PDA

View Full Version : December 12, 1863

4th and Long
12-12-2006, 06:48 PM
On this date in 1863, Edvard Munch, a Norwegian expressionist painter and printmaker was born.

His most famous painting is called, The Scream (1893; originally called Despair).

In honor of Mr Munch's birthday, I have borrowed his famous painting and given it a 2006 twist.

Happy birthday, Ed.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/2503/anotherseasongz2.jpg

Hammock Parties
12-12-2006, 06:49 PM
www.google.com

Coach
12-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Nice work there 4th.

go bo
12-12-2006, 06:51 PM
wtf is going on here?

Skip Towne
12-12-2006, 06:54 PM
I thought this thread was about the Civil War.

Coach
12-12-2006, 06:55 PM

I thought so too, General Lee.

4th and Long
12-12-2006, 07:00 PM
12-12-1806 : Stand Watie born

Confederate General Stand Watie is born near Rome, Georgia. Watie, a Cherokee Indian, survived the tribe's Trail of Tears in the 1830s and became the only Native American to achieve the rank of general during the Civil War.

Watie came from an influential family and played a major role during the Cherokee difficulties in Georgia. The tribe was under increasingly intense pressure by their Anglo neighbors to remove to in the West. Watie was part of a faction that began to believe that voluntary removal might be the only way to preserve their autonomy. He was a signer of the Treaty of New Echota in 1835, which ceded the Cherokee's Georgia lands for a reservation in Indian Territory. After the disastrous Trail of Tears trek to the West, during which one in four Cherokee died, all who signed the treaty were assassinated except for Watie.

Even though the Cherokee suffered at the hands of Southerners, Watie and others always saw the federal government as the real culprit. When the South began to secede from the Union in 1860, Watie and others supported the new Confederacy. Watie was named colonel and raised a regiment of 300 mixed-blood Cherokee. Watie's first action came against Unionist Creek Indians near the Kansas border in 1861. At the Battle of Pea Ridge in 1862, Watie's regiment captured a Union battery in the midst of a Confederate defeat.

From the summer of 1862 until the end of the war, Watie served back in his home territory. In 1864, he captured a Union steamboat on the Arkansas River and a large supply train at Cabin Creek in Indian Territory. Mostly, however, Watie fought against his own people. The Cherokee became bitterly divided between the followers of John Ross, who pledged loyalty to the Union, and Watie, who stood by his Confederate allies. For the rest of the war, the Cherokee waged a bitter internecine guerilla war. After a brief foray into the tobacco business after the war, Watie died in 1871 at his home along Honey Creek in Indian Territory.

1787 : Pennsylvania ratifies the Constitution
On this day in 1787, Pennsylvania becomes the second state to ratify the Constitution, by a vote of 46 to 23. Pennsylvania was the first large state to ratify, as well as the first state to endure a serious Anti-Federalist challenge to ratification.

Pennsylvania was the most ethnically and religiously diverse state in the new nation. One-third of Pennsylvania’s population was German-speaking, and the Constitution was printed in German for the purposes of involving that population in the debate. The chairman of the Pennsylvania ratifying convention, Reverend Frederick Augustus Conrad Muhlenberg, was the son of the leading German Lutheran minister and grandson to Conrad Weiser (1696-1760), who had been a leading colonial Indian interpreter and German-speaking political leader. The leader of the Anti-Federalist opposition was the Delaware-born Scots-Irishman Thomas McKean. Future Supreme Court Justice and Scottish immigrant James Wilson was the most articulate defender of the Federalist cause.

Pennsylvania drafted the most radical of the state constitutions during the War for Independence. By excluding Quakers and all other pacifists unwilling to take oaths of allegiance to the Revolutionary cause, a fervently anti-British and anti-Indian Scots-Irish faction had seized power for the first time in the remarkably diverse state. Only when pacifists were again able to exercise the franchise in peacetime was it conceivable that the more conservative U.S. Constitution might pass in Pennsylvania. Large states had the most to lose by joining a strengthened union. James Wilson’s genius in describing the nature of layered sovereignty in a federal republic, using the solar system as an analogy, was invaluable in convincing Pennsylvanians to ratify. Anti-Federalists found themselves in the hypocritical position of criticizing the federal Constitution for failing to codify the freedom of religious practice they had actively denied their fellow citizens during the War for Independence.

SLAG
12-12-2006, 07:41 PM
today is my youngest son's (the hell raiser / head banger (literal) ) birthday

His middle name is Deigo in honor of the feast of "Our Lady of Guadalupe"

4th and Long
12-12-2006, 07:45 PM
today is my youngest son's (the hell raiser / head banger (literal) ) birthday

His middle name is Deigo in honor of the feast of "Our Lady of Guadalupe"
And here we all thought you named him after that saber tooth tiger in Ice Age.
http://percewall.com/velice/imagenes/Cine_IceAge2_DiegoSid.jpg

Rain Man
12-12-2006, 08:10 PM
According to union soldier Abram Stafford, the weather in Strawberry Plains was nice that day.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ohgeauga/abram3.htm

Saturday, December 12, 1863

Weather fine - came in from picit. They are working on the Brig at strawbery plains. It seams we have stoped drawing rations. We havent drue eny for some time.

4th and Long
12-12-2006, 08:13 PM
I believe Frank "Old Blue Eyes" Sinatra was born on this date as well.

Hammock Parties
12-12-2006, 08:18 PM
www.google.com you asshats!

Thig Lyfe
12-12-2006, 08:20 PM
According to union soldier Abram Stafford, the weather in Strawberry Plains was nice that day.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ohgeauga/abram3.htm

Saturday, December 12, 1863

Weather fine - came in from picit. They are working on the Brig at strawbery plains. It seams we have stoped drawing rations. We havent drue eny for some time.

That idiot needed spell check.

4th and Long
12-12-2006, 08:21 PM
You ever get the feeling that you're being ignored? :D

TinyEvel
12-12-2006, 08:23 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about the last time we made the playoffs, and won a game.

4th and Long
12-12-2006, 08:27 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about the last time we made the playoffs, and won a game.
We aren't on that list.

Events in Sport on this Day in History
1899 - George F Bryant of Boston patents the wooden golf tee
1930 - Baseball changes rule, ball bounces into stands not a HR, now a double
1937 - Washington Redskins win NFL championship
1950 - Baseball owners vote to drop 4-year old bonus and high school rule
1951 - Joe DiMaggio announces his retirement
1965 - Gale Sayers of Chicago Bears scores 6 TDs, ties NFL record
1968 - Arthur Ashe becomes 1st black to be ranked #1 in tennis
1973 - Canada begins selling Olympic coins ($5 and $10 silver coins)
1982 - 57th Australian Womens Tennis: C Evert beats M Navratilova (63 26 63)
1982 - Joanne Carner/John Mahaffey wins LPGA J C Penney Golf Classic
1987 - Mookie Blaylock sets NBA record of 13 steals in a game
1988 - Sandra Miller of Queens sues Mike Tyson for sexual harassment
1991 - NJ Nets set NBA record of 22 blocks beating Nuggets 121-81
1995 - NBA referees return to work after striking
1997 - Red Sox sign Pedro Martinez to record 6 year $69 million contract

Simply Red
12-12-2006, 08:40 PM
this thread

ROCKS!!

Coach
12-12-2006, 08:58 PM