PDA

View Full Version : Clark: Carl Peterson will reign until the end of time

BigRock
01-01-2007, 12:37 AM
Into each playoff appearance a little rain must fall, I suppose. Here's an article on Clark where he basically says anyone hoping that he'll fire Carl is just kidding themselves. Cue the hope that he's just posturing for the time being.

http://sports.aol.com/news/articles/_a/founders-son-says-he-wont-meddle-with/n20061231184109990002?ecid=RSS0001

Founder's son says he won't meddle with football decisions

By DOUG TUCKER
AP Sports

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -Clark Hunt says he'll run the Kansas City Chiefs with the same hands-off policy that characterized his father's ownership.

"We have people in the organization to make those decisions," the 41-year-old Hunt said after the Chiefs beat Jacksonville 35-30 Sunday in their first home game after the death of his father.

"The reason we hire a football person is so they can make the decisions."

Lamar Hunt, who founded the Chiefs as the Dallas Texans in 1960 at the same time he founded the AFL, died Dec. 14 following a long bout with prostate cancer. He had already transferred ownership of 24 1/2 percent of all his holdings, including the Chiefs, to his three sons and one daughter.

Clark, who was appointed chairman of the Chiefs in 2005, is apparently the only one of the four who has shown much interest in the club.

But he said he would continue to let general manager Carl Peterson run the day-to-day football operations while he immerses himself in extensive renovations on Arrowhead Stadium. The 33-year-old facility will undergo a $250 million upgrade beginning in February.

"We try to stay out of it," Clark Hunt said of football operations. "Like anybody, we have an opinion. But I would tell the guys our opinion doesn't matter. It's yours.

"But I'll be very involved in the stadium renovation. Obviously we have a lot of things going on from a business standpoint that ties into the renovation that we're going to be very involved with."

There were video board tributes to Lamar Hunt both before and during the game. The Chiefs founder died at the age of 74 and was hailed throughout the NFL as a pioneer who helped shape the modern face of professional football.

"It's been a trying time for our family," Clark Hunt said. "We have appreciated so very much all the kind things that people have said."

dirk digler
01-01-2007, 12:41 AM
:banghead:

Is all they ****ing care about is business and the ****ing stupid stadium?

How about trying to win a championship you stupid ****s.

:cuss:

milkman
01-01-2007, 12:45 AM
That's not raining on our parade.

That's pissing on it, you bastard.

Mecca
01-01-2007, 12:49 AM
:banghead:

Is all they ****ing care about is business and the ****ing stupid stadium?

How about trying to win a championship you stupid ****s.

:cuss:

They view the Chiefs as a business not a passion........that's just how it is.

patteeu
01-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Carl Peterson brought football back to Kansas City. He should be President/GM until he's ready to step down.

dirk digler
01-01-2007, 12:54 AM
They view the Chiefs as a business not a passion........that's just how it is.

Then they need to sell it to somebody that has a passion and wants to win

dirk digler
01-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Carl Peterson brought football back to Kansas City. He should be President/GM until he's ready to step down.

Are you serious?

Up until yesterday, 1 playoff game in 8 years. That ranks with the Lions, Browns, and Cardinals. We deserve better.

Carl has been here to long. If he wants to stay on as President\CEO fine but he has to give up the GM gig.

keg in kc
01-01-2007, 01:04 AM
Focusing on what your strengths are and staying out of what you don't know does not denote a lack of "passion", it demonstrates intelligent self-awareness. Simply put, the fact that he's in a position to f*ck with shit the way a lot of us would like to but cannot doesn't mean he's qualified or competent to do so. Much like the Glass family since the hiring of Dayton Moore, I would say "thank you very much for staying the hell out of it".

All I ask is that there be some accountability. We'll see what happens. And in my opinion, Carl's position shouldn't be in jeopardy now. He's coming off consecutive winning seasons and we're a playoff team. Firing him now would make as little sense to me as extending his contract did a few years back, following a losing season. That was then, however, and this is now. He has a new head coach, and things should play out for another year or two. That's the bed we made when we hired Herm, and I don't think we should change tack now merely for the sake of doing it.

I do think, however, barring a few years of consistent playoff success and a stated desire to continue doing his job, this should be the last contract of the Peterson era. I don't know that any GM in professional sports needs to have a 20+ year tenure. Either way, now is not the time for change, from a practical standpoint.

patteeu
01-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Are you serious?

Up until yesterday, 1 playoff game in 8 years. That ranks with the Lions, Browns, and Cardinals. We deserve better.

Carl has been here to long. If he wants to stay on as President\CEO fine but he has to give up the GM gig.

Yes, I'm serious. As far as I'm concerned, Carl Peterson has earned a lifetime contract for bringing the Chiefs franchise back from the dead. The latest playoff drought is nothing like the competitiveness drought we suffered through in the 70's and 80's.

milkman
01-01-2007, 01:24 AM
Yes, I'm serious. As far as I'm concerned, Carl Peterson has earned a lifetime contract for bringing the Chiefs franchise back from the dead. The latest playoff drought is nothing like the competitiveness drought we suffered through in the 70's and 80's.

Keg makes a solid point.

Yours is just ****ing ridiculous.

Better than bad does not equal good.

Toad
01-01-2007, 01:26 AM

Wow! Just...wow!

The only way Peterson gets a pass if we win the Super Bowl this year...

Coach
01-01-2007, 01:27 AM
One thing is that a meddling owner usually results some problems, like Steinbrenner and Jones and all that garbage.

In my opinion, a Owner should stay out of the GM's way and let the GM do his job. The Owner should step in when the GM isn't either producing money to the business and /or not winning games.

I'm guessing Clark is starting a fresh slate with Carl and go from there. :shrug: