PDA

View Full Version : My most missed restaurant in Missouri.

Simply Red
12-31-2006, 10:08 AM
http://www.stephensons.bigstep.com/

Yesterday I made an awesome dinner. BBQ brisket with twiced baked potatoes w/ pea salad and pears. Iced tea to drink and Ben and Jerrys Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream for desert.

After getting this recipe(for the brisket) from my mother she stated that she got it from our old neighbor in Blue Springs decades ago. The neighbor worked for Alaska Pipelines, however mom said when Stephensons first opened he trained all of the cooks and shared recipes with them. This guy must have been a great cook because not only is this recipe excellent but last time I checked Stephensons was one of the best restaurants out there.

Stewie
12-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Are you going to share your recipes?

Simply Red
12-31-2006, 10:16 AM
sure:

5# brisket
1.5 cans of beer
1/2 teaspoon of celery seed
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of liquid smoke
1 tablespoon of kosher salt

Proceedure:

Put brisket in baking dish
pour beer over brisk.
pour liq. smk over brisk.
dust roast with all remaining dry ingredients

Cover tightly with foil. Bake on 335 one hour per pound.
add 30 minutes at 300.
pull out and let rest for 20 minutes.
slice.
pour remaining juices in mixing bowl and whisk in favorite BBQ sauce(sauce will be fairly loose) poor over sliced meat return to oven
250 ten minutes or so.

Drizzle results lightly with pure bbq sauce.

Simply Red
12-31-2006, 10:18 AM
sure:

5# brisket
1.5 cans of beer
1/2 teaspoon of celery seed
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of liquid smoke
1 tablespoon of kosher salt

Proceedure:

Put brisket in baking dish
pour beer over brisk.
pour liq. smk over brisk.
dust roast with all remaining dry ingredients

Cover tightly with foil. Bake on 335 one hour per pound.
add 30 minutes at 300.
pull out and let rest for 20 minutes.
slice.
pour remaining juices in mixing bowl and whisk in favorite BBQ sauce(sauce will be fairly loose) poor over sliced meat return to oven
250 ten minutes or so.

Drizzle results lightly with pure bbq sauce.

obviously bake fatside up.

Stewie
12-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks. Sounds good. I have one that's similar, but I'll try this one the next time I pick up a brisket.

patteeu
12-31-2006, 10:23 AM
This restaurant has been panned by ChiefsPlanet critics in several previous threads. Apparently it's not as good as it used to be. I think someone (Phobia maybe?) thought the service sucked.

The recipe sounds good though.

Simply Red
12-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Thanks. Sounds good. I have one that's similar, but I'll try this one the next time I pick up a brisket.

yeah just be certain to give yourself plenty of time. Remember delicate heat for lengthy time makes a tough cut tender and brisket is tough by nature. As far as the twice bkd potatoes. It is fairly simple. Baked potatoes halfed and hollowed. Take meat O potato and combine with butter sourcream sharp chedd. bacon and scallions chopped fine. mix and return to hollowed potatoes crown evenly you can sprinkle top with cheese and paprika return to oven until hot throughout.

Pea salad is easy La Suer baby peas sourcream light mayo sharp cheddar chopped green onion white pepper sugar and salt combine and serve.

Feel free to PM me with any concerns or questions.

Simply Red
12-31-2006, 10:27 AM
This restaurant has been panned by ChiefsPlanet critics in several previous threads. Apparently it's not as good as it used to be. I think someone (Phobia maybe?) thought the service sucked.

The recipe sounds good though.

Yep. I haven't been there in maybe 12 yrs. Used to love their pork chops and oddly their dinner salad was great. They used to put cheddar cheese cones(cheese in the shape of a horn or cone) in their salads.

phisherman
12-31-2006, 10:55 AM
they still put the cheese cones in the salads..

i worked at stephenson's for about 3 years in the mid 90's and their reputation wasn't completely stable back then...there had been rumors of failed health inspections..

i always found those rumors strange; the whole time i worked there, they had a cleaning crew come in every night to clean that place from top to bottom...

i still think that stephenson's has the best damn pork chops out there and every time i've been back the service has been top notch...some of the servers from when i was working there are still there

my favorite is still the green rice though, yummy

bp

Simply Red
12-31-2006, 10:59 AM
they still put the cheese cones in the salads..

i worked at stephenson's for about 3 years in the mid 90's and their reputation wasn't completely stable back then...there had been rumors of failed health inspections..

i always found those rumors strange; the whole time i worked there, they had a cleaning crew come in every night to clean that place from top to bottom...

i still think that stephenson's has the best damn pork chops out there and every time i've been back the service has been top notch...some of the servers from when i was working there are still there

my favorite is still the green rice though, yummy

bp

Yep Green Rice is awesome. I make one similiar excluding the parsley absurdity. My version excludes the cheddar and includes the ole white trash velvetta but the results are incredible.