PDA

View Full Version : RE: "Backing into the playoffs"

bobbything
01-01-2007, 08:23 PM
I will not dismiss that "luck" or "divine intervention", or whatever you want to call it, played a part in KC getting into the playoffs. But, at what point in the history of football has "luck" not had a part in the seasonal success of a team? The answer is: never

"Luck" is part of every single sport. A few calls go a teams way. An upset propels another team into, what should have been, a predetermined spot for another team. It's part of the game. Last year, KC was "unlucky" that they didn't make it in. Hence, we had Carl Petterass bitching about more playoff spots.

However, this "backing into the playoffs" is garbage. We are the only team of 5 AFC teams that did what they needed to do to get in. We won the one game that we had to win to get in. Jacksonville, Tennessee, Cinci, and Denver all did not. Were we "lucky" that Graham shanked a chip-shot field goal? Or that a 49'ers team with nothing to play for went into Denver and won? Or that, in spite of ourselves, we beat a tough Jacksonville team at home? Yes. But, we sure as hell didn't "back in." We won our way in. Just like everyone else.

We could look at the calibre of teams that we had to beat to get into this position, and compare that to the #5 seed, and argue who really "backed into" the playoffs.

The Jets only beat one team with a winning record. We beat two.

They beat the Pats. We beat the Bolts.

Their opponents had a winning percentage of .40, ours was .47.

None of this has any bearing on anything, really, but I wanted to point out that while Jets fan likes to spew hot air regarding us "backing in," we had a tougher road to get here than they did. And maybe, just maybe, they were the ones that "backed in" by virtue of a much easier schedule.

Direckshun
01-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Somebody said it in a different thread:

6 best records get into the AFC playoffs. It's not that complicated.

milkman
01-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Uh......ok.

bobbything
01-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Uh......ok.
Just splittin' hairs here. Like the Jets troll...

milkman
01-01-2007, 08:28 PM
And for the record, Carl and Lamar didn't just start bouncing the idea around for playoff expansion last season.

They've been doing for years.

The media just blew it up last year to make seem like sour grapes.

Reerun_KC
01-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Enough already, we are in the playoffs and who cares how we go there....

Jesus people let it go!

bobbything
01-01-2007, 08:31 PM
The media just blew it up last year to make seem like sour grapes.
It's a dumb idea though. You have the GM of a team that has only made the playoffs once in 9-10 years pushing for more playoff spots, then, yes, it looks like sour grapes.

milkman
01-01-2007, 08:34 PM
It's a dumb idea though. You have the GM of a team that has only made the playoffs once in 9-10 years pushing for more playoff spots, then, yes, it looks like sour grapes.

The point, dumbass, is that it was never about the Chiefs not making the playoffs.

Reerun_KC
01-01-2007, 08:34 PM

Carl is just being a total Puss. He sucks at his job and is trying to expand it so he will look better....

F*ck off Carl....

the Talking Can
01-01-2007, 08:40 PM
we're "lucky" that Denver sucks worse than us...

bobbything
01-01-2007, 08:41 PM
The point, dumbass, is that it was never about the Chiefs not making the playoffs.
Sweet. 5th grade playground smack-talk.

And, I would beg to differ. The expanded playoff picture that Carl was painting should have been saved for a different time; considering that his 10-6 team just missed the playoffs. I would think that he, of all people, should know that.

And spare me the "evil media made him out to look bad" nonsense.

milkman
01-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Carl is just being a total Puss. He sucks at his job and is trying to expand it so he will look better....

F*ck off Carl....

It was never about that.

Expanded playoffs means more money.

Bwana
01-01-2007, 08:44 PM
It was never about that.

Expanded playoffs means more money.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

milkman
01-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Sweet. 5th grade playground smack-talk.

And, I would beg to differ. The expanded playoff picture that Carl was painting should have been saved for a different time; considering that his 10-6 team just missed the playoffs. I would think that he, of all people, should know that.

And spare me the "evil media made him out to look bad" nonsense.

Who the hell is talking smack?
You are a ****ing dumbass.

That is fact, plain and simple.

And who the hell is defending Carl from the evil media?
I am telling you what happened, plain and simple.

He has been after expanded playoffs for years.
He's not going to change his agenda just because the Chiefs missed playoffs.

He has been forwarding that agenda for YEARS.

And that agenda was Lamar's agenda.

bobbything
01-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Who the hell is talking smack?
You are a ****ing dumbass.
Good stuff. Internet tough-guys are the toughest of all tough-guys. I'm now expecting you and your "gang" to bust out into some sort of song and dance number while trying to maintain your tough-guy image.

Is that you in the middle??

http://www.ethingsonline.com/duendemad/dvd/41-west-side.jpg

Coach
01-01-2007, 09:07 PM
All right, what are the positives and negatives for the playoff expansion?

I know one of the positives is for the $ part for the owners/league.

But what positives and negative would it bring to the fan base?

milkman
01-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Good stuff. Internet tough-guys are the toughest of all tough-guys. I'm now expecting you and your "gang" to bust out into some sort of song and dance number while trying to maintain your tough-guy image.

Is that you in the middle??

http://www.ethingsonline.com/duendemad/dvd/41-west-side.jpg

I just don't have a lot of patience for stupidity.

BTW, Whatever movie or show that's from, it looks ghey.

I'm sure you enjoyed it, though.

milkman
01-01-2007, 09:19 PM
All right, what are the positives and negatives for the playoff expansion?

I know one of the positives is for the $ part for the owners/league.

But what positives and negative would it bring to the fan base?

Expansion is a bad idea.

We already have an 8-8 team in.
Expansion would almost ensure we'd have a sub .500 team or two in at some point.