PDA

View Full Version : It Doesn't Look Good for Lamar

kcfanintitanhell
12-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Prayers and white light to the Hunt family-

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Lamar Hunt was fighting for his life in a Dallas hospital Tuesday, and friends and family of the 74-year-old pioneer of the modern NFL were hoping for "miracles."

When Lamar Hunt couldn't buy an NFL team, he started the AFL. (AP)
When Lamar Hunt couldn't buy an NFL team, he started the AFL. (AP)
Hunt has battled cancer for several years and was hospitalized the day before Thanksgiving with a partially collapsed lung. Doctors discovered that the cancer has since spread, and Hunt has been under heavy sedation since last week.

"They're trying to make him as comfortable as possible," said Carl Peterson, president and general manager of Hunt's Kansas City Chiefs. "He's battling a very courageous fight. We'll continue to hope that miracles will happen."

The son of Texas oilman H.L. Hunt tried unsuccessfully to buy an NFL team in the late 1950s, and when continually rebuffed, he persuaded several other wealthy sportsmen to form the American Football League to compete with the NFL.

His Dallas Texans moved to Kansas City in 1963 and became the Chiefs. Several years later, the NFL was forced to merge with Hunt's successful AFL, and the modern league was born.

Long an eloquent spokesman for the league and for small-market teams such as Kansas City, Hunt in 1972 became the first AFL figure inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The AFC championship trophy is named after him and, coincidentally, it was Hunt who gave the Super Bowl its name.

He and his family also have been active in professional soccer, and he's a minority owner of the NBA's Chicago Bulls.

Clark Hunt, one of his four children, has been gradually assuming his father's oversight of the family's sports interests.

"I was with Clark Hunt yesterday, and of course I speak with the family every day," Peterson said. "There's not any improvement."

Hunt and other early day owners who put the health of the league above the best interests of their individual clubs have been credited with helping the NFL avoid the big market-small market disparity that has plagued major league baseball.

Peterson said he visited Hunt's hospital bed last week.

"He's giving it everything he can," Peterson said. "The doctors are also. We hope and pray for good results.

"All the family is there. Everybody's there," Peterson added. "It's extremely hard for everybody. And on a personal note, certainly I've been with this guy a long time and have the utmost respect and love for him. I've known him since 1976 when I came into the league, and I know what he's contributed to the National Football League, to Kansas City, to this community.

"It's a difficult time for everybody."

Sorry if this a repost, but didn't see this updated story .

leviw
12-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Repost.

Too depressing to read again.

PinkFloyd
12-12-2006, 08:02 PM
I believe this has been on here a couple of times today, but that's ok... I won't bash you, and I'm sure in light of the situation, no one else will either...

Looks like Lamar won't see another title in KC... And that's really sad...

BigVE
12-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Have you even read some of the messages on the front page? "New yahoo article on Mr. Hunt"...ring a bell.

the Talking Can
12-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Sounds like he might not last the season.

It is cruel that CP never brought him a championship. I hope it haunts him.

Easy 6
12-12-2006, 08:12 PM
God bless Mr.Hunt, i hope he had a wonderful life. He has his magical seasons to look back on, a SB ring etc.

He lived a blessed life & blessed us with CHIEF football.

Godspeed, Lamar.

4th and Long
12-12-2006, 08:12 PM

If they've had him doped up for the last week and you see quotes such as, "They're trying to make him as comfortable as possible," and, "There's not any improvement." chances are he may not live through the week.

the Talking Can
12-12-2006, 08:14 PM
If they've had him doped up for the last week and you see quotes such as, "They're trying to make him as comfortable as possible," and, "There's not any improvement." chances are he may not live through the week.

Next thing you know CP will announce a long term extension for Ryan Sims...the final nail....

4th and Long
12-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Next thing you know CP will announce a long term extension for Ryan Sims...the final nail....
If that happens, I'll surely hunt you down and kick you squarely in the junk for even mentioning it. You know management reads this board, damnit!

chiefqueen
12-12-2006, 08:35 PM

IMO opinion that's why they had a moment of silence for him Sunday. Because they don't think he'll make to our next home game on 12/31.

CoMoChief
12-12-2006, 08:44 PM

Not to be mean, I hope he gets better, but it's his own damn fault. How long has Carl been around? He should have left when Marty left but he cares about money more than he does winning. If he didn't Carl would have been gone a long time ago. As long as he's filling seat to the max and making lot's of money, Carl stays. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the longest tenured GM in professional sports still has a job after 18 years with only 1 playoff win to show for it. Carl still filled the seats and Lamar kept making money. If that wasn't the case Carl wouldn't be here. It's a business, Lamar wants to make money, end of story. I'm sure he wanted to win as well, but I bet he cared more about losing money than he did about losing games.

kcfanintitanhell
12-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Have you even read some of the messages on the front page? "New yahoo article on Mr. Hunt"...ring a bell.

Why would I want to ring a bell??

4th and Long
12-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Not to be mean, I hope he gets better, but it's his own damn fault. How long has Carl been around? He should have left when Marty left but he cares about money more than he does winning. If he didn't Carl would have been gone a long time ago. As long as he's filling seat to the max and making lot's of money, Carl stays. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the longest tenured GM in professional sports still has a job after 18 years with only 1 playoff win to show for it. Carl still filled the seats and Lamar kept making money. If that wasn't the case Carl wouldn't be here. It's a business, Lamar wants to make money, end of story. I'm sure he wanted to win as well, but I bet he cared more about losing money than he did about losing games.
The man has done more for football than any other owner. Way to trash him when he's on his death bed. And the neg rep bombs start in 3, ... 2, ... 1, ...

SoCalBronco
12-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Your friends from the rest of the AFC West are also hoping for a miracle, Mr. Hunt. We all really hope he can come through.

May all of our prayers be answered.

Coach
12-12-2006, 08:53 PM

Yeah, that's the impression I get.

Still though, it's gonna suck anyways, considering what the man has done for the Chiefs franchise and the NFL as well.

CoMoChief
12-12-2006, 08:54 PM
The man has done more for football than any other owner. Way to trash him when he's on his death bed. And the neg rep bombs start in 3, ... 2, ... 1, ...

I'm not saying that he didn't do anything for football. All I'm saying that it's his own fault for not seeing another SB again because he' kept Carl too long so he could fill his wallet up. It amazes me how some people still don't see that.

Sure-Oz
12-12-2006, 08:57 PM
This really really sucks, you'd think the team would man up knowing their owner is dying. I hope he somehow makes it, but just by the quotes its really sad to hear whats possibly coming.

Sure-Oz
12-12-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm not saying that he didn't do anything for football. All I'm saying that it's his own fault for not seeing another SB again because he' kept Carl too long so he could fill his wallet up. It amazes me how some people still don't see that.
Really not the time to even bash or slightly dig into him. This man is the NFL!

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-12-2006, 08:59 PM
This really really sucks, you'd think the team would man up knowing their owner is dying. I hope he somehow makes it, but just by the quotes its really sad to hear whats possibly coming.

It wouldn't surprise me if 2/3 of that team couldn't recognize a picture of him. If you think that most of the players on that team, or any team, have loyalty to an owner, you're living in a different era of sports.

4th and Long
12-12-2006, 09:00 PM
It seems that you've already covered the answer to this, Einstein.
It's a business.
Let's see, if you run the team like a business, you make money. If you make money, it does those little things like, oh, I dunno, say maybe, keep the team in Kansas City.

If you don't run the team like a business, you lose money. If you lose money, the does things like, oh, I dunno, say maybe, moves to another city.

Are you catching on yet?

4th and Long
12-12-2006, 09:02 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if 2/3 of that team couldn't recognize a picture of him.
I wish I had a way to take you up on that.

Coach
12-12-2006, 09:03 PM
It seems that you've already covered the answer to this, Einstein.

Let's see, if you run the team like a business, you make money. If you make money, it does those little things like, oh, I dunno, say maybe, keep the team in Kansas City.

If you don't run the team like a business, you lose money. If you lose money, the does things like, oh, I dunno, say maybe, moves to another city.

Are you catching on yet?

I knew that, but at the same time, he could had made more money, if the Chiefs could decently get at least the AFC West title, and a home game, you know?

ChiefsCountry
12-12-2006, 09:03 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if 2/3 of that team couldn't recognize a picture of him. If you think that most of the players on that team, or any team, have loyalty to an owner, you're living in a different era of sports.

I bet they do, Lamar Hunt was at training camp, before games with them, after games with them all this year before his health started to fail.

4th and Long
12-12-2006, 09:09 PM
I knew that, but at the same time, he could had made more money, if the Chiefs could decently get at least the AFC West title, and a home game, you know?
Since Lamar doesn't evaluate the talent or sit in on draft day, blaming him personally for the lack of talent is a bit of a stretch. Sure, he's kept Peterson on for a good many years but it all goes back to this being a business.

The thing is, 99.9% of you keep coming back, year after year, with the expectations of this year possibly being it.

You have a problem with the team? Fine. Do something about it. Go find a new one to cheer for. There are 33 other ones to choose from.

Dartgod
12-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Not to be mean, I hope he gets better, but it's his own damn fault. How long has Carl been around? He should have left when Marty left but he cares about money more than he does winning. If he didn't Carl would have been gone a long time ago. As long as he's filling seat to the max and making lot's of money, Carl stays. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the longest tenured GM in professional sports still has a job after 18 years with only 1 playoff win to show for it. Carl still filled the seats and Lamar kept making money. If that wasn't the case Carl wouldn't be here. It's a business, Lamar wants to make money, end of story. I'm sure he wanted to win as well, but I bet he cared more about losing money than he did about losing games.This is hardly appropriate for this thread.

While I agree that it is a valid arguement and has been debated many times before, please use this thread to honor the man who's legacy goes far beyond whether or not the Chiefs have appeared in a Super Bowl the last 35+ years.

Coach
12-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Since Lamar doesn't evaluate the talent or sit in on draft day, blaming him personally for the lack of talent is a bit of a stretch. Sure, he's kept Peterson on for a good many years but it all goes back to this being a business.

The thing is, 99.9% of you keep coming back, year after year, with the expectations of this year possibly being it.

You have a problem with the team? Fine. Do something about it. Go find a new one to cheer for. There are 33 other ones to choose from.

I was by no means, blaming him for the talent or the sitting on draft day. I'm just simply saying that he kept Carl and Steadman a bit long than he should had let them stayed.

I don't have a problem with the team. I just have a problem with Carl.

chiefqueen
12-12-2006, 09:47 PM
I bet they do, Lamar Hunt was at training camp, before games with them, after games with them all this year before his health started to fail.

It's well known that Lamar would become acquanted with the players.

Rain Man
12-12-2006, 10:24 PM

I'm debating between Birmingham and Portland.

Coach
12-12-2006, 10:32 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamar_Hunt

As of December 2006, he is reported to be hospitalized and near death from cancer.

Simplex3
12-12-2006, 11:00 PM
I've buried 2 close family members from cancer in the last 2 years and I'm going to lose a 3rd most likely in weeks, not months. When they start talking about "making them comfortable" that seems to be a euphemism for drugging them up and letting them go. It's not a bad thing considering the condition people are in when they get to that point.

My only hope is that as Mr. Hunt lies there he has no regrets about what he did or did not do during his life and that he is able to say the things he wants to say to the people he loves.

FAX
12-12-2006, 11:03 PM
I've buried 2 close family members from cancer in the last 2 years and I'm going to lose a 3rd most likely in weeks, not months. When they start talking about "making them comfortable" that seems to be a euphemism for drugging them up and letting them go. It's not a bad thing considering the condition people are in when they get to that point. ...

That's exactly what happened to my sister this fall, Mr. Simplex3. When we transferred her to "comfort care", she lasted less than a week.

I suppose it all depends on how strong he is and, probably, how ready he is to go.

FAX

Chiefs Pantalones
12-12-2006, 11:35 PM
I believe this has been on here a couple of times today, but that's ok... I won't bash you, and I'm sure in light of the situation, no one else will either...

He can thank Carl for that.

cdcox
12-13-2006, 12:45 AM
Lamar Hunt has done so much for football and so much for Kansas City. A great, great man, who took his wealth and invested it in such a way that tens of millions of people benefited from it. If you are an NFL fan today, you owe a debt to Lamar Hunt. Sport is not life, but it sure is one of the more enjoyable aspects of it.

God bless Lamar Hunt.

kcxiv
12-13-2006, 02:11 AM
Hope he gets better, but whats also sad is he doesnt even own his own trophy.

CoMoChief
12-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Hope he gets better, but whats also sad is he doesnt even own his own trophy.

Once again that is his own fault.

htismaqe
12-13-2006, 11:38 AM
He can thank Carl for that.

He can thank himself for that. After all, he gave Carl extension after extension.