PDA

View Full Version : OFF Season Topic - Why not support human cloning?

Logical
12-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Seriously what is the harm. I think in the long term future of mankind it is for the best.

DMAC
12-21-2006, 10:20 AM
It's not offseason yet.

ck_IN
12-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Because 1. I really don't want the prospect of another Logical running around. One is surely enough. 2. I'm not comfortable with the ability of Man to be God.

el borracho
12-21-2006, 10:29 AM
I can't think of a single reason to oppose cloning research.

Iowanian
12-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Noone is "so cool" that they need a 2nd of themselves.

Here's food for thought.

First human clone.....born without a soul. Antichrist.

el borracho
12-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Because 1. I really don't want the prospect of another Logical running around. One is surely enough. 2. I'm not comfortable with the ability of Man to be God.
Pretty much all modern medicine is "playing god", is it not?

el borracho
12-21-2006, 10:32 AM

Here's food for thought.

First human clone.....born without a soul. Antichrist.
I may be incorrect but I think the appeal of cloning is not to have multiple versions of one person but to grow replacement parts for the people who are here.

ck_IN
12-21-2006, 10:35 AM
<i>I can't think of a single reason to oppose cloning research.</i>

Did you ever see the movie Coma? It's a 1978 flick. The jist of it is a hospital puts patients into coma's and then harvests their organs. Take that work of fiction and mix in human cloning and suddenly it's not so fictional. It's also extremely troubling to create a human for the sole purpose of collecting his/her spare parts.

Iowanian
12-21-2006, 10:36 AM
You just going to grow a replacement testicle?
Plan on creating a live being to "part out"

"sorry Bill 2.1, he lost his weiner in an unfortunate incident with a bench grinder"

Rooster
12-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Only if we can clone some of our defensive players from the 90's. Other than that the whole thing creeps me out a bit.

el borracho
12-21-2006, 10:39 AM
<i>I can't think of a single reason to oppose cloning research.</i>

Did you ever see the movie Coma? It's a 1978 flick. The jist of it is a hospital puts patients into coma's and then harvests their organs. Take that work of fiction and mix in human cloning and suddenly it's not so fictional. It's also extremely troubling to create a human for the sole purpose of collecting his/her spare parts.
People always think of cloning as creating an entire entity. I think eventually the aim would be to clone singular pieces or a brain-dead entity. I can't imagine anyone is proposing the creation of a completely functional human for harvesting purposes.

ck_IN
12-21-2006, 10:39 AM
<i>Pretty much all modern medicine is "playing god", is it not?</i>

No not at all. I might give you a case on the use of life support but even then that's supporting an existing life.

Man playing God in human cloning is the act of deciding this being is a life worth keeping and that one is only worth spare parts.

We aren't ready for that kind of power.

<i>I can't imagine anyone is proposing the creation of a completely functional human for harvesting purposes.</i>

Then you have more faith in your fellow man then I. I can easily see some group cloning beings just for that purpose. They may say that the being is non functional in our sense but what exactly is functional versus non functional? And who draws the distinction?

DMAC
12-21-2006, 10:42 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0llGxDGx1s

JonesCrusher
12-21-2006, 10:42 AM
It is just another made-up political issue intended to divert the attention of the public away from real issues. It's like Education, every political cycle we have to hear how ignorant U.S. children are and how Joe Blow is for the better education of our youth, like anyone is against it. Or Y2k, or global warming or Terry Schaivo or gay marriage or the next piece of crap they shove down our throats.

Simplex3
12-21-2006, 10:44 AM
My sister was saying one of the most "promising" things was a spare parts body, but that they wouldn't have heads. I don't believe in God, but I still don't like the idea of extending human life indefinitely. We're entirely too greedy and stupid to be around forever. Besides, if whatever force you believe in meant for life to continue forever don't you think it would work that way now?

Bob Dole
12-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Seriously what is the harm. I think in the long term future of mankind it is for the best.

What is the harm?

Who gets to decide who is cloned?

ptlyon
12-21-2006, 10:47 AM

Obviously Jessica Simpson should be the only one that is cloned.

DMAC
12-21-2006, 10:47 AM
What is the harm?

Who gets to decide who is cloned?Chuck Norris

ptlyon
12-21-2006, 10:48 AM
I really never gave this issue much thought before now, but I have to say I am for it.

I could have my clone go to work for me while I play golf and such...

Iowanian
12-21-2006, 10:49 AM
I'm not making any bones about it. I'm against it for my personal moral and Religous beliefs.

Iowanian
12-21-2006, 10:50 AM
I really never gave this issue much thought before now, but I have to say I am for it.

I could have my clone go to work for me while I play golf and such...

Have you seen "Multiplicity"?

Each copy, gets a little less "crisp" until PTv3.0 is a drooling raider fan.....

ptlyon
12-21-2006, 10:50 AM

Although I agree with this, I still want a worker clone.

ck_IN
12-21-2006, 10:51 AM
<i>Jessica Simpson should be the only one that is cloned.</i>

Why? By this time next year she'll be an old model and the new model of empty headed bleach blonde will be making the rounds. No big deal.

Iowanian
12-21-2006, 10:51 AM
You know while you were playing golf, pt.v2.0 is a carbon copy rat bastage and would be taking off early to polish MrsPTs ladygarden.

bkkcoh
12-21-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm not making any bones about it. I'm against it for my personal moral and Religous beliefs.

Agreed.

Just because we, as a society, have the ability to do something doesn't mean that we have the right to do so.

ptlyon
12-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Have you seen "Multiplicity"?

No haven't.

Each copy, gets a little less "crisp" until PTv3.0 is a drooling raider fan.....

Well I never expected him to be as smart or as good looking as me...

If I caught him wearing any Raiders clothing though, that would be the end of him.

Donger
12-21-2006, 10:54 AM
I can't think of a single reason to oppose cloning research.

Yeah. Let's create a entire race of human beings who exist only to serve us and our needs.

There's a word for that, you know.

ptlyon
12-21-2006, 10:54 AM
<i>Jessica Simpson should be the only one that is cloned.</i>

Why? By this time next year she'll be an old model and the new model of empty headed bleach blonde will be making the rounds. No big deal.

Pamela Anderson then?

ptlyon
12-21-2006, 10:55 AM
You know while you were playing golf, pt.v2.0 is a carbon copy rat bastage and would be taking off early to polish MrsPTs ladygarden.

Excellent. One less thing I have to do.

el borracho
12-21-2006, 10:56 AM
I think you already know the answer to that. Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Hamilton, Jackson, Grant and Franklin decide.

el borracho
12-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Yeah. Let's create a entire race of human beings who exist only to serve us and our needs.

There's a word for that, you know.
Again, I don't think anyone is seriously considering a race of fully funcional beings to service us but I'll play along anyway; what is that word?

Mr. Laz
12-21-2006, 11:01 AM
because people don't have enough restraint to not abuse/warp the whole thing.

somebody,somewhere will find someway to try and make money from etc.

i've got no problem with cloning cells/organs etc for medical purposes

someone has kidney failure ....... clone a new one. They won't even have to worry about rejection.

you could clone just about anything but the brain. The brain wouldn't contain all the learned stuff from their life.

rad
12-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Obviously Jessica Simpson should be the only one that is cloned.

That would be mint.

"A Jessica Simpson for everyone!"

There'd be conversations like this:

Doug: "Hey Tim, my Jessica Simpson flipped again, can I borrow yours?

Tim: "No way. The last time I let you borrow my Lohan, you brought her back lookin all skinny and cracked out and sh!t."

Doug: "Dude, that wasn't my fault. Me and Joey left her alone with his Hilton for 5 min. to make a beer run........ I didn't know."

Tim: "Exactly. Forget it, dude, I just got her back from being detailed. Call Jim, he just got a new Chabert and I think he still has his old Spears lying around."

Doug: "Ewwww".

el borracho
12-21-2006, 11:08 AM
somebody,somewhere will find someway to try and make money from etc.
Yes, they will. Wouldn't you prefer it happen here in the US where lots of interest groups will inject at least a modicum of morality into the whole affair?

Seriously, you cannot uninvent something. Even if cloning is banned in the US people will just go to Switzerland or wherever it is available to get it done.

slappyhappy
12-21-2006, 11:12 AM
Why not do it? Other creatures on Earth have done it forever!!

Frazod
12-21-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm all for it. The world needs more frazods. :evil:

Donger
12-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Again, I don't think anyone is seriously considering a race of fully funcional beings to service us but I'll play along anyway; what is that word?

Slavery.

Simplex3
12-21-2006, 11:22 AM
you could clone just about anything but the brain. The brain wouldn't contain all the learned stuff from their life.
Good to know that you are completely sure that everything is stored in the brain.

I'm wondering if Alzheimer's isn't nature's answer to our medical ability to live longer than she meant for us to.

HemiEd
12-21-2006, 11:24 AM

Me too, but I have no doubt that other countries will be doing it.

el borracho
12-21-2006, 11:33 AM
Slavery.
Nobody is proposing a slave race.

Donger
12-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Nobody is proposing a slave race.

Proposing? No. Not yet.

el borracho
12-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Good to know that you are completely sure that everything is stored in the brain.
Q: What is a person without a brain?
A: Dead.

el borracho
12-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Proposing? No. Not yet.
Are you really using the slippery slope argument? Does that mean you have no problem with the cloning of individual organs?

Simplex3
12-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Q: What is a person without a brain?
A: Dead.
Just because it's the center of the nervous system doesn't mean that's where your thoughts are happening. All I'm saying is that I'm not so arrogant that I assume I *KNOW*.

Logical
12-21-2006, 11:49 AM
What is the harm?

The assumptions that I believe is faulty is that the only pupose for cloning is to harvest parts or duplicate a person. I think loong term it holds the potential for genetically more resilent people that would be independent and not the duplicate of others.

boogblaster
12-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Its already happened, Boog Jr. and Boog III are close to being Boog clones...if Ive got another 20 years maybe Boog IV will appear for training....