PDA

View Full Version : Ok. Your the coach. What 5 things do you...?

Chiefs_Fan_n_64081
12-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Alright, it's time to play armchair coach.
Let's say the job of head coach is yours for the remainer of the 2006 season (and Peterson, the whole coaching staff, the players, and the Hunts completely back whatever choices you make).
What 5 changes do you make?

Here are mine:

1. Make Page the starting FS
2. Try Pollard at LB
3. Mandate that playcalling on 1st down be much more ballanced
4. Have Dante relegated to returns only, and put Webb in the 3rd reciever position
5. When the team gets behind be much more creative on offense (heck, a trick play or two might even be in order)

2bikemike
12-12-2006, 06:34 PM
1. First off I would fly to San Diego early and stay there until the Oakland game. Eliminate the back and forth thats going to kill them.

2. Bench Bell and Wesley

3. Sign Tony G to a contract to ensure he remains a Chief. He's going to look for greener pastures this off season and I don't blame him. He should go get a ring.

4. I too would use Hall only for return duty. And I would by him some rubber bands to put on his wrists like the old days when he was a returning machine. (Remember how he used to snap them. Something about forcing him to focus or something like that) I don't think he does that anymore.

5. See Ya Carl! Don't let the door hit ya in the ass!

OOps I guess I would have to be Clark Hunt to accomplish all that.

Easy 6
12-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Alright, it's time to play armchair coach.
Let's say the job of head coach is yours for the remainer of the 2006 season (and Peterson, the whole coaching staff, the players, and the Hunts completely back whatever choices you make).
What 5 changes do you make?

Here are mine:

1. Make Page the starting FS
2. Try Pollard at LB
3. Mandate that playcalling on 1st down be much more ballanced
4. Have Dante relegated to returns only, and put Webb in the 3rd reciever position
5. When the team gets behind be much more creative on offense (heck, a trick play or two might even be in order)

I like all of your ideas except Pollard at LB, atleast for the time being. We have a bunch of guys that need looked at, at LB. Switching him over, if done at all, should be done in the off-season to give him a relatively firm grasp on just what in the hell he's supposed to be doing.

Plus he will need that time to bulk up to 230/235.

And a heapin' helpin' of creativity is a MUST!!!!!!

ILChief
12-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Start Fox over Bell
Start Page over Knight
Start Pollard over Wesley
Get Brodie some playing time when at all possible
Threaten to quit if Carl doesn't address Wide Receiver and Defensive Tackle before next year

Rain Man
12-12-2006, 06:40 PM
1. Fire Carl.

2. Hold a big "Farewell, Carl" party and let him talk about his decision to retire.

3. Find a new GM who wholeheartedly supports #5 below.

4. Bring in the world's best blitz disguise coach and have him teach Gunther and the defensive players and coaches how to set up a blitz without telegraphing it.

5. My draft would concentrate far more on bringing in football players and far less on bringing in good athletes based on their measurables at the combine.

If I could have six, I'd also do this:

6. Order Solari to mix up plays better in "predictable situations." Pass sometimes on 2nd and 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8, and pass once in a while on 3rd and 1, 2, or 3.

4th and Long
12-12-2006, 06:41 PM
If I were you, I think the first thing I'd do is ask someone to fire me. If a coach can't spell a simple word such as, "you're" properly, he obviously doesn't deserve to be a coach in the NFL.

Bwana
12-12-2006, 06:42 PM
I start by kicking my own ass and go from there.

Chiefs_Fan_n_64081
12-12-2006, 06:44 PM
If I were you, I think the first thing I'd do is ask someone to fire me. If a coach can't spell a simple word such as, "you're" properly, he obviously doesn't deserve to be a coach in the NFL.

Thanks for pointing that out.
You have done the world a great service.

Rain Man
12-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Oh. Sorry. A coach probably can't fire Carl, can he?

If I was a lowly head coach, I would:

1. Bring in the world's best blitz disguise coach and have him teach Gunther and the defensive players and coaches how to set up a blitz without telegraphing it.

2. My draft (to the extent that I can influence Carl) would concentrate far more on bringing in football players and far less on bringing in good athletes based on their measurables at the combine.

3. Order Solari to mix up plays better in "predictable situations." Pass sometimes on 2nd and 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8, and pass once in a while on 3rd and 1, 2, or 3.

4. I'd draw up more plays for Tony G. My Plan G From Outer Space would rely on him getting 10 to 12 catches per game.

5. I'd run more three tight end sets, which is something that they're actually doing now. That pleases me. I'd rather see Dunn on the field than Parker.

mcan
12-12-2006, 07:18 PM
1. I'd put Solari back at offensive line coach and call the plays myself, or let Trent do it.

2. I'd tell Gun to give em hell and let him do his thing without any shackles.

3. I'd try DUNN at FB instead of Wilson. Open some damned holes!

4. I'd run more out of spread sets and pass more out of stack sets.

5. I'd implement the philosophy that we're always trying to maximize potential gain while minimizing potential loss. Expected value is everything when it comes to making decisions.

dj56dt58
12-12-2006, 07:26 PM
1. Bench Wesley/Knight for Page/Pollard
2. Bench Bell for Fox
3. Tell Gun to do his thing and blitz the hell outa everyone, but if he doesn't learn to disguise his blitzes then i'm gonna shove my foot in his ass
4. Teach Sammie Parker how to catch a football
5. Kick Ryan Sims in the nuts

Easy 6
12-12-2006, 07:27 PM
1. I'd put Solari back at offensive line coach and call the plays myself, or let Trent do it.

2. I'd tell Gun to give em hell and let him do his thing without any shackles.

3. I'd try DUNN at FB instead of Wilson. Open some damned holes!

4. I'd run more out of spread sets and pass more out of stack sets.

5. I'd implement the philosophy that we're always trying to maximize potential gain while minimizing potential loss. Expected value is everything when it comes to making decisions.

Some very solid views. There is NO question that Trent needs to be given some say in playcalling, he knows the groove of the game better than 1st year Solari.

As far as Dunn at FB, i'm not so sure about that though. I believe that he exceeds the optimum height for a FB. I honestly cant recall a FB over 6'1 or 6'2. They just cant get the needed leverage at 6'5, 6'8 etc. I'm fairly certain that line blocking & FB blocking are quite different.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-12-2006, 07:36 PM
1. I would ask that they make a gulag beneath arrowhead and give me full control of the offensive gameplan

2. Solari will be forced to make big rocks into little rocks in said Gulag for the remainder of the year

3. Start both rookie safeties and Fox over Bell

4. Starting running out of 3 WR 1 TE spread formations to give LJ more room to work with (Wilson could be used as a WR/TE/H-Back in this setup as well)

5. Scrap the Cover 2.

nomad
12-12-2006, 07:42 PM
4. Bring in the world's best blitz disguise coach and have him teach Gunther and the defensive players and coaches how to set up a blitz without telegraphing it.

This is a subject that has bothered me for years with Gun's defense.

It's worthy of a thread of it's own, because for 2-3 seconds, pre-snap, everyone knows whos blitzing.

It's also notable how few twists our line/blitzers use.

Linebackers just rush straight into the line, cause no confusion to the OL and as a result get blocked or caught up in the wash...

Chiefs_Fan_n_64081
12-12-2006, 08:14 PM
5. Scrap the Cover 2.
I wouldn't totally abandon the cover 2, but would seriously limit it's use to special downs and situations.

BTW am I the only one who finds himself shouting "cover your man" when the D leans on the C2 when it's 3rd down?

the Talking Can
12-12-2006, 08:18 PM
1. Trick out Dante Hall

2. Make Hicks a coke mule

3. Cut Sims tongue out

4. Put Greg Wesley's head in CP's bed

5. Cut the oil line in Gunthers car

Easy 6
12-12-2006, 08:20 PM
1. Trick out Dante Hall

3. Cut Sims tongue out

Outstanding... :clap:

4th and Long
12-12-2006, 08:22 PM
1. Trick out Dante Hall

3. Cut Sims tongue out

ROFL LMAO

CtrlAltDel
12-12-2006, 08:22 PM
What you guys said.

el borracho
12-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Page for Knight
Pollard for Wesley
Webb for Parker
Cut Turley
Wilson gets more looks on 3rd down

Lonewolf Ed
12-12-2006, 08:59 PM
I agree with several others' posts about whom to bench and when to run what plays, so I will instead list one of my pet peeves with the Chiefs offense. Just ONCE, for God's sake, when it is 2nd and 1, do SOMETHING besides sending the halfback up the gut for a 1 or 2 yard gain! Try a flea flicker, end around, play-action, naked bootleg, just something different!! :banghead:

TUL Shorts
12-12-2006, 11:19 PM
1. Bench TRENT GREEN! Damon Huard led a brilliant season until for whatever God awful reason was sat back down. He averages 110 more yards a game than Green. He has thrown more TDs, less picks, and has a better QB Rating. Last Sunday Green should of had the 1.3 rating that Grossman did 2 weeks ago!!!!!!!!! 2 picks and a fumble in a half, I would of traded his old butt for a new water boy.

2. Dante Hall STRICTLY Kick Returns.

3. TG and Kennison get a new contract to stay here!

4. Install heaters on the shaded side of Arrowhead.

5. Recruit a defensive line.

thepascalblaze
12-13-2006, 12:06 AM
I'd still put the best players on the field, as far a what they have proven in my eyes.

I would take big risks more often, since the season is mathematically in a funnel. If the first risks pay off, pull back only a little. Remain as unpredictable as possible on D. On O crazy spreads, and screens to Bennet and LJ out of the gun and 5 wide sets with backup WRs, maybe even Brodie.

If they fail, play balls out risky until we are eliminated.

Start backups, get a look.

Play for draft position.

boogblaster
12-13-2006, 12:22 AM
DT....WR....FB....LB....Sign TG .......and keep Allen around too............

milkman
12-13-2006, 12:23 AM
Rather than name five things and repeat things that have already been covered, I'll just list my one thing that I haven't seen.

1.Fire Gunt over the internet again.

BenC1357
12-13-2006, 02:31 AM
I assume we're talking about game related stuff, so I won't mention firing Peterson.

1) Stay in Cali. Someone else mentioned it, but it's a great idea IMO. Give the guys a day off after the SD game and then practice them at a local college. I realize they don't have all of their equipment there, but if they had planned ahead this would have been a good idea.
2) Stop being predictable in play calling. Run, Run, Pass only works when you can run the ball down their throats because you never really have to get to the Pass part. If the running game isn't consistently getting you first downs early in the game, mix it up a bit. Against the Ravens even I knew when a first down pass was coming, and I'm Average Joe Fan up in the stands. Simply passing on first down isn't mixing it up Scolari, you have to be unpredictable.
3) Less Cover 2. More man-to-man coverage and blitzing. Law and Surtain can cover San Diego's WR's out of the game. Knight, Wesley, Johnson, Fox and Bell then just have to keep an eye on Tomlinson and Gates.
4) Michael Bennett to return kick offs.
5) Call a time out, run the hurry up offense, something! I realize Herm's whole philosophy is "stay calm, never show panic" but at times there needs to be some urgency. At 7-6 with the playoffs slipping away, urgency should be the only word written on the dry erase board before this week's game.

thepascalblaze
12-13-2006, 02:50 AM
To me, Bennet on returns sounds like an awesome idea...

...I don't know if that was ever part of his game, but seeing him squirting through sometimes reminds me of Greg Hill...

...only, with weight or mass, in the physical masses colliding dominance way that yields 3-9 extra yards.

Warrior5
12-13-2006, 07:03 AM
Good thread.

I agree with just about everything stated so far. I'd reiterate that when you're going into a game against SD, knowing they are sack monsters, have great LBs, and have a +11 TO ratio, Solari should:

- Pass more on 1st and 2nd downs.
- NO 7-step drops.
- Play-action, draws, and screens to LJ.

Let's see what happens Sunday night...

Manila-Chief
12-13-2006, 10:16 AM
1. Fire Carl.

2. Hold a big "Farewell, Carl" party and let him talk about his decision to retire.

Sorry a little late but you forgot to add ... Fire Carl over the internet..... At least it sounded funny when I read your post.

Chris Meck
12-14-2006, 12:23 PM
1.Bench Wesley for Pollard.
2.Bench Knight for Page
3.de-activate Ryan Sims from the active roster.
4.Bench Bell for Fox. Bell only plays in short yardage situations.
5.Man up on the line with your corners. Chuck 'em hard at the snap.
6.Bench Turley for Welbourne
7.Re-introduce the quick slant pass to our arsenal
8.Use Wilson in the flats more. He's got good hands.
9.Play-action on first down more often, and do it from run formations.
10.Spread the field horizontally. More quick slants and passes to the FB in the flats will help this, but also simple TE and WR out patterns will do it too. Make 'em defend the whole field.

just my .02

Chris

FAX
12-14-2006, 12:49 PM
1) Order chinese take out.
2) Open fresh, cold beer.
3) Review and evaluate offensive tapes
4) Review and evaluate defensive tapes.
5) Piss myself.

FAX