PDA

View Full Version : Home Network Help

Hoover
01-01-2007, 02:33 PM
I got a new wireless router for my home recently. It works great, but my lap top will not hold the connection, it constantly cycles through connected and disconnected. It’s effin annoying, any clue on how I can fix this?

Buck
01-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Is there anything in between your laptop and router, specifically metal?

ZepSinger
01-01-2007, 02:53 PM
I got a new wireless router for my home recently. It works great, but my lap top will not hold the connection, it constantly cycles through connected and disconnected. It’s effin annoying, any clue on how I can fix this?

There can be dead spots- as stated in the last post, metal in the walls or ceiling can dramatically stifle the signal. You many have to experiment with the best placement for the router. I'd centrally locate it in the house so that there are no really distant points.

I absolutely LOVE my DLink. I have 2 laptops and 2 desktops hooked into it (3 wireless, 1 LAN cable), and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Z

Hoover
01-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Nope, just a floor. I'm directy under the router.

TN_Chief
01-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Most home routers out of the box default to using channel 6 and use a factory default SSID. It's possible that a neighbor's WiFi network is causing interference with yours...especially if they have a router from the same manufacturer. Your PC may be switching from AP to AP.

Go into your router's admin interface and change the channel...I'd suggest you start with either 1 or 11 (they're the "widest" channels, along with 6). Change the default SSID to something unique (perhaps your last name, or a nickname). Lastly, if you're allowing Windows (I'm assuming you're using MS and not Linux) to manage/configure the WiFi connection, go into the Wireless Card properties page and choose the Wireless Networks tab. In the bottom of that page, make sure your network (identified by the SSID) is at the top of the list. Then highlight it and click the Properties button...choose the Connection tab and make sure the box marked "Connect when this network is in range" is checked. Click OK, then go through the list of all the networks, clicking on the Properties button for all networks that aren't yours, going to the Connection tab and unchecking the "Connect when this network is in range" button.

That should stabilize things. I'm also assuming you're not using encryption.