PDA

View Full Version : There's something wrong with NFL officiating

ChiefaRoo
12-31-2006, 03:03 PM
How in the world can Jared Allen get called for a PF for making an excellent (no helmet to helmet contact) hit on the QB which causes an INT while Trent can get knocked out for 10 weeks and no penalty gets called? This is screwed up. I think the rules change so often that the officials don't even know what's going on. They're ruining the game.

Deberg_1990
12-31-2006, 03:06 PM
Its a bad rule. The NFL is just trying to protect their bread and butter...but its gotten to be a little much.

KChiefer
12-31-2006, 03:15 PM
Not to mention the clock issues these aholes are having in our and the Cinci game. I mean I'm on two hours of sleep and have more of a clue!

PastorMikH
12-31-2006, 03:23 PM
I used to think it was favortism - I still think it used to be. But not anymore. Officials are blowing calls for both teams in most of the games I watch. Even in college the officiating is horrible.

It seems to me that the officiating isn't anywhere near as competitent or consistent as they used to be.

John_Locke
12-31-2006, 03:25 PM
I think someone needs to review the officials every week and FINE they asses for blown calls

ChiefaRoo
12-31-2006, 03:26 PM
I used to think it was favortism - I still think it used to be. But not anymore. Officials are blowing calls for both teams in most of the games I watch. Even in college the officiating is horrible.

It seems to me that the officiating isn't anywhere near as competitent or consistent as they used to be.

I agree Mike. I mean put yourself in Jared Allen's shoes. What is he supposed to do? He didn't go helmet to helmet. He didn't want the QB to complete the pass, he didn't want him to get away by not wrapping up and he didn't have time to pull up (less than one full step) and he gets flagged. It's a complete joke he's in a no win situation for a pass rusher.

Tactical Funky
12-31-2006, 03:27 PM
We really should have won the game 35-24, but I'm just glad we actually won in spite of some of the shittiest reffing I've ever seen.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
12-31-2006, 03:29 PM
I think the was the worst officiated game all year. To let the play clock go 5 SECONDS over and not throw a flag, the Ty Law PI, and the worst one with Allen getting hit for roughing the passer. Not to mention the numerous times Allen and Hali were getting disrobed on holding calls where flags were not thrown.

The refs today were a complete joke.

SCChief
12-31-2006, 03:29 PM
How in the world can Jared Allen get called for a PF for making an excellent (no helmet to helmet contact) hit on the QB which causes an INT while Trent can get knocked out for 10 weeks and no penalty gets called? This is screwed up. I think the rules change so often that the officials don't even know what's going on. They're ruining the game.

I saw 3 screw-ups that were bad. That PI on Ty Law, the BS roughing the passer call, and the extra 3 seconds Jacksonville was given to run that one play. Horrible, horrible calls.

SCChief
12-31-2006, 03:31 PM
I saw 3 screw-ups that were bad. That PI on Ty Law, the BS roughing the passer call, and the extra 3 seconds Jacksonville was given to run that one play. Horrible, horrible calls.

Oh... and the personal foul on Waters on that last Chiefs drive. That was about a bunch of crap as well.

Coach
12-31-2006, 03:33 PM
Two times that the playclock went down and that the Jaguars got an extra 3-4 seconds from it. The first time happened, there was no flag. The 2nd time, the flag came in AFTER 3-4 seconds when it hit double zero.

Rain Man
12-31-2006, 03:33 PM
Don't forget the fact that the Jaguars ran a play with 42 seconds left in the second quarter, and the clock didn't move the whole play. When the next play started, there was still 42 seconds left and it almost burned us bad.

I have no idea why Trent even bothers sliding. It's apparently perfectly fine to hit him when he's sliding.

Lzen
12-31-2006, 04:00 PM
That was the worst officiated game I've seen in a long time.

grandllama
12-31-2006, 04:11 PM
Not only did the officiating in our game suck bawls, but I was watching the Browns game, and they got screwed so bad that I actually felt sorry for them. Something has to be done.

(remember, I watch the Chiefs game at the home for the Central Indiana Browns Backers home bar)

chief52
12-31-2006, 04:14 PM
Don't forget the fact that the Jaguars ran a play with 42 seconds left in the second quarter, and the clock didn't move the whole play. When the next play started, there was still 42 seconds left and it almost burned us bad.

I have no idea why Trent even bothers sliding. It's apparently perfectly fine to hit him when he's sliding.

I think there must have been a fill in on the clock today. When the Jaquars scored in the third period, the clock did not stop! It kept running the entire time that the special teams came on the field and did not stop until after the extra point! The officials should have surely picked up on it, but what was the clocker thinking??? Beer break?

penchief
12-31-2006, 04:24 PM
I think someone needs to review the officials every week and FINE they asses for blown calls

I don't know about that but it might not be a bad idea to have a salary cap for officials as a starting point and degrade their pay based on their percentage of blown calls. If everybody scores perfect they all get the maximum pay.

bkkcoh
01-01-2007, 01:08 AM
Two times that the playclock went down and that the Jaguars got an extra 3-4 seconds from it. The first time happened, there was no flag. The 2nd time, the flag came in AFTER 3-4 seconds when it hit double zero.

And didn't the Jags go on down and score after they should have been penalized......

I think the was the worst officiated game all year. To let the play clock go 5 SECONDS over and not throw a flag, the Ty Law PI, and the worst one with Allen getting hit for roughing the passer. Not to mention the numerous times Allen and Hali were getting disrobed on holding calls where flags were not thrown.

The refs today were a complete joke.

I have noticed that Hali and Allen are getting held quite often and it isn't getting called. It is bullshit to go 11 against 18 most of the time.....

BigRock
01-01-2007, 01:12 AM
The worst call of the weekend might have been that challenge during SF/Denver where they suddenly ruled that the pass to the SF receiver was incomplete. Make the right call there and the 9'ers probably don't even need OT.

Coach
01-01-2007, 01:16 AM
The worst call of the weekend might have been that challenge during SF/Denver where they suddenly ruled that the pass to the SF receiver was incomplete. Make the right call there and the 9'ers probably don't even need OT.

Exactly. I thought that the knee was down before the football actually came out. I was like, I didn't see much juggling going on,

Either way, I just wanted SF to keep the ball, either by down by contact or an incomplete, becuase if Denver got the ball right on the spot, that could had been a momentum swing right on the spot. Not to mention by field positioning as well.

keg in kc
01-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Dungver has clearly benefited from favorable bad calls, or non-calls, all season long. That wasn't the only head-scratching play in the Donkey game. It does seem at times like there's an active conspiracy to keep them in a competitive position, almost the way that certain high-level players have more leeway when it comes to flags.

Which is another bone of contention I've had for a while: if any player deserves leeway it's Tony Gonzalez, with a long and distinguished career, and he's regularly the victim of ticky-tack calls that you don't see called against anyone else on a consistent basis. He gets mugged constantly on his routes but never gets called. It's mind-boggling.

As for the Jared Allen call, it was ridiculous.

DenverChief
01-01-2007, 01:18 AM
It is bullshit to go 11 against 18 most of the time.....

WHA?

DenverChief
01-01-2007, 01:19 AM

Oh man that was horrible....the announcer said he didn't know if the refs had the same camera angles that they had....well by gawd if they don't they had better I don't know why the refs would only get one or two angles instead of them all if they are making critical calls FFS :banghead:

bkkcoh
01-01-2007, 01:22 AM
WHA?

Aren't there 7 officials????

keg in kc
01-01-2007, 01:29 AM
the announcer said he didn't know if the refs had the same camera angles that they had....That's actually a joke, because they do have the same camera angles. They always have. That's why the reviews in big games are generally longer than the ones in regional games - there's more cameras in place from the network.

That was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. He clearly had possession, he clearly secured the ball, he clearly took multiple steps and turned downfield, and the ball clearly did not come out until after his knee came down.

That horrible call kept Dungver in the game by preventing at least 3 points. It was amazing to watch the combination of San Francisco's inspired play and Dungvers absolute ineptitude allow the 49ers to overcome the clear competitive advantage the Donkeys were handed all day.

Imon Yourside
01-01-2007, 01:52 AM
I hate to call the wahhhhmbulance but i totally agree and it started on the horrible holding call in the donkey playoff game of 98. Stoyo hit a 40ish yard fg and they called our right end for holding when he didn't even touch the donkey.

penchief
01-01-2007, 04:13 PM
I hate to call the wahhhhmbulance but i totally agree and it started on the horrible holding call in the donkey playoff game of 98. Stoyo hit a 40ish yard fg and they called our right end for holding when he didn't even touch the donkey.

It goes back farther than that. I can remember a playoff game against Miami in which we had a huge running play that set us up for a late game-winning field goal. However, our rookie left guard (Dave Szott) was called for holding for nothing more than being knocked on his ass. The bogus call moved us back and we missed a long field goal to lose the game.

Hootie
01-01-2007, 04:15 PM
I just got a chance to see that Jared Allen penalty and that was absolutely ridiculous.

StcChief
01-01-2007, 04:16 PM
How about starting with FULL TIME Employees as refs.
Base pay, performance, training offseason, etc.

NFL makes enough money to afford it.

tk13
01-01-2007, 04:30 PM
I don't like to bash the officials... but they weren't very good yesterday. And it wasn't even the calls against either side, they just weren't watching the clock at all! I think that's unacceptable.

They weren't even watching the play clock, and I am pretty sure the clock didn't move on one of the kickoffs. I don't have a copy of the game... but somebody needs to check that one kickoff where it was kind of a short pop up/onside type kick that Dante almost lost. Maybe I'm crazy but I thought the clock didn't move on that play.

Another thing that confused me was after Jacksonville had a penalty with something like 3:30ish to go in the game. They stopped the clock to announce the penalty, we declined because we got the first down anyway... they spotted the ball to the result of the play, and never restarted the clock. The entire Chiefs huddle was telling the official to restart the clock, but he said no. That was confusing.

PastorMikH
01-01-2007, 04:52 PM

"That can't be justified since football is only a fall sport" is the stance.

Preseason to SB - August through January - is 6 months. Send them to Europe, that's another 3 months. In the remaining 3 months they can be attending training sessions and such.

38yrsfan
01-01-2007, 05:12 PM
My 2 cents .... The "officiating" in the NFL has been biased, dubious, hit-or-miss, game-changing, etc, etc, etc for most of the almost 4 decades I have been watching the game (3 of those as an "adult" - don't take my wife's evaluation to heart). There have been consistent favorites as well as consistent mis-applications of the same rule sets - a penalty this week but not the next week or even same week, different teams and the most troubling is when it even happens in the same game. It is something that the NFL has talked about for years but never really addresses the problem because it is often labeled sour grapes and cast aside. Even when a post-game review shows wrong calls nothing is done and there is no recourse for a team or sanctions/penalty against an official other than an ocasional termination. With the advent of off-shore unregulated and secret banking there is little that can be done to curb corruption and bribery (that from an FBI friend who was involved with a team looking at the issue as a side point to another investigation). "Multiple billions are wagered each year and the possibility of 6 and 7 figure bribery is a definite and most likely has happened and will continue so"

Last years SB was mentioned.

Just my 2 cents. Not sure of a solution but with the amount of money involved it is definitely fertile ground for corruption.

plbrdude
01-01-2007, 06:08 PM

why do something that makes sense? and that makes plenty.

sedated
01-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Another thing that confused me was after Jacksonville had a penalty with something like 3:30ish to go in the game. They stopped the clock to announce the penalty, we declined because we got the first down anyway... they spotted the ball to the result of the play, and never restarted the clock. The entire Chiefs huddle was telling the official to restart the clock, but he said no. That was confusing.

I noticed that too, but I thought that was the rule, at least outside 2 minutes :shrug:

either that, or they promoted college refs and forgot to tell them