PDA

View Full Version : Does Solari Deserve Another Year As OC?

petegz28
12-11-2006, 12:52 PM
After yesterday's play calling particularly in the 2nd half one really has to scratch their head at this question.

What Solari showed me is he has no idea of how to game plan or adjust to an agressive D.

No mis-direction plays.
No draw plays
1 screen
No quick slants
No rolling pocket
Hardly any shotgun if there was any at all

Terrible play calling all in all. I swear I though Jimmy Rae was back in the saddle.

Running the ball more doesn't = always running up the gut 2 times in a row for a net gain of 2 yards.

tyton75
12-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Yes.. he is doing ok IMO

MOhillbilly
12-11-2006, 12:56 PM
not enough play action on first & second down.
It seems like he is content to grind it out on first and second far to often.

And can LJ not catch the ball out of the backfield?

petegz28
12-11-2006, 12:56 PM
not enough play action on first & second down.
It seems like he is content to grind it out on first and second far to often.

And can LJ not catch the ball out of the backfield?

Yes he can. As good as Preist? No. But he can catch.

MOhillbilly
12-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Yes he can. As good as Preist? No. But he can catch.

then wtf dont they use gonzo and LJ in the same areas of the field for pass plays?

J Diddy
12-11-2006, 12:59 PM
about as predictable as a rerun of cheers

Sully
12-11-2006, 12:59 PM
They ran a ton of counter-dives yesterday, so they did misdirection in that way. However, against a team as fast as the Ravens, I don't think misdirection works that well. They don't have to overpursue like the Chiefs, so the misdirection odesn't suck them one way as much as it will with other teams (Chiefs). Against a disciplined, fast team like that, quick-hitters will work much more often. The Bennett run from FB is an example of this. When you run quick hitters like that directly at a team like that, you have much more success than a counter where Shields pulls around center and up through the opposite A or B gap, giving the quicker team all the time in the world to swarm to that hole.

GoHuge
12-11-2006, 01:03 PM
I do know that yesterday I was watching the game with my girlfriend and she started predicting the plays in advance, and she doesn't understand why you run the ball up the middle. She doesn't understand formations, etc. and if she can start calling out plays in advance, that's scary predictable.

petegz28
12-11-2006, 01:03 PM
They ran a ton of counter-dives yesterday, so they did misdirection in that way. However, against a team as fast as the Ravens, I don't think misdirection works that well. They don't have to overpursue like the Chiefs, so the misdirection odesn't suck them one way as much as it will with other teams (Chiefs). Against a disciplined, fast team like that, quick-hitters will work much more often. The Bennett run from FB is an example of this. When you run quick hitters like that directly at a team like that, you have much more success than a counter where Shields pulls around center and up through the opposite A or B gap, giving the quicker team all the time in the world to swarm to that hole.

I don't mean counter as in counter dives. More like a O-Line goes one way LJ goes the other on a mis-direction toss. No counter. Counter takes too long to set up

KC-TBB
12-11-2006, 01:05 PM
It appears as if we are not fooling too many people, we make alot of other defense's look PROBOWL QUALITY (yeah I know yesterday they were!)

Sully
12-11-2006, 01:05 PM
I don't mean counter as in counter dives. More like a O-Line goes one way LJ goes the other on a mis-direction toss. No counter. Counter takes too long to set up

I understand. What I'm saying, though, is that the Ravens are so fast that they have no need to overpursue, which makes those types of plays work (I love the misdirection toss, when used against the right team). They aren't paying against Kendrell Bell.

BigCatDaddy
12-11-2006, 01:06 PM
If Herm handcuffs the OC anyway, what's the point?

MOhillbilly
12-11-2006, 01:07 PM

pff KCs O line played so pathetic yesterday that if we did run counters the ravens D would have made the tackle before the handoff.

FAX
12-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Solari is probably my biggest personal disappointment of the year. I had high hopes for him having coached what was, arguably, the best oline in the league for so many years. The run, run, pass offense has ruined my appreciation for him, though.

Depends on what you like, I guess. But, in the interest of diminishing the punishment our offensive linemen's asses are taking from our running back's helmet, I vote no.

FAX

petegz28
12-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Solari is probably my biggest personal disappointment of the year. I had high hopes for him having coached what was, arguably, the best oline in the league for so many years. The run, run, pass offense has ruined my appreciation for him, though.

Depends on what you like, I guess. But, in the interest of diminishing the punishment our offensive linemen's asses are taking from our running back's helmet, I vote no.

FAX

Run, Run Pass is ok if when you Pass it is 3rd and 2 not 3rd and 8

NewChief
12-11-2006, 01:16 PM

Exactly. That was my biggest beef yesterday. We forced ourselves into way too many obvious passing downs against a very good defense.

Fish
12-11-2006, 01:16 PM
about as predictable as a rerun of cheers

You take that back right now..... I mean the Cheers part.....

FAX
12-11-2006, 01:18 PM

True enough, Mr. petegz28. No argument there. It's just that the offense has become so predictable, that 3rd and 8 seems to be more likely more often.

FAX

Warrior5
12-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Your points are spot on; I stated the same thing in my weekly primer prior to the game, and I'm just a dumb-ass fan. The only way to move the chains against that D was play-action, draws, and screens. Why Green was going into 7-step drops against the league's sack leader was utter insanity, especially behind this o-line.

I just wish reporters were able to ask these questions and get honest answers sans spin.

So to answer your question: if we continue to not see draws, play-action, screens, and shotguns against the Bolts next Sunday, then Solari needs to go, along with some other coaches. It's going to take more than next year to rebuild this team anyway.

As a fan of 41 years, I want to start seeing some accountability. Other teams do it. Coaches that aren't earning their paychecks need to be shown the door.

Reerun_KC
12-11-2006, 02:01 PM
You take that back right now..... I mean the Cheers part.....

Okay so where are you trying to go with this. Not funny!

Okay yeah it was funny...

Agian it doenst matter who the OC is.. Herm has control of the calls going in on defense and offense...

tyton75
12-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Solari is simply running the gameplan handed down from Herm

el borracho
12-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Solari should get another chance when we actually have an Oline.

FringeNC
12-11-2006, 02:22 PM
I don't much like Solari's play-calling, but I think he's done an okay job as offensive coordinator. When we play weaker teams like Cleveland, the offense played really well.

Yes, we do pass too little on first down and pass too much on third down. For instance, initial drive, third and 2 -- I would have run the ball twice to get the first.

I do think Jordan Black is far below average at pass protection, which really limits the play-calling. I think Solari has done a good job coaching up Black, but he's still not very good.

The reason the season is over is not Solari -- it's Gunther. The breakdown of the D against a pitiful Cleveland squad sucked the life out of this team and this team's fans.

Oh Snap
12-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Who else would the chiefs be looking at?

shaneo69
12-11-2006, 02:59 PM
If I didn't think Herm was telling Solari to run up the gut on every first down, I would say get rid of him.

I guarantee that he wouldn't be running up the middle on every first down if Vermiel was still the HC.

Oh Snap
12-11-2006, 02:59 PM
If I didn't think Herm was telling Solari to run up the gut on every first down, I would say get rid of him.

I guarantee that he wouldn't be running up the middle on every first down if Vermiel was still the HC.

I know our tackles arent great but what ever happened to running outside the tackles?

Chiefnj
12-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Solari deserves another year only because I fear Herm would call in Raye or Hackett.

trndobrd
12-11-2006, 03:09 PM
I know our tackles arent great but what ever happened to running outside the tackles?

Who knows? Yesterday LJ got some decent yards running outside. The strength of our O-line is their ability to to get outside and let the RB turn the corner, not running up the gut.

The few times we ran a sweep, LJ beat the D to the corner. Why Solari didn't keep going to the well until Baltimore adjusted is beyond me.

htismaqe
12-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Solari deserves another year only because I fear Herm would call in Raye or Hackett.

ROFL

:clap:

Hammock Parties
12-11-2006, 03:18 PM

It's scary because it's true.

StcChief
12-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Solari with new O linemen as Shields likely retires.
a real #1 WR.
Someone other than the shrimp Parker.

Better options for playmaking.

trndobrd
12-11-2006, 03:23 PM
It's scary because it's true.

That thought just ruined my day.

boogblaster
12-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Yes here..this team has gave-up..coaching does matter, but you still have to play smack-mouth football against a good D. we didn't....

the Talking Can
12-11-2006, 03:35 PM

smart man

if could get a whole lot worse...Herm loves shitty OCs...

let's just hope Solari gets better....he had his moments, but that run-in-the-butt thing every first down...man, come on

Calcountry
12-11-2006, 04:14 PM
They ran a ton of counter-dives yesterday, so they did misdirection in that way. However, against a team as fast as the Ravens, I don't think misdirection works that well. They don't have to overpursue like the Chiefs, so the misdirection odesn't suck them one way as much as it will with other teams (Chiefs). Against a disciplined, fast team like that, quick-hitters will work much more often. The Bennett run from FB is an example of this. When you run quick hitters like that directly at a team like that, you have much more success than a counter where Shields pulls around center and up through the opposite A or B gap, giving the quicker team all the time in the world to swarm to that hole.Amazing, that they didn't run this 2 or 3 more times to try and tighten them up a bit then go off tackle.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Amazing, that they didn't run this 2 or 3 more times to try and tighten them up a bit then go off tackle.

That would require competence. Mike Solari---incompetent.

Toad
12-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Deserve it or not, Solari will get at least another year.

What is Herm's historical trend on loyalty to his coordinators? Is he Vermiel (uber-loyal) like?

Hammock Parties
12-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Deserve it or not, Solari will get at least another year.

What is Herm's historical trend on loyalty to his coordinators? Is he Vermiel (uber-loyal) like?

Hackett lasted four years in NY I think. :shake:

Chan93lx50
12-11-2006, 08:09 PM
We are doomed until Herm is gone and then we will be rebuilding yet again and it will be years before we see a team worth shit!

Damn I sound like Vlad

KrazyKorean4
12-11-2006, 08:24 PM
No, he really doesn't. I want Al Saunders back. Or someone who...er...knows what the **** they're doing.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Solari will last two. Fan unrest will lead to his ouster. Herm will be shown the door after year three, along with Carl, Herm's 3 year record will be:

20-28, cementing his legacy as one of the worst coaches in Chiefs' history.

Hammock Parties
12-11-2006, 08:30 PM
20-28

12-4 next year and win the SB!!!

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-11-2006, 08:32 PM
12-4 next year and win the SB!!!

ROFL ROFL...you are out of your f*cking mind. I'll give Herm this much...his conservative style will allow us to stay in enough games that we'll say we could have been 12-4, but 4-12 is far, far more likely. Herm's a loser. Always has been, always will be.

Reerun_KC
12-11-2006, 08:34 PM
That would be perfect if we go full circle... Bring back Raye or Hackett. We deserve it for hiring Herm.

While we are at it, Is Bono or Grbac still around... They fit the profile of a Hermian QB....