PDA

View Full Version : Jaguars Blueprint for Beating the Colts

Chiefnj
01-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Now is the time to win
10 things to beat Colts

By Vic Ketchman, jaguars.com senior editor
12/08/06

This is the month that defines teams. December is when we find out who the real muscle teams are. The first three months are for the stat boys. Now we find out who can get it done at crunch time.

For those players and teams who play their best when the games count the most, we reserve a special place of respect and admiration. Don’t tell me about Tom Brady’s stats. Talk to me about his 18-3 record in December.

So just do it now. Don’t worry about those two losses to Houston. They require no explanation. Just win these games. This is December. This is the month for champions. You wanna be a champion? Just win now.

Here are 10 things the Jaguars have to do to beat the Colts.

1. Run the ball—It remains the formula for beating the Colts. Dominate time of possession and limit Peyton Manning’s play-count. You do that by running the ball down the throat of the NFL’s worst run-defense.

2. Take it away—The Cowboys and Titans each intercepted Manning twice.

3. Be forceful—In this game a year ago, the Jaguars were timid and they got blown out. Enough of that. Championship teams aren’t timid.

4. Pressure him—You don’t have to sack Manning to affect him. In fact, he wants the Jaguars to blitz. It’s important that the Jaguars get pressure without blitzing.

5. No mistakes—This is December. There have been too many practices for the same mistakes to keep occurring. It’s time to play the perfect game.

6. Nullify Marvin Harrison—That’s what a premier cornerback does against a premier pass-receiver. Rashean Mathis is under the microscope. The Jaguars need for Mathis to win this battle.

7. Protect the passer—David Garrard is starting to run too often. He’s a passer. Provide him with the pocket he needs.

8. Tackle the return man—Does that need to be said? The Colts beat the Jaguars in September with a punt return for a touchdown. That absolutely must not happen this time.

9. Get hot—A win over the Colts would do that for the Jaguars.

10. Be physical—Maybe this should be number one. The Colts are a finesse team. Hit them early and hit them often.

Halfcan
01-03-2007, 08:39 AM
yeah Go Jags

Dartgod
01-03-2007, 08:40 AM
11. Don't start Trent Green at QB.

Brock
01-03-2007, 08:40 AM
They forgot "start your backup QB because for some reason we can't quantify he's supposed to be better".

Dartgod
01-03-2007, 08:41 AM
They forgot "start your backup QB because for some reason we can't quantify he's supposed to be better".
Ha! Beat ya to it.

StcChief
01-03-2007, 08:42 AM
1. LJ/Bennett
2. Allen/Hali DJ
3. Allen/Hali/Reed/Edwards
4. Allen/Hali/Reed/Edwards/DJ/Knight/Wesley/Page
5. Green
6. Law/Surtain/Walls
7. Black/Terry/Welbourne/Shields/Waters/Wegmann
8. ST Pollard/Grigsby
9. Green/EK/Gonzo/Parker/LJ/Bigfoot
10. D/OL

11. Dante hall take one back to the house

Chiefs are you listening.

ChiTown
01-03-2007, 08:42 AM
That's pretty sound.

I think the major key is ball control. Got to give the D a chance to rest and keep Indy's O on the sidelines as much as possible.

boogblaster
01-03-2007, 08:45 AM
If our O can run and control the clock we'll beat Indy.....

KChiefer
01-03-2007, 08:48 AM
Haven't seen anyone state it yet, so here it is...

Chiefs lead the league in Time of Possession this year.

Heard it on NFL Network. And it's exactly what we want.

ROYC75
01-03-2007, 08:51 AM

Hootie ?

Chiefnj
01-03-2007, 08:55 AM

Either the stats are wrong, or you misheard what was said.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-TOTAL/2006/regular?sort_col_1=15&_1:col_1=15

ChiTown
01-03-2007, 08:59 AM

Actually, the Chiefs are 14th (according to the NFL StatsTOP (http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-TOTAL/2006/regular?sort_col_1=4&_1:col_1=15)) in T.O.P.

That said, T.O.P. is VERY important in a game like this, but so is Red Zone Production. Indy and the Chiefs are ranked 2nd and 3rd respectively in Red Zone Offense We need both to be in full bloom if we want to win this game.

KChiefer
01-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Yes, I'm wrong, there no way we lead. I must have heard something wrong.

I wish I woulda added up the numbers before I said that, or better yet known nfl has a stat page that has it.

I'm fired!

Reerun_KC
01-03-2007, 09:09 AM

If DH was the answer he wouldnt of lost 3 games due to pissing down his pants..

**** Damn Huard...

Bearcat
01-03-2007, 09:21 AM
So, let me get this straight... if you can run the ball effectively and protect the quarterback while on offense and play perfect defense with pressure and turnovers and containment of the other team's best players, you can win?

Yeah, I'll take 4 weeks of that :rolleyes:

MGRS13
01-03-2007, 09:28 AM
how many times will the same thread be started..Kedy to beating the Colts.....Run the ball, keep pressure on manning, don't get behind(this is the real key, if the colts don't have to worry about the run and can just rush the passer every play we are done.).....Now the real thread should be CAN the chiefs do what they have to do to beat the colts?

Kylo Ren
01-03-2007, 10:41 AM
#7 will be the hardest one for the Chiefs to accomplish.

Mr. Laz
01-03-2007, 10:44 AM
dam, that's brutal

i remember a time when i got blasted for days, if not weeks, for just saying that Trent Green had an average arm.

WoW ... times have changed :eek:

Mr. Laz
01-03-2007, 10:45 AM
#7 will be the hardest one for the Chiefs to accomplish.
actually imo #4 will be

Dartgod
01-03-2007, 10:45 AM
dam, that's brutal

i remember a time when i got blasted for days, if not weeks, for just saying that Trent Green had an average arm.

WoW ... times have changed :eek:Sarcasm, my man, sarcasm...

StcChief
01-03-2007, 10:47 AM
#7 will be the hardest one for the Chiefs to accomplish.Yep. quick slants, short routes.

ROYC75
01-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Face it folks, you have falling under the spell of Mrs. Hootie Huard......... powerful, powerful spell I say !

Mr. Laz
01-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Sarcasm, my man, sarcasm...
dam sarcas-o-meter is on the fritz again

:banghead:

dam thing never works right

:p

RP_McMurphy
01-03-2007, 11:57 AM
You cannot blitz as Manning is uncanny in his ability to find the open reciever in a nano second. If the Chiefs can get pressure on him the D-line you have a chance. One worry is he doesn't like pressure up the middle and I can't see the Chiefs getting pressure with the DT's they have. Offensively LJ meet the worse run defense in the league over the last 10 years. They cannot stop the run for nothing and admit it. If they stuff the box I go to Tony G over and over again.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Defense is going to win this game.

We have to him them in the mouth, be physical with their offense, and we gotta run it down their throats, with some playaction. We can do that as well as keep it balanced with the passing game. But the key is DEFENSE. If we don't get to Manning, he'll light us up like he did in 03.

ChiTown
01-03-2007, 01:29 PM
You cannot blitz as Manning is uncanny in his ability to find the open reciever in a nano second. If the Chiefs can get pressure on him the D-line you have a chance. One worry is he doesn't like pressure up the middle and I can't see the Chiefs getting pressure with the DT's they have. Offensively LJ meet the worse run defense in the league over the last 10 years. They cannot stop the run for nothing and admit it. If they stuff the box I go to Tony G over and over again.

You have to blitz or he will 'stand' back in the pocket and pick you apart. You just have to disguise and choose wisely when to blitz.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-03-2007, 01:35 PM
You have to blitz or he will 'stand' back in the pocket and pick you apart. You just have to disguise and choose wisely when to blitz.

Exactly.

Sure, Manning we'll get his, but in the end you will have enough stops to where you win the game. Teams that don't get after him, obviously, lose the game.