PDA

View Full Version : How Does Carl Peterskin...

Archie F. Swin
12-14-2006, 12:36 PM
...enjoy having a boss just over 40 years old? Or is Clark just CP's yes man?

FAX
12-14-2006, 12:38 PM
I don't know the answers to those questions, Mr. Archie F. Swin, but I sure hope - from the bottom of my heart - that Clark knows the game of football.

A change in leadership can dramatically affect an organization. For better or for worse.

FAX

rad
12-14-2006, 12:41 PM
I don't know the answers to those questions, Mr. Archie F. Swin, but I sure hope - from the bottom of my heart - that Clark knows the game of football.

A change in leadership can dramatically affect an organization. For better or for worse.

FAX

Amen.

King_Chief_Fan
12-14-2006, 12:42 PM

FAX

correct you are Sir Fax -- When a guy is not a subject matter expert, he surrounds himself with those that are. I hope Clark doesn't think Carl is a subject matter expert.

L.A. Chieffan
12-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Does anybody know if the successor is anything like Lamar or is he gonna can CPs ass first chance he gets to make the fan base happy.

Rausch
12-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Does anybody know if the successor is anything like Lamar or is he gonna can CPs ass first chance he gets to make the fan base happy.

If you're new at a job do you can the 2nd in command as your first order of business?...

L.A. Chieffan
12-14-2006, 01:18 PM
If you're new at a job do you can the 2nd in command as your first order of business?...
Thanks for cheering me up...

BigRedChief
12-14-2006, 01:27 PM
He's been the Chiefs "official" rep at NFL meetings for years. He's been going to "work" daily at Arrowhead for years now. He should be sufficently grommed. I'm sure Dad gave him plenty of advise. hopefully he was smart enough to listen

ChiefsCountry
12-14-2006, 01:33 PM
How would any of you feel working for someone younger than you?

Phobia
12-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Clark didn't JUST get promoted. He's been running the organization for a while now. Carl has been working for Clark for over a year officially. I don't think Lamar's death will have any profound effect on the way the front office runs the team.

dirk digler
12-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Clark didn't JUST get promoted. He's been running the organization for a while now. Carl has been working for Clark for over a year officially. I don't think Lamar's death will have any profound affect on the way the front office runs the team.

But did he consult with Lamar before he made any decisions? I am curious how this will change and if Clark has his own ideas on how to run the team.

ChiefsCountry
12-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Clark didn't JUST get promoted. He's been running the organization for a while now. Carl has been working for Clark for over a year officially. I don't think Lamar's death will have any profound affect on the way the front office runs the team.

Expect for its Clark final say now. I think Lamar had veto power over him before.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-14-2006, 01:38 PM

This is why you work for WarPaint ;)

Phobia
12-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Expect for its Clark final say now. I think Lamar had veto power over him before.

If you had been grooming your son to take over your team and had as much class as Lamar has been reputed to have, would you veto his decisions or would you let him develop the confidence to run the operation by making a mistake here or there?

I don't know the answer to that question but I have watched Lamar slowly step back as Clark stepped forward over the past 6 years that I have been able to watch closely.

I feel Clark has been calling the shots since he was officially given the title. I could be wrong.

Phobia
12-14-2006, 01:43 PM
This is why you work for WarPaint ;)

I don't frequently make those mistakes. I know the difference between affect and effect.

ChiefsCountry
12-14-2006, 01:44 PM
If you had been grooming your son to take over your team and had as much class as Lamar has been reputed to have, would you veto his decisions or would you let him develop the confidence to run the operation by making a mistake here or there?

I don't know the answer to that question but I have watched Lamar slowly step back as Clark stepped forward over the past 6 years that I have been able to watch closely.

I feel Clark has been calling the shots since he was officially given the title. I could be wrong.

From some of the people from the Chiefs that I know, Clark made the decisions but Lamar had the final say.

FAX
12-14-2006, 01:46 PM

No better time to shake things up, though, Mr. Phobia.

It is a fairly common business strategy that, when substantial change occurs, leadership asserts itself quickly and in a significant manner.

Just sayin'.

FAX

Phobia
12-14-2006, 01:47 PM
It would be interesting to know if Lamar actually exercised any control in that regard.

ChiefsCountry
12-14-2006, 01:51 PM
It would be interesting to know if Lamar actually exercised any control in that regard.

I know he did on a couple of the stadium issues.

Phobia
12-14-2006, 02:09 PM

It is a fairly common business strategy that, when substantial change occurs, leadership asserts itself quickly and in a significant manner.

Just sayin'.

Yeah, I did the same thing when I took over Warpaint forums last december. But this is different. I wouldn't categorize it as a "substantial change". Lamar has essentially been retired and Clark has been running things. I don't see it going down like that.

Redrum_69
12-14-2006, 02:12 PM
I thought I read something awhile back that Clark and Carl never see eye to eye or get along.....

Is Carl gone soon?

FAX
12-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I did the same thing when I took over Warpaint forums last december. But this is different. I wouldn't categorize it as a "substantial change". Lamar has essentially been retired and Clark has been running things. I don't see it going down like that.

I'm probably just engaging in wishful thinking, Mr. Phobia. I'm sure you're right.

But, there is this. Clark knew that Carl was Lamar's man, right? It is, therefore, unlikely that Clark would make a move against Carl as long as Lamar was involved either out of respect or loyalty. It is possible, is it not, that Clark can now exercise his authority without considering Lamar's previous decision or feelings?

FAX

tomahawk kid
12-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Just tuned into 810 to hear KK lamenting about Lamar Hunt and his greatness.

I wonder where those notions were a mere 19 months ago, when Mr Kietzman ambushed Lamar on the air in relation to BiState II.

Phobia
Anything is possible.

If you owned a business that was making the most popular (and incredibly profitable) widget in the world and your factory manager had an incredible knack for making your widget look like widgets that cost 2-3 times more to manufacture through some very inexpensive cosmetic techniques, would you fire him just because he didn't bring home the coveted "Prettiest Widget in the World" trophy?

dirk digler
I'm probably just engaging in wishful thinking, Mr. Phobia. I'm sure you're right.

But, there is this. Clark knew that Carl was Lamar's man, right? It is, therefore, unlikely that Clark would make a move against Carl as long as Lamar was involved either out of respect or loyalty. It is possible, is it not, that Clark can now exercise his authority without considering Lamar's previous decision or feelings?

FAX

God I hope so. I am not big into bashing Carl but I think it is time for him to move on. But I don't think it is going to happen. I imagine Carl staying on until the stadium improvements are done. This was his and Lamar's baby.

dirk digler
12-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Anything is possible.

If you owned a business that was making the most popular (and incredibly profitable) widget in the world and your factory manager had an incredible knack for making your widget look like widgets that cost 2-3 times more to manufacture through some very inexpensive cosmetic techniques, would you fire him just because he didn't bring home the coveted "Prettiest Widget in the World" trophy?

Sports is different than Widget manufacturing. Sports is all about winning and you are judged by wins and losses.

Phobia
12-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Sports is different than Widget manufacturing. Sports is all about winning and you are judged by wins and losses.

According to Daniel Snyder and 99.99999% of America, perhaps.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-14-2006, 02:36 PM
I don't frequently make those mistakes. I know the difference between affect and effect.

Oh...I wasn't even referring to the grammar...just the conclusions that you were making in said statement. I hate grammar cops.

FAX
12-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Anything is possible.

That, Mr. Phobia, is a very clever argument. And well made.

Here are my questions. What, exactly, is our factory manager's "knack"? Are you saying that our widgets would not sell without this "knack"? If not, can we not keep our fabulous factory manager and his "knack" while recruiting another individual whose job would be to bring us the "Prettiest Widget in the World" award?

In the NFL, unlike widget making, there are two goals - not just one. One is to make money, of course. The other is the trophy. These are not mutually exclusive objectives. In fact, the trophy complements and contributes to the first objective. The reverse, unfortunately, is not necessarily true. Knack or no knack.

FAX

Calcountry
12-14-2006, 02:39 PM
If you're new at a job do you can the 2nd in command as your first order of business?...You do if you want to go in your OWN direction with out #2 constantly telling you, "Lamar would have done this, or Lamar always did it this way."

Even if it isn't true, #2 can effectively negate any new initiatives #1 wants to impose on the organization.

If Clark is serious about winning football, and cares about the sport, he WILL want to implement HIS guys and make it HIS team.

It is the only way it will work.

Phobia
12-14-2006, 02:51 PM
That, Mr. Phobia, is a very clever argument. And well made.

Here are my questions. What, exactly, is our factory manager's "knack"? Are you saying that our widgets would not sell without this "knack"? If not, can we not keep our fabulous factory manager and his "knack" while recruiting another individual whose job would be to bring us the "Prettiest Widget in the World" award?

In the NFL, unlike widget making, there are two goals - not just one. One is to make money, of course. The other is the trophy. These are not mutually exclusive objectives. In fact, the trophy complements and contributes to the first objective. The reverse, unfortunately, is not necessarily true. Knack or no knack.

FAX

Nobody can put their finger exactly on what this manager does so well but many managers have tried to duplicate his efforts and failed. In fact, most of your competitors fire their manager every couple years in an effort to produce their widget as efficiently as you do.

Phobia
12-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Oh...I wasn't even referring to the grammar...just the conclusions that you were making in said statement. I hate grammar cops.

Oh, well heh - you don't know how funny that is. I reach a different conclusion than the "other guys" at Warpaint almost every time. I'm the black sheep there.

Calcountry
12-14-2006, 02:56 PM

I feel Clark has been calling the shots since he was officially given the title. I could be wrong.And Clark's first official, all alone game, is going to be nationally televised, with them honoring and giving condolences to his dad all while watching his team get pasted.

I hope it makes him mad as heck.

Calcountry
12-14-2006, 02:57 PM

Just sayin'.

FAXCP, should be fired as soon as the funeral is over.

Reerun_KC
12-14-2006, 03:00 PM
while watching his team get pasted.

I hope it makes him mad as heck.

I hope SD is that gentle...

I predict a SD 42 KC 9 type game. We run the ball and kick field goals...

Which is good for me, Rivers and LT are on my fantasy team.. I need a win to advance to the championship.. Couldnt come at a better time. Those 2 against Herm and the Chiefs....

I hate to see them get rolled, but since the Cleveland debacle, it is fitting.

Calcountry
12-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Anything is possible.

If you owned a business that was making the most popular (and incredibly profitable) widget in the world and your factory manager had an incredible knack for making your widget look like widgets that cost 2-3 times more to manufacture through some very inexpensive cosmetic techniques, would you fire him just because he didn't bring home the coveted "Prettiest Widget in the World" trophy?I would if I wanted to have one of those trophies handed to me to put in my trophy case.

Calcountry
12-14-2006, 03:01 PM
God I hope so. I am not big into bashing Carl but I think it is time for him to move on. But I don't think it is going to happen. I imagine Carl staying on until the stadium improvements are done. This was his and Lamar's baby.What if Clark doesn't want a refurbished dream, but one of his own?

Phobia
12-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Okay, the widget argument might have flaws. How about a sports analogy?

Your widget company is incredibly profitable. You decide to sponsor a professional golfer who is very good. He's very good. He puts your company logo all over his shirts, hats, and golf equipment. He shows up at the company Christmas party and talks about how great everybody is. But he's never won a Major. The dude wins tons of tournaments that don't matter. Sponsoring him has brought big money to the bottom line, but he just can't reach that final pinnacle (sorry about that).

All the big-time major winners already have exclusive sponsorships with other widget manufacturers. Do you dump the pre-2005 Phil Mickelson for another golfer?

dirk digler
12-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Okay, the widget argument might have flaws. How about a sports analogy?

Your widget company is incredibly profitable. You decide to sponsor a professional golfer who is very good. He's very good. He puts your company logo all over his shirts, hats, and golf equipment. He shows up at the company Christmas party and talks about how great everybody is. But he's never won a Major. The dude wins tons of tournaments that don't matter. Sponsoring him has brought big money to the bottom line, but he just can't reach that final pinnacle (sorry about that).

All the big-time major winners already have exclusive sponsorships with other widget manufacturers. Do you dump the pre-2005 Phil Mickelson for another golfer?

After 18 years of not winning any majors..yeah I would dump his ass.

StcChief
12-14-2006, 03:11 PM
According to Daniel Snyder and 99.99999% of America, perhaps.

and it's worked out quite well for Snyder :rolleyes:

shaneo69
12-14-2006, 10:25 PM

The Chiefs fan base is already happy. They've sold out Arrowhead for 15 straight years. The fans don't want anything to change. The only people that want change are the yahoos that call in to sports radio stations.

dirk digler
12-14-2006, 10:28 PM
The Chiefs fan base is already happy. They've sold out Arrowhead for 15 straight years. The fans don't want anything to change. The only people that want change are the yahoos that call in to sports radio stations.

I hope you are being sarcastic shaneo.

Simplex3
12-14-2006, 10:33 PM
How would any of you feel working for someone younger than you?
If I was making that kind of jack and delivering a sub-par performance? I'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

Mecca
12-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Phobia pretty much supports what I've said........making money is more important than winning to Chiefs ownership. If you want change don't go to the games........if Carl stopped making money they'd then consider moving him.

Coach
12-14-2006, 10:35 PM
It's funny though, of all the years while Carl was in charge, the worst record was in 2001, a 6-10 finish.

In other words, there was bad football, but not as bad as, say a 4-12 or 3-13 football team.

I'm beginning to wonder what would happen if the Chiefs had a 4-12 season under Herm and Carl. I'm sure it wouldn't be very pretty.

Mecca
12-14-2006, 10:38 PM
It's funny though, of all the years while Carl was in charge, the worst record was in 2001, a 6-10 finish.

In other words, there was bad football, but not as bad as, say a 4-12 or 3-13 football team.

I'm beginning to wonder what would happen if the Chiefs had a 4-12 season under Herm and Carl. I'm sure it wouldn't be very pretty.

If it wasn't for the fans out at Arrowhead there'd have been a few 4-12 years.....a couple of those teams were really bad and won 7 games.

Sometimes I think that's part of the reason we're in the spot we're in now even in bad rebuilding type years we win 7 games so we miss out in the draft.