PDA

View Full Version : Chargers' Merriman: Headache or Headcase?

Kerberos
12-30-2006, 10:02 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2714413

Probably roid induced IMO!!!11!

SAN DIEGO -- Shawne Merriman usually delivers headaches. On Friday, he had one that kept him from practicing.

The Chargers' Pro Bowl outside linebacker skipped the workout as the team wraps up preparation for Sunday's game with the visiting Arizona Cardinals. Merriman felt a migraine headache coming on in the morning, so he elected not to practice.

"I get them pretty bad, but I only get them once in a blue moon," said Merriman, the NFL sack leader with 16. "When it happens I just go to a dark room and don't even try to do anything. You can't fight it, you just hope the medication works fast enough for you to feel better."

The Chargers (13-2) need to beat Arizona or have Baltimore lose to Buffalo in order to clinch home-field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs.

Merriman said he'll be fine for Sunday's game, adding that he has never had a migraine on a game day.

"Knock on wood," he said.

Merriman received a few knocks this week, with Miami's Jason Taylor and Denver's Champ Bailey questioning his viability to be chosen then NFL's defensive player of the year because of his four-game suspension for steroids use.

"I don't really pay attention to it too much," Merriman said. "I find it's just things that are going to be said regardless and you finish that out by playing. Let your play show before you say anything and let the rest of it go right past you and keep doing what I do best and that's it."

Merriman, nicknamed "Lights Out" for his punishing hits, said he sent Taylor a T-shirt and hat with his "Lights Out" logo. He also sent a bag of popcorn, "So he can watch us in the playoffs."

Also Friday, defensive ends Luis Castillo (ankle) and Derreck Robinson (foot), and linebacker Randall Godfrey (hamstring) didn't practice. All three will likely skip Sunday's game.

SLAG
12-30-2006, 10:43 AM
I really dont like him...

i think he should be fined because he was prolly on roids when he hit priest.. and that makes me angry

LTforMVP
12-30-2006, 12:49 PM
must be sad to be a chiefs fan if you think a charger player getting a headache is worth starting a topic about

Bowser
12-30-2006, 12:57 PM
must be sad to be a chiefs fan if you think a charger player getting a headache is worth starting a topic about

We're just worried that the roids are eating his brain. Nobody wants to die like that.

Kerberos
12-30-2006, 12:59 PM

What is SAD is the ROID freak gets a praised by getting a pro bowl bid and he is personally responisble for wrecking a career for Priest Holmes while I HAVE NO DOUBT he was roiding when it happened.

Then gets a mention on ESPN cause he has a headache. :shake: Little baby Merriman need an Asprin?

Chargers are trying like hell to become the new cheat'n ass team of the AFC West.

You do have hope cause your team has a LONG way to go to catch up to the Cheat'n ASS Donks!

the Talking Can
12-30-2006, 01:10 PM
Merriman, nicknamed "Lights Out" for his punishing hits, said he sent Taylor a T-shirt and hat with his "Lights Out" logo. He also sent a bag of popcorn, "So he can watch us in the playoffs."

funny....he got away with using steroids, he might as well rub it in everyones face

Mecca
12-30-2006, 01:13 PM
What is SAD is the ROID freak gets a praised by getting a pro bowl bid and he is personally responisble for wrecking a career for Priest Holmes while I HAVE NO DOUBT he was roiding when it happened.

Then gets a mention on ESPN cause he has a headache. :shake: Little baby Merriman need an Asprin?

Chargers are trying like hell to become the new cheat'n ass team of the AFC West.

You do have hope cause your team has a LONG way to go to catch up to the Cheat'n ASS Donks!

Priest was already in pretty rapid decline when this occured......

He get's praise because he's leading the league in sacks while playing less games, he's an impressive player.

Mecca
12-30-2006, 01:14 PM

funny....he got away with using steroids, he might as well rub it in everyones face

He got suspended so um how did he get away with it? Those are the guidelines for suspensions.....I like how people are acting like he's getting off easy for serving what the league has in place.

12-30-2006, 01:16 PM
He got suspended so um how did he get away with it? Those are the guidelines for suspensions.....I like how people are acting like he's getting off easy for serving what the league has in place.
Being suspended means he's guilty of cheating..Taylor(although I can not stand him)didn't cheat nor was he suspended this year..and Merriman might very well win Defensive player of the year award over him..do you think that's fair??

Mecca
12-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Being suspended means he's guilty of cheating..Taylor(although I can not stand him)didn't cheat nor was he suspended this year..and Merriman might very well win Defensive player of the year award over him..do you think that's fair??

I don't think either one of them is going to win it.......that's at writers descretion on if they want to vote for him or not. I just think it's weird do you think that ESPN should just dwell on the roids thing for months upon months?

Sure-Oz
12-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Great player with his roids but i hope he hurts himself

Skip Towne
12-30-2006, 01:19 PM
If Merriman was a Chief you guys would be creaming your jeans.

12-30-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't think either one of them is going to win it.......that's at writers descretion on if they want to vote for him or not. I just think it's weird do you think that ESPN should just dwell on the roids thing for months upon months?
ESPN is obsessed with certain individuals..Barry Bonds..T.O..Lebron James..Merriman is just another player to add to the list..ESPN is a joke.

the Talking Can
12-30-2006, 01:20 PM

so what?

steroids got him drafted high, paid well, and in the prowbowl....a 4 game suspension is absolutely meaningless....and his next contract will be even bigger....

Mecca
12-30-2006, 01:22 PM
so what?

steroids got him drafted high, paid well, and in the prowbowl....a 4 game suspension is absolutely meaningless....and his next contract will be even bigger....

.....Show me some proof he was doing roids in college.....this is about the same as the guy who said Vernon Davis is on roids because he went to Maryland too.

I personally think people are just pissed because the guy is one of the elite players and is in our division so any way to try to knock him down and want him out of the league.

the Talking Can
12-30-2006, 01:25 PM
.....Show me some proof he was doing roids in college.....this is about the same as the guy who said Vernon Davis is on roids because he went to Maryland too.

I personally think people are just pissed because the guy is one of the elite players and is in our division so any way to try to knock him down and want him out of the league.

he tested positive...and a 4 game suspension is meaningless....that's why he is laughing at everyone...using steroids paid off for him, it was smart....

Skip Towne
12-30-2006, 01:29 PM
he tested positive...and a 4 game suspension is meaningless....that's why he is laughing at everyone...using steroids paid off for him, it was smart....
Looks like it. He doesn't make the rules he just takes advantage of them.

the Talking Can
12-30-2006, 01:37 PM
I honestly don't give a shit if players use steroids.

Football isn't about one-on-one like Baseball.

But if the NFL wants to actually punish users, as opposed to just pretending, then they suspend players for an entire season - 16 games - at a minimum.

Skip Towne
12-30-2006, 01:39 PM
I honestly don't give a shit if players use steroids.

Football isn't about one-on-one like Baseball.

But if the NFL wants to actually punish users, as opposed to just pretending, then they suspend players for an entire season - 16 games - at a minimum.
Either that or go the other way and let them do whatever the hell they want.

Bowser
12-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Priest was already in pretty rapid decline when this occured......

This is an incredibly stupid satement. Decline? Probably not, but I guess it can be debatable. "Pretty rapid decline"? You're high.

Mecca
12-30-2006, 02:07 PM
This is an incredibly stupid satement. Decline? Probably not, but I guess it can be debatable. "Pretty rapid decline"? You're high.

You didn't watch much of the Priest Holmes that was playing last year eh......he wasn't the same player.

Bowser
12-30-2006, 02:11 PM
You didn't watch much of the Priest Holmes that was playing last year eh......he wasn't the same player.

What? What are you basing this on? Priest was splitting time with LJ, and didn't have the opportunity to horde all the stats to himself, like he had done in years prior. Remember Vermeil's genious 2 series to 1 formula for whomever had the hot hand?

Priest was doing just fine, right up until a bonked out Merriman shelved him.

XXXshogunXXX
12-30-2006, 02:13 PM
we like him ok..2 probowlers in his first 2 years....shhhhttt... your team could use some roids..

blueballs
12-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Merriman, Mecca's mouth
Mecca's mouth, Merriman

BigRock
12-30-2006, 02:21 PM
I like the way you say "any way to knock him down", as if pointing out that the guy, you know, DOES STEROIDS is just grasping at straws. "So he cheats, big deal!"

Needless to say, if he played for KC you'd be telling everyone what a fraud he is.

Yeah, that 35 yard TD run the week before he got injured was pretty lame. That might be impressive for an average back, but not Priest Holmes. The old Priest would have gone for 60. Not even on a run, either, anyone could do that with Roaf, Waters, and Shields opening holes.

The old Priest would have taken a little dump off screen pass and weaved his way through the defense for 60 yards and a TD, getting the last 10 or so by tiptoeing down the sideline, and... actually, you know what, Priest did exactly that 2 games before he got injured. Nevermind.

Bowser
12-30-2006, 02:22 PM
we like him ok..2 probowlers in his first 2 years....shhhhttt... your team could use some roids..

Shogun, props to you for being the one real Charger fan that has actually been here through the years. Could you please clean up the pissant posers rooting for your team this year just because they are having a "good" year?

Our team could use a rash of players under the age of 26, roids or no roids. They will certainly know who to ask for the juice in the offseason, though.

Skip Towne
12-30-2006, 02:36 PM
I like the way you say "any way to knock him down", as if pointing out that the guy, you know, DOES STEROIDS is just grasping at straws. "So he cheats, big deal!"

Needless to say, if he played for KC you'd be telling everyone what a fraud he is.

Yeah, that 35 yard TD run the week before he got injured was pretty lame. That might be impressive for an average back, but not Priest Holmes. The old Priest would have gone for 60. Not even on a run, either, anyone could do that with Roaf, Waters, and Shields opening holes.

The old Priest would have taken a little dump off screen pass and weaved his way through the defense for 60 yards and a TD, getting the last 10 or so by tiptoeing down the sideline, and... actually, you know what, Priest did exactly that 2 games before he got injured. Nevermind.
Priest never had a 60 yd TD run in his entire career. I think he only had one over 40 and it came late in his career.

Brock
12-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Priest never had a 60 yd TD run in his entire career. I think he only had one over 40 and it came late in his career.

How sure are you about that?

Bowser
12-30-2006, 02:39 PM

Hmmm. That could be worth researching. BigRock is right about the 60 yard TD just before he got hurt, though. It was a screen pass against the Dolphins where he zigged clear across the field and left everybody behind.

OnTheWarpath15
12-30-2006, 02:42 PM

Career long: 72, with 99 Ravens

Chiefs long: 56, in 2002.

No 40+ yard runs 2003 to the present......

Skip Towne
12-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Career long: 72, with 99 Ravens

Chiefs long: 56, in 2002.

No 40+ yard runs 2003 to the present......
OK, he had one.

OnTheWarpath15
12-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Hmmm. That could be worth researching. BigRock is right about the 60 yard TD just before he got hurt, though. It was a screen pass against the Dolphins where he zigged clear across the field and left everybody behind.

Skip was speaking to runs, I think.

But to answer the receiving question:

Long of 67 in 2001.

Other season longs include 64, 60 and 52 yards. All with KC.

Mecca
12-30-2006, 03:21 PM

I don't jump up and down about the roids thing....if you go back and read my Welbourne takes I never once said he should be cut for roids or anything of that sort......

If Merriman played for th Chiefs I'd be thrilled we had an elite defensive player.

Kerberos
12-30-2006, 07:16 PM
I don't jump up and down about the roids thing....if you go back and read my Welbourne takes I never once said he should be cut for roids or anything of that sort......

If Merriman played for th Chiefs I'd be thrilled we had an elite defensive player.

But he DOESN'T play for the Chiefs so we can talk all the shit on the Roid Raging ASS hat, Cry Baby MY HEAD HURTS, I gotta get back for my next injection Merriman that we want.

IMO Welbourne should never have been let back on the team either. I'm with "The Talking Can" on this one....they should give EVERYONE that test positive 1st time a 16 game suspension. We would have a lot less ROID ragers out there like your butt buddy here.