PDA

View Full Version : Lions plan to retain Matt Millen as GM

tk13
01-02-2007, 04:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2717730&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Millen returning; Lions 24-72 under his watch
ESPN.com news services

Another subpar season won't cost Lions president Matt Millen his job.

Millen, who has a 24-72 record in his first six seasons, will return next season. He still has four years left on the contract extension he was given last season.

The Lions beat Dallas on Sunday, closing the season an NFC-low 3-13.

Detroit was proud of proving it didn't quit on the miserable season by beating a playoff team in Week 17. The victory snapped a seven-game skid and a winless mark on the road in 2006.

It also cost the Lions the No. 1 pick in the draft -- an asset they could've used to perhaps trade for picks and players.

"I really don't want to be one or two," receiver Roy Williams said. "I'd rather be picking 31st."

Millen would, too, because such a low pick indicates success.

The Lions, who fired defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson and offensive line coach Larry Beightol on Tuesday, have struggled so much since Millen, a former linebacker and analyst, took over that they're had the No. 2 pick twice, No. 3 once and three other top-10 picks.

Some of the players taken with those picks haven't panned out and that begins to explain the mess the team is in six years after Millen arrived to lead a once-mediocre franchise.

Before Detroit's final home game, Millen said he talked to team owner William Clay Ford after each game and when they met in the middle of the season, they talked about plans for the next year.

Quarterback Joey Harrington and receiver Charles Rogers -- a third and second pick overall, respectively -- were discarded in 2006 and some have speculated that 2005 first-round pick Mike Williams will be the next to go.

Williams expects and wants to be back.

"People call me a bust, so when you get that label, there's no pressure," said Williams, who had a touchdown on Sunday to end his 30-game scoreless streak. "I don't worry about people talking about my weight and work ethic because I'm doing what I love to do and a lot of people can't say that.

"Things haven't started out pretty for me in the NFL, but that's going to change."

Detroit has more needs than picks in the draft and not enough cap space to fill every hole with free agency.

"There are a lot of things that need to be fixed," quarterback Jon Kitna said.

alpha_omega
01-02-2007, 04:36 PM
I thought for sure he would be the first person fired after the season ended.

Glad i am not a Lions fan.

Archie Bunker
01-02-2007, 04:36 PM
ROFL

Skyy God
01-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Calvin Johnson may be available at the 3rd slot....

Deberg_1990
01-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Wow.......just wow.....Id seriously shoot myself if i was Lions fan.

Rooster
01-02-2007, 04:46 PM
It's all Carl's fault. As long as MM is still in Detroit King Carl isn't the worst GM. Damn it Carl :cuss:

Bowser
01-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Can't wait to see that craptastic team get blasted on turkey day yet again.

They should forfit their rights to the Thansgiving Day game just for keeping Millen.

Halfcan
01-02-2007, 05:05 PM
And I though King Carl sucked-at least with the Chiefs lucking into the playoffs-Carl can justify raising the tickets 15%.

Sure-Oz
01-02-2007, 05:06 PM
The Owner needs to sell that team to someone who cares.

banyon
01-02-2007, 05:20 PM
I bust a gut when they talked about this on Fox's Sunday pre-game.

Terry Bradshaw had said that sometimes he gets to defend his buddies on air, at which point Howie Long asked if he could defend his buddy, Matt Millen to which Bradshaw said sure.

Coincidentally, I think, the next feature was them answering some viewer e-mails. The very next e-mail was from some kid in Detroit, "Dear FOX sunday crew, Does God hate the Lions?"

Howie Long tried to be funny and talk about the stadium beilt built on a burial ground or something, but then Jimmy Johnson leaned over to his right shoulder and looked at him and said "Maybe it's your buddy!"

Demonpenz
01-02-2007, 05:20 PM
is there anyway they can get jarrett and calvin johnson?

chiefqueen
01-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Well, I guess we can chalk up 1 victory for the Chiefs next year, the only negative is the San Diego and Denver gets to play Detriot as well. So does Oakland, I think the NFL will have Detroit @ Oakland as a Sunday night game. (/sarcasm)

Hound333
01-02-2007, 05:32 PM
I think the owner is just being stubborn hoping that someday they will win so he can give the city a big "I told you so". To bad MM sucks and that will never happen as long as he's the GM. I really really feel for Lions fans.

brent102fire
01-02-2007, 05:36 PM
IMO, CP isn't all that bad. I think he has made some mistakes in his Defensive Tackle draft picks, hiring Gunther but retaining all the same sub-par players a few years ago and a few FA signings that didn't work out. Is there an NFL Team that doesn't deal with those issues? On the flip side, CP has also drafted some HOF'ers and signed some top FA's to try to get this team into the post season. I think CP wants to win as much as any other Chiefs Player or Chiefs Fan. Atleast Matt Millen is in Detroit...

Skip Towne
01-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Matt Millen?? What are those people thinking? Why did they ever hire him? I wouldn't let him run a coin laundry even if I had a coin laundry.

the Talking Can
01-02-2007, 06:04 PM
"Quarterback Joey Harrington and receiver Charles Rogers -- a third and second pick overall, respectively -- were discarded in 2006 and some have speculated that 2005 first-round pick Mike Williams will be the next to go."

imagine picking 3 Ryan Sims in 5 years.....brutal, they should be loaded with all-star talent

Brock
01-02-2007, 06:08 PM
That's gotta be depressing for Lions fans.

Skip Towne
01-02-2007, 06:13 PM
That's gotta be depressing for Lions fans.
It would be if they actually had fans, The only time I see Lions gear is on "Home Improvement".

01-02-2007, 06:15 PM
It's all Carl's fault. As long as MM is still in Detroit King Carl isn't the worst GM. Damn it Carl :cuss:
ACtually, it is Carl's fault they retained him. We made the playoffs so they think there is still hope for Matt's 5 year plan too.

Rain Man
01-02-2007, 06:42 PM
I bust a gut when they talked about this on Fox's Sunday pre-game.

Terry Bradshaw had said that sometimes he gets to defend his buddies on air, at which point Howie Long asked if he could defend his buddy, Matt Millen to which Bradshaw said sure.

Coincidentally, I think, the next feature was them answering some viewer e-mails. The very next e-mail was from some kid in Detroit, "Dear FOX sunday crew, Does God hate the Lions?"

Howie Long tried to be funny and talk about the stadium beilt built on a burial ground or something, but then Jimmy Johnson leaned over to his right shoulder and looked at him and said "Maybe it's your buddy!"

ROFL

This has to be al-quaida plot to destroy America's national sport. No rational person would keep Millen. He's so bad that even Rich Kotite is laughing at him.

Skip Towne
01-02-2007, 06:51 PM
ROFL

This has to be al-quaida plot to destroy America's national sport. No rational person would keep Millen. He's so bad that even Rich Kotite is laughing at him.
I laughed when I heard they hired him. But then I thought maybe they knew something I didn't. They didn't.

DomerNKC
01-02-2007, 06:58 PM
His teams average 4 wins a season. He is doing a great job.

Ultra Peanut
01-02-2007, 06:59 PM
The NFL should contract the Lions for this.

buddha
01-02-2007, 07:01 PM
How very Lions of them!

There's a reason why bad franchises stay bad.

This is People's Exhibit A.

Eleazar
01-02-2007, 07:46 PM
With apologies to Bob Gretz, the league needs to have an intervention with the Lions.