PDA

View Full Version : KC getting a WNBA team

ChiefsCountry
12-12-2006, 01:35 AM
Yeah we get chick ball, oh well hopefully it leads to the NBA in Sprint Center.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16217623.htm

Source says deal near to send Sting packing
CLIFF MEHRTENS AND STEVE HARRISON
cmehrtens@charlotteobserver.com | sharrison@charlotteobserver.com

The Charlotte Sting, an original WNBA franchise, is in the process of being sold and moved to a group in Kansas City, Mo., according to a source close to the situation.

The Sting, owned by Bobcats Sports and Entertainment, which also owns the NBA Charlotte Bobcats, has had shaky attendance since its inception in 1997. A local group of investors, led by sports marketing executive Cindy Sisson-Hensley, tried this fall to buy the team for between $6 and $8 million, but wasn't able to raise enough money.

Sisson-Hensley's deadline to meet the team's asking price was today. She said the WNBA had told the team it needed to know where the team would be playing so it could begin planning for the 2007 season, which begins in May.

The Bobcats wouldn't comment on whether the team is being sold.

"We are undergoing an extensive evaluation of our entire business, and that includes the Sting, and we're working with the league on all aspects of the evaluation," said Scott Leightman, a spokesman for the Bobcats and Sting.

A source close to the situation told The Observer the Bobcats are in the process of closing the deal with Kansas City owners.

A spokesman for the WNBA didn't return calls from The Observer on Monday.

The Sting averaged 5,783 fans at 17 games at Bobcats Arena last summer, 13th among 14 WNBA teams. The league average was 7,433.

It is unclear if the Sting will play in Charlotte next year.

The Sting averaged more than 8,000 fans the first two seasons (1997-98), but attendance and interest slipped steadily. The team hasn't played well since being acquired by the Bobcats as part of majority owner Bob Johnson's deal to land an NBA franchise on Jan. 10, 2003.

Charlotte was 11-23 last season, its third straight with a losing record. The Sting hasn't been in the playoffs since 2003.

The WNBA enjoyed enthusiastic crowds during its early years, but some teams are still subsidized by the NBA. The Sting would be the sixth team to either fold or move.

Johnson vowed to pump the same energy and resources into the Sting as he did with the NBA team when he purchased them in 2003. But the team didn't spend as much money promoting the team as it did in past years. It hired as coach Tyrone "Muggsy" Bogues, a popular former Charlotte Hornets point guard, but his presence on the bench did little to spark attendance.

Possibly putting pressure on Johnson was the performance of the NBA's Bobcats, who, in their third year, are tied for the league's worst record at 5-15. The team has also struggled to sell tickets.

The Seattle Times reported that Johnson was one of eight NBA owners who wrote the league office this season pleading for financial help. The owners want the league to redistribute some local TV and radio revenue from big-market teams to smaller ones.

The letter said the eight teams are "looking at significant and unacceptable annual financial losses."

The NBA, which started the WNBA ten years ago, has encouraged more teams to be owned by outside owners and not a parent NBA team.

Kansas City is building a new arena downtown, Sprint Center, though it doesn't have a major-league tenant yet.

"We have talked about putting together a local ownership group for a WNBA team, but I don't know anymore than that," said Brenda Tinnen, general manager of Sprint Center, which is opening in October. The team could play in older facilities, such as Kemper Arena, or Municipal Auditorium until then.

Sisson-Hensley's group, BCK Holdings, also included Belva Greenage, a retired Bank of America executive and Kelly Kent, also with Bank of America.

"It's a shame," said Sisson-Hensley. "We tried and we had passion. It's a huge loss."

Pierce
12-12-2006, 01:36 AM
Calling all lesbians...

12-12-2006, 01:39 AM
OH, jump for joy. Yippeee

Yawn

Bugeater
12-12-2006, 01:40 AM
The WNBA enjoyed enthusiastic crowds during its early years, but some teams are still subsidized by the NBA.
I find it hard to believe that any of them turn a profit.

Bugeater
12-12-2006, 01:42 AM
OH, jump for joy. Yippeee

Yawn
What? You're not excited to see passes going out of bounds and layups bouncing off the bottom of the rim?

Demonpenz
12-12-2006, 01:43 AM
we got next!

BWillie
12-12-2006, 01:48 AM
I find it hard to believe that any of them turn a profit.

There is no way the WNBA makes a profit. The NBA keeps them afloat through life support as an act of goodwill to bring female fans to the sport. I don't understand why there are sports that don't make money, especially pro. It's a business, but they keep funding it. In college, alot of colleges women's basketball and volleyball teams actually make a significant amount of money. The other women's sports don't. It also makes me wonder why division 1 schools have men's golf, tennis, even bowling programs also. You can't tell me that makes the school money.

thedude
12-12-2006, 01:57 AM
Is it kosher for males to wear WNBA jerseys and not in a joking manner?

Lets get a decision here.

FYI, good ol Mugsey Bogues is the coach.

12-12-2006, 02:19 AM
What? You're not excited to see passes going out of bounds and layups bouncing off the bottom of the rim?
I am sure some would like to have the front row when the player start jumping out of bounds into their laps though.

ClevelandBronco
12-12-2006, 03:22 AM
Waiting for the inevitable WNFL jokes about the Chiefs...

VonneMarie
12-12-2006, 04:13 AM
Girl Basketball? :spock:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

cookster50
12-12-2006, 05:06 AM
Beaver ball, way to go AEG.

KcMizzou
12-12-2006, 05:17 AM
Waiting for the inevitable WNFL jokes about the Chiefs...Suck it, Donkey-boy. You're in the same boat.

Ultra Peanut
12-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Girl Basketball? :spock:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!Your new avatar freaks me out.

Deberg_1990
12-12-2006, 07:03 PM
face it..

Nobody cares about womens basketball unless you are a parent of a player.

Easy 6
12-12-2006, 07:04 PM
I remember a few years ago when they made a BIG friggin' deal outta the first dunk in WNBA history, and it was 4-5 years into it...... :ZZZ:

tonyd
12-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Living in Charlotte you can take the Bobcats too.
Everyone here is into Collage BB

FAX
12-12-2006, 07:06 PM
StingPlanet!

FAX

Coach
12-12-2006, 07:06 PM
face it..

Nobody cares about womens basketball unless you are a parent of a player.

Or you're like GoChiefs and wanting to experiment on women's body movements such as tits bouncing up and down, etc etc.