PDA

View Full Version : This is the most dejected I've felt as a Chiefs fan since the '80s

FloridaMan88
12-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Seriously what is there to hang your hat on with this franchise, in its current state? They are going to have a difficult time making major improvements this offseason with their relatively small amount of cap room (between $6-$7 million by most estimates, and many teams have $20+ million in cap room) and another middle of the first round draft pick. And with King Carl calling the shots does anyone really believe the Chiefs are going to make the major moves this offseason necessary to push this team to a Super Bowl-level?

The offense is a mess and its going to get worse this offseason with the likely retirement of Shields and the potential free agent defection of Tony Gonzalez. Trent Green has aged what seems like 10 years this season and isn't and won't be in an offense that will allow him to hide his weaknesses while exploiting his strengths. The team's so-called "QBOTF" Croyle looks light-years away from being a competent NFL starting QB. The WR corp is the worst in the league and the team's #1 and best WR is going to turn 34 years old this coming January.

The interior of the defensive line and at least 2-3 starting positions along the offensive line need to be rebuilt (which is going to cost cap room that the Chiefs are in relative scarce supply of). With the exception of Pollard and Paige, the old, overpaid secondary needs to be blown up and rebuilt (again requiring more $$$, not to mention the $$$ they already have tied up in Surtain, Law, Wesley and Knight).

Jared Allen is a restricted free agent and there will be plenty of teams with massive amounts of cap room to be able to make a strong run at him if they so choose.

And on top of all of this is the fact Peterson will remain GM through 2009 and then will likely be in a position to pick his successor and have significant influence over his successor's decisions in the short-term.

I'm not saying the Chiefs are as bad or are going to be as bad as they were in mid-'80s but for me, during that time period I felt as if the Chiefs were stuck as a franchise and were incapable of getting out of the massive rut they were in. This is how I'm increasingly feeling now as a Chiefs fan.

StcChief
12-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Post DV revemp is really needed. this might take 2-3 years

Redrum_69
12-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Revamped REPOST..

It will be at least another two to four years before a decent post from you

DMAC
12-11-2006, 03:10 PM
It's a vicious cycle......

You feel this way every year...

then you forget about that and get amped for the offseason and next year...

then you get hopes around week 5-6...

then they become false hopes...

then they get eliminated (or damn near)...

then you make a post like this...

chagrin
12-11-2006, 03:11 PM
It's a vicious cycle......

You feel this way every year...

then you forget about that and get amped for the offseason and next year...

then you get hopes around week 5-6...

then they become false hopes...

then they get eliminated (or damn near)...

then you make a post like this...

And then?!!

JimNasium
12-11-2006, 03:12 PM
I refuse to let a football team get me down. The last time I let it happen to me was a cold January night. Never again.

Crashride
12-11-2006, 03:14 PM
If I remember arent the chiefs one of the better teams as far as cap room is involved? Theres another thread about it somewhere

DMAC
12-11-2006, 03:21 PM
And then?!!Your legs and arms fall off.

Stinger
12-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Seriously what is there to hang your hat on with this franchise, in its current state?

Consecutive Home sell out streak?

mac58
12-11-2006, 03:23 PM
i hate football. . .

DJJasonp
12-11-2006, 03:25 PM
As soon as Carl loses a few players (Allen, Gonzalez??) and realizes he filled the secondary with aging veterans, has no talent on the d-line, and not enough cap room to fix the defense or to replace tony g or give us a #1 WR...not to mention a couple offensive lineman....and determines he wont be able to field an average or better team (and thus loses money at the gate)....he'll resign before his name gets associated with any of that.

Guarantee it.

BigRock
12-11-2006, 03:51 PM
They are going to have a difficult time making major improvements this offseason with their relatively small amount of cap room (between $6-$7 million by most estimates, and many teams have $20+ million in cap room)
You can't go by that stuff. Those figures are all based on estimates, going by what a team's current contract struture looks like. The Cardinals have less than $1 million of cap space at the moment, but in those estimates they're projected to be something like $30 million under the cap for next year. That's because they have a huge amount of free agents they have to re-sign. And since those contracts aren't counting against next year, they don't figure into the projections. On the same token, some teams have contracts on the books that are counted heavy against next year, which in reality will never be paid.

When this season started, once everyone had signed their free agents and re-worked their deals, the Chiefs had the 4th most cap room in the league. They should be fine, although it could get messy if they have to put the franchise tag on Tony.

penchief
12-11-2006, 05:38 PM
I may be wrong but I think we're an ascending team. I'm less skeptical of Herm than I was before his hiring and I like our prospects in the long term with Edwards as coach.

Both the defense and offense are in a year of major transition. Both in scheme and in talent. I think the defense continues to improve. Consistency is the missing ingredient right now but no one can argue that the improvement is not there. The offense will also become more proficient as the roster evolves and the coaches and players adapt to our strengths.

I also have more hope because Edwards had potentially one of the best drafts we've had in a long time, IMO. If he can keep that up for a couple more years it won't be long before we're knocking on the door.

JMO.

Hydrae
12-11-2006, 07:25 PM
You can't go by that stuff. Those figures are all based on estimates, going by what a team's current contract struture looks like. The Cardinals have less than $1 million of cap space at the moment, but in those estimates they're projected to be something like $30 million under the cap for next year. That's because they have a huge amount of free agents they have to re-sign. And since those contracts aren't counting against next year, they don't figure into the projections. On the same token, some teams have contracts on the books that are counted heavy against next year, which in reality will never be paid.

When this season started, once everyone had signed their free agents and re-worked their deals, the Chiefs had the 4th most cap room in the league. They should be fine, although it could get messy if they have to put the franchise tag on Tony.

I actually doubt a tag on Tony would be that bad, he is one of the higher paid TE's anyway. Average of the top 5 would probably be in the same neighborhood he costs now. Heck, it might be cheaper. :)

Bwana
12-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Different year.............same thread. Errrrrrr

ChiefsLV
12-11-2006, 08:55 PM
This is the most dejected I've felt as a Chiefs fan since the '80s

You mean you felt less dejected after the 98 and 2000 seasons?

KCBOSS1
12-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Actually, I'm glad to see this thread. I read today where Tony Gonzales said that he wouldn't mind going somewhere else. I get so sick of his crap. I love the guy's play and don't want see him go, but I don't really like him at all. I've never seen anybody whine like this guy....every year. There is no loyalty anymore....I mean, I know that I'm living in the stone ages.

The money thing is absolutely freakin rediculous. A bunch of us guys are out here, 5+ hours from Arrowhead, scraping and hoping to get tickets to take our families to just one game per year and some of these guys are making like $500-700,000 per game...then whining. Seriously, if Tony G. goes somewhere else, I think that I will save to get the best seats to whatever stadium he plays in just to go heckle the crap out of him. I don't know.....but I'm starting to see why a lot of the guys that used to be die hard fans just quit professional sports altogether.

Coach
12-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Actually, I'm glad to see this thread. I read today where Tony Gonzales said that he wouldn't mind going somewhere else. I get so sick of his crap. I love the guy's play and don't want see him go, but I don't really like him at all. I've never seen anybody whine like this guy....every year. There is no loyalty anymore....I mean, I know that I'm living in the stone ages.

The money thing is absolutely freakin rediculous. A bunch of us guys are out here, 5+ hours from Arrowhead, scraping and hoping to get tickets to take our families to just one game per year and some of these guys are making like $500-700,000 per game...then whining. Seriously, if Tony G. goes somewhere else, I think that I will save to get the best seats to whatever stadium he plays in just to go heckle the crap out of him. I don't know.....but I'm starting to see why a lot of the guys that used to be die hard fans just quit professional sports altogether.

Sometimes, it's not about the money maybe. :shrug: Sounds like he'd like to go to a team that's serious about the Super Bowl and I don't blame him. No matter where he goes (besides Oakland or Denver) I'll still be a huge TG fan. I think it would be great if he could latch onto a team that makes it to the Super Bowl. I'd be happy for him.

Everybody knows that the Chiefs are no threat to win a Super Bowl, let alone, win a ****ing playoff game anytime soon, not with the fuggin buffons running the front office.

Reerun_KC
12-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Sad part about all of this? It has just begun. Not saying the DV years where the best, but they sure were a breath of fresh air from the MartyBall Years....

It feels hopeless watching what is happening in KC right now.

Like one of those dreams where you feel your drowning and cant swim up to the surface..... Just pure simple hopelessness.

KCBOSS1
12-11-2006, 09:23 PM
I'm not saying that I hate him or anything...but it's like every year, he starts this whining..."I'm not getting enough touchdown passes", "why am I here?", "I should be getting paid more". It's always in the press. Every year, you can count on it. Most of it is probably professional propaganda, or lobbying. He forgets about the 75,000 fans in the stands and 10,000 of them have his jersey on right there in KC. Nobody in the NFL is not serious about winning a superbowl. It's brutal for anybody trying to make it. This "ring" stuff is so cheap that it's one of the reasons why I never had any respect for Deion Sanders while he was a player. He was a ring whore. Do you know how much more it will mean if he is contributory in KC ending up with a ring? Anyway, just saying. If he goes somewhere else, I won't be a fan of his. I'm not really one now outside of his ability to help us.

KCBOSS1
12-11-2006, 09:37 PM
Gonzales will not get any more respect or love anywhere in this league than in KC. In fact, he will lose a lot of both in my opinion. Barry Sanders was one of the most beloved players in the league until he pulled his 'trade me or I'll quit' deal. He came in short on everything, records that he deserved, respect from fans, peers and the city of Detroit which so loved him. I was there while he played there. I don't think that the organization did him right, but still.....bad ending. I think that even if Tony leaves, he's likely doomed for a bad ending. Anyway, done venting. thanks

boogblaster
12-11-2006, 11:26 PM
This team is about 1 loss more than I thought we'd be..10-6 was my mindset we still could be that..probably not but maybe..thats about all you can expect from a coaching change..Herm might change some coachs next year..some players too..its a fine line from being good and real good..2 or 3 players could change everything...

Mecca
12-11-2006, 11:30 PM
I may be wrong but I think we're an ascending team. I'm less skeptical of Herm than I was before his hiring and I like our prospects in the long term with Edwards as coach.

Both the defense and offense are in a year of major transition. Both in scheme and in talent. I think the defense continues to improve. Consistency is the missing ingredient right now but no one can argue that the improvement is not there. The offense will also become more proficient as the roster evolves and the coaches and players adapt to our strengths.

I also have more hope because Edwards had potentially one of the best drafts we've had in a long time, IMO. If he can keep that up for a couple more years it won't be long before we're knocking on the door.

JMO.

Ascending teams aren't usually one of the oldest teams in the league.....which the Chiefs are.

penchief
12-12-2006, 05:52 AM
Ascending teams aren't usually one of the oldest teams in the league.....which the Chiefs are.

All we have to do is cut Gammon and we'll be one of the youngest.