PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Get a Out-of-Warranty Car Repair Covered?

Skyy God
12-26-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm in the process of preparing to sell my car ('00 Accord EX V6 Coupe, 93K if anyone in Springfield is interested) and had a few things checked out today. Other than a shot right rear wheel bearing, the only other problem is that the EGR port is seriously clogged. This apparently falls under a Service Bulletin and an 8 year/80,000 mile warranty. Which would have been good to know 8 months and 13K miles ago.

Under the bulletin, you have to request goodwill consideration from the zone office or District Service Manager. Any suggestions on how to approach this? Better to go through the zone office or manager?

Bugeater
12-26-2006, 01:54 PM
If it's a defect they may fix it and only charge you a "deductible" if it's out of warranty. That's what happened to me with some defective paint on a van I had a while back. Showing up at the zone office with torches and pitchforks may also be helpful, or you could even send them a bowl of antifreeze as well.

StcChief
12-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Call them up. Tell them another Honda may be in the future if they are willing to take care of this oversight.

Or that you never got the notice of the recall.

Chief Pote
12-26-2006, 02:02 PM
I have owned a number of Honda's over the years. You will need to call American Honda and make a claim for the cost of the repairs. 9 out of 10 times they will cover some portion of the repair. Make sure you have the work done at an authorized Honda Dealer. It will look even better if you bought the car new.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Theres a website out there you can visit.
www.Imtoocheaptopayformyownrepairs.com (http://www.Imtoocheaptopayformyownrepairs.com)

Skyy God
12-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Theres a website out there you can visit.
www.Imtoocheaptopayformyownrepairs.com (http://www.Imtoocheaptopayformyownrepairs.com)

I'll let the late, great Johnny Cash retort for me.

DeezNutz
12-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Grape Gatorade? :shrug:

Skyy God
12-26-2006, 04:01 PM
I have owned a number of Honda's over the years. You will need to call American Honda and make a claim for the cost of the repairs. 9 out of 10 times they will cover some portion of the repair. Make sure you have the work done at an authorized Honda Dealer. It will look even better if you bought the car new.

I bought my first Honda, a '95 Civic, new. Sadly, this was purchased used. Perhaps the fact that I've owned Hondas for 85% of my driving career will help.

Radar Chief
12-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Ever consider do’n it yourself? I realize this’ll include get’n a little dirt under your fingernails (gasp :eek: ), but thought I’d drop it as an option. ;)

Skyy God
12-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Ever consider do’n it yourself? I realize this’ll include get’n a little dirt under your fingernails (gasp :eek: ), but thought I’d drop it as an option. ;)

Here's the first step (of 24) in the repair.

1. Remove the throttle body cover, intake manifold covers, ignition wire holder, and ignition wire cover.

I guarantee I'd either spend a crazy amount of time getting the above off or not be able to get it back on. I've wiffed on replacing a fuel filter before. I'm simply not cut out for car repair. Would if I could.

I also don't have a PGM tester (whatever that is) or know how to torque bolts.

Radar Chief
12-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Here's the first step (of 24) in the repair.

1. Remove the throttle body cover, intake manifold covers, ignition wire holder, and ignition wire cover.

I guarantee I'd either spend a crazy amount of time getting the above off or not be able to get it back on. I've wiffed on replacing a fuel filter before. I'm simply not cut out for car repair. Would if I could.

I also don't have a PGM tester (whatever that is) or know how to torque bolts.

:LOL: I know, I was just poke’n a little fun at’cha. :Poke:

Though if you were interested it’s really not that hard, a lot of people let themselves be intimidated by mechanical stuff.
Anyway, good luck with it. ;)

Skyy God
12-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Grape Gatorade? :shrug:

Is this making its way into the lexicon as a synonym for being drunk?

PinkFloyd
12-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Gasoline/Matchstick

DeezNutz
12-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Is this making its way into the lexicon as a synonym for being drunk?

See the following thread: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=146947

It's the Mooooo rant by Luv. Cheers.

HonestChieffan
12-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Sissyboy drives a Honda and expects respect?

Bob Dole
12-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Take it to the dealership where you've hd all your regular maintenance performed and they'll probably do it for free.

They probably should have done it when you had the scheduled timing belt replacement at 60k.

Skyy God
12-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Take it to the dealership where you've hd all your regular maintenance performed and they'll probably do it for free.

They probably should have done it when you had the scheduled timing belt replacement at 60k.

Two problems with that. First, the timing belt change is at 105K, not 60. Second, Service Bulletins aren't like Recalls, where they generally replace a part whether it fails or not. It actually has to fail or, in this case, the service code has to pop up.

Skyy God
12-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Sissyboy drives a Honda and expects respect?

Jake, is that you? GM'll get em next year. Their new models will sell like hotcakes sprinkled with crack!

Bob Dole
12-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Two problems with that. First, the timing belt change is at 105K, not 60. Second, Service Bulletins aren't like Recalls, where they generally replace a part whether it fails or not. It actually has to fail or, in this case, the service code has to pop up.

Wasn't sure of the interval on the sixers.

And if you build a relationship with your sevice department, you'd be amazed at what will get replaced under warranty.