PDA

View Full Version : Scouting the DT's for this year's draft

shaneo69
12-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Brandon Mebane of Cal, #52, playing tonight against Texas A&M in the Holiday Bowl. Has made All-Pac 10 the last couple years.

Give us a review if you happen to watch the game.

OnTheWarpath15
12-28-2006, 05:23 PM
I would hope we don't wait until the middle rounds to draft a DT.

Too many other good ones out there:

I'd love to see DeMarcus Tyler or Amobi Okoye in the middle next year....

CoMoChief
12-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Alan Branch - Michigan

Rain Man
12-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Heck, let's draft all of them and let them fight it out in training camp.

Mecca
12-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Alan Branch - Michigan

Yea where's our top 10 pick again?

jidar
12-28-2006, 05:35 PM

hell yeah. No holds barred in a steel cage.

crazycoffey
12-28-2006, 05:35 PM

So is Simms beyond salvation. last year he looked good at the start then hurt his foot. What if we just changed his contract to allow us to shove a hot poker up his butt if he doesn't make the pro-bowl

sorry I have just enough crown to think I make sense, yet not enough to make sure I don't post something stupid

Chief Roundup
12-28-2006, 06:05 PM
are we missing any picks or got any extras this year?

the Talking Can
12-28-2006, 06:06 PM
OSU up 24-14 over Alabama...they have a guy, #92...I think....made a great run stuffing tackle in the first half....having only seen him on one snap ever, I say he is already a safer pick than Sims....

hey, it's that or vodoo....

CoMoChief
12-28-2006, 06:08 PM

He won't go top 10.

Mecca
12-28-2006, 06:12 PM
When he's by far the best rated DT and there's a huge dropoff after him.........yea he's going top 10.

el borracho
12-28-2006, 06:21 PM
are we missing any picks or got any extras this year?
I believe we gave the J-E-T-S our 4th for Herm.

Extras? ROFL You are talking about the Chiefs, right?

Mr. Laz
12-28-2006, 06:23 PM
you said this about DE's last year

Rain Man
12-28-2006, 06:26 PM
So is Simms beyond salvation. last year he looked good at the start then hurt his foot. What if we just changed his contract to allow us to shove a hot poker up his butt if he doesn't make the pro-bowl

sorry I have just enough crown to think I make sense, yet not enough to make sure I don't post something stupid

I've seen flashes from him, but he's been around for about half of a good long NFL career and has never seen the field consistently, and he has been constantly injured. Things don't look too promising for a breakthrough year.

Bob Dole
12-28-2006, 06:30 PM

Bob Dole would hope we don't draft a DT at all.

Find a free agent or 3.

RedThat
12-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Bob Dole would hope we don't draft a DT at all.

Find a free agent or 3.

Who's out there in FA that can help us at the DT position? Would you happen to know?

Bob Dole
12-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Who's out there in FA that can help us at the DT position? Would you happen to know?

Not a clue. It's a knee-jerk reaction.

We've just sucked at drafting DTs.

Ebolapox
12-28-2006, 06:50 PM
all I know about DTs is that there's one dude (tribal warfare?) that's obsessed with amobi okoye... I think he wants to have okoye's baby (or was that an 8x12 autographed photo?)

Chief Roundup
12-28-2006, 06:54 PM
I believe Hollis Thomas and Robaire Smith are both FA

Mecca
12-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Personally......in this Cal game I'd be watching Daymeion Hughes.

shaneo69
12-28-2006, 07:40 PM

Too many other good ones out there:

I'd love to see DeMarcus Tyler or Amobi Okoye in the middle next year....

Pack's Tyler says outbursts over
Chip Alexander, Staff Writer

RALEIGH - N.C. State's DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler got spitting mad in the Wolfpack's game last month at Southern Mississippi.

The defensive tackle promises it will be the only time.

Ejected in the second half of the Southern Miss game after a spitting incident, Tyler was held out of the first quarter of the Pack's ACC opener the next week against Boston College by coach Chuck Amato. Tyler since has played with a fury, like a senior co-captain looking to make amends, saying he will better control his emotions.

"Tank has been more assertive as a leader since that incident," Amato said Monday. "He was embarrassed [by] what happened. He must have apologized to me two or three times, at least, because we always talk about, 'You embarrass the university, you embarrass your name.' He has rectified it to a certain degree."

Not only was Tyler made to sit out the first quarter of the BC game, but he also was not allowed to go out with the other team captains for the pregame coin toss. His absence was noticeable.

"It really hurt me more, [and] I was embarrassed for being kicked out of the game, being a captain ..." Tyler said Monday. "I apologized to my team, I apologized to Coach Amato. And they all know I'm a very emotional person on the field, so they understood my mistake and told me, 'Don't worry about it, pick your head up, and go out and play hard.' "

It's not Tyler's only problem this year. According to court records, he faces misdemeanor charges of assault on a Raleigh police officer and for being intoxicated and disruptive in a public place during an incident in July at a Raleigh nightspot.

Yeah, Tank seems like a winner.

As of 12/20, GBN Report had Okoye at #41, Tank at #46, and Mebane at #55 in their "Top 100" ranking. That will change as these guys get measured at the combine and practice in the Senior Bowl.

Bob Dole
12-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Shouldn't teams be wary of anyone named "Tank"?

Mr. Laz
12-28-2006, 08:26 PM
i would hope that under Herman Edwards we will do a beter job of drafting and training a DT.

Halfcan
12-28-2006, 08:34 PM
We just rid of a spitter-don't need another one.

Tribal Warfare
12-28-2006, 08:34 PM
all I know about DTs is that there's one dude (tribal warfare?) that's obsessed with amobi okoye... I think he wants to have okoye's baby (or was that an 8x12 autographed photo?)

Kinda like my prediction with DJ and Hali though if Jarrett is available at 19-25 spot then I'd pick that player. Their is also the Nigerian Niightmare term we could once again :rockon:

El Jefe
12-28-2006, 09:04 PM
CoMoChief, he will go top ten, Mecca is correct. They say he is the best in the draft, I am a huge Ohio State fan so I have watched a lot of Big Ten Football, Branch is gonna be good in the NFL. He is a massive man 6'6 335 (i think he is somewhere in the 330's), he works very well off of blocks and smothers the run, he will get a few sacks too. Amobi Okoye is sweet and we have a shot at him, he is very smart, athletic, and really strong, and he is only like 19 I think he graduated High School early, Louisville gave him a scholarship at age 15!

Ebolapox
12-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Kinda like my prediction with DJ and Hali though if Jarrett is available at 19-25 spot then I'd pick that player. Their is also the Nigerian Niightmare term we could once again :rockon:

dude, predicting DJ and hali is nothing to brag about... everyone and their blind grandmother knew we needed defense, and when DJ fell to us, a bald blind deaf circus midget could have predicted we'd pick DJ...

hali was, by far, the worst kept secret on planet earth

I'm not saying we shouldn't pick jarrett or okoye... but until the season is over, claiming we're going to pick ANYBODY is sheer idiocy

Tribal Warfare
12-28-2006, 10:06 PM
dude, predicting DJ and hali is nothing to brag about... everyone and their blind grandmother knew we needed defense, and when DJ fell to us, a bald blind deaf circus midget could have predicted we'd pick DJ...

I guess you weren't here during the uproar :D, and osterication I got for even suggesting that DJ would slip to us, or when I called Hali was going to slip during March.

Ebolapox
12-28-2006, 10:09 PM
I guess you weren't here during the uproar :D, and osterication I got for even suggesting that DJ would slip to us, or when I called Hali was going to slip during March.

oh, I was here... you weren't ostracized, it was just OBVIOUS to EVERYONE that if he fell to us, we'd draft him... and as far as hali, I don't recall anyone saying he'd go before we picked at 20

Tribal Warfare
12-28-2006, 10:11 PM
oh, I was here... you weren't ostracized, it was just OBVIOUS to EVERYONE that if he fell to us, we'd draft him... and as far as hali, I don't recall anyone saying he'd go before we picked at 20

Hell, after the Senior Bowl the big whigs had him going in the top 10 until the Pro Days.

The point is I called it before anyone would touch it

Tribal Warfare
12-28-2006, 10:11 PM

Yeah, and I called it

Mecca
12-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Actually by the time the draft rolled around most everyone considered that a reach, not him falling.

Ebolapox
heh heh... no chest pounding here

Ebolapox
two words... phillip... buchannan...

oh wait, you're not voyager, are you??

Brock
12-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Actually by the time the draft rolled around most everyone considered that a reach, not him falling.

Most everyone? Yeah, right. Among the dumbasses perhaps.

DeezNutz
12-28-2006, 10:14 PM
I believe we gave the J-E-T-S our 4th for Herm.

Extras? ROFL You are talking about the Chiefs, right?

Am I :bong: some good stuff, or wasn't the compensation for Hermie paid last year? I wish I were :bong:, though...

Mecca
12-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Most everyone? Yeah, right. Among the dumbasses perhaps.

You can go pull up virtually any draft service coverage from that day and it would have said "a bit of a reach".......he had become a player projected at the top of the 2nd by the time the draft rolled around.

Tribal Warfare
12-28-2006, 10:21 PM
two words... phillip... buchannan...

oh wait, you're not voyager, are you??

Hell No!!!!!!!!!
I was never on the Buchannan bandwagon

ChiefsCountry
12-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Hmm, I called the DJ, Colquitt, and Hali picks.

the Talking Can
12-28-2006, 10:32 PM
You can go pull up virtually any draft service coverage from that day and it would have said "a bit of a reach"....

hence the term "dumbasses"

Mecca
12-28-2006, 10:33 PM
hence the term "dumbasses"

Well over the years............the draft services have been a little more reliable than Carl has......

Brock
12-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Well over the years............the draft services have been a little more reliable than Carl has......

Well, IN THIS CASE, they look like dumbasses. They looked like dumbasses on the Derrick Johnson pick also.

RedThat
12-28-2006, 11:48 PM
I was recently looking at some of the DT's in this years draft.

Anyone ever heard of Quinn Pitcock? Is he any good. Where do the mock drafts have him projected to go?

Tribal Warfare
12-28-2006, 11:51 PM
I was recently looking at some of the DT's in this years draft.

Anyone ever heard of Quinn Pitcock? Is he any good. Where do the mock drafts have him projected to go?

average and lazy like Sims, and he's more of a NT in a 3-4 scheme

Halfcan
12-29-2006, 12:21 AM
pit cock yeah sounds like a winner

Eric
12-29-2006, 01:58 AM
We need a Tamba type that has a high motor.

None of the 'high potential' crap anymore.

SBK
12-29-2006, 03:32 AM
We just rid of a spitter-don't need another one.

Johnnie Morton?

RedandGold
12-29-2006, 08:44 AM
Johnnie Morton?

Wouldn't be him. Matt Millen said that he swallowed.

shaneo69
12-29-2006, 01:14 PM

Mebane kind of reminded me of Tamba in last night's game. On almost every play, I saw him hustling to the ball, which is what Herm preaches. However, I didn't really see him making any plays on his own. And I didn't really see a push up the middle when A&M dropped back to pass. But an article in one of Cal's gameday magazines had quotes from several of his teammates saying that his taking on double-teams allowed the other players to make the plays.

And Texas A&M only scored 10 points last night.

Mecca
12-29-2006, 01:18 PM

You have to have some premier talent guys somewhere......you can't be all hustle and low talent it will bite you against good teams.

Eric
12-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Mebane kind of reminded me of Tamba in last night's game. On almost every play, I saw him hustling to the ball, which is what Herm preaches. However, I didn't really see him making any plays on his own. And I didn't really see a push up the middle when A&M dropped back to pass. But an article in one of Cal's gameday magazines had quotes from several of his teammates saying that his taking on double-teams allowed the other players to make the plays.

And Texas A&M only scored 10 points last night.
thanks for the summary.

So he was double teamed ?

Fire Me Boy!
12-29-2006, 01:44 PM
Here's a list... 2007 DL free agents.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagentsDL.html

Dwight Freeney, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
Freeney originally signed for seven years in 2002, but having reached certain incentive levels in his contract has voided the final two seasons, making him a free agent at the end of this season. Freeney has posted double-digit sack totals in each of his four seasons coming into 2006, and has forced 23 fumbles in that time. He’s one of the top pass rushers around. He plays with an incredible motor, but he has been hampered by an injury this season, limiting him to just five tackles and no sacks. Yet, with some of the best speed at his position, many teams will be lining up for a shot at a player that can apply pressure on the quarterback quite often.

Jared Allen, RFA, Kansas City Chiefs
Perhaps the top defensive lineman that will see the market, Allen, has posted totals of 9 and 11 in the sack department in the two seasons prior to 2006, and he’s added 3 more this season. The Chiefs will do everything in their power to keep him, but teams on the outside looking in could see Allen as a free agent must. He’s young, plays with a big motor, and puts pressure on the quarterback often, evidenced by his 7 forced fumbles last season. Teams will line up for the type of player that Allen is, and being an RFA doesn’t change that much. Allen makes the list because of his talent, but it’s difficult to imagine that the Chiefs would allow him to slip away on the market. Expect the Chiefs to negotiate a contract extension or possibly use the franchise tag if Allen has another great season.

Vonnie Holliday, UFA, Miami Dolphins
He’s been an effective defensive tackle throughout his career, and when Holliday hits the market, his experience, talent, and size will make him a desirable option for teams that need defensive interior run support. Miami won’t want to lose him, as they have a collection of veteran players who could help make a Super Bowl push in the next few seasons, but Holliday can command a decent dollar amount if he seeks a new employer. Don’t be surprised to see the Dolphins re-sign him before free agency.

Terdell Sands UFA Oakland Raiders
The defensive tackle entered his fifth NFL season without much fanfare. He was stuck behind other players, and hadn’t been thought of as an impact player by most. However, the former Chattanooga player has shined when given the opportunity. One reason that Sands has been effective is his size. Standing 6’7” and weighing 335 pounds, Sands is enormous, and difficult to take out of a play. His height allows him to bat down passes if he cannot get penetration, and he has developed a decent awareness of where the ball is. In non-starter minutes, he’s still just two tackles away from his career season high, and he is earning more and more time each week. The Raider will be well-served to sign him to an extension, but Sands might look elsewhere if Oakland won’t guarantee him more playing time.

Justin Smith, UFA, Bengals
The Bengals 2001 first round pick, Smith has shown improvement over time and become a significant threat to the opposition’s quarterback. Smith has tallied 40.5 career sacks up to this point, and already has 6.5 in the current season, a pace that would make for a career best. Smith has also been a consistent tackler with more than 54 total tackles each season of his career. Smith is a big and quick pass-rusher, and he will command a good deal of attention on the market, and he should make a good deal of money.

Other Free Agent Defensive Lineman
Edward Jasper, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles
Chad Lavalais, RFA, Atlanta Falcons
Cory Redding, UFA, Detroit Lions
Hollis Thomas, UFA, New Orleans Saints
Robaire Smith, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Bryan Thomas, UFA, New York Jets
Michael Myers, UFA, Denver Broncos

Brock
12-29-2006, 01:45 PM
That's a weak market.

Halfcan
12-29-2006, 02:22 PM
That's a weak market.

Yep we better resign Allen.

milkman
12-29-2006, 08:17 PM
I haven't watched Tenn over the last couple years, but I'm interested to hear any thoughts on Justin Harrell.

My understanding is that he's a pretty good player who tried to play through a season ending injury earlier in the year.

Is he any good, and would he be a kid to look at in the upcoming draft?

What was the injury?

shaneo69
12-30-2006, 11:13 AM
I haven't watched Tenn over the last couple years, but I'm interested to hear any thoughts on Justin Harrell.

My understanding is that he's a pretty good player who tried to play through a season ending injury earlier in the year.

Is he any good, and would he be a kid to look at in the upcoming draft?

What was the injury?

He got hurt against Air Force early in the year, played the next weekend against Florida, then had season ending surgery to repair his torn biceps.

Was 2nd team All-Sec in 2005 when he had 7.5 sacks, and was the defensive MVP in the 2005 Cotton Bowl.

Due to the injury, he might drop to 2nd round. I'd take him in the 2nd. You don't see many DT's with 7.5 sacks in a season.

Bowser
12-30-2006, 11:23 AM
If we draft a defensive tackle in the first round this year, I'm going to pour a gallon of cat piss over Carl's car. We need the next Marcus McNeill, not another Ryan Sims.

milkman
12-30-2006, 11:24 AM
He got hurt against Air Force early in the year, played the next weekend against Florida, then had season ending surgery to repair his torn biceps.

Was 2nd team All-Sec in 2005 when he had 7.5 sacks, and was the defensive MVP in the 2005 Cotton Bowl.

Due to the injury, he might drop to 2nd round. I'd take him in the 2nd. You don't see many DT's with 7.5 sacks in a season.

So preseason projections had him as a probable 1st round pick?

RedThat
12-30-2006, 11:25 AM
That's a weak market.

Yep.

The Chiefs are better off drafting DL.

RedThat
12-30-2006, 11:26 AM
How about Terdell Sands?

Anybody know much about him? Might not be expensive...Could come at a decent bargain. Anybody watch him play this year?

Bowser
12-30-2006, 11:27 AM
How about Terdell Sands?

Anybody know much about him? Might not be expensive...Could come at a decent bargain. Anybody watch him play this year?

LMAO

We drafted this guy in the seventh round a few years back.

milkman
12-30-2006, 11:32 AM
If we draft a defensive tackle in the first round this year, I'm going to pour a gallon of cat piss over Carl's car. We need the next Marcus McNeill, not another Ryan Sims.

There won't be a DT that's worth the pick at the spot where we are likely to be picking, so that shouldn't be a concern.

However, if there were, the fact that we've failed with the Sims selection, who is the only first rounder in the crap we've taken in the draft at DT, should have no bearing on whether we should take a DT in the first again.