PDA

View Full Version : Herm presser: I'll pull any player for underperforming on Saturday

BigRedChief
01-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Heard this on Petro's radio show. Don't see the full text posted anywhere yet but it was very clear. It wasn't directed at Trent Green or any player.

Paraphrasing...

These are desperate times. Sometimes they call for desperate measures. At this time of the year I wouldn't hesitate to replace an underperforming player to give us a better chance to win.

He repeated the same thing again.

I'll update this post when the exact quote is posted.
From kcchiefs.com
Q: You said you coached different in the playoffs, so if you thought you had a quarterback that was struggling and you felt your team needed a jolt would you be more inclined in a playoff game to make a substitution?
EDWARDS: “Yeah, you have to. You have to. When you get in playoff games you have to win the game. There’s no tomorrow and you have to do what’s best for your football team at that point. I’ll do whatever I have to do.
“When you’re in the playoffs you’re desperate. This is desperate. This is desperation and you have to find a way to win. You have to win the game and if someone is struggling and you think you’ve got to go about doing something different you do whatever it takes.
“That’s with any player. If a player is struggling and you see him struggling you put somebody else in there and that’s OK.”
Q: But you might not do that in the regular season ‘cause you’re thinking several games down the road?
EDWARDS: Yeah, it’s a lot different. You coach certain playoff situations different than you do regular situations. It’s a different mindset and it’s how I’ve always approached it.”
Q: A lot of people are going to hear you say that and are going to think maybe he’ll go with Damon Huard if Trent should struggle again? Is that….

Bob Dole
01-02-2007, 01:36 PM
That's good to hear.

JBucc
01-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Good

KcMizzou
01-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Even Dante Dole?

:D

DaWolf
01-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Like I said before, I believe Herm when he says he plays to win the game. He's focused on Saturday and getting us a win. If Green is bad in the first half, I don't doubt we'd see a change. Same for the other starters.

That said, hopefully the last week's events and these words light a fire under Trent's ass...

StcChief
01-02-2007, 01:39 PM
because "you play to win the game"

MGRS13
01-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Yea and "he's not going to change the offense" come on he has to say that. It's Trents show win or lose.

Phobia
01-02-2007, 01:43 PM
I believe politicians and lawyers in the same vein.

If a player underperforms Saturday and Herm does not pull him, Herm will tell us we are idiots for thinking he was underperforming. Uh - marches to the beat of a different drummer is a phrase which comes to mind.

BigRedChief
01-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Yea and "he's not going to change the offense" come on he has to say that. It's Trents show win or lose.
Why does he have to say that? He has been saying that Trent gives us the best chance to win. He didn't qualify that. He didn't say Trent will start and he gives us the best chance to win but if he underperforms I'll pull him for Huard. Thats not what he said now either.

I think he's just using the media to put a little more pressure on the players. But why? If they can't get up for a playoff game then they aren't going to listen to Herm anyway.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-02-2007, 01:54 PM
How can he pull the whole team?

BigRedChief
01-02-2007, 01:59 PM
The presser has been posted on kcchiefs.com

Fire Me Boy!
01-02-2007, 01:59 PM
What about Pete Gonzales?

CupidStunt
01-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Look out...

Green - Huard
Parker/Hall - Webb, Gardner
Welbourne - Terry
Reed/Edwards - uhh... nevermind
Bell - Fox
Mitchell - uhh... damnit
Knight/Wesley - Page

Hall at KR - Webb... please?

Warrior5
01-02-2007, 02:01 PM
What about Pete Gonzales?

Herm already pulled him.

Don't believe me? Just wait and see if he even suits up on Saturday.

MGRS13
01-02-2007, 02:03 PM
I think he's just using the media to put a little more pressure on the players. But why? If they can't get up for a playoff game then they aren't going to listen to Herm anyway.
I think you might have nailed it on the head. He seems to be playing the media different this week then he has all year. Maybe he did the same thing in Ny when they got to the playoffs, I don't know. I'd ask a jets fan but, christ they all appear to be blinded by thier broken hearts for herm(Bill Parcells who posts on here he might know, he seems pretty smart, sorta makes me wonder if hes really a jets fan at all.)

InChiefsHeaven
01-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Dante will get a return for a TD this week against the Colts.

Chief Nute
01-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Does this go for underperforming coaches too? Because I am sure I will be screaming Dammit Goonther! when they decide to not put any blizting packages in against Peyton this Saturday.

BigRedChief
01-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Does this go for underperforming coaches too? Because I am sure I will be screaming Dammit Goonther! when they decide to not put any blizting packages in against Peyton this Saturday.
And they are going to have to disguise a blitz package a lot better than they have been doing. Payton will tell his reciever to change his route and burn us every time we telegraph a blitz.

ChiefFripp
01-02-2007, 02:13 PM
That said, hopefully the last week's events and these words light a fire under Trent's ass...
I honestly doubt Trent lacks motivation or a desire to win. Even when Trent isn't playing well i know he's giving his best that particular game. Sometimes you can't bring your A game, no matter how hard you try.

Mr. Laz
01-02-2007, 02:17 PM
i'll believe it when i see it.

Green,Hall,Bell,Wesley,Knight ... all these guys have struggled and not been pulled this year.

Chiefnj
01-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Why are people so blitz happy? The Colts protect Manning and he gets rid of the ball quickly. Plus, the Chiefs blitz packages generally suck. The Chiefs need to disguise their coverages, get pressure with the front 4 and hope Law and Surtain can jump a pass or two.

Dartgod
01-02-2007, 02:18 PM
And they are going to have to disguise a blitz package a lot better than they have been doing. Payton will tell his reciever to change his route and burn us every time we telegraph a blitz.
Ding! Ding!

I've been saying the same thing. I was having a conversation with a co-worker this morning and he was saying that he hoped we blitzed Peyton a lot this weekend, and I said that if we do not disguise our blitzes and start telegraphing every one (as has been our history), Manning will shred our pass D.

Defenses that rattle Manning are those that disrupt the receivers routes (jam them at the line) and get in his face by disgusing multiple blitz schemes. I'm not saying blitz every down, but we have to be aggressive.

I think this one aspect of the game is more important than who starts at QB or how many carries LJ gets.

Chief Nute
01-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Why are people so blitz happy? The Colts protect Manning and he gets rid of the ball quickly. Plus, the Chiefs blitz packages generally suck. The Chiefs need to disguise their coverages, get pressure with the front 4 and hope Law and Surtain can jump a pass or two.

Because I dont think that our front 4 can get there on time, and if we leave our slow corners on an island too long they will fall down.....or shall I say, slip.

KCJohnny
01-02-2007, 02:22 PM
I honestly doubt Trent lacks motivation or a desire to win. Even when Trent isn't playing well i know he's giving his best that particular game. Sometimes you can't bring your A game, no matter how hard you try.

I don't think anyone questions Trent's effort. He's a great leader in that respect. His decisions and throws are what has many of us doubting. Then when you see Damon and Trent on the field in the same game, the question goes out the window. Huard is clearly playing better now.

BigRedChief
01-02-2007, 02:23 PM

Green,Hall,Bell,Wesley,Knight ... all these guys have struggled and not been pulled this year.
Wellll you would pull someone if you had a realistic option at a better performance. Again thats going to be his call.

Wesley and Knight have not played so poorly. They have missed tackles and been late to help out on the deep ball sometimes but overall they haven't underperformed to their skill level.
Bell is a good candidate but Herm must think Fox is a liability out there.
Hall would be a good candidate.
Green is the obvious candidate.
OL? We don't have anyone thats clearly better.
DT's? Sims :shake:
MLB? Scanolon, Boomer? :shake:

Demonpenz
01-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Sweet will he pull solari?

BigRedChief
01-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Ding! Ding!

I've been saying the same thing. I was having a conversation with a co-worker this morning and he was saying that he hoped we blitzed Peyton a lot this weekend, and I said that if we do not disguise our blitzes and start telegraphing every one (as has been our history), Manning will shred our pass D.

Defenses that rattle Manning are those that disrupt the receivers routes (jam them at the line) and get in his face by disgusing multiple blitz schemes. I'm not saying blitz every down, but we have to be aggressive.

I think this one aspect of the game is more important than who starts at QB or how many carries LJ gets.

Look at the tape of the Houston game this year when they got 8 first downs all game and got beat at home and the Pitt game last year. Jam the recievers, hit Payton every chance you get, ball control running game.

We could do that. Surtain and Law can play bump and run. But Gun can't/won't change for this game. :(

Dartgod
01-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Look at the tape of the Houston game this year when they got 8 first downs all game and got beat at home and the Pitt game last year. Jam the recievers, hit Payton every chance you get, ball control running game.

We could do that. Surtain and Law can play bump and run. But Gun can't/won't change for this game. :(Yep. Just blitzing is not enough. We have to get in the receivers' heads as well.

I would rather lose this game because we were being too aggressive on D than to rush four all day and let Manning pick us apart.

DeezNutz
01-02-2007, 02:34 PM

Agreed. It's easy to talk big on Tuesday. But DeezNutz are still pleased to hear it...

BigRedChief
01-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Yep. Just blitzing is not enough. We have to get in the receivers' heads as well.

I would rather lose this game because we were being too aggressive on D than to rush four all day and let Manning pick us apart.Yeah we all know how that will turn out.:mad:

They spend hours looking at game film why don't they at least try to duplicate what has worked in the past? maybe law and surtain can't jam a reciever, maybe Kwakia can't get to Payton, You don't want to corner blitz and leave Wesley one on one with Harrison. Yes, its safe to play the cover two but it won't get us a win.

Halfcan
01-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Why did Herm wait this long?

Chiefnj
01-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Look at the tape of the Houston game this year when they got 8 first downs all game and got beat at... :(

What game are you looking at? When Indy lost to Houston it was on the road and Indy had 19 1st downs.

The Texans also had 0 sacks and 0 INTs.

The Texans won because they ran the ball and kept the ball away from Indy. TOP was 36 to 24 minutes.

NFL16
01-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Wellll you would pull someone if you had a realistic option at a better performance. Again thats going to be his call.

Wesley and Knight have not played so poorly. They have missed tackles and been late to help out on the deep ball sometimes but overall they haven't underperformed to their skill level.
anyOL? We don't have one thats clearly better.

For OL - Chris Terry?

IMO he should be the starter.

Calcountry
01-02-2007, 02:50 PM
I honestly doubt Trent lacks motivation or a desire to win. Even when Trent isn't playing well i know he's giving his best that particular game. Sometimes you can't bring your A game, no matter how hard you try.I tried hard to make the Varsity Baseball squad in HS too, but that wasn't good enough as I got cut.

Calcountry
01-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Why are people so blitz happy? The Colts protect Manning and he gets rid of the ball quickly. Plus, the Chiefs blitz packages generally suck. The Chiefs need to disguise their coverages, get pressure with the front 4 and hope Law and Surtain can jump a pass or two.That was New Englands path to success against him. They held him to mostly field goals as they stiffened in the Red Zone. Of course, Our D pales next to NE's of a couple years ago.

KurtCobain
01-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Why did Herm wait this long?

Because he plays to win last minute games only.

Calcountry
01-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Hopefully, Peyton will have some problems with protection in this game.

Bob Dole
01-02-2007, 03:01 PM

The Scanimal is on IR.

siberian khatru
01-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Hopefully, Peyton will have some problems with protection in this game.

So what you're saying is, we need to force Peyton to try to be a good teammate. ;)

Chiefs Pantalones
01-02-2007, 03:09 PM
How will Black do against Freeney?

htismaqe
01-02-2007, 03:14 PM

Wesley has been pulled SEVERAL times this season. He's just never been pulled PERMANENTLY.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Black better have his dancing shoes on. Freeney is QUICK. Especially with that spin move. We have to prepare for him, we don't have Roaf anymore.

Quick passes maybe? That'll help control the clock too. Run right at Freeney, teams have had success doing that (actually, teams have had success running at them everywhere, lol). The running game will be Green's best friend...and also Black's.

Mr. Laz
01-02-2007, 03:45 PM

so in your opinion Herm is not pulling anyone saturday either, because our talent level stinks.

so i take it your in the "fire carl" dept?

since Herman's hands are tied by our lack of talent.

like i said, i'll believe it when i see it.

he's already commited to Trent Green for next year ... unless Green completely implodes, he not gonna screw with that.

Edwards seems to be in love with Hall ...... he's never said so much as "Boo" about there being any issue with Hall's performance.

Edwards is just in love with the sound of his own voice .... he loves to talk tough.

we'll see.

Mr. Laz
01-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Wesley has been pulled SEVERAL times this season. He's just never been pulled PERMANENTLY.
i don't know that he's been pulled .... ever.

Herman put Page into some kind of safety rotation ....

knight comes out .... wesley comes out ... Page comes out

:shrug:

not that i'm not happy that Page is getting some playing time ... but it's hardly sending "play well or hit the bench" message like he suggest in the the comments that started the thread.

the only time i've seen Edwards pull anyone this years is in the final couple minutes of the cleveland?? game when he pulled a couple of linebackers and put Fox and griffin in.

but DJ and Bell were back in the starting lineup the next week and iirc part of that sub was because one of the players pulled was hurt a little.

maybe he'll be different in the playoffs.... i don't know, we'll see.

01-02-2007, 03:58 PM
I will believe it when I see it.

BigRedChief
01-02-2007, 04:21 PM
s
so i take it your in the "fire carl" dept?
31K posts and you don't know the answer to that question?:rolleyes:

Herm benching underperforming players?
I will believe it when I see it also.

dtebbe
01-02-2007, 04:29 PM
If he really means this, Wesley won't start.

DT

ct
01-02-2007, 04:43 PM
I don't think anyone questions Trent's effort. He's a great leader in that respect. His decisions and throws are what has many of us doubting. Then when you see Damon and Trent on the field in the same game, the question goes out the window. Huard is clearly playing better now.

Damon Huard threw 3 friggin passes!! There's nothin clear about this situation.

1-10-KC25 (9:31) T.Green scrambles right end to KC 32 for 7 yards (C.Ingram). KC-T.Green was injured during the play. His return is Questionable. Injury is a sprained ankle. Trent has got to learn to slide earlier!!

2-3-KC32 (9:03) L.Johnson up the middle to KC 34 for 2 yards (P.Spicer).

3-1-KC34 (8:24) D.Huard pass to S.Parker to KC 48 for 14 yards (D.Grant). Similar quick slant play to earlier from Trent to Sammie, who bounced it off his hands. This time he catches it. Yeah Sammie! :rolleyes:

1-10-KC48 (7:43) D.Huard pass to E.Kennison ran ob at JAX 12 for 40 yards [P.Spicer]. Great catch from Eddie on a ball thrown too far to the sideline. So far that the d-back gave up on the play. Outstanding effort from Eddie.

1-10-JAC12 (7:19) L.Johnson pass incomplete to E.Kennison [P.Spicer].
Looks like LJ got his wish, to get play calls like LdT.

2-10-JAC12 (7:13) D.Huard pass incomplete to S.Parker. Don't remember this play, honestly.

3-10-JAC12 (7:09) L.Johnson left end for 12 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Silly, but effective surprise call on 3rd and 10. One of those if it works you're genious, otherwise your and idiot.

BigRedChief
01-02-2007, 11:03 PM
From kcchiefs.com
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/01/02/herm_edwards_press_conference__12/

Q: You said you coached different in the playoffs, so if you thought you had a quarterback that was struggling and you felt your team needed a jolt would you be more inclined in a playoff game to make a substitution?
EDWARDS: “Yeah, you have to. You have to. When you get in playoff games you have to win the game. There’s no tomorrow and you have to do what’s best for your football team at that point. I’ll do whatever I have to do.
“When you’re in the playoffs you’re desperate. This is desperate. This is desperation and you have to find a way to win. You have to win the game and if someone is struggling and you think you’ve got to go about doing something different you do whatever it takes.
“That’s with any player. If a player is struggling and you see him struggling you put somebody else in there and that’s OK.”
Q: But you might not do that in the regular season ‘cause you’re thinking several games down the road?
EDWARDS: Yeah, it’s a lot different. You coach certain playoff situations different than you do regular situations. It’s a different mindset and it’s how I’ve always approached it.”
Q: A lot of people are going to hear you say that and are going to think maybe he’ll go with Damon Huard if Trent should struggle again? Is that….

BigRedChief
01-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Green could draw hook

Edwards says he might make a change at QB if the offense struggles against Indianapolis.
By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

When Trent Green made his return six weeks ago, coach Herm Edwards said he’d stick with his quarterback through rain, snow, picks, sacks, and, ultimately, boos.

That mantra has changed a little.

The Chiefs are in the playoffs now, and Edwards said if the offense struggles and needs a jolt Saturday in Indianapolis, he’d be willing to insert Damon Huard.

“You have to win the game,” Edwards said Tuesday. “There’s no tomorrow. And you have to do whatever is best for the football team at that point. I’ll do whatever I have to do. When you’re in the playoffs, you’re desperate.

“I think these players trust that whatever I decide to do, it’s always in the best interest of the football team. It’s never personal. The team knows that.”

Huard became a fan favorite after compiling a 5-3 record as the starter during Green’s recovery from a concussion, and the lovefest continued Sunday when the stadium rocked as Huard entered the game in the third quarter and led the Chiefs on a touchdown drive.

While Green was getting his ankle checked by the trainers, Huard hit a 14-yard slant pass to Samie Parker and a 40-yarder to Eddie Kennison. Huard fired a perfect strike to Kennison as he was being leveled by Jacksonville’s Paul Spicer.

The drive gave the Chiefs a 35-17 lead, then Green returned to the game to a chorus of boos. Edwards said he didn’t care whether Tuesday’s comments led to whispers of another quarterback controversy.

“People will think whatever they want to think,” he said. “At the end of the day, I make the decisions. I made a decision to start Trent when he was ready to play. He’s our starting quarterback. He’s our starting quarterback going into the playoffs, and I anticipate he’s going to play good. I don’t anticipate anything else.”

Green has thrown seven touchdowns and nine interceptions and has been sacked 24 times. His three-turnover day against the Jaguars no doubt further agitated the boo-birds who sat in the rain.

Huard has 11 touchdowns to one interception and carries a passer rating of 98.0. He’s given the Chiefs something they haven’t had in years — a proven backup good enough to make the masses clamor for a switch.

And an option for Edwards if things go bad Saturday.

“The good part about it is that because he had been in the huddle before and won five games, we just kept rolling,” he said. “No one got out of synch. Our team never blinked. That’s what was good about when Damon had to go in and play. He gained that experience, he gained that confidence, and the players gained confidence in him.

“That’s great when you have a guy like that who can just come off the sideline like Superman with his cape and take you down the field and then put his cape back on and stand back over there with me. It’s a good feeling to have.”

Rausch
01-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Yep. Just blitzing is not enough. We have to get in the receivers' heads as well.

I would rather lose this game because we were being too aggressive on D than to rush four all day and let Manning pick us apart.

We dropped people back and only rushed 3 or 4 last time and and they destroyed our defense in the playoffs.

The very next year at arrowhead we beat them by 10 and messed Manning up by coming after him.

Come after him. He ALWAYS chokes under big pressure when he's being rushed...

BigRedChief
01-03-2007, 08:33 AM
We dropped people back and only rushed 3 or 4 last time and and they destroyed our defense in the playoffs.

The very next year at arrowhead we beat them by 10 and messed Manning up by coming after him.

Come after him. He ALWAYS chokes under big pressure when he's being rushed...
But if you do that you have to jam the recievers at the line scrimage or hr throws the quick slant.

NewChief
01-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Green could draw hook

This article is the biggest bunch of conjecture BS and is entirely typical of the KC media. Nowhere in the article does Herm say anything about pulling Trent or even the possibility of pulling Trent. The only place he mentions Trent, he says he will start and anticipates him playing well. The only place he mentions Huard, he says that Huard did a good job coming off the bench, and it's nice to have someone like that. Liz takes her own ideas and pulls together a bunch of out of context quotes to basically make up a story. Pathetic journalism.

Brock
01-03-2007, 08:42 AM
This article is the biggest bunch of conjecture BS and is entirely typical of the KC media. Nowhere in the article does Herm say anything about pulling Trent or even the possibility of pulling Trent. Liz takes her own ideas and pulls together a bunch of out of context quotes to basically make up a story. Pathetic journalism.

I hope Green comes out on fire so this crap will die.

Dartgod
01-03-2007, 08:48 AM
This article is the biggest bunch of conjecture BS and is entirely typical of the KC media. Nowhere in the article does Herm say anything about pulling Trent or even the possibility of pulling Trent. The only place he mentions Trent, he says he will start and anticipates him playing well. The only place he mentions Huard, he says that Huard did a good job coming off the bench, and it's nice to have someone like that. Liz takes her own ideas and pulls together a bunch of out of context quotes to basically make up a story. Pathetic journalism.
The following sentence is a load of hooey as well.

Huard fired a perfect strike to Kennison as he was being leveled by Jacksonville’s Paul Spicer.
Uhhhh, no he didn't. That pass was nearly uncatchable, if not for an outstanding effort by Kennison.

NewChief
01-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Uhhhh, no he didn't. That pass was nearly uncatchable, if not for an outstanding effort by Kennison.

It's just so funny, because if you read the entirety of the actual presser from which she draws her quotes, Herm cuts off any talk of replacing Trent with Huard. He basically interrupts before the question can be asked and changes the subject. From that, Merrill draws the wonderful headline of Trent getting the "hook." Then she has the subhead "Edwards says he might make a change at QB if the offense struggles against Indianapolis." Actually, Herm didn't say that at all in the presser. She's a freaking idiot.

BigRedChief
01-03-2007, 08:55 AM
This is different than what he has been saying. If he says the same thing he's been saying all year its a non story. All he has to say is.......

Trent is the starter. I expect him to play well. I'm not going to speculate or play what if scenerios in the media. Trent's our guy

Again I'll repeat....I think this was a caculated move on Herm's part to motivate players. Which ones? Who knows.

Rausch
01-03-2007, 08:55 AM
But if you do that you have to jam the recievers at the line scrimage or hr throws the quick slant.

He throws quick slants all day and Law's going to snatch one up for a pick6...

BigRedChief
01-03-2007, 08:57 AM
He throws quick slants all day and Law's going to snatch one up for a pick6...
Yep, thats the ticket. Pressure, quick slant, wily vet jumps the route. Now executing that plan is a lot harder than coming up with the plan.

StcChief
01-03-2007, 08:58 AM
This is different than what he has been saying. If he says the same thing he's been saying all year its a non story. All he has to say is.......

Trent is the starter. I expect him to play well. I'm not going to speculate or play what if scenerios in the media. Trent's our guy

Trent will start and play well. It's his job to lose that position. He knows that.

The playoffs are entirely different level.

Rausch
01-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Yep, thats the ticket. Pressure, quick slant, wily vet jumps the route. Now executing that plan is a lot harder than coming up with the plan.

Law did it all the time with the Jets.

And Herm already punked Manning like 44-scratch or something. That's not going to happen, but Herm knows how to beat Payton.

BigRedChief
01-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Trent will start and play well. It's his job to lose that position. He knows that.

The playoffs are entirely different level.
Marty never figured that out. If Gannon..........:banghead: F%K that we are in the playoffs for the 2nd time in 8 years. I'll just enjoy the ride this week.

BigRedChief
01-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Law did it all the time with the Jets.

And Herm already punked Manning like 44-scratch or something. That's not going to happen, but Herm knows how to beat Payton.
That wasn't a playoff game when Herm's team beat Payton 41-0 was it?

Brock
01-03-2007, 09:02 AM

Yes.

Dartgod
01-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Yes, it was the Wildcard round in 2002

BigRedChief
01-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Yes, it was the Wildcard round in 2002
Very interesting