PDA

View Full Version : Defense will be more important than LJ in Indy

Red Dawg
01-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Colts run D will come out pumped so I hope that we hit them in the air in the frist quarter more than a few times.

Our defense will be the difference in this game. We have got to hold them way down. Go into haltime close if not winning and then run the crap outta LJ to keep manning off the field and wear them out.

StcChief
01-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Agreed. This needs to be a big day for our D.

FD
01-04-2007, 01:20 PM
It hardly needs to be said, but the key to that is getting to Manning, something nobody has done in Indy all year (I think 5 sacks total) which is why they're 8-0.

Hammock Parties
01-04-2007, 01:24 PM
It's not just about sacks, guys. The last time we played Manning we didn't sack him. But we got just enough pressure on him to make him move his feet and throw the ball a little sooner than he wanted. He missed a few throws in the first half of the game and that was the difference, thanks to an incredible game by the Chiefs offense (almost 600 yards).

This time we have the personnel to execute that gameplan at an even higher level - on defense, at least. What we can't do is let the Colts score 21 points in the second half because they adjust and Gunther doesn't. They went max protect in the second half of that 2004 game and we had no answer for it. Fortunately, maybe this time we do - but probably only because we don't have idiot safeties (Jerome Woods) who bite on play action fakes with a 17-point lead.

KCJohnny
01-04-2007, 01:25 PM
I say start Bernard Pollard as the Falcon and send him after Manning on every down. Why not?

Que Card QB
01-04-2007, 01:28 PM
I say start Bernard Pollard as the Falcon and send him after Manning on every down. Why not?Seriously. Sick 'em Bernard!

PastorMikH
01-04-2007, 01:29 PM
I agree. We cannot let the Colts score every possesion like we did the last time we played them in the playoffs. The D needs to pressure - but we really need to be able to pressure with the front 4 and not rely on blitzing every down for the pressure. If we get blitz happy, it may take Peyton a couple of series to figure out the spots left open from the blitzing, but he will and when he does, he'll burn us bad from it. Now, blitzing occasionally is fine, but if we can't rely on blitzing for our pressure it will burn us.

Our DBs also have to be on their game - DON'T let anyone get open. And when they do get the ball, punish the reveiver with the tackle. Let the receivers know that they will get pounded if they go up for a catch. Get them worried about the hit that's coming more than the catch.

If our D can somehow get the emotion back that they had at times in the second half of the Jax game, they will get the job done.

penguinz
01-04-2007, 01:32 PM
I think the outcome of this game lies upon the guys maintaining the oxygen tanks.

BucEyedPea
01-04-2007, 01:33 PM
You are definitely goin' to have to "get to" Manning as a key to the game.
Then run the ball.

elvomito
01-04-2007, 01:35 PM
I say start Bernard Pollard as the Falcon and send him after Manning on every down. Why not?with the way Benny Sapp was limping out of the jax game, i wouldn't be surprised to see somethin completely new like that. throw somethin at indy that they've never seen

KCJohnny
01-04-2007, 01:39 PM
with the way Benny Sapp was limping out of the jax game, i wouldn't be surprised to see somethin completely new like that. throw somethin at indy that they've never seen

I remember one year the Bulls had a strategy called "Hack a Shaq" where they used all 3 centers to keep fouling O'Neal. Well, IT WORKED. We need a strategy similar to that to keep manning's feet moving. Pollard has shown that he can get to both the punter and the QB.

BigRedChief
01-04-2007, 01:46 PM
This was what Clayton's article on ESPN was saying. LJ will get his 100+ yards. The Chiefs will have success running the ball. but if they don't put it in the end zone at the end of those drives and stop Peyton for some field goals it will be a long day for them.

RodInCanton
01-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Hey guys, not quite sure where to post this but this seems the best thread. I have no doubts that LJ is going to run wild against the Dolts but was wondering what you guys think will happen defensively. In my opinion (watching the Chiefs as a Bronco fan) I believe they are at their best when they bring the pressure straight up the gut (by stunting and blitzing) rather than playing the 'bend but don't break aka cover 2' method. Anyways, I'm in Vegas and was wanting to throw some money down on the AFC West (yes, I am a Bronco fan but also an AFC West fan - sans Raiders) and didn't know the scoop from Chiefland. Any help in convincing me to go through w/ the bet would be greatly appreciated!!!

Wile_E_Coyote
01-04-2007, 03:00 PM
I don't really care much for Ray Lewis, but I remember a game were he mimicked Peyton & got in his head. I don't think that would work again so much, but getting in his head can be done. Happy feet have hurt him

El Jefe
01-04-2007, 04:49 PM
I remeber last year against the Steelers he took a lot of abuse and you could tell he was rattled. I would like to see Kawika, or DJ get a clean shot directly on him, and see how fast Manning gets back up LOL.

Mecca
01-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Kawika would just miss.....he's good at that.

dirk digler
01-04-2007, 05:08 PM
If I was Herm\Gun I would come out with some really different D alignments to try to fool Manning. In his past losses that is exactly what the Steelers or the Patriots did plus they got alot of pressure on Manning.

My fear is our D-Line won't get much pressure and Manning will pick us apart.

Halfcan
01-04-2007, 05:13 PM
You guys seem like you are talking yourself into thinking we are not HUGE underdogs. But IF we pull this off it will be the biggest win since the Montana days. I am on the Bandwagon-their Defense is a total joke.

penguinz
01-04-2007, 05:24 PM
their Defense is a total joke.Much like yourself. Their D has played very well in the Dome.

PastorMikH
01-04-2007, 05:54 PM
I don't really care much for Ray Lewis, but I remember a game were he mimicked Peyton & got in his head. I don't think that would work again so much, but getting in his head can be done. Happy feet have hurt him

Heh, it would be comical to see Kawika go up behind Edwards or Reed like a QB under center, start calling out numbers, pointing, and saying HUT! HUT! HUT!

:)

OnTheWarpath15
01-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Much like yourself. Their D has played very well in the Dome.

They've given up 19 points and 146 rushing yards per game @ home.

chappy
01-04-2007, 06:03 PM
They need to come out pumped like the Niners D did in denver. Even though they got all those penalties they let the Donkeys know off the bat they are not gonna lay down. I wouldn't care to see the first few series flagged for our guys blowing up their guys even if it may be a penality.

Halfcan
01-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Much like yourself. Their D has played very well in the Dome.

Ouch! Nice one Colt lover.

penguinz
01-04-2007, 08:08 PM
They've given up 19 points and 146 rushing yards per game @ home.And they are 8-0 at home.

PastorMikH
01-05-2007, 01:44 AM
Saw this article on Fox Sports...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6326942?FSO1&ATT=HCP&GT1=9012

They are looking at the teams in the playoffs and making a case for each team why they can win and why they can't.

Here's a quote about the Colts D that got me a bit...

Why the Colts Can't Win: Their run defense is softer than elevator music.

:)