PDA

View Full Version : Murdoch Sells Direct TV

12-28-2006, 01:31 PM
http://media.seekingalpha.com/article/23178

12-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Does Skip work for Dish Network or Direct TV??

Skip Towne
12-28-2006, 01:41 PM
Does Skip work for Dish Network or Direct TV??
I don't work for either one. I am a contractor to several Directv dealers. I won't do Dish Network.

12-28-2006, 01:43 PM
I don't work for either one. I am a contractor to several Directv dealers. I won't do Dish Network.
Gotchya..

Iowanian
12-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Why won't you do dish notwork skip?

Stewie
12-28-2006, 02:48 PM
With the recent court ruling allowing telecoms into the TV game there are going to be many more players. Murdoch is probably smart to get out.

Skip Towne
12-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Why won't you do dish notwork skip?
I don't like their equipment. They have 3 different systems and nothing from one (such as an LNB) will work on the others. Then they have those wonderful two receivers in one box setups (322). Plastic parts on the dish assembly that make them hard to work on. Needing to mount a second dish to get locals in some areas. That nightmare Super Dish of theirs. Confusing remote controls that it takes a rocket scientist to figure out. Just general junkiness. I could go on and on.

Iowanian
12-28-2006, 03:13 PM
I've had notwork since around June....they've been here twice to work on it already. The last time, replacing splitters and SOME of the cable that was run by the installer that was "too small".

I'd consider HD, but I"m not paying 2 frogs for equipment I'm not convinced they'll make work right.

Skip Towne
12-28-2006, 03:25 PM
I've had notwork since around June....they've been here twice to work on it already. The last time, replacing splitters and SOME of the cable that was run by the installer that was "too small".

I'd consider HD, but I"m not paying 2 frogs for equipment I'm not convinced they'll make work right.
Those splitters are probably signal combiners. Our system doesn't use them. It was built correctly the first time. The "too small" coax is probably RU-59. Cable companies used it during the 60's and 70's. It works fine with runs under 100'. I still see it on older houses. Herzig's brand new house was wired with it and it works for him. It doesn't sound like they knew what they were doing. Just replacing one thing then another hoping to stumble upon the problem instead of figuring out what it is. I didn't coin the term "Dish Notwork". They earned it in the industry. But now D*'s HD DVR is a piece of shit. I blame that on Rupert and his desire to save money. I'm glad he's gone.

KC-TBB
12-28-2006, 03:38 PM
skip, I have dish, wanting to switch to direct...I have an older 'hd ready' tv...is it worth going with the hd package?

Skip Towne
12-28-2006, 03:48 PM
skip, I have dish, wanting to switch to direct...I have an older 'hd ready' tv...is it worth going with the hd package?
I don't get into the programming side much but I hink D* only has about 10 HD channels right now. They are gearing up to launch 2 more satellites dedicated to greatly increase HD programming. If you switch now, you will get the 5 lnb dish you will need after the expansion. So I see no reason not to switch now. I do a lot of installs for people who are switching.