PDA

View Full Version : We need a wide body

Hydrae
12-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Since our D-Tackles suck so badly we should go out during the off season and get ourselves a big wide-body type of DT and go to the 3-4. This will free up Bell to do what he did in Pittsburgh and allow Fox to start on the outside. We have some decent strength at LBer and I have been wanting to see us go to the 3-4 for a couple of years. The problem has always been the lack of someone to play Nosetackle. Well, I don't see that we have any decent DTs on the roster currently anyway so now would be a good time to make the change.

Redrum_69
12-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Your mom fits the description

and whats even better is the "warning"signal her ass emits backing up

KC-TBB
12-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Just give Reed a bunch of McDonalds gift coupons...he'll be up to 450#'s in no time.

Archie Bunker
12-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Our best front 7 players are a 4-3 OLB and 2 4-3 DEs. The last thing the Chiefs should do is blow it up for a 3-4.

Fish
12-26-2006, 10:30 AM
NO.....

Ebolapox
12-26-2006, 10:32 AM
warren sapp??

just asking... he might be a FA after the year, and he has a previous relationship with herm... and he ain't small these days

Fish
12-26-2006, 10:34 AM
warren sapp??

just asking... he might be a FA after the year, and he has a previous relationship with herm... and he ain't small these days

No more old guys either!

suds79
12-26-2006, 10:53 AM
I know we need better DTs but I just don't get why people keep pounding on Reed & Edwards.

Yes we will need better but IMO, they are a lot of other guys who need to go before them.

Ty "I slipped" Law has been killing us.
Kendrell Bell has had 1 real good game that I can remember. To bad it was just against the sorriest team in football. (Raiders)
Jordan I-65 Black. Need I say more about Jordan?
Kyle Turley.

IMO we need to replace all these guys before we get to James & Ron.

ROYC75
12-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Going to a base 3-4 is almost like giving up on Hali and Allen..... Why would we do this? If we didn't have them, I could see it.

Just pick up a couple of good DT's.........

Rain Man
12-26-2006, 10:56 AM
I agree with Roy and Archie. Our defensive ends aren't suited for a 3-4. It's 4-3 or bust.

MichaelH
12-26-2006, 11:05 AM
Rosie only plays with other girls.

Rain Man
12-26-2006, 11:07 AM
No more old guys either!

Ted Washington?

Easy 6
12-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Going to a 3-4 means getting rid of Allen & Hali, they dont fit the profile of 3-4 DE's = NO WAY we make that move.

jidar
12-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Right. Lets drop to a defense that minimizes our DEs and emphasizes the strengths of one of our worst LBs

How about not.

trndobrd
12-26-2006, 11:15 AM
I know we need better DTs but I just don't get why people keep pounding on Reed & Edwards.

Yes we will need better but IMO, they are a lot of other guys who need to go before them.

Kendrell Bell has had 1 real good game that I can remember. To bad it was just against the sorriest team in football. (Raiders)
Kyle Turley.

Reed and Edwards are OK, but not great. They need to be part of a DT rotation that includes equal or better talent. Right now, when Reed or Edwards rotates out, who do we have? cRyan Sims?

KC Jones
12-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Our best front 7 players are a 4-3 OLB and 2 4-3 DEs. The last thing the Chiefs should do is blow it up for a 3-4.

Agreed, and while Kawika is a serviceable undersized MLB in the 4-3, he will become a liability as an ILB in a 3-4.

However, I'm all for getting a wide body plugger type for our 4-3.

bringbackmarty
12-26-2006, 11:43 AM

Kyle Turley.

Ty Law isn't worth 30 mil, but he is an improvement over what we hd before. he may notcome up with picks, but he isnt getting picked on.

Kendrell is not an olb, agree with you there, cut him.

Black will be okay as LT, he is improving, we need at least one more tackle without cutting him, so unless some monster falls to us, we pick updavis in FA, or big willie decides to come back, we shouldn't cut him.

Turley has said that his is his last year, so he is gone no matter what.

If Green, Shields, and Turley all retire, and priest comes back, here are the pos. I would like us to address in order of need.

DT (both pos.)
OT
QB
WR
CB
S
MLB

IF If green stays, then get more ol help, or a RB.

Hydrae
12-26-2006, 12:40 PM
I understand the concerns with Hali and Allen. I may be missing something here though because I don't understand why they would not be workable in a 3-4. Someone with more knowledge on this please explain this to me.

Meanwhile, I was looking at improving the play of one of our (probably) more expensive defensive players in Bell and putting him in a position of strength while also recognizing that we have a lot of holes on this team and getting 2 DTs has to be more expensive than getting 1. We could actually pay a little more for the one and get someone capable rather than just getting another Chester to plug in and be ineffective.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-26-2006, 12:44 PM
Hali and Allen suck. Hicks will be starting next year and we'll finally get Bartee back.

suds79
12-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Ty Law isn't worth 30 mil, but he is an improvement over what we hd before. he may notcome up with picks, but he isnt getting picked on.

Kendrell is not an olb, agree with you there, cut him.

Black will be okay as LT, he is improving, we need at least one more tackle without cutting him, so unless some monster falls to us, we pick updavis in FA, or big willie decides to come back, we shouldn't cut him.

Turley has said that his is his last year, so he is gone no matter what.

If Green, Shields, and Turley all retire, and priest comes back, here are the pos. I would like us to address in order of need.

DT (both pos.)
OT
QB
WR
CB
S
MLB

IF If green stays, then get more ol help, or a RB.

I can see your point. I just feel that as long as Jordan Black is our starting LT (the most important O-line position), we'll never have a top notch offense again.

The guy just can't pass block.

Rain Man
12-26-2006, 01:11 PM
I actually have to defend Black here. While I wasn't concentrating on him, I feel that his pass protection has improved dramatically in the past eight weeks.

The line's run blocking has become more of a concern to me.

Redrum_69
12-26-2006, 01:13 PM
I actually have to defend Black here. While I wasn't concentrating on him, I feel that his pass protection has improved dramatically in the past eight weeks.

The line's run blocking has become more of a concern to me.

Oh great...I foresee a story on WPI saying how Black was abandoned by his parents and was raised by a pack of howler monkeys...

el borracho
12-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Changing to a 3-4 defense would have made more sense last year. We could have moved Allen to inside linebacker next to Bell, used Wilkerson and Hicks as ends and drafted a DT with our first pick. We also may have been able to trade some of our promising linebackers (Mitchell). Now that we have two functional 4-3 ends (Allen and Hali) and Mitchell is a free-agent, it makes no sense.

cdcox
12-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Since our D-Tackles suck so badly we should go out during the off season and get ourselves a big wide-body type of DT and go to the 3-4. This will free up Bell to do what he did in Pittsburgh and allow Fox to start on the outside. We have some decent strength at LBer and I have been wanting to see us go to the 3-4 for a couple of years. The problem has always been the lack of someone to play Nosetackle. Well, I don't see that we have any decent DTs on the roster currently anyway so now would be a good time to make the change.

Even if the 3-4 didn't have the problems that others have mentioned about Hali and Allen not being suited for a 3-4, this plan makes no sense.

You get rid of two mediocre DTs in order to keep one bad LB on the field and put another mediocre LB on the field?

We've made progress with the 4-3. We need to replace at least two of the following 3: Edwards, Reed, and Bell with strong players. You would then have a real core to build on. I wouldn't mind replacing Mitchell either, but he's further down on the priority list.

Rain Man
12-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Oh great...I foresee a story on WPI saying how Black was abandoned by his parents and was raised by a pack of howler monkeys...

I was raised by howler monkeys, and I resent the implication that they are somehow inferior parents. Sure, the house was loud sometimes, but so are a lot of Italian households.

Hydrae
12-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Even if the 3-4 didn't have the problems that others have mentioned about Hali and Allen not being suited for a 3-4, this plan makes no sense.

You get rid of two mediocre DTs in order to keep one bad LB on the field and put another mediocre LB on the field?

We've made progress with the 4-3. We need to replace at least two of the following 3: Edwards, Reed, and Bell with strong players. You would then have a real core to build on. I wouldn't mind replacing Mitchell either, but he's further down on the priority list.

Part of my thinking is that with a change like this, Bell would no longer be a liability but an asset. Out of your 2 to replace, we only would need to bring in one to replace the two DTs and Bell would not need replaced at all. And I could be wrong but I believe this would leave Fox doing more coverage which is more to his strengths as well.

Otherwise, we would certainly need to bring in 2-3 bodies just on the defensive side of the ball which limits what we can do to help the o-line, WR, Qb issues we are looking at next year.

I am still not getting any answer to why Hali and Allen would suddenly become non-factors in a 3-4.

Ebolapox
12-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Part of my thinking is that with a change like this, Bell would no longer be a liability but an asset. Out of your 2 to replace, we only would need to bring in one to replace the two DTs and Bell would not need replaced at all. And I could be wrong but I believe this would leave Fox doing more coverage which is more to his strengths as well.

Otherwise, we would certainly need to bring in 2-3 bodies just on the defensive side of the ball which limits what we can do to help the o-line, WR, Qb issues we are looking at next year.

I am still not getting any answer to why Hali and Allen would suddenly become non-factors in a 3-4.

I'm not sure they'd be complete NONFACTORS

but they'd likely be pass-rushing OLBs in the 3-4... neither of them is big enough/good enough against the run to be 3-4 DEs... sadly enough, hicks and wilkerson are as close as we get to 3-4 DEs

Eric
12-26-2006, 03:12 PM
I am no expert but I think it's a myth to believe a good dtackle has to be huge.

We need one that quick enough to disrupt and push a pocket and play the run.

Quickness.

I hope we take 2 Dtackles. Giants found a good one in lower rounds.

Tribal Warfare
12-26-2006, 03:20 PM
unfortuntely KC's problems are so defuse that we won't be able to solve all the problems with the OL,DL,WR,LBs ect. This is the grand ole thanks to King Carl too

Archie Bunker
12-26-2006, 03:20 PM
I think Reed, Edwards, and Wilkerson are good enough rotation guys to keep around. If the Chiefs can find 1 DT that can be a difference maker in the draft or FA then I think the line will be fine.

Easy 6
12-26-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm not sure they'd be complete NONFACTORS

but they'd likely be pass-rushing OLBs in the 3-4... neither of them is big enough/good enough against the run to be 3-4 DEs... sadly enough, hicks and wilkerson are as close as we get to 3-4 DEs

Considering the fact that stopping the run is the one strength this D has, i would say that both Allen & Hali are VERY good against the run.

Jared in particular has improved dramatically in that area, to the point where its probably on par with his pass rush skill & Hali has done a fine job as well, he made several great tackles in the last game alone.

I do agree that in a 3-4 they would best be suited as backers though.

The 3-4 is a non-starter for KC.

htismaqe
12-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Can we please stop talking about the 3-4 already?

Hydrae
12-26-2006, 04:18 PM

Sorry :sulk:

Redrum_69
12-26-2006, 04:21 PM

The 2007 Chiefs first 7 games?