PDA

View Full Version : Ty Law and Pat Surtain will be better next year.......

Kylo Ren
01-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Some are saying that we need to draft a CB or find one in FA. Although I also think we should, I don't think it's as urgent as others do. Some have been dissappointed in Law and Surtain. Next year I think they will both play better for two reasons.

Herm will.....
1. .....promote Pollard and Page. I think their speed, youth and hard hitting will help Law and Surtain.
2. ....find more help at DT through the draft or FA. As we all know, more pressure up front will help the CB play.

Therefore, I'm saying that our defense is in pretty good shape. For '07 we only need one or two new DT's. The rest of the defense is set. Yes, in the next year or two CB will need to be addressed, but not in '07. We could get by another year with Bell or promote Fox / Griffin / Scanlon.

Agree? Disagree?

Discuss.......

Deberg_1990
01-02-2007, 11:22 PM
I honestly dont think overall they have played that bad this year.

Be thankful were not starting: McCleon/Bartee/Warfield

Brock
01-02-2007, 11:24 PM
2 inexperienced safeties probably isn't going to help the corners.

KcMizzou
01-02-2007, 11:25 PM
I honestly dont think overall they have played that bad this year.

Be thankful were not starting: McCleon/Bartee/WarfieldI agree. It could be (and has been) a lot worse.

Wendychili14
01-02-2007, 11:41 PM
No, the Cornerbacks this year weren't perfect, but they got the job done. Esspecially Surtain, He held Torry Holt to Three Catches, THREE. Their stats might not be the best, but what matters is if the job got done on the field or not, and it did.
Also Law had four interceptions this year, two that were crucial to the outcome of the game.
First-That Arizona Interception was a gamesaver.
Second-Law Made a beauty Interception against the jags, I watched it again and again, he knew what was coming, right as the ball was snapped he ran to the ball and snatched the pick.
The Corners this year was a dream to year's past.
2006 Season: Solid B: Best the corners have been since 97'
2005 Season: C: Surtain was a good addition but Warfield cost us some games, (Buffalo, Dallas,)
2004 Season:F: Look up "Disaster" in dictionary

Chiefs Pantalones
01-03-2007, 12:02 AM
No, the Cornerbacks this year weren't perfect, but they got the job done. Esspecially Surtain, He held Torry Holt to Three Catches, THREE. Their stats might not be the best, but what matters is if the job got done on the field or not, and it did.
Also Law had four interceptions this year, two that were crucial to the outcome of the game.
First-That Arizona Interception was a gamesaver.
Second-Law Made a beauty Interception against the jags, I watched it again and again, he knew what was coming, right as the ball was snapped he ran to the ball and snatched the pick.
The Corners this year was a dream to year's past.
2006 Season: Solid B: Best the corners have been since 97'
2005 Season: C: Surtain was a good addition but Warfield cost us some games, (Buffalo, Dallas,)
2004 Season:F: Look up "Disaster" in dictionary

The Dline is a secondaries best friend. We got after the QB that game; we got some good pressure on him and forced some turnovers. Even Champ can't cover a WR for that long, especially with the rules these days.

BWillie
01-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Patrick Surtain had a hell of a year. They just didn't throw at Patrick very much because most of the time he was a blanket. Sure he had some screw ups, but every corner in the league will get scrutinized at some point in the season for a blown coverage or falling down (see Ty Law). All in all, I think this was Patricks best year as a Chief and he's one of our defensive MVP's I gotta say. Hopefully Ty will get it together for the playoffs. He hasn't really had a good year, just made too many mistakes. Sometimes they happens to aggressive corners. Ty Law tries to make plays, and sometimes he tries to make picks too often which gives up the big play.

KcMizzou
01-03-2007, 12:20 AM
The thing about CB's is you only notice them when they screw up. Kinda like the o-line.

If they dont get huge INT's... you dont notice them much at all.

When they cover a guy great... and the QB doesnt throw their way... nobody notices what a great job they did.

BWillie
01-03-2007, 12:24 AM
The thing about CB's is you only notice them when they screw up. Kinda like the o-line.

When they cover a guy great... and the QB doesnt throw their way... nobody notices what a great job they did.

I completely agree. There was a year when Deion (as much as I think he's a dbag) had only 1 or 2 picsk but it was one of the best years a cover corner has ever had.

el borracho
01-03-2007, 01:14 AM
Yes, the corners will be fine for another year if we get them help on the Dline but I wouldn't limit our defensive needs to just the tackles. We also need another DE if for no other reason than to get Eric Hicks off the roster.

Demonpenz
01-03-2007, 01:25 AM
ty sure has fagton manfagnnings number. Maybe we can pick off eleventeen passes

el borracho
01-03-2007, 01:30 AM
Pretty close to unintelligible but I think you could have gone a little farther. Something like, "tie shur haz Gimplegump Pinkerflops numb burr. May -bee wee can pickle off elevun teen passes."

Demonpenz
01-03-2007, 01:39 AM
I used the word that is used 2 times in the dire straight song money for nothing

Chiefs Pantalones
01-03-2007, 01:54 AM
Yes, the corners will be fine for another year if we get them help on the Dline but I wouldn't limit our defensive needs to just the tackles. We also need another DE if for no other reason than to get Eric Hicks off the roster.

If Hicks plays ONE down in this game, I'll be pissed.

RedThat
01-03-2007, 02:09 AM

Oh I wholeheartedly agree.

Direckshun
01-03-2007, 02:12 AM
After the three game losing streak, ChiefsPlanet was ready to vote Law/Surtain off the island.

You guys sound a hell of a lot different when we make the playoffs. Wow.

RedThat
01-03-2007, 02:13 AM
Our cornerbacks were fine this year. Law and Surtain played solid football. Sure Ty Law had a few screw ups, but he is still pretty solid.

A LOT better than Warfield/McCleon/Bartee days...Geez dont want to go back there...lol

*what this team needs is to create more of a passrush. A couple of DTs.
A lot of times were not generating a good push up the middle. Thats a big problem.

BWillie
01-03-2007, 02:17 AM
After the three game losing streak, ChiefsPlanet was ready to vote Law/Surtain off the island.

You guys sound a hell of a lot different when we make the playoffs. Wow.

For the record, I've been on the Surtain bandwagon the entire year. Law has pretty much sucked this year for what we are paying him, but to his credit he's been thrown at alot.

MichaelH
01-03-2007, 05:44 AM
Law and Surtain are much better than McCleon, Bartee and Warfield but very expensive. I agree that Surtain played well and earned his pay but not Law. His output didn't equal his paycheck in my opinion. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong this Saturday.

I hope Herm doesn't concentrate fully on the defense this offseason. The Chiefs have made that mistake before and ruined the balance of the team.

Rukdafaidas
01-03-2007, 06:20 AM
I thought they both played pretty well this year. Law fell down a couple of times, but it seemed to me he took the blame, on several plays, where he released his man to a safety that wasn't present.

Simplex3
01-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Am I the only person still objective enough to recognize theses guys are catching up to Al Davis in age? Hell yes you have to draft one or more corners unless you think you already have guys on your roster. That's not saying they have to start next year, but damnit you aren't going to be picking one early in the first round either. Anybody you get is going to need a couple of years, which is the max we're going to get out of Law and probably Surtain, too.

Chiefs_Fan
01-03-2007, 07:31 AM
I think they have played well, but I'm with simplex, we need to start planning ofr hte future. Get one now and groom him to take over for law/surtain in a couple of years.

rad
01-03-2007, 08:11 AM
We should draft a RB in the 1st round.

htismaqe
01-03-2007, 08:56 AM
We need to draft a CB if for not other reason than to have a young one waiting in the wings.

Chief Chief
01-03-2007, 09:19 AM
KC's top 3 needs: OT, G, & WR.

htismaqe
01-03-2007, 09:30 AM

KC should be drafting the best available athlete, REGARDLESS of perceived "need".

NaptownChief
01-03-2007, 09:30 AM
CB's don't get better with age once they have been around long enough to learn the game.

There is a reason why many good CB's get moved to safety as they get older and it isn't because they get better.

Positive thinking is nice and all but being realistic isn't all bad either.

InChiefsHeaven
01-03-2007, 09:33 AM

I would change G to DT, other than that I'd agree.

Chief Chief
01-03-2007, 10:06 AM
KC should be drafting the best available athlete, REGARDLESS of perceived "need".

So if the best available athlete at the time of our selection is a TE, you're saying we must get him to join Dunn, Gonzalez, and Wilson.
That's SO intelligent!!

htismaqe
01-03-2007, 10:10 AM
So if the best available athlete at the time of our selection is a TE, you're saying we must get him to join Dunn, Gonzalez, and Wilson.
That's SO intelligent!!

ROFL

If the best available athlete is a tight end, you ABSOLUTELY draft him.

1) Jason Dunn is on IR with a bad back and he's old.

2) Tony Gonzles is in the middle of a contract negotiation. We have no idea whether he's signable or not at this point.

So YES, I would draft a TE if the pick warrants it. That's how championship teams are built.