PDA

View Full Version : Posnanski on Herm

DeezNutz
12-10-2006, 11:33 PM
I enjoyed this column very much and agree, almost entirely, on his assessment of Herm. Before Edwards leaves KC, I firmly believe he'll build a defense that can suck the life out of most teams. Unfortunately, he'll take us just far enough, that the crash will leave the rest of us sucking our thumbs from the trauma.

Another side of Edwards is now in full bloom
By Joe Posnanski

McClatchy Newspapers

(MCT)

The scouting report from New York on Herman Edwards had three parts:

1. He will be very impressive.

2. He will get the players to play hard and, at times, above themselves.

3. When it comes down to the big moments, he will go into a shell so large you could buy gasoline and Snickers bars in it.

Here we are, 13 games into this odd Chiefs season, and we've seen the entire array of Herm, the complete Hermography. For much of the year, he did have this Chiefs team playing inspired football. They lost their Hall of Fame left tackle before the season began, lost their quarterback in the first game, and they dealt with various other setbacks, issues, problems. Still they won games. They rebounded. One week after a devastating loss at Denver, they blew out San Francisco 41-0. One week after getting their helmets handed to them in Pittsburgh, they beat San Diego, probably the best team in football.

In a five-day span, they beat their two biggest rivals - Denver and Oakland.

It was amazing to watch. The Chiefs have average talent. That's pretty clear now. Coming into Sunday's game, they were ranked 13th in the NFL in offense and 14th in defense, so that's about as mediocre as you can be. But Herm Edwards could make a rock believe, and it was fun to see him transform the Chiefs from the offensive circus/defensive nightmare of the Dick Vermeil years tightly knit team that played hard through everything.

Ah, but there is that third part of the equation, isn't there? We saw a little bit of the Herm-shell last week in Cleveland, when the Chiefs built a 14-point fourth-quarter lead and then dropped the defense back into some sort of pillow-soft "hope they don't score" zone. The Chiefs lost the game and a chance to go 8-4. It was a real blow.

But Sunday, for the first time, we saw the full Herm-shell, the ultra-conservative game plan that created a baldness epidemic on Long Island - because people pulled out their hair watching it. The Chiefs trailed 6-0 in the third quarter, which tells you the first half was hardly an offensive drag race. But the Chiefs were about to downshift even more. They got the ball, and the play-calling matrix looked like this.

Run. Run. Pass.

Run. Run. Pass.

Pass. Run. Sack.

This, of course, led to a punt (Olathe Northwest baseball coach Jay Novacek used the Chiefs' play-calling pattern to write a little song that goes to the "Jingle Bells" melody_Run, run, pass/run, run, pass/punt the ball away/Oh how hard it is to watch/the Chiefs just fade away, hey!).

The next time the Chiefs got the ball, they were down 13-0. You would expect the Chiefs offense to have a little more urgency. You would expect wrong.

Run. Run. Pass.

Run. Run. Pass.

Run. Run. Sack.

That led to a meaningless field goal. To be fair, there were obvious reasons why the Chiefs went into hiding. When they tried to throw in the first half, quarterback Trent Green got hit, and quarterback Trent Green made mistakes. Those were about the only two options. Before he padded his stats with a meaningless final drive, Green completed nine of 20 passes for 102 yards and two interceptions. That makes a lovely quarterback rating of 21.2. Throw in five sacks and a lost fumble, and that shows you pretty clearly why Herm's Chiefs went to the Woody Hayes cloud-of-dust offense.

We interrupt this column to point out the following without further comment:

Damon Huard: Eight starts. Record 5-3. Eleven touchdown passes. One interception. Quarterback rating of 97.6.

Trent Green: Five starts. Record 2-3. Five touchdown passes. Five interceptions. Quarterback rating of 82.7.

OK, back to our regularly scheduled column. It looked as if the Chiefs plodded and punted their way right out of the game in the third quarter. Then something amazing happened. A holiday gift. Early in the fourth quarter, with the Chiefs down 10 points, the Ravens' Ovie Mughelli fumbled the ball. It was really a double gift_replays showed pretty clearly that his elbow was down when the ball popped loose. But Baltimore coach Brian Billick, perhaps for reasons of charity and mercy, did not challenge the play.

So the Chiefs got the ball on the Baltimore 43 with a chance to save the season. Naturally, they ran the ball on first down. But on second down, Green threw. It was an incomplete pass. On third down, Green threw again. And again it was incomplete.

So it was fourth down and 6, ball on the Baltimore 39, season and playoffs on the line, and what did Herm Edwards do? You already know. Herm Edwards punted.

"I wasn't going to give them the ball on the 40," Edwards said.

And there you go. With the ball on the Baltimore 39, down two scores, in a game the Chiefs absolutely had to win_Herm Edwards punted for 25 yards of field position. Let's take a moment to look at the two scenarios.

Go for it. Best-case scenario: You make it, score a touchdown and get right back in the game, perhaps save the season. Worst-case scenario: You give the Ravens the ball on the 39.

Punt. Best-case scenario: You pin the Ravens back, stop them, make them punt, drive for a score against a defense that has owned you all day, kick off, stop them again, get the ball back, drive for another score, all before the clock runs out. Worst-case scenario: Anything else.

"There was still enough time," Edwards insisted. Only, in the end, there wasn't. The Ravens went on an infuriating 9-minute drive, and the Chiefs' playoff dreams ended before they got the ball back. It was like watching a pool hustler run the table. And it hurt most of all because it seemed as if the man famous for saying "You play to win the game" had not.

Herm Edwards, I believe, is a tremendous football coach. He was given a flawed Chiefs team, and for a long time he had them playing like one of the better teams in the NFL. He is a guy who, given the right players, can rebuild the Chiefs into a playoff team. Sunday, though, he showed his one vice: He refused to take the chance when the game was on the line.

Would it have mattered Sunday? Nah. In the end, the Ravens are a better team than the Chiefs, and they played better Sunday. Still, we'll never know. And you kind of wish the Chiefs had at least gone down swinging.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 11:37 PM
How can Herm be a tremendous football coach if in two successive weeks with chances to slam the door or get back in a game he shrunk like a cock jammed in a snow drift?

milkman
12-10-2006, 11:38 PM
That run, run, pass jingle is classic.

Hammock Parties
12-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Yep. Shoulda gone for it.

The defense came up with a spectacular, potentially game-saving play and the offense did CRAP.

Demonpenz
12-10-2006, 11:41 PM
that 4th and long was brutal

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Yep. Shoulda gone for it.

The defense came up with a spectacular, potentially game-saving play and the offense did CRAP.

Getting lucky because of a blown call isn't spectacular and it's not game-saving...it's lucky.

This is why you shouldn't be a journalist, you don't have any semblance of objectivity.

Hammock Parties
12-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Getting lucky because of a blown call isn't spectacular and it's not game-saving...it's lucky.

I thought it was a questionable call, at best. And Todd Heap DEFINITELY fumbled a few players earlier, so it was a make up call in my mind.

This is why you shouldn't be a journalist, you don't have any semblance of objectivity.

**** you. I'm not a homer. I've doled out my fair share of criticism this year.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 11:46 PM
I thought it was a questionable call, at best. And Todd Heap DEFINITELY fumbled a few players earlier, so it was a make up call in my mind.

**** you.

Re: Heap

You mean the fumble where it was still in his hand when he slammed it on the ground??

Just give up, you're killing yourself.

Hammock Parties
12-10-2006, 11:47 PM
You mean the fumble where it was still in his hand when he slammed it on the ground??

He fumbled before that. It was CLEARLY a fumble. We got dicked.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-10-2006, 11:50 PM
He fumbled before that. It was CLEARLY a fumble. We got dicked.

Go look at the game film. He slammed it down with the ball in his damned hand. The ground cannot cause a fumble.

Mecca
12-10-2006, 11:56 PM
You're making shit up.....the only play Heap lost the ball on was when he reached out with his hand and slammed it onto the ground...

Demonpenz
12-10-2006, 11:58 PM
since when did gochiefs start doing drugs

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-11-2006, 12:00 AM
since when did gochiefs start doing drugs

When he desperately wanted to win an argument but couldn't find anything to back him up.

ferrarispider95
12-11-2006, 12:50 AM
Both did NOT look like fumbles, but we got a break and Hermie didn't have the balls to got for it on 4th and 6.

RedThat
12-11-2006, 01:00 AM
Meh.

The way I see it, if he had gone for it on 4th down inside the Ravens 40 and failed, they woulda talked about it and criticized him for it.

If he went for it on 4th down inside the Ravens 40, and made it. They woulda praised the guy.

it's coaching. It the decisions. The what if thinking. This stuff happens all the time.

With a lot of time left in the game and the Chiefs we down by 10. Plenty of time to do something. I don't disagree with Herm punting the ball. I think it was the right call. Our defense just failed to stop them the following drive.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
12-11-2006, 01:00 AM
Hey we got a break on the Ed Reed interception also. His
body came down on our guy and never hit the ground. He got up and ran the ball into the endzone, but the refs said he was down.

I couldnt believe the refs blew that call.

TinyEvel
12-11-2006, 01:05 AM
I think I had my Av before Ferarri Spider.

TinyEvel
12-11-2006, 01:07 AM
I met a Jets fan early in the season and he spoke like a true anti-Herm Troll.

"He's gonna kill you, dude. He makes BAD CALLS bad decisions in games. That will kill you. Just watch.

I spoke to him again, just before the Browns game, and he was like: Congrats on your team, dude. Looks like it's going well. Herm Leaving the Jets was good for both of us.

I'm starting to believe what he said the first time.

ferrarispider95
12-11-2006, 01:14 AM

yea, just fuggin around with photoshop and took your avatar as inspiration

Demonpenz
12-11-2006, 01:17 AM
i don't think anyone here would bash a coach for going for it on 4th down with less than 10 yards to go on the opposing teams side of the field. I would almost say go for it every time because unless you have a pinpoint punter that baby is going in the endzone.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-11-2006, 01:18 AM
yea, just fuggin around with photoshop and took your avatar as inspiration

Let's not forget who did it first... :D....;)

the Talking Can
12-11-2006, 06:46 AM
"You play to punt the ball!!"

Easy 6
12-11-2006, 07:00 AM
That was a very balanced take on Herm. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

And that Jingle Bells parody was an All-Timer.

Skip Towne
12-11-2006, 07:10 AM
NOOB FIGHT!!!!!!!

J Diddy
12-11-2006, 07:13 AM
"You play to punt the ball!!"

ROFL

Wichita Lineman
12-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Edwards inherited a offense that was the best in 05 and was given all the peices on defense to become a playoff team. So what happened? Herm Edwards happened. He's taken one of the best teams we've had talent wise in years, and I mean on both sides of the ball, and ruined it. Almost single handedly ruined it. And if you think it was bad this year wait til next year when Gozo is gone and he takes a whole lot of others with him. You know Shields will retire and you've seen what we've got to replace them. It'd be enough to make someone who has been a fan of this team for 37 years to repaint his cars and burn his wardrobe and start over since every thing I own is red,black or grey and has a chiefs logo on it.

Chief Henry
12-11-2006, 09:08 AM
The fans started exiting Arrowhead when we punted on the Baltimore 39.

DaFace
12-11-2006, 09:35 AM
The fans started exiting Arrowhead when we punted on the Baltimore 39.

I think the Arrowhead crowd is losing their patience. Everyone in the stadium knew we should have gone for it there and was disgusted when we didn't. I stayed till the final kneel-down, but I can't blame them for leaving. I knew there was no chance in hell we'd win after that.

Deberg_1990
12-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Would it have mattered Sunday? Nah. In the end, the Ravens are a better team than the Chiefs, and they played better Sunday.

Im done with argueing about this game. The above statement says it all. The Ravens are the better team. No shame in losing to them.

The Cleveland game however.........

kcxiv
12-11-2006, 10:04 AM
i dotn think a conservative game play killed us. We just didnt make plays. The game was close, we turned the ball over a few times in their side of the feild. Their Defense just bitchslapped our Offense.

BIG_DADDY
12-11-2006, 10:13 AM
i dotn think a conservative game play killed us. We just didnt make plays. The game was close, we turned the ball over a few times in their side of the feild. Their Defense just bitchslapped our Offense.

It certainly didn't help running on every first down in the game. Herm's game plan is as predictable as they come.

Hydrae
12-11-2006, 10:19 AM
And you kind of wish the Chiefs had at least gone down swinging.

I think that sums up my feelings about the last few weeks very nicely. We are playing like a bunch of pussies who don't care whether we make the post season or not. Well guess what guys, we aren't! Enjoy your January, I won't.

Calcountry
12-11-2006, 12:29 PM
He fumbled before that. It was CLEARLY a fumble. We got dicked.THe only thing we got jobbed on was the field goal that went over the top of the uprights.