PDA

View Full Version : Rehabbing Holmes wants to play for Chiefs in 2007

siberian khatru
12-24-2006, 10:03 AM
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/16312098.htm?source=rss&channel=dfw_football

Rehabbing Holmes wants to play for Chiefs in 2007

By Charean Williams
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Priest Holmes isn't finished with football, but he will learn in February if football is finished with him.

Holmes, who has spent the past 14 months rehabbing neck and spine injuries, wants to return to the Kansas City Chiefs in 2007. But he said there is no rush to make a decision.

His next medical evaluation comes in two months.

"Having this extended time off is giving me an opportunity for any swelling or fluid levels to become very stable, so I think I'm in great shape," said Holmes, who traveled from his home in San Antonio last week to attend Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt's funeral in Dallas. "What was needed was some time off. Having an entire 12 months without contact has put me in position to be able to make a decision in '07 whether I should return."

Holmes, who averaged 1,530 yards rushing per season for Kansas City from 2001-03, hasn't played since a helmet-to-helmet collision with Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman on Oct. 30, 2005. Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said recently that the team would welcome Holmes back, despite having Larry Johnson.

Holmes said any role would be fine with him.

"When I came into the league... I was fortunate to be behind Earnest Byner," said Holmes, a former Texas Longhorn. "He said, 'One day you'll understand as a running back you're not going to mind allowing a younger guy to take all those reps.'

"The basis of me coming back is just good for the game. I have created a type of success to be a positive role model on the team...."

Dark Horse
12-24-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm all for anything to get Dee Brown off the field

jjjayb
12-24-2006, 10:33 AM
As fragile as he and Bennet are it would be good to have them both. That way they could take turns being hurt.

Hootie
12-24-2006, 10:41 AM
I'm all for anything to get Dee Brown off the field
Yeah...agreed.

Frazod
12-24-2006, 10:44 AM
As fragile as he and Bennet are it would be good to have them both. That way they could take turns being hurt.

ROFL

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Dark Horse
12-24-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm thinking Holmes, LJ, Bennet all in the back field at once. Think of all the creative 3rd and long running plays Solari could come up with.

Chan93lx50
12-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Put him in for passing downs.

He can provide pass protection and on the screens he wont drop the ball!

Sorry to poke a stick at you LJ, but that shit needs to improve!

Bwana
12-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah he does.................riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

SPchief
12-24-2006, 11:23 AM
I will believe Priest wants to be back on the field, when Priest actually steps onto the field.

StcChief
12-24-2006, 11:24 AM
IF he's fit to play.

LJ seems to like to take himself out of the game. So why not.

DJJasonp
12-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Put him in for passing downs.

He can provide pass protection and on the screens he wont drop the ball!

Sorry to poke a stick at you LJ, but that shit needs to improve!

This is true...but almost an equal amount of times LJ hasnt made the catch, Trent has thrown a crappy screen pass either behind LJ or at his feet, or in the dirt.

el borracho
12-24-2006, 11:48 AM
IF he's fit to play.

LJ seems to like to take himself out of the game. So why not.
LJ seems to take himself out of the game? LJ is on pace to equal the record for most carries in a season.

FringeNC
12-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Well, if Priest comes back, and is anywhere near his old self, this would be huge for next year. LJ is just a big-time liability on passing downs -- having Priest in there would make a big difference in our passing game. He's got good hands, and blocks very well. In the Green thread, I thought Green may not fit in anymore, but if Priest comes back, it changes the equation.

ferrarispider95
12-24-2006, 01:45 PM
I am all for Priest coming back, but this has been a broken record. Does he just want attention or does he fully attend to come back?

He also said he was going to attend Training Camp even if he wasn't cleared to play and didn't show.

I will believe it when I see the red and gold 31 on him.

Mecca
12-24-2006, 01:53 PM
I have a better chance of playing for the Chiefs than Priest Holmes does of coming back...

splatbass
12-24-2006, 02:24 PM
LJ seems to take himself out of the game? LJ is on pace to equal the record for most carries in a season.

I've been noticing all season that anytime LJ has a run over 5 yards he sits out the next one or two plays. At the sports bar I go to we laugh about it all the time. He'll get a 10 yard run, and we'll say "time for him to get some oxygen". If he runs for 20 yards or more you can gaurantee he won't play the next two plays. There have been times when after a long run we were at 3rd and short - when we really need him in there - and he is on the sideline. Just watch, and you'll see.

SPchief
12-24-2006, 02:26 PM
I've been noticing all season that anytime LJ has a run over 5 yards he sits out the next one or two plays. At the sports bar I go to we laugh about it all the time. He'll get a 10 yard run, and we'll say "time for him to get some oxygen". If he runs for 20 yards or more you can gaurantee he won't play the next two plays. There have been times when after a long run we were at 3rd and short - when we really need him in there - and he is on the sideline. Just watch, and you'll see.

Damn you LJ for trying to catch your breath after a long run. :cuss:

Mecca
12-24-2006, 02:30 PM
LJ is only on a pace to maybe have the most carries in a single season ever.......yea screw him for not wanting more.....

Easy 6
12-24-2006, 02:39 PM
I just hope that Priest isnt saying all of this out of his azz. It would be a shitty thing to do to KC fans.

Our hopes have been dashed enough lately #31.

Mecca
12-24-2006, 02:39 PM
I just hope that Priest isnt saying all of this out of his azz. It would be a shitty thing to do to KC fans.

Our hopes have been dashed enough lately #31.

He ain't never coming back, it's about his bonus money he doesn't want to pay back.

Easy 6
12-24-2006, 02:42 PM
He ain't never coming back, it's about his bonus money he doesn't want to pay back.

Thats what i'm thinking too.

DanT
12-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Priest Holmes is a man of his word and a great role model. I'd love to see him play again for the Chiefs, but mostly I want him to do what is best for his own health and well-being.

Skip Towne
12-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Priest plays for the Chiefs again when monkeys fly out of his butt.

splatbass
12-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Damn you LJ for trying to catch your breath after a long run. :cuss:

He needs to go to the sideline and breath heavily for two plays after running 10 yards? He is professional athlete, he should be in better shape than I am. I don't see other running backs doing the same thing. I think he needs more conditioning.

Mecca
12-24-2006, 02:55 PM
He needs to go to the sideline and breath heavily for two plays after running 10 yards? He is professional athlete, he should be in better shape than I am. I don't see other running backs doing the same thing. I think he needs more conditioning.

Name another RB that has been run into the ground like LJ this year....oh yea he leads the league in carries by a big margin......

PastorMikH
12-24-2006, 03:00 PM
I think LJ would be a lot less inclined to take plays off after a long run if Priest were waiting to come in.

I also think if Priest were used like Marcus Allen in short yardage and passing situations we'd have more TDs and less FGs.

Larry as the workhorse, Priest to spell him would be great. Priest for a series and LJ for a series would stink.

Halfcan
12-25-2006, 01:18 PM
How is PH a good role model when nobody has seen him around Arrowhead in 2 years? I think he should just retire already. This sounds like the a child support order talking, not his heart.

Ultra Peanut
12-25-2006, 02:50 PM
I want to play for the Chiefs in 2007, too.

Well, not really.

MikeTheWildcat
12-25-2006, 03:13 PM
I think Priest Homes wants to go out on a high note. I think he would be a great backup to L.J.

Bugeater
12-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Does that mean we're going to have to listen to this song & dance routine until his contract is up?

Mecca
12-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Does that mean we're going to have to listen to this song & dance routine until his contract is up?

It's possible unless they come to some sort of agreement.

penchief
12-25-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm not so sure it's LJ taking himself out of the game. It seems to be too predictable. I'd be more apt to believe that it is part of the coaching staffs plan to keep him fresh and not risk getting him hurt after a tiring play.

I seriously can't see LJ taking himself out of the game. JMO.

noa
12-25-2006, 04:18 PM
The only thing Priest needs to rehab is his hand so he can sign all the checks we'll give him for being on injured reserve again.

splatbass
12-25-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm not so sure it's LJ taking himself out of the game. It seems to be too predictable. I'd be more apt to believe that it is part of the coaching staffs plan to keep him fresh and not risk getting him hurt after a tiring play.

I seriously can't see LJ taking himself out of the game. JMO.

You are probably right. I think they do it sometimes in situations that hurt the team though. I forget which game it was, but I remember LJ going out, and Dee Brown going in on 3rd and short. That is just stupid.

CoMoChief
12-25-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm thinking Holmes, LJ, Bennet all in the back field at once. Think of all the creative 3rd and long running plays Solari could come up with.

Yeah right Solari isn't creative.

I'm all for having LJ and Priest in the backfield though. Have been ever since LJ broke out into a stud. Priest can catch and block, LJ can't. It would help though if Trent could throw a damn screen pass though.

TinyEvel
12-26-2006, 02:07 AM
I've been rehabbing to return to UFC.

ROFL

KurtCobain
12-26-2006, 02:20 AM
He'll never get out of rehab if he don't stop smoking the crack.

He's done.

RedThat
12-26-2006, 02:36 AM
I wish every player on the Chiefs had the attitude of a Priest Holmes.

12-26-2006, 02:45 AM
Theres not enough nachos to go around for that.

Dartgod
12-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Does that mean we're going to have to listen to this song & dance routine until an injury settlement is reached?
Fixed your post...

BigRedChief
12-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Priest is never going to play for the KC Chiefs again. Ever. He has to drag this out to get his money. If I was him I would too. Eventually they will reach a injury settlement. But King Carl could be a hard ass and just say give us back the money Priest.

greg63
12-26-2006, 08:31 AM
...Holmes said any role would be fine with him.

"When I came into the league... I was fortunate to be behind Earnest Byner," said Holmes, a former Texas Longhorn. "He said, 'One day you'll understand as a running back you're not going to mind allowing a younger guy to take all those reps.'

"The basis of me coming back is just good for the game. I have created a type of success to be a positive role model on the team...."

...Works for me. I only hope that when he is ready to retire that he walks away from the game on his own terms; he's earned that much IMO.

greg63
12-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Priest is never going to play for the KC Chiefs again. Ever. He has to drag this out to get his money. If I was him I would too. Eventually they will reach a injury settlement. But King Carl could be a hard ass and just say give us back the money Priest.

...More then likely.

greg63
12-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Theres not enough nachos to go around for that.

LMAO

Hootie
12-26-2006, 08:38 AM
he has you fooled, big guy...

he's not even close to a team player.

Over-Head
12-26-2006, 08:44 AM
Hummmm beat up and on injured reserve you say...
Yep, I can see Al giving up a first or second round pick for him.:banghead:

Bwana
12-26-2006, 08:54 AM
I only hope that when he is ready to retire that he walks away from the game on his own terms; he's earned that much IMO.

Hint: He already has. He is dancing the dance right now with the "I want to come back" BS talk, but trust me, he has played his last down of football. If Priest admits he is indeed done, the gravy train derails and his free money goes away. The Chiefs Organizition is to Priest what a DD rack is to a 3 day old baby. Big, juicy and an endless free meal for the time being.

Dartgod
12-26-2006, 09:03 AM
Hint: He already has. He is dancing the dance right now with the "I want to come back" BS talk, but trust me, he has played his last down of football. If Priest admits he is indeed done, the gravy train derails and his free money goes away. The Chiefs Organizition is to Priest what a DD rack is to a 3 day old baby. Big, juicy and an endless free meal for the time being.
I'm really surprised that more people don't get this. I suppose we could be wrong, but all this talk about coming back next year is just posturing for an injury settlement.

Bwana
12-26-2006, 09:20 AM
I'm really surprised that more people don't get this. I suppose we could be wrong, but all this talk about coming back next year is just posturing for an injury settlement.

I have no idea why. I think most people do get it, at least deep down. Perhaps it was the way he went out so unexpectedly, never to return? I loved the guy, but he is done. Sorry to the folks that think he's coming back, Fantasy Island came and went a long time ago. I hate to say it, but it’s over.

penchief
12-26-2006, 09:30 AM

Oh, I don't know. I think Priest has revealed himself a little over the past few years. He's a great guy and a great player but I'm not sure he's all that much of a team player.

Now, if every player on our team had LJ's desire to win and his competitiveness, then I think we'd have something.

teedubya
12-26-2006, 11:56 AM
I have a better chance of playing for the Chiefs next year than Priest does. /Mecca.

Oh, wait... he already said that. nm,

Hydrae
12-26-2006, 01:03 PM

Then show up for a game or two and show that you actually support the team! :cuss: