PDA

View Full Version : My Nike+iPod Runners Review

Silock
12-22-2006, 03:00 PM
I must say, I'm impressed. For only $40, this thing works more than adequately. The only downside is the lack of GPS, but again... it's only $40. GPS units are far, far more expensive and I haven't found one that has all the cool, unique features that the Nike account gives you.

The shoe sensor is fairly accurate out of the box. It slightly overestimated the distance I ran before I calibrated it. I ran 800m and it told me I had gone 810. Not too shabby. I then calibrated it, and it was accurate down to 10 meters over the course of 1600. I'm impressed.

The feedback it gives you during your workout is really cool. It's a lot more convenient than having to look down at a watch and do a bunch of math. You can just concentrate on the running and it tells you how far you've gone, how much time you have remaining, and what your current pace is. Very slick.

Once you get done with your workout, it records the data and when you connect your iPod to your computer, it automatically uploads the data to the Nike website where you can track your progress.

http://home.comcast.net/~agoggans1/nike.jpg

I started recording my workout in the middle of my interval training session. I used the first half of my workout to get it calibrated. I'm not really as concerned about the accuracy of the distance it records, because it can change based on elevation or you changing your stride length. But overall, it's accurate enough. What I really like is the fact that it records the pace you're on. You can see that I was getting tired near the end of my training session. The intervals were 80% of max speed for 3 minutes followed by a 3 minute slow recovery run. The end shows my 10 minute cooldown. What I'm really excited about is being able to track the effort I give on my runs. Some days, you just don't feel like you ran that fast, but maybe you did. And some days, you might feel that you went quick, but you really didn't. With this, I'll know the truth and I'll be able to either kick my ass harder the next time to make up for it, or know that I can go a little easier because I did so well yesterday.

The actual tracking isn't as useful for me as most people, because I usually do specific workouts when I run, and I don't usually just set a distance or time and go. I'm usually doing some form of training, which makes this thing a little more inaccurate.

The website is cool in that you can join a user group and compete with people around the country, or if your friends have one, you can challenge them to a race, even though you're not in the same city as them.

All in all, for $40, this is a bargain. Highly recommended. And no, you don't have to buy the special Nike+ shoes, but you do have to have an iPod Nano.

DMAC
12-22-2006, 03:22 PM
I don't run much anymore...but I like those shoes.

kepp
12-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Did they put a little "Check Shoes" warning light on it?

Eleazar
12-22-2006, 04:37 PM
I have one too, it works pretty well. The only thing I notice is that between running on the street and on a treadmill at the gym, there is a difference. On the street it seems just about accurate with the distance (as crudely measured by my car's trip odometer), but on a treadmill it usually totals up something less than the distance on the machine. Just shorts maybe a tenth of a mile over a 2 mile stretch, perhaps.

Good value, for sure.

Silock
12-22-2006, 05:06 PM
I have one too, it works pretty well. The only thing I notice is that between running on the street and on a treadmill at the gym, there is a difference. On the street it seems just about accurate with the distance (as crudely measured by my car's trip odometer), but on a treadmill it usually totals up something less than the distance on the machine. Just shorts maybe a tenth of a mile over a 2 mile stretch, perhaps.

Good value, for sure.

Where did you calibrate yours? On a track or just over the street?

I went to a track to calibrate mine to help ensure maximum accuracy possible.

NewChief
12-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Is there some sort of integration with the iPod so you can calibrate your playlists?

So let's say I'm doing interval training and I want to do a 3 minute HHR interval with a 2 minute cool down. Can I see a visual plot of that and drop songs into those segments that are appropriate?

Evidently there's a whole new genre on iTunes called "Sports Music" where you can DL Lance Armstrong and various celebs workout playlists. Chris Carmichael also has a download where you can have him basically guiding you through a workout (cycling). Outside Magazine has been doing something pretty much every month on "cyber training" (for lack of a better word) for the last few months. There's some cool stuff out there.

OnTheWarpath15
12-22-2006, 05:07 PM
My wife has been wanting to get back in to running (she used to run 2-3 miles a day before she met me...) and when she saw the commercial she commented on how cool it was.

I just got done wrapping her Christmas gift: A Nano, the Nike kit and an arm sleeve.

I'm curious as to where to put the insert if you don't have the Nike+ shoes. The Apple rep told me that a lot of people slip it into their laces or the tongue of the shoe.

Hope she enjoys it as much as you guys seem to.....

thedude
12-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Wow this would have been totally useful LAST year when I was training for a marathon. Now a year later, I have slowed my training and lost my Ipod as well.

Woe is me.

Silock
12-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Is there some sort of integration with the iPod so you can calibrate your playlists?

So let's say I'm doing interval training and I want to do a 3 minute HHR interval with a 2 minute cool down. Can I see a visual plot of that and drop songs into those segments that are appropriate?

Evidently there's a whole new genre on iTunes called "Sports Music" where you can DL Lance Armstrong and various celebs workout playlists. Chris Carmichael also has a download where you can have him basically guiding you through a workout (cycling). Outside Magazine has been doing something pretty much every month on "cyber training" (for lack of a better word) for the last few months. There's some cool stuff out there.

Kinda... I mean, you'd have to pick the songs out yourself. It won't automatically change to the next song, but it does make you select a playlist when you start the workout. So, you could just manually go on to the next song.

I downloaded a couple of the Nike+ workouts from the iTunes Music Store. I got Increase Your Endurance 1, Increase Your Speed 1, and Anywhere Anytime Workout. They're definitely not for beginners. They're difficult workouts if you take them seriously. They're guided workouts, which is nice, because you don't have to look at a watch or anything and can just listen to the voice telling you when you're halfway through the interval, or what is coming up next. The tracks change automatically, too. Oddly, though, those tracks only work on the iPod Nano. If you have a different iPod, they don't work.

Silock
12-22-2006, 05:28 PM
My wife has been wanting to get back in to running (she used to run 2-3 miles a day before she met me...) and when she saw the commercial she commented on how cool it was.

I just got done wrapping her Christmas gift: A Nano, the Nike kit and an arm sleeve.

I'm curious as to where to put the insert if you don't have the Nike+ shoes. The Apple rep told me that a lot of people slip it into their laces or the tongue of the shoe.

Hope she enjoys it as much as you guys seem to.....

I heartily DO NOT recommend the Nike Sport Sleeve. It's a pain in the ass to use the Nike+ system with it, and you can't even see the screen of the iPod. It sucks because you need to access the menu to start and stop the workout. So, what happens is you start the workout, then have to spend 30 seconds to a minute finagling the iPod back down into the sleeve before you start the workout... then reverse that process to end the workout. It throws off your numbers. I ended up just holding mine halfway through the first workout I used it with. And if you don't get it seated properly, you can't hit the buttons on the iPod (they're also covered up) to give you feedback or change songs or volume. I got the Belkin Sport Sleeve from Amazon for $2, but I really want this one:

Link (http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Marware.woa/1/wa/selectedCategory?catalogCatID=227&wosid=qJq45AxYWeyNwGAHyWIGsw)

As for the transmitter on a non-Nike shoe, you could just tape it to your shoelaces (make sure it doesn't bounce around, though, because it IS a pedometer), or there's www.shoepouch.com.

OnTheWarpath15
12-22-2006, 05:32 PM
I heartily DO NOT recommend the Nike Sport Sleeve. It's a pain in the ass to use the Nike+ system with it, and you can't even see the screen of the iPod. It sucks because you need to access the menu to start and stop the workout. So, what happens is you start the workout, then have to spend 30 seconds to a minute finagling the iPod back down into the sleeve before you start the workout... then reverse that process to end the workout. It throws off your numbers. I ended up just holding mine halfway through the first workout I used it with. And if you don't get it seated properly, you can't hit the buttons on the iPod (they're also covered up) to give you feedback or change songs or volume. I got the Belkin Sport Sleeve from Amazon for $2, but I really want this one:

Link (http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Marware.woa/1/wa/selectedCategory?catalogCatID=227&wosid=qJq45AxYWeyNwGAHyWIGsw)

As for the transmitter on a non-Nike shoe, you could just tape it to your shoelaces (make sure it doesn't bounce around, though, because it IS a pedometer), or there's www.shoepouch.com.

Cool. Looks like the sleeve is going back. Thanks for the input.

Phobia
12-22-2006, 05:41 PM
So, like if I run about 10 miles every 10 years, do you think this system would be of value to me?

Silock
12-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Cool. Looks like the sleeve is going back. Thanks for the input.

NP. Hope she likes it!

Silock
12-22-2006, 05:45 PM
So, like if I run about 10 miles every 10 years, do you think this system would be of value to me?

Well, all you have to do is use it once, and then post a screenshot of your run to impress people. That's what I do! ;)

TN_Chief
12-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Actually, Nike makes a couple of different "sleeves". I know the one y'all are complaining about...that's the newer one. Earlier in the year they were selling one (I bought a couple) that enables you to see the display. I tried to find a link on the Apple site for you, but it doesn't seem to be there. If there's an Apple store in your area, check to see if they still have it in stock. It's superior to the "new" version.

BTW...the reason that you're getting differing readings on a treadmill vs. the track is that you're not actually running as far on the treadmill. The distance shown on the treadmill display is based on the number of revolutions that the rollers are making and the length of the belt. When running on a treadmill, you're actually introducing a vertical component to your motion that's not there when running on solid ground. That robs you of some horizontal motion. Think about it...you could "run" on a treadmill simply by hopping up and down with a very small horizontal component (just enough to stay in place). The belt would move under your feet...and indicate a distance much greater than you'd actually run. Treads are OK if you're just trying to maintain some cardiovascular conditioning, as you're able to maintain an elevated HR for a period of time. But as a method to train for an actual road race...not so much.

TN_Chief
12-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Oops. Here's a link to the ones I bought. At least you can see what it looks like and what I'm talking about.

http://www.uncrate.com/men/gear/ipod/nike-sport-armband-for-ipod-nano-002458.php

PS- if you're able to find one: flip it upside down when you put it on, so that the sensor/headphone jack are facing up. This allows you to read the display right side up.

Silock
12-22-2006, 06:16 PM
That one does look like it would work better.

NewChief
12-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Kinda... I mean, you'd have to pick the songs out yourself. It won't automatically change to the next song, but it does make you select a playlist when you start the workout. So, you could just manually go on to the next song.

I downloaded a couple of the Nike+ workouts from the iTunes Music Store. I got Increase Your Endurance 1, Increase Your Speed 1, and Anywhere Anytime Workout. They're definitely not for beginners. They're difficult workouts if you take them seriously. They're guided workouts, which is nice, because you don't have to look at a watch or anything and can just listen to the voice telling you when you're halfway through the interval, or what is coming up next. The tracks change automatically, too. Oddly, though, those tracks only work on the iPod Nano. If you have a different iPod, they don't work.

Yeah, that's what I want. I want something that I can basically program it to tell me my intervals without having to look at a watch. Lately, I've been doing Sprint 8 workouts which are 30 second sprints with 1.5 minute cooldowns, which is pretty esoteric. So I'd need something I could program myself, not just a pre-programmed download.

Silock
12-22-2006, 09:33 PM
You could try and write an Applescript for that, but I've never seen anything quite that advanced.

http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/

They have forums. You could try poking around in there and see if anyone can help you out with that.

Gonzo
12-22-2006, 09:37 PM
I just bought an Ipod Shuffle. Kicks ass.
Goes well with my new IMAC.

Mecca
12-22-2006, 09:38 PM
I only run if someone who's ass I can't kick is chasing me......