PDA

View Full Version : Movie Titles: An Exercise in What's Right

CosmicPal
12-26-2006, 11:21 PM
We watched Pursuit of Happyness this afternoon. Good movie. Inspiring and touching.

One question though: At the beginning of the film, the film indicated it was INSPIRED by a true story.

That's nothing new. But, what I want to know is this- what's the difference between INSPIRED by a true story and BASED upon a true story?

Both are vague. Is it a matter of preference? Or is there a definitive difference between the two? Anyone know? Or care to elaborate?

cdcox
12-26-2006, 11:24 PM
"Based" carries a stronger connection than "Inspired", IMHO.

noa
12-26-2006, 11:24 PM
I think being inspired by a true story gives you more creative license than being based on a true story.

Deberg_1990
12-26-2006, 11:25 PM
Inspired to me means they took a hell of alot of liberties with the facts. For dramatic purposes or manipulation.

CosmicPal
12-26-2006, 11:33 PM
I think being inspired by a true story gives you more creative license than being based on a true story.

I agree. However, the Pursuit of Happyness is based on the best-selling true life memoir of Chris Gardner. (I think that's the correct name).

So, if the movie is based off the book- then why didn't they say BASED on a true story?

Since they said, Inspired by a true story, does this mean they altered a great deal from the book to the movie?

12-26-2006, 11:47 PM
None of it really ever happened.

Halfcan
12-27-2006, 12:22 AM
I like how every book is a "Best-seller"

12-27-2006, 12:25 AM
I like how every book is a "Best-seller"
Every book is a best seller....

for that particular book.

the Talking Can
12-27-2006, 12:34 AM
it'a a matter of royalties

BIG_DADDY
12-27-2006, 01:28 AM
Watched it tonight as well. There are some things that are definately a reach in that story. I'll tell you though after being in taht field for awhile it really is very hard to make it in that business at any real level. IF I had known it was gong to be this hard I would have done something else. The next couple years should everything not blow up it will finally start becoming worth it. Even he sold out to have his liquidity event. Bet you he still isn't in the business either.

luv
12-27-2006, 01:35 AM
I agree. However, the Pursuit of Happyness is based on the best-selling true life memoir of Chris Gardner. (I think that's the correct name).

So, if the movie is based off the book- then why didn't they say BASED on a true story?

Since they said, Inspired by a true story, does this mean they altered a great deal from the book to the movie?
Did the character's name change from the book to the movie? To me if something is based on a true story, then the characters are the same. Actors even study the person they are representing to better mimmick they're actions/habits. If is is inspired by a true story, then the plot in similar, but they have changed names and the actors have more freedom in developing the character however they interpret them.

BIG_DADDY
12-27-2006, 01:44 AM
There were several things that were not accurate.

1. Brokerages don't give their own series 7 exams.
2. Nobody ever asks you to give them a call so they can discuss giving you money. At least not anybody that has real money.
3. He could never bring his kid to day care and pick him up before 5. You are in at 6:30 AM on the West coast and you wouldn't leave until 6 PM or later especially back then being an intern.
4. You don't close accounts as an intern it's illegal.

The most realistic part was the tickets in SF, it's absolutely horrible.

CosmicPal
12-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Did the character's name change from the book to the movie? To me if something is based on a true story, then the characters are the same.

The movie was based on the real life experiences of Chris Gardner. The names of the protagonist and his son did not change. So, if what you are saying is true, then the movie should have said, "Based on a true story."

If is is inspired by a true story, then the plot in similar, but they have changed names and the actors have more freedom in developing the character however they interpret them.

The names were not altered. I'm sure events and circumstances were altered because not all true-life films are entirely true. Which makes this all the more confusing. I honestly believe that "based" and "inspired" mean the same thing- it's just a matter of how the film's producers wish to entitle it.

crazycoffey
12-27-2006, 10:54 AM

please do not do anything but post in every thread and on every page, because I do not think I will ever tire of watching DT come untouched of the end and smack the Denver QB (is that steve burlein, or however you spell it?)

dirk digler
12-27-2006, 10:54 AM
I watched the movie last weekend and I was really disappointed. It has be one of the most boring movies I have ever watched.

crazycoffey
12-27-2006, 10:55 AM

wait, is that DJ sacking plummer?

oaklandhater
12-27-2006, 10:57 AM
There were several things that were not accurate.

1. Brokerages don't give their own series 7 exams.
2. Nobody ever asks you to give them a call so they can discuss giving you money. At least not anybody that has real money.
3. He could never bring his kid to day care and pick him up before 5. You are in at 6:30 AM on the West coast and you wouldn't leave until 6 PM or later especially back then being an intern.
4. You don't close accounts as an intern it's illegal.

The most realistic part was the tickets in SF, it's absolutely horrible.

You Forgot to put he was geting paid for his internship about 1000 a month.

Redrum_69
12-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Based on a true story....actually happened

inspired...you read about it and get inspired to do something similar. Geroge Lucas was inspired to write Star Wars after watching some Kurosawa flicks...

example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_Kurosawa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars

" George Lucas himself has cited some quite surprising inspirations for his films, for example the novel Watership Down. Lucas acknowledges that the plot and characters in the 1958 Japanese film The Hidden Fortress, directed by Akira Kurosawa, were a major inspiration. Lucas has said in an interview, which is included on the DVD edition of The Hidden Fortress, that the film influenced him to tell the story of Star Wars from the viewpoint of the humble droids, rather than a major player. It also played a role in the conception of Darth Vader, whose trademark black helmet intentionally resembles the black kabuto of the arch-villain in Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. The Jedi, nearly extinct futuristic knights of the former Republic, also have a high influence from the samurai as spiritual warriors and duelists with a strong sense of honor and devotion to their duty. Their traditional clothing even resembles kimonos."

If you havent seen the Seven Samurai.....then I highly suggest going out and BUYING the DVD

BIG_DADDY
12-28-2006, 01:12 PM
You Forgot to put he was geting paid for his internship about 1000 a month.

True dat. :thumb: