PDA

View Full Version : The future of KC. (my crystal ball)

booger
12-27-2006, 03:42 AM
There are too many unkowns for me when wondering the truth behind the Clark Hunt/carl Peterson working relationship. I've heard Clark can't stand him and also the argument that he did negotiate carls new contract. I don't put alot into the contract thing. Lamar wanted carl around until at least his death. He couldn't have carl signed and his contract voided as soon as he dies. I would assume his advice to Clark these past 2 years has been to give it a chance and see how they work together. The safe way for clark starting off would be to keep carl i assume that is lamars thinking anyway.

I think there are plenty of things Lamar insisted or felt very strong about. I don't think having someone running the show he doesn't like and not suggesting he get his own people if he so wishes was something he was adament about. Basically, Carl is signed if you want him, if you don't you will have to ask him to resign and eat 3 yrs salary.

I've thought about the idea of letting cp be just CEO or pres. I don't see anyone wanting to come in and work as GM while CP is still here. He would still have to be in the limelight and that's a tough spot for people to be in.

IMO, I would like the following to happen:

After asking for CP's resignation, Promote Denny Thum to team president or CEO. Make him in charge of day to day business operations and managment in all areas of the orginization except GM personell descisions.

Why? I know many think Thum is one of CP's boys. The one major difference between Thum comparred to Kuharich, Lynn Stiles, or even former Personel director Terry Bradway is that Thum is a business man first. CP was a coach with DV at UCLA as was Stiles until DV brought Carl to Philly and told him he was more suited for the personell side. Stiles joined Walsh's staff in SF and joined CP in KC when he was brought in to be a personell guy. Bradway started out in scouting if i am correct.

Thum has been with the orginazation 33 years starting off as a staff accountant working his way to assistant to the GM in '84 and assistant GM in 89 when carl came in. Let him do what he does best, manage the business side of things. Most importantly make KC more media and fan friendly. Change the image of the Bob Moores of the PR department ( can his ass ) and get rid of Styles as well. He is only still employed because of CP. Changing to a more positive image would do wonders to ticket sales,etc.

Name Bill Kuharich Interim GM. Why? He and CP have the old USFL connection which is probably a major reason he came to KC. Clark and Thum should interview GM/Personell candidates from the end of the season until after the draft, if it takes that long to find the right fit, assuming it's not Kuharich. The one thing that is a big possitive IMO is that Herm and Kuharich work well together on the draft, getting younger, and the type of players we are looking for, which is very important for a good GM and coach relationship.

Herm is under contract for 3 more years. He deserves at least one more IMO. I like his '06 draft and his plan to get younger and how he took a back seat to FA with the exception of law. He even looked at guys like Reed and Edwards that came in for 1 yr minimum contracts and that worked out well for what we paid for them. Herms assistants only signed 2 yr deals when he was hired. He would assume the descision on hiring and firings within the staff which almost all coaches do.

I am like the rest, ready for a shakeup even if it is very unlikely.

I just think that Thum could be an asset like he has been while we would look for the right guy to be the GM.

booger
12-27-2006, 03:59 AM
Just a note on any potential coaching changes to the staff. If herm wants a new DC to replace Gun, (possible IMO ) Keep any eye on Joe Barry the LB coach of the Bucs. He joined TB just as Herm was hired to coach the NYJ. But he knows the tampa 2 and actually was offered and badly wanted by Rod Marineli to be his DC with Detroit. He had only this season left on his contract so Gruden blocked the move after losing Marineli, Mike tomlin and another defensive assistant to minnesota that followed tomlin.

The lions hired Donnie Henderson as DC. Who knows what happens to that mess with the lions but marinelli might let Henderson go if he can get Joe Barry, who happens to be his son in law. Either way Barry was extremely pissed and planned to move on after this season.

KC-TBB
12-27-2006, 08:05 AM
can you see the playoffs in that crystal ball?
I say use the force young padawan...

booger
12-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Future is blurry. Need Mitch Holthus and some papa johns

Redrum_69
12-27-2006, 09:27 AM
REPOST

Besides, you need to check out your moms magic eight ball

FloridaMan88
12-27-2006, 12:46 PM
I see Mike Martz and Al Saunders in my future of KC crystal ball

RealSNR
12-27-2006, 06:56 PM
The entire history of the Chiefs after 1970 can be summed up in this phrase:

"We're working on it."

"Jack Steadman sucks. Can we find a replacement?"
"We're working on it."

"This defense is great, but these RBs suck. Can we find a feature back?"
"We're working on it."

"This 1995 team is great, but we really need a new kicker. He could cost us points in the playoffs."
"We're working on it."

"This defense sucks"
"We're working on it"

"How about a Super Bowl win?"
"We're working on it"

"How about at least a playoff win?"
"We're working on it"

"Damn it. Can we win a ROAD game?"
"We're working on it"

In my opinion, there's no reason to believe that this will not be the continuation of Chiefs history. So this is what the future holds:

"We're working on it"

PinkFloyd
12-27-2006, 07:11 PM
The entire history of the Chiefs after 1970 can be summed up in this phrase:

"We're working on it."

"Jack Steadman sucks. Can we find a replacement?"
"We're working on it."

"This defense is great, but these RBs suck. Can we find a feature back?"
"We're working on it."

"This 1995 team is great, but we really need a new kicker. He could cost us points in the playoffs."
"We're working on it."

"This defense sucks"
"We're working on it"

"How about a Super Bowl win?"
"We're working on it"

"How about at least a playoff win?"
"We're working on it"

"Damn it. Can we win a ROAD game?"
"We're working on it"

In my opinion, there's no reason to believe that this will not be the continuation of Chiefs history. So this is what the future holds:

"We're working on it"

END OF THREAD !!!! :clap:

Calcountry
12-27-2006, 08:32 PM
can you see the playoffs in that crystal ball?
I say use the force young padawan...ROFLROFL

BucEyedPea
12-27-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm lookin' in my crystal ball....*shakes head*...I feel for Chiefs fans, so lng as Herm is here. :shake:

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2397/newyearavymy7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Priest4Prez
12-27-2006, 08:48 PM
A box of tissues.

milkman
12-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Your crystal ball sucks.

Any plans that include Carl Peterson, Denny Thum and Bill Kuharich are flawed, mediocre plans.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Your crystal ball sucks.

Any plans that include Carl Peterson, Denny Thum and Bill Kuharich are flawed, mediocre plans.

Agreed. We need a thorough house cleaning.

Halfcan
12-28-2006, 12:19 AM
Carl has sucked long enough- time to put out a bowl of antifreeze.

Deberg_1990
12-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Your crystal ball sucks.

Exactly. Clack comes in after the season with his big broom and sweeps these clowns out the door.

He then throws mad money at Ron Wolf to come in and run the show.

RedThat
12-28-2006, 01:48 AM
Agreed. We need a thorough house cleaning.

I agree as well. This team needs a new direction. And that would involve a new FO. They gotta clean house there. but the questions that linger in my mind, is, will Clark do it?

Is Clark passionate about football where he will want to build a competitive team?

Or, will he follow his fathers footsteps and keep this team in a constant state of mediocrity? Just to keep the fans interested where he can sellout every game and make profit. And just use football as a business rather than a passion.

MahiMike
12-28-2006, 07:52 AM
You want to hear something funny? In Jacksonville they're already calling for the head of their GM - Shaq Harris. After 5 years.

Lamar had too many interests. He went for comfortable over production. We can only hope a younger man will have more drive than the older owner.

But for me, you have to rid this team of every person in the front office. An entirely new regime is needed and is the only way you can be sure of cutting the cord of mediocrity. A new GM will be more apt to sign on here if he can bring his own people.

There are tons of talented guys out there ready to make a chance. We can give them an incentive-laden contract like the players; Win X number of games and earn X amount of money.

I'd go for Charlie Casserly or the ex-GM of the Jags. Hell I'd even go for Bill Parcells or Charlie Brown over this regime.

Anything but the same 'ol, same 'ol is good with me.

Mecca
12-28-2006, 08:33 AM
You want to hear something funny? In Jacksonville they're already calling for the head of their GM - Shaq Harris. After 5 years.

Lamar had too many interests. He went for comfortable over production. We can only hope a younger man will have more drive than the older owner.

But for me, you have to rid this team of every person in the front office. An entirely new regime is needed and is the only way you can be sure of cutting the cord of mediocrity. A new GM will be more apt to sign on here if he can bring his own people.

There are tons of talented guys out there ready to make a chance. We can give them an incentive-laden contract like the players; Win X number of games and earn X amount of money.

I'd go for Charlie Casserly or the ex-GM of the Jags. Hell I'd even go for Bill Parcells or Charlie Brown over this regime.

Anything but the same 'ol, same 'ol is good with me.

Charlie Casserly is an incompetent boob.......you could do a better job than him.

Easy 6
12-28-2006, 08:41 AM
Casserly???

Charlie F'N Casserly???

:hmmm: ... ROFL ... :doh!: ... :shake:

Chiefnj
12-28-2006, 08:42 AM
The state of the Chiefs:

Peterson puts fans in the seats which generates money. The Chiefs are competitive each year which keeps the fans satisfied. The end result is Peterson stays until his contract expires and the Chiefs remain stuck in mediocrity.

Chief fans are the problem. They are eternally optimistic. They put up with the current state of affairs. They are dumber than Lion fans. At least the Lion fans attempt to show their displeasure with Millen.

InChiefsHeaven
12-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Yeah. How come after 18 years, the Chiefs fans aren't hugely vocal about King Carl? How come they don't wear Dammit Carl t-shirts and have signs up at the Tailgate parties at Arrowhead? Are we on this board the only ones who seem to have a beef with Carl?

RealSNR
12-28-2006, 02:46 PM

Anything but the same 'ol, same 'ol is good with me.I hear Matt Millen is available...

Priest4Prez
12-28-2006, 02:50 PM
I hear Matt Millen is available...

Yeah, that way we won't have to put up with this wild card crap every year. It is nice to know your team is done in october.

Deberg_1990
12-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Yeah. How come after 18 years, the Chiefs fans aren't hugely vocal about King Carl? How come they don't wear Dammit Carl t-shirts and have signs up at the Tailgate parties at Arrowhead? Are we on this board the only ones who seem to have a beef with Carl?

No, everyone talks a big game, but end the end they always end up renewing the season tickets anways.

I know at least 2 of my friends with season tix that hate Carl with all their fiber and always say at the end of the year "This is the last straw"

Yet they always renew.........

Carl has all of us ball the balls and he knows it.

booger
12-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Like I said, there are to many unknowns. No one seems to understand whether or not CP and Clark are on the same page or not. I assume Lamar strongly urged CP's contract extension. I also assume if Clark doesn't want CP around, eating his remaining 3 years of salary is not a big deal. I think that Steadman is around yet to make sure all goes well with the stadium upgrades which was the only thing Lamar asked of him before his death.

So we don't know what kind of owner Clark will be, hands on or off.

Assume he wants a more attive role and wants Carl gone. I big coup would be to land Scott Peoli and give him all the titles he wants, ala king carl. Peoli has always seemed happy in NE and a big rumor is the Giants taking a hard run at him to replace the retired Ernie Accorsi.

So if Clark wants Carl gone a safer way to go through the transition is having himself and Thum to take the rains with Thum taking over day to day business operations while giving Kuharich ( who I don't want long term ) the INTERIM GM while they take January and February to look at prospects. After that it will be hard to get someone in place because of the draft and the time they put into it. Not many moves can be made FO wise until after the draft in most cases, that just seems to be the history of it.

The only thing I like about Kuharich is he and Edwards put together a good draft class and did well in the bottom level FA approach we took. Edwards desision making and game day coaching makes people want to strangle him but I believe he has the right Idea in getting younger even drafting a QB that has a good chance to develop and he Deserves at least 1 more yr.

Along with getting rid of CP get Lynn Stiles and Bob Moore out of the picture as well. Stiles has a job here only because of CP. His past jobs he has always either followed CP or DV around to get jobs.

Bob Moore is an ass and the whole PR department needs a facelift. becoming more fan and media friendly would only help matters. Get rid of all or most of those jackass writers on the team website and upgrade the damn thing while they are at it.

Might not be ideal but a stopgap fix that I think co help until they get the right man for the job which might take longer than expected. It's not as easy as going out and taking 3-4 weeks to get a new head coach.

JMO

Deberg_1990
12-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Like I said, there are to many unknowns. No one seems to understand whether or not CP and Clark are on the same page or not. I assume Lamar strongly urged CP's contract extension. I also assume if Clark doesn't want CP around, eating his remaining 3 years of salary is not a big deal. I think that Steadman is around yet to make sure all goes well with the stadium upgrades which was the only thing Lamar asked of him before his death.

So we don't know what kind of owner Clark will be, hands on or off.

Assume he wants a more attive role and wants Carl gone. I big coup would be to land Scott Peoli and give him all the titles he wants, ala king carl. Peoli has always seemed happy in NE and a big rumor is the Giants taking a hard run at him to replace the retired Ernie Accorsi.

So if Clark wants Carl gone a safer way to go through the transition is having himself and Thum to take the rains with Thum taking over day to day business operations while giving Kuharich ( who I don't want long term ) the INTERIM GM while they take January and February to look at prospects. After that it will be hard to get someone in place because of the draft and the time they put into it. Not many moves can be made FO wise until after the draft in most cases, that just seems to be the history of it.

The only thing I like about Kuharich is he and Edwards put together a good draft class and did well in the bottom level FA approach we took. Edwards desision making and game day coaching makes people want to strangle him but I believe he has the right Idea in getting younger even drafting a QB that has a good chance to develop and he Deserves at least 1 more yr.

Along with getting rid of CP get Lynn Stiles and Bob Moore out of the picture as well. Stiles has a job here only because of CP. His past jobs he has always either followed CP or DV around to get jobs.

Bob Moore is an ass and the whole PR department needs a facelift. becoming more fan and media friendly would only help matters. Get rid of all or most of those jackass writers on the team website and upgrade the damn thing while they are at it.

Might not be ideal but a stopgap fix that I think co help until they get the right man for the job which might take longer than expected. It's not as easy as going out and taking 3-4 weeks to get a new head coach.

JMO

Great post. Agree with everything. Id love for Clark to think outside the box and go out and hire someone "outside the family" like a Peoli or a Ron Wolf. Just let them come in a clean house. That would be sweet and really what this whole organization needs at this point. They have all become too complacent.

The great unknown is: Does Clark feel the same way?? Or is he like his father??

booger
12-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Well we should have some sort of idea by next week sometime ( possibly a little longer ) when I would hope Clark would make an appearance at the end of the season presser with CP and Edwards. Clark will either have to back CP for the future or even the slightest hint of annomosity between the two could mean that changes are at least being thought of.

To me anyway, there would be no sense at all in waiting a year or two in keeping CP if Clark wants to eventually make a move anyway. If he wants to put his stamp on this team the timing couldn't be more right than after this season is over with.