PDA

View Full Version : Should the Chiefs insert Brodie Croyle to get his feet wet?

suds79
12-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Take your pick.

noa
Not yet

ChiefsCountry
No not this year.

Hammock Parties
12-10-2006, 10:00 PM
No. We're still in the playoff hunt. Play it out.

12-10-2006, 10:00 PM
give him some scrub time at the end of the last two games. Nothing more.

CtrlAltDel
12-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Give Trent one more half with the offense just so it doesn't look like we're giving up. Then when we're down 30-0 put Croyle in.

Simplex3
12-10-2006, 10:01 PM
You play everyone and anyone who's had their first legal beer in the last two years.

the Talking Can
12-10-2006, 10:06 PM
nah...guys been sitting on the bench all year...though it would be tempting after San Diego....

let Trent play out the last games, then make hard decisions for next year...

no need to rush croyle....Rivers/Palmer didn't play, it helped them I think

Iowanian
12-10-2006, 10:13 PM
no.

Logical
12-10-2006, 10:24 PM
Definitely for the Jacksonville game, it would be unfair to do it against San Diego.

Imon Yourside
12-10-2006, 10:35 PM
Yes, we need a youth movement and if Carl doesn't get peeps used to the idea of youth now he knows he won't sell tickets for next year.

KrazyKorean4
12-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Give Trent one more half with the offense just so it doesn't look like we're giving up. Then when we're down 30-0 put Croyle in.
People like you make me sick. You're not a real Chiefs fan sir, if you don't have any confidence at all.

Brock
12-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Trent Green will still be the best QB on this team next year. So f*ck no.

cdcox
12-10-2006, 10:51 PM
I say no, not just for the winning but it would be like cracking a home brew a day after you bottled it. He isn't ready yet. The plan was to let him sit, watch, learn offense, heal his body, and put some meat on his frame. That is the plan; sitick with it. By putting him in early, you are unlikely to learn anything and just might destroy any future hope by rattling his confidence. That is why I'm glad Shanny decided to start Jake II.

suds79
12-10-2006, 10:54 PM
People like you make me sick. You're not a real Chiefs fan sir, if you don't have any confidence at all.

Question. Are you saying CtrlAltDel is not a real Chiefs fan simply because he doesn't have any confidence in this team?

That's not "Being a real fan." That's accepting reality.

I love the Chiefs more than any other sports team. But even I can admit they're average at best.

PastorMikH
12-10-2006, 11:16 PM
At this point, I think we should start Trent, but bring Croyle in for some playing time during the course of the game (not cleanup in the last few minutes either). Trent will be our starter next year no doubt. But putting Croyle in will allow the staff some looks to see if he can handle backup duties or if we need to throw some cash and Huard to keep him around. (I think he may have a look or two at some potential starting jobs by the way he played this year and may cost a fair bit more. So, if we could get buy with a cheaper option with similar play from someone already on the roster I'd be for it).

Even though we aren't mathmatically elliminated yet, there's no way of getting to the playoffs now. We went into Cleveland knowing we needed to win and didn't get it done against one of the weakest teams in the NFL. Then, today we knew we absolutely HAD TO WIN and still choked.

Not only should we play Croyle, I'd be for playing some of the other young players and let them continue to develope. Webb should be kick/punt returning, let's go ahead and let some of those guys see more time at WR too. With the season all by mathmatically over, why not let our younger players get some playing time and start developing now.

Scorp
12-10-2006, 11:31 PM
No. We're still in the playoff hunt. Play it out.

Don't be stupid man, It is over!

el borracho
12-11-2006, 12:21 AM
No, not Croyle but the young safeties should be starting and playing a ton.

LanceHunter
12-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Lets see , if I say yes start Croyle , I'll get bashed on the bb . On the other hand if I say let Green play out the last games , I'll have to bash myself . What a choice , well I'll just go end around with what I said the last few weeks , and that is that it was a bone head decision to pull Huard , it jinxed the club , he was leading the team well , the O & D were in a good rythm , and now it's totally fooked up. IMHO the team would have 2 more in the win column if Huard would have remained as the starter . What we need now is to trade GM's with the Doncs , at least he had the balls to make a change at QB . If we take Green out now , it will look like were copying the Doncs move. The question remains, when will fans vote with their wallets ? Maybe when were in the 25th year of King Carl's 5 year plan , wow only 8 more years of ticket and parking increases , I wonder what the average is if you add the wins , and losses and divide by the last 6 years ? Would proably be pretty mediocre numbers . I can at least look forward to Bill Self at KU finding a way to waste a talented squad come playoff time.
And now heres some Yogi-isms that seem to fit the occasion.

I really didn't say everything I said.

If you ask me a question I don't know, I'm not going to answer.

It ain't the heat; it's the humility.

It's deja-vu all over again.

If I didn't wake up, I'd still be sleeping.

The other teams could make trouble for us if they win.

I knew I was going to take the wrong train, so I left early.

If you can't imitate him, don't copy him.

Never answer an anonymous letter.

90% of the game is half mental.

It's not too far, it just seems like it is.

If you don't set goals, you can't regret not reaching them.

Slump? I ain't in no slump. I just ain't hitting.

We were overwhelming underdogs.

A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

The future ain't what it used to be.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Pair up in threes.

Don't get me right, I'm just asking.

I wish I had an answer to that, because I'm tired of answering that question.

You give 100 percent in the first half of the game, and if that isn't enough in the second half you give what's left.

We made too many wrong mistakes.

If people don't want to come to the ball park, how are you going to stop them?
I knew exactly where it was, I just couldn't find it.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.

You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.

The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.

I don't remember leaving, so I guess we didn't go.

I usually take a two hour nap, from one to four.

It was hard to have a conversation with anyone - there were too many people talking.

I always thought that record would stand until it was broken.

You can observe a lot just by watching.

Shut up and talk.

CHIEF4EVER
12-11-2006, 06:22 AM
Should the Chiefs insert Brodie Croyle to get his feet wet?

No. At least not until a suitable replacement for I-65 has been found. I don't think he needs any practice getting sacked.

King_Chief_Fan
12-11-2006, 07:19 AM
What do we possibly lose by inserting Croyle?
The season is lost and I don't think I can stand to watch any more games where TrInt "Plummers" his way into retirement.

I preferred Huard to continue playing, but it is too late now to change that. Green has pissed away two important games since his return. He is 2-3 for the season with an awful QB rating. Yes, I am blaming him for the Cleveland game. He had the possesion in OT. Usually the coin flip determines who wins.... at least thats what half or more of this board claims when the Chiefs are on the losing end of the toss. Anyway, he had a chance to lead this team down for at least a FG and failed.

I think he is still goofy from the hit. He doesn't look like the Green of 2005.

J Diddy
12-11-2006, 07:36 AM
What do we possibly lose by inserting Croyle?
The season is lost and I don't think I can stand to watch any more games where TrInt "Plummers" his way into retirement.

I preferred Huard to continue playing, but it is too late now to change that. Green has pissed away two important games since his return. He is 2-3 for the season with an awful QB rating. Yes, I am blaming him for the Cleveland game. He had the possesion in OT. Usually the coin flip determines who wins.... at least thats what half or more of this board claims when the Chiefs are on the losing end of the toss. Anyway, he had a chance to lead this team down for at least a FG and failed.

I think he is still goofy from the hit. He doesn't look like the Green of 2005.

my how quickly people turn on you

Chief Chief
12-11-2006, 09:14 AM
(slurring after 15th beer) "John Brodie's way too f*$#in' old!!"

Chief Nute
12-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Jesus Christ......are you kidding???

I cant stand the way some people in here are always banging for Brodie ****ing Croyle. You would think that the kid was some sort of highly touted QB prodigy. He led a PISS POOR Alabama offense and had a good combine to even be drafted where he was! This kid will never be anything but a clipboard holder for the rest of his career. Some guys are ready to plug him in like he is the going to be the QB for the Chiefs for the next 10 years. The successor to Trent.....LMFAO!

This board cracks me up sometimes.......Trent throws for 4 TD's last week, was one of the main reasons that we got out to a big lead, but this year he looks bad against the best defense in the NFL (like most QB's do against Baltimore) and now we are ready to look to the so called "future" with our mid-round draft pick QB prodigy. Give me a break.

Chiefnj
12-11-2006, 09:37 AM
I hope Croyle starts. It's a hedonistic request. I just look forward to the complete meltdown of the Planet when he plays poorly.

HemiEd
12-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Sink or swim, we are not going anywhere. Put him in the Oakland game second half, let him start against Jax.

jspchief
12-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Unless Green has told the team he's retiring at the end of the year, no way should we play Croyle at all. Even if we are mathematically eliminated from the posat-season.

The last thing we need is for Croyle to play well and create a QB contoversy for next season. You saw all the idiots that jumped on the Huard bandwagon. The same thing will happen if Croyle plays decent.

FAX
12-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Help please.

I didn't see the game due to my geographic challenges. Were the picks Trent's fault? I head on some NFL show that Parker didn't turn his head or ran the wrong route or something on one of them. True?

FAX

Chiefnj
12-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Unless Green has told the team he's retiring at the end of the year, no way should we play Croyle at all. Even if we are mathematically eliminated from the posat-season.

The last thing we need is for Croyle to play well and create a QB contoversy for next season. You saw all the idiots that jumped on the Huard bandwagon. The same thing will happen if Croyle plays decent.

I hate to say it, but I think it's time to shop Green and Tony G for some draft picks.

ChiefsCountry
12-11-2006, 09:46 AM
All of us fans might have given up on the Chiefs, but technincally we are still in it and hopefully the players, coaches don't give in yet, well other than what they have shown the last two weeks.

jspchief
12-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Help please.

I didn't see the game due to my geographic challenges. Were the picks Trent's fault? I head on some NFL show that Parker didn't turn his head or ran the wrong route or something on one of them. True?

FAXTrent was under heavy pressure with one pick that he threw too high and it got tipped into the air by the receiver.

The second pick he was throwing to a spot that the receiver was headed for and Ed Reed just made a great play. There were 3 defenders in the area, but the ball was pretty on target.

I wouldn't put 100% of the blame on Green, but I don't think there was really any receiver error either. Green had a pretty mediocre day overall, but he had people on his ass all day too. Our O-line is just not good.

CHIEF4EVER
12-11-2006, 09:49 AM
Our O-line is just not good.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

ChiefsCountry
12-11-2006, 09:49 AM
Green had people in his grill all day. His throws were rushed to avoid getting the crap knocked out of him.

FAX
12-11-2006, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys.

Sort of what I imagined.

FAX

KC-TBB
12-11-2006, 09:55 AM
What about the wide open guys that he throws at their feet...even the TD to Dante was so low he had to fall down to catch it...I think he is hearing the sound of feet even when they are not there.

Chief Chief
12-11-2006, 09:55 AM
I beg to differ. Trent, without any pressure on him whatsoever, made a marvelous throw directly to Ed Reed. There was absolutely no way for Parker to catch that ball. Most of Trent's throws were off-target all day, throwing way wide right on a non-pressure short throw in the flat to Wilson, down below the knees to Kennison on a 15-20 yard route, etc.

jspchief
12-11-2006, 09:58 AM
What about the wide open guys that he throws at their feet...even the TD to Dante was so low he had to fall down to catch it...I think he is hearing the sound of feet even when they are not there.I think he's clearly lost some of his touch with all the missed playing time, and let's be honest Green has never had a lot of touch on his throws to begin with.

Between drops and poor throws, the screen pass has become extinct in this offense.

Rain Man
12-11-2006, 10:01 AM
Criminy, people. We're still alive in the playoff race.

BIG_DADDY
12-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Absolutely, give the kid a chance.

BIG_DADDY
12-11-2006, 10:05 AM

We were out of the race when Herm put a skirt on the team against Cleveland.

Otter
12-11-2006, 10:08 AM
If they wanted to see how he could perform in a game situation they would. That might break up the 7-9 and 9-7 legacy though and bring in a fresh face at QB.

Never happen.

CupidStunt
12-11-2006, 10:09 AM

I cant stand the way some people in here are always banging for Brodie ****ing Croyle. You would think that the kid was some sort of highly touted QB prodigy. He led a PISS POOR Alabama offense and had a good combine to even be drafted where he was! This kid will never be anything but a clipboard holder for the rest of his career. Some guys are ready to plug him in like he is the going to be the QB for the Chiefs for the next 10 years. The successor to Trent.....LMFAO!

This board cracks me up sometimes.......Trent throws for 4 TD's last week, was one of the main reasons that we got out to a big lead, but this year he looks bad against the best defense in the NFL (like most QB's do against Baltimore) and now we are ready to look to the so called "future" with our mid-round draft pick QB prodigy. Give me a break.

News flash, dude: the Chiefs took him in the third-round. He's not a wideout who might make an impact some time, or a running back who'll add a change of pace, or a linebacker who'll play some special teams.

You take a quarterback in the third round with the vision of him starting for your franchise, or as a developmental prospect behind a quarterback with maybe 2 years left.

5th round and later, maybe. Perhaps even the first day.

But kids ain't drafted in the third round to do nothing.

Croyle will, at some point, be allowed to show if he has anything.

ChiefsCountry
12-11-2006, 10:10 AM
News flash, dude: the Chiefs took him in the third-round. He's not a wideout who might make an impact some time, or a running back who'll add a change of pace, or a linebacker who'll play some special teams.

You take a quarterback in the third round with the vision of him starting for your franchise, or as a developmental prospect behind a quarterback with maybe 2 years left.

You dont remember Matt Blundin do you?

Frazod
12-11-2006, 10:11 AM
There should have been a WHO GIVES A SHIT? option.

Like I care at this point what these assholes do. :shake:

Redrum_69
12-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Brodie Croyle IS NOT the future.

The guy on the practice squad is

jspchief
12-11-2006, 10:17 AM

The guy on the practice squad isPrinters?

Yea, clearly he's the future. Great QBs usually make a full season on the PS without being snatched up by another team. :rolleyes:

Redrum_69
12-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Printers?

Yea, clearly he's the future. Great QBs usually make a full season on the PS without being snatched up by another team. :rolleyes:

You need to take off your blinders, you wannabe Chiefs fan

Otter
12-11-2006, 10:19 AM

The guy on the practice squad is

Your Mom is running the practice squad. All the members do deep squats for half the day and tackle her the other half followed by hitting her in the shower.

jspchief
12-11-2006, 10:23 AM
You need to take off your blinders, you wannabe Chiefs fanNot sure if that is sarcasm or what...

But if anyone is wearing blinders it's the person that thinks Casey Printers will ever be anything in the NFL. There's a reason he was untouched on our PS.

InChiefsHeaven
12-11-2006, 10:43 AM
If we lose in San Diego, I wouldn't have a problem playing the kid against the Faiders. If the post season is gone, you might as well start some young talent to get them some game experience. This goes for safeties, recievers and the quarterback. IF we win in San Diego (sha, and monkeys might fly out my butt) then you stay with Green until we are eliminated. Having said that, I think if we win in SD we will win out...still miss the playoffs but at least end the season with a respectable record and something to build on.

I think Trent Green is one of the best things that ever happened to this team. I don't think though that he looked good at all yesterday. Pick number 2 was supposedly a timing route and Parker just didn't get there in time. BS. The pass was thrown to far out in front of Parker, right to a defender. Pick number one just never should have been thrown. Threw it off his back foot. Should have tucked it and taken the sack. The fumble...was on Welbourn for not blocking his guy. But Trent didn't even sense a problem. He just is not his old self. I hate to see that, and I hate to say that, but it's true.

We're going to have to rebuild. Get some youth in there. The heady days of big offense are gone in KC, sadly. We need to check out Webb at WR, let him return kicks and punts as well.

I don't know. I have too many thoughts in my mind to get them sorted out. All I know is, if we lose in SD, we are out. I'm ready for a change. We have nothing to lose.

InChiefsHeaven
12-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Not sure if that is sarcasm or what...

But if anyone is wearing blinders it's the person that thinks Casey Printers will ever be anything in the NFL. There's a reason he was untouched on our PS.

Indeed.

Chief Nute
12-11-2006, 10:48 AM

News flash to you, "dude"

Here is a list of QB's from the 2000's that were taken around or near where we took Saint Brodie......

Kellen Clemens
Tavarius Jackson
Sage Roselfels
Chris Weinke
Chris Redman
Luke McCown
Josh McCown
Charlie Frye
Seneca Wallace
Marques Tuisosopo
Quincy Carter
David Greene
Chris Simms
Dave Ragone
Matt Schaub
Andrew Walter

Can you find me a QB on that list that is going to lead any franchise to the playoffs let alone a Super Bowl???? Most have been let go and are selling insurance or they are career backups. Which is what Brodie will always be. He doesnt deserve a shot just because we spent a 3rd round draft pick on him.

In fact, my next point proves it is DUMB to take a QB past the 2nd round.

The following QB's which are currently starting (in the top 20 in passer rating) that were taken outside the Top 2 rounds of the NFL draft

Tony Romo
Marc Bulger
Tom Brady
Matt Hasselback
Jake Delhomme

THAT IS IT!!

And I would venture to say that by looking at that short list, NONE of those guys were EVER drafted with the visions of having them take the reigns of a football team and be the "FUTURE". Those guys were diamonds in the rough that wound up in good situations and were thrust into action and produced in situations that were already pretty good (maybe Hasselback is an exception as he was groomed by Holmgren)

But you get my point......

If we have a future at QB.....it wont be Brodie. It will be some free agent that we pick up, or some stud QB that we draft in Rounds 1 and 2 that is drafted with the intention of being a FUTURE stud QB that can lead us deep into the playoffs.

OK I'm done.

banyon
12-11-2006, 10:51 AM
No reason right now that we need to be as stupid as the Broncos.

Let's get clobbered by SD, then start him.

htismaqe
12-11-2006, 10:58 AM

Somebody never watched Bama play with Croyle as QB.

Sorry, bud, but you're misinformed.

FAX
12-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Croyle learned to run for his life and take hellacious, nasty hits at Alabama.

He'll fit right in with our offense.

FAX

Chief Chief
12-11-2006, 11:02 AM

"So you're telling me there's a chance.."
- Lloyd Christmas, "Dumb and Dumber"

Chief Nute
12-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Somebody never watched Bama play with Croyle as QB.

Sorry, bud, but you're misinformed.

I watched plenty of Brodie Croyle as a collegiate. He was a good college QB with some pro-like qualities. Lots of college QB's possess these things. That is why Saint Brodie was selected in the 3rd round like the rest of the bums that I mentioned in my previous post

Mr. Laz
12-11-2006, 12:29 PM
after the next loss

PastorMikH
12-11-2006, 01:02 PM
after the next loss

I agree. It would be better for his first start to be in Oakland rather than San Diego.

htismaqe
12-11-2006, 01:05 PM
I watched plenty of Brodie Croyle as a collegiate. He was a good college QB with some pro-like qualities. Lots of college QB's possess these things. That is why Saint Brodie was selected in the 3rd round like the rest of the bums that I mentioned in my previous post

Croyle was selected in the 3rd round because he has two surgically reconstructed knees and has also injured a shoulder. He was universally recognized by scouts as a 1st or 2nd-round talent with a history of severe injuries.

Chiefnj
12-11-2006, 01:11 PM
He was universally recognized by scouts as a 1st or 2nd-round talent with a history of severe injuries.

I've learned that 1st and 2nd round talent gets drafted in the 1st and 2nd round. McGahee for instance. The whole "he dropped because of injury, experience, etc., is a bit of an excuse." Like the old "Wilkerson would have been a 1st or 2nd round pick if he stayed in school another year." Experience tells us, he was drafted where he should have been.

buddha
12-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Of course you give Croyle some time THIS season. Why wouldn't you? That doesn't mean that he has to start or be thrown to the wolves. We don't have the luxury of knowing what's going to happen with Green.

What are we scared of? Ask the Dallas, Arizona or Tennessee fans if they're happy about their younger QB being on the field right now?

There is no substitute for NFL game experience and the sooner Brady gets it, the better it will be for him and for the Chiefs.

Rausch
12-11-2006, 01:58 PM
after the next loss

Now that we can't make the playoffs I bet we win out, like we seem to do every year...

htismaqe
12-11-2006, 03:02 PM
I've learned that 1st and 2nd round talent gets drafted in the 1st and 2nd round. McGahee for instance. The whole "he dropped because of injury, experience, etc., is a bit of an excuse." Like the old "Wilkerson would have been a 1st or 2nd round pick if he stayed in school another year." Experience tells us, he was drafted where he should have been.

Experience doesn't tell us anything in the case of Croyle.

Unless he started a bunch of games while Trent was out and I missed it.

El Jefe
12-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Thats stupid why would we plug him in when we are still in the playoff hunt. Croyle is not our QB of the future. We should trade up if Troy Smith is left in the 2nd round. As a die hard buckeye fan we could use him, he is very good 67% completion rating, he knows how to win the big games and he can scramble. He is sweet.

trndobrd
12-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Trent Starts for the rest of the season. If we lose at SD and are eliminated, I would still start Trent in the remaining games. However, I would put Croyle in for one series against the Raiders and and two series against the Jags just to see if we should keep him or not.

banyon
12-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Thats stupid why would we plug him in when we are still in the playoff hunt. Croyle is not our QB of the future. We should trade up if Troy Smith is left in the 2nd round. As a die hard buckeye fan we could use him, he is very good 67% completion rating, he knows how to win the big games and he can scramble. He is sweet.

Worst idea ever.

shaneo69
12-11-2006, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't play Croyle this year. First of all, I wouldn't want to throw him to the wolves on the road in a hostile environment. That leaves the season finale against Jax, and I don't see any upside in letting him play the last game of the season. Whether he looked good or bad in that one meaningless game, people will overreact.

Let him go play in NFL Europe and see how he looks over there. I think a full season over there will tell us more than a meaningless season finale here.

El Jefe
12-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Why is that the worst idea ever. Smith is a great pocket passer highest completion percentage in Big Ten History, he doesnt make mistakes, he is more than capable of scrambling. He has a laser rocket arm. Brodie was a waste of a third round pick we should of went defense again with that pick.

Scaga
12-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Why is that the worst idea ever. Smith is a great pocket passer highest completion percentage in Big Ten History, he doesnt make mistakes, he is more than capable of scrambling. He has a laser rocket arm. Brodie was a waste of a third round pick we should of went defense again with that pick.

Whatever dude....
There's never been a Heisman Trophy QB that completely sucked in NFL before? :rolleyes:

underEJ
12-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Croyle is doing a great job. His job is to stand on the sidelines in a uni and listen and learn this whole season, and hopefully one more season. Then it is reasonable to demand he show is he's as advertised. He was selected needing a year or two of development so let it go until then.

Croyle may or may not be the future, but I am certain the future is not now.

PastorMikH
12-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Croyle is not our QB of the future.

Then why did we draft him?

We haven't seen enough of him yet to know. That's why I would like to see him get some playing time in a live game with the starting personel.

Calcountry
12-11-2006, 04:11 PM
I would love to see Brodie practice his handoffs.

banyon
12-11-2006, 04:13 PM

Well for starters, if we draft him in the 2nd, that's stupid because we can probably get him in the 6th. Also, you have concluded Brodie Croyle is a waste without even taking a snap under center. Was that your conclusion about Phillip Rivers before the season began too? So it's stupid 2nd because we have already made an investment here, like it or not, and need to see if it has any value. How many teams carry 2 top 3 round QB's on their roster? ZERO. 3rd, those college numbers don't translate automatically into NFL numbers. Tee Martin set the NCAA record for completion percentage in a game, but you probably don't know who that is because he washed out a couple of years back. Troy Smith has been the beneficiary of playing with a lead all season with a great defense behind him and a scaled back offense.

So, other than it's 4 rounds too high, the fact that we already have a top 3 round QB on the roster, and the propensity of QB's who play for top-level NCAA teams to not pan out in the pro's, it's a fantastic idea.

Chief Nute
12-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Well for starters, if we draft him in the 2nd, that's stupid because we can probably get him in the 6th. Also, you have concluded Brodie Croyle is a waste without even taking a snap under center. Was that your conclusion about Phillip Rivers before the season began too? So it's stupid 2nd because we have already made an investment here, like it or not, and need to see if it has any value. How many teams carry 2 top 3 round QB's on their roster? ZERO. 3rd, those college numbers don't translate automatically into NFL numbers. Tee Martin set the NCAA record for completion percentage in a game, but you probably don't know who that is because he washed out a couple of years back. Troy Smith has been the beneficiary of playing with a lead all season with a great defense behind him and a scaled back offense.

So, other than it's 4 rounds too high, the fact that we already have a top 3 round QB on the roster, and the propensity of QB's who play for top-level NCAA teams to not pan out in the pro's, it's a fantastic idea.

While I would never think that Troy Smith is going to be a great pick for THIS football team, I disagree with just about everything you had to say in this post.

Why do you conclude that if you can get someone in the 2nd that you can get them in the 6th??? That makes no sense. If a guy is a projected 2nd rounder, he will probably go close to there. Not in the 6th round.

Secondly.....BRODIE CROYLE IS NOT PHILLIP RIVERS!!!!!!!!!!! Phillip Rivers was a FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK. I explained in my earlier post the difference between a 1st/2nd round QB and a 3rd/4th round QB....it is HUGE!!!! You DO NOT draft a QB in the 3rd round with the impression that he is your FUTURE. Never. I just dont understand why a 3rd round QB deserves a shot to start just because we drafted him. Do you think that other teams are saying that Dave Ragone or Sage Rosenfels or whoever was on my list from before DESERVES a shot?? Of course not. And neither does Brodie.

I definately agree that college numbers do not translate into NFL numbers. However your Troy Smith views are way off. Ohio State is an offensive team first....not defense. Nothing was "scaled back" in this offense.....and when the game got out of hand, he left the game. Not like Brady Quinn who was allowed to run up the score and pad his stats.

htismaqe
12-11-2006, 04:48 PM
While I would never think that Troy Smith is going to be a great pick for THIS football team, I disagree with just about everything you had to say in this post.

Why do you conclude that if you can get someone in the 2nd that you can get them in the 6th??? That makes no sense. If a guy is a projected 2nd rounder, he will probably go close to there. Not in the 6th round.

Secondly.....BRODIE CROYLE IS NOT PHILLIP RIVERS!!!!!!!!!!! Phillip Rivers was a FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK. I explained in my earlier post the difference between a 1st/2nd round QB and a 3rd/4th round QB....it is HUGE!!!! You DO NOT draft a QB in the 3rd round with the impression that he is your FUTURE. Never. I just dont understand why a 3rd round QB deserves a shot to start just because we drafted him. Do you think that other teams are saying that Dave Ragone or Sage Rosenfels or whoever was on my list from before DESERVES a shot?? Of course not. And neither does Brodie.

I definately agree that college numbers do not translate into NFL numbers. However your Troy Smith views are way off. Ohio State is an offensive team first....not defense. Nothing was "scaled back" in this offense.....and when the game got out of hand, he left the game. Not like Brady Quinn who was allowed to run up the score and pad his stats.

I TOTALLY agree with you on Troy Smith. He's a solid 2nd-round prospect.

And if Troy Smith had blown out both knees, he'd be less than a 2nd-round prospect. That doesn't make him any less talented any more than it makes you correct about Croyle.

Croyle was a 2nd-round prospect who's stock dropped due to injury and nothing more. But that's ok, what do Gil Brandt and other professional scouts know that you don't, right?

jspchief
12-11-2006, 05:27 PM
I love the argument that Croyle won't be good because of where he was drafted.

Ryan Leaf, Trent Green, and Tom Brady all agree.

suds79
12-11-2006, 05:28 PM
I just don't see how you could lose by putting him in.

The season is over. There is no denying that.

1 - If Croyle like cr@p, then that'll tell us we need to shop for a QBOTF.

2 - If Croyle plays just decent to good (remember just a rookie) then you have your QBOTF.

The team needs a major youth overhaul anyways.

jspchief
12-11-2006, 05:44 PM

2 - If Croyle plays just decent to good (remember just a rookie) then you have your QBOTF.

The team needs a major youth overhaul anyways.First off, the season isn't over. Besides the fact that the play-offs are still a possibility, there are a lot of fans in the stadium and at home that aren't willing to just toss the remaining four games into the trash basket.

Secondly, if he plays well, we've created a QB controversy for all the idiots that always think the other guy is better.

Until Green retires or gets injured, he's the only QB that should be playing. You don't start nudging your existing QB out the door by blatantly setting the stage for his replacement.

cdcox
12-11-2006, 05:57 PM

Suppose you walk into a college class and the first day the prof gives you a final exam over the material. You fail it. Does that mean you couldn't learn the material?

Your "test" is unrealistic because Croyle isn't ready to start. If we thought we could draft a QB straight out of college and have them start, we wouldn't bother to draft them a couple years in advance to develop.

Green has been one of the best QBs in the league over the last 5 years. He's the best QB we've had 30 years, except possibly for when we had Montana. In all likelihood, the next QB won't be as good.I don't see why everyone is in such a rush to boot the best QB we've had in 30 years out the door. That day will come soon enough.

Fairplay
12-11-2006, 06:07 PM

Calm down dude your'e losing it.

Take deep breathes....relax.....relax......

FringeNC
12-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Croyle was not one of these guys like Leinart who threw all the time and played in a sophisticated offense at Alabama. I think taking the Tony Romo approach is the thing to do. Let him absorb the pro game (and gain some weight) before we throw him out there...

One thing he already knows from college is having no time to throw playing behind a shitty line...

Trent is going anywhere from at least two more years I have to think.

Hammock Parties
12-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Croyle was not one of these guys like Leinart who threw all the time and played in a sophisticated offense at Alabama. I

It's closer than you think. They ran the Coryell offense at Alabama.

FringeNC
12-11-2006, 06:34 PM
It's closer than you think. They ran the Coryell offense at Alabama.

You sure about that?

suds79
12-11-2006, 06:36 PM
First off, the season isn't over. Besides the fact that the play-offs are still a possibility, there are a lot of fans in the stadium and at home that aren't willing to just toss the remaining four games into the trash basket.

Secondly, if he plays well, we've created a QB controversy for all the idiots that always think the other guy is better.

Until Green retires or gets injured, he's the only QB that should be playing. You don't start nudging your existing QB out the door by blatantly setting the stage for his replacement.

You sound like if we were to have our 20 something QB play well, that'd be a bad thing. :hmmm:

Skip Towne
12-11-2006, 06:41 PM

Joe Montana was a 3rd round pick.

Hammock Parties
12-11-2006, 06:41 PM
You sure about that?

Positive.

ChiefsCountry
12-11-2006, 06:43 PM
You sure about that?

Yes under Shula they did.

Croyle slipped in the draft due to his injury prone past. Every scouting report that I read during draft time, dogged him of that and being skinny. Everything else was very first round like.

jspchief
12-11-2006, 09:02 PM
You sound like if we were to have our 20 something QB play well, that'd be a bad thing. :hmmm:Are you ready to have Green gone?

Look at my avatar. I certainly have nothing against Croyle. But at the same time I recognize that we have a QB starting for us right now that has done a lot of amazing things on the field. This offense may be on the decline, but I'm still reluctant to toss out the best QB this organization has ever had.

I want Croyle to succeed every bit as much as any Chiefs fan out there. But his success while Green is still on this team will only create drama. Unless Green is hurt or we're benching him, I see little positive that can come from sitting him for Croyle. It's a recipe for disaster.

Manila-Chief
12-11-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm with Pastor Mike & HemiEd regarding playing him (not starting him but give him playing time with first unit) ... we have to "try" and win for the S.D. game so Trent plays that game. The NFL will not be happy if we "give up," so we have to "play to win" the S.D. game ... but if it were me, I'd give the young guys experience for this upcoming game.

I'd let Trent start the last 2 games and then put him in for say the 2nd and/or 3rd. quarter to give him some eperience. Live game action is the best training.... much better than NFLE. If we are out of the playoffs what do we gain by Trent (or the other vets) playing all of the final games. Use those games to prepare for the future.

Yes, I'd, also, sprinkle in the young guys on both O and D and give them some experience.

Regarding QB's taken after 2nd. round ... does anyone remember the round Lenny was taken in the NFL??? I'm typing this watching MNF ... guess which round Bulger was taken in ... 6th.

Brodie may not pan out but how else will we find out about him. The coaching staff liked him enough to draft him and protect him. I say give him some real snaps.

If this Smith guy is so great why will he not be taken in the 1st.????

Hammock Parties
01-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Dammit. If only we had gotten Brodie some playing time.