PDA

View Full Version : From the Denver Post - This evening.

SLQ
01-03-2007, 09:55 PM
broncos

Suspect vehicle identified
By Felisa Cardona, Kirk Mitchell and Howard Pankratz
Denver Post Staff Writers
Article Last Updated: 01/03/2007 07:35:45 PM MST

Police investigating Monday's shooting death of a Denver Broncos player are searching for a sports (http://www.srch-results.com/lm/dir_rxt.asp?k=sports)-utility vehicle (http://www.srch-results.com/lm/dir_rxt.asp?k=utility%20vehicle) registered to Brian Kenneth Hicks, a veteran (http://www.srch-results.com/lm/dir_rxt.asp?k=veteran)criminal (http://www.srch-results.com/lm/dir_rxt.asp?k=criminal) and gang member in jail on attempted-murder and drug charges.

Officers are trying to find a 1998 white Chevrolet Tahoe registered to Hicks in connection with the killing of cornerback Darrent Williams, police sources say. The vehicle has Colorado license plate 665-OBS.

And while Hicks was behind bars at the time of Williams' death, detectives want to know who was using his car early New Year's Day. That's when Williams was killed as gunshots were fired from a white SUV that pulled alongside his stretch limousine after a nightclub party.
Hicks, 27, is awaiting trial on charges he tried to kill two women outside a nightclub in 2005.

Kalonniann Clark, one of the women wounded outside the nightclub on Ninth Avenue and Acoma Street, was killed on Dec. 6, just days before she was set to testify against Hicks.
Hicks was in custody when Clark was killed, as well as at the time of Williams' death.
Denver police dispatchers on Wednesday urged officers to use caution if they encountered the Tahoe.

Hicks declined to be interviewed by The Denver Post. He was moved to an isolated jail cell Wednesday, said Denver Sheriff's Sgt. Frank Gale.

Williams, 24, was gunned down after leaving the Shelter nightclub at 1037 Broadway with a large group of friends. Several Broncos and Denver Nuggets players were sponsoring a party at the club to celebrate the new year and Nuggets player Kenyon Martin's birthday.
Several witnesses and Williams' family members say that an argument broke out between two groups of men as Williams was leaving the club. A short time later, he was shot in the neck as he rode in the stretch Hummer limo at 11th Avenue and Speer Boulevard, several blocks away.

Two other people in the Hummer, Nicole Reindl, 21, and Brandon Flowers, were wounded. Reindl was sent home with a bullet in her head on Tuesday. Flowers was released from the hospital hours after the shooting.

The Rev. Leon Kelly, who helps Denver teens escape gangs and drugs, said he heard that Williams was with members of the Bloods street gang on New Year's Eve and that they had a conflict outside the Shelter with members of the Crips.

"In the gang world, respect is a major issue," Kelly said. "Someone may have felt disrespected. The shooting wasn't random."

Kelly said he knew Hicks to be affiliated with the Crips, as did another source familiar with the case.

Family members have repeatedly denied that Williams was involved in gangs. But Williams didn't need to have gang ties to be in danger, Kelly said. "People die over being around someone who does. I bury kids who were just with somebody," he said.

"I don't justify what happened but I can understand the logic behind it; to just light up a vehicle like that without knowing where someone was sitting," Kelly said. "A lot of these guys don't take target practice."

Everyone in the Hummer became a target when someone climbed inside after angering a gang member, he said.

Williams' mother, Rosalind, denied that her son had anything to do with gangs.

"That has nothing to do with Darrent," she told 9News. "Darrent is not affiliated, nor has been affiliated, with any group that supports violence. I didn't expect for them to find a car with a citizen that goes to work everyday from 9 to 5, OK?"

Rosalind Williams also said she doesn't believe anyone in her son's group was involved with gangs.

"It's not correct information that the fight that night was gang related with anyone from Darrent's group," she said. "I heard that there was an altercation at the club in which Darrent was not involved. He happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time."
Denver police spokesman Sonny Jackson said investigators have not established a gang dispute as a motive for the killing, nor would he verify whether police are targeting Hicks in their probe.

Demond Williams, Darrent Williams' uncle, said police officials updated the Broncos Wednesday at the conclusion of a private memorial.

"We are hopeful the police will get these people off the streets," he said.
Crime Stoppers is offering a $2,000 reward for information leading to the capture of the shooter.

"I urge anyone who knows anything to let the police, let the organization know," Broncos safety Nick Ferguson said. "We need to get justice. We need this young man to rest in peace."

Hicks is in jail on a $550,000 bond in a Nov. 9 case in which he was charged with intent to distribute a duffel bag filled with 8.8 pounds of cocaine. He is also being held on $500,000 bond in the attempted-murder case.

Since Clark's death, Hicks' attempted-murder trial has been postponed. No suspects have been arrested in Clark's death.

Hicks' wife, Kimaya James, 26, was arrested two days before Clark was killed on allegations she threatened Clark if she testified against Hicks.

Hicks also has a violent history with police officers, according to 1997 court records that say he aimed a revolver at Denver officers Robert Wyckoff and Dennis Bedenbender.
For that offense, Hicks was convicted of two counts of felony menacing and one count of carrying a concealed weapon. He was sentenced to three years in prison.

Community activist Alvertis Simmons has organized a candlelight vigil for Williams to start at 4:30 p.m. Friday at 10th Avenue and Broadway, concluding at 11th and Speer, the site of the shooting.

"We want everyone there," Simmons said. "This is not a color thing. It's a people thing, a human rights thing. We want this type of violence to stop and we want the people responsible caught."

Another candlelight vigil organized by fans is set for 2:15 p.m. Saturday at Invesco Field at Mile High, at the south stands entrance below the horse waterfall.

Staff writer Felisa Cardona can be reached at 303-954-1206 or fcardona@denverpost.com (fcardona@denverpost.com).

Denver Post staff writers Manny Gonzales and Bill Williamson contributed to this report.

Phobia
01-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Crime Stoppers is offering a $2,000 reward for information leading to the capture of the shooter.
Absolutely embarrassing. Broncos players and Bowlen need to increase this reward by about 200x by this time tomorrow.

InChiefsHeaven
01-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Holy Crap...this Hicks guy sounds like the worst Tony Soprano impersonator...even had a witness killed in his trial...

wow. Denver IS a happening town...:shake:

01-03-2007, 10:14 PM
$2,000 reward for info??thats pathetic

Bowser
01-03-2007, 10:17 PM
$2,000 reward for info??thats pathetic

No shit. I'm no detective, but I'm thinking nobody is going to want to rat out a gang member for 2K.

Obviously, the Denver police have dropped all their funding into the Jon-Benet case.

SLAG
01-03-2007, 10:19 PM
No shit. I'm no detective, but I'm thinking nobody is going to want to rat out a gang member for 2K.

Obviously, the Denver police have dropped all their funding into the Jon-Benet case.

no it all goes into the cherry arts festivial

Rausch
01-03-2007, 10:20 PM

We'd like to pay you $2,000 to be a witness against a guy accused of killing a witness against him.

Ummmmmmmm.......pass.

DaFace
01-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Absolutely embarrassing. Broncos players and Bowlen need to increase this reward by about 200x by this time tomorrow.

I thought it was a mistake when I first read it, but they said it was $2k on the news tonight as well.

jlscorpio
01-03-2007, 10:28 PM
throw in a can of game worn crisco autographed by Nalen and Schlereth and I'm droppin names...

Hoover
01-03-2007, 10:31 PM
How was Javon Walker involved in all of this. Were they arguing at the bar befpre he left?

munkey
01-03-2007, 10:57 PM
"We want everyone there," Simmons said. "This is not a color thing. It's a people thing, a human rights thing. We want this type of violence to stop and we want the people responsible caught."

:spock:

Rain Man
01-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Wow. So the owner of the vehicle is in jail on a major drug charge that's independent of killing a witness to another crime that he committed. Now his vehicle is used for another murder? It makes me wish that the police would do a drive-by on him.

siberian khatru
01-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Wow. So the owner of the vehicle is in jail on a major drug charge that's independent of killing a witness to another crime that he committed. Now his vehicle is used for another murder? It makes me wish that the police would do a drive-by on him.

Denver sounds like a very dangerous place. If I were you, I'd lock myself in my house the rest of my life. Luckily, you re-did the kitchen.

Rain Man
01-03-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm thinking that he may be the guy who stole my bike.

DaFace
01-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Just as long as he doesn't have a vendetta against market researchers, we'll be all right. Wouldn't want to mess up the pretty new chairs.

Rain Man
01-03-2007, 11:15 PM
This particularly makes me mad because I'm a Blood myself.

siberian khatru
01-03-2007, 11:20 PM
This particularly makes me mad because I'm a Blood myself.

Really? I had you pegged as a Crip.

Rain Man
01-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Really? I had you pegged as a Crip.

Don't provoke me. I'm warning you. Don't provoke me.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
01-03-2007, 11:31 PM
I wonder if Eric Hicks is related to this Brian Hicks guy?

In other news; it sounds like this Brian Hicks guy is one of the people that should be thrown into a sound, light, and water proof pit and left to rot.

DomCasual
01-04-2007, 01:58 AM
I'm thinking that he may be the guy who stole my bike.
:) Got a pretty good laugh out of me with that one.

NJ Chief Fan
01-04-2007, 02:06 AM
Didn't the Steelers LB Joey Porter get shot in the ass a few years back outside a Denver bar or club a few years back?

Abba-Dabba
01-04-2007, 02:13 AM

Not really. It's a CrimeStoppers reward, which IIRC is normally $1000 around here. CrimeStoppers doesn't have a thing to do with the Broncos. If the Broncos organization wants to set up a reward themselves, I'm sure they could do that.

If CrimeStoppers allowed their reward to increase for Williams, essentially what they are saying to the public is the crime commited on Williams is more important than a crime commited on the average Joe.

mikey23545
01-04-2007, 02:21 AM

I think Siberian just dissed you.

Chief Chief
01-04-2007, 08:22 AM

Uhmmm..HELLO...the J-B thing happened in Boulder!! Don't ever become a private investigater - just keep your day job making crap at Lighthouse for the Blind...

Chief Henry
01-04-2007, 08:37 AM

Your mom likes it with spoons :)

StcChief
01-04-2007, 08:56 AM
I guess these rich players aren't picky where the have their parties....

KC Jones
01-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Denver sounds like a very dangerous place.

http://denver.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Kansas+City&s1=MO&c2=Denver&s2=CO

http://denver.areaconnect.com/crime/makechart.asp?c1=Kansas%20City&c2=Denver&s1=MO&s2=CO

Latest 2005 Crimes per 100,000 People:
Kansas City, MO Denver, CO National

Murder: 28.1 10.5 6.9
Forcible Rape: 65.86 58.1 32.2
Robbery: 446.5 253.7 195.4
Aggravated Assault: 918.7 473.5 340.1
Burglary: 1658.6 1303.7 814.5
Larceny Theft: 4823 3280.1 2734.7
Vehicle Theft: 1292.7 1421.3 526.5

KC Jones
01-04-2007, 11:56 AM
I guess these rich players aren't picky where the have their parties....

I hate to say it but after I first heard about it and read about his past I wondered:

1) If he still had any current gang ties.
2) If the party involved the Nuggets and any of those guys had gang ties.

I could be pretty far off but I get the impression that more NBA players "keep it real" by having ties to gangs and try to live the up the thug image.

Eleazar
01-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Sucks if it's gang related, what a stupid thing to die over.

The guy in the article is right though, if you associate with gang members even if you aren't involved yourself, you can get caught in the crossfire. Maybe Williams didn't know who the people were or what their affiliations are.

Sucks that someone feeling disrespected might have gotten him killed.

Inspector
01-04-2007, 12:09 PM
"Reindl was sent home with a bullet in her head on Tuesday."

Wow, Nicole is one tough cookie.

Chief Chief
01-04-2007, 12:17 PM
No, not really. She's a Bonko fan..y'know, brainless..so no autopsy necessary.

KChiefer
01-04-2007, 01:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2718793

Looks like they found the suspects vehicle.