PDA

View Full Version : I've liked Herm's attitude this week, but this concerns me

CupidStunt
01-05-2007, 02:14 AM
You blitz, who's going to cover Marvin Harrison?

Please, God... please don't let us embarrass ourselves on national TV by letting Peyton Manning effortlessly pick apart our cover-2 chit.

At least go after him and put him on his ass a few times for his troubles.

tk13
01-05-2007, 02:25 AM
If I'm Herm, the last thing I'm doing is saying "Oh yeah, we're gonna blitz the crap out of him" to the media. Lie, lie, lie.

I'm not sure how much we're going to blitz... we did it a lot last time. At least hopefully we'll change looks at the line of scrimmage a lot, I'm sure we're going to do that.

Demonpenz
01-05-2007, 02:32 AM
we are going to sit back in the cover 2 and play everything in front. I have heard we might even only rush 3 sometimes and just rely on our front 3 to get pressure. We can't afford to give up big plays.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2007, 02:38 AM
we are going to sit back in the cover 2 and play everything in front. I have heard we might even only rush 3 sometimes and just rely on our front 3 to get pressure. We can't afford to give up big plays.

If we just rush 3, it'll be 2003 all over again.

Demonpenz
01-05-2007, 02:44 AM
2003? Our best pass rusher was R-kal trulock

ferrarispider95
01-05-2007, 02:45 AM
If we just rush 3, it'll be 2003 all over again.
I think he was kidding, but if we do drop back we will get shredded on the underneath routes.

Gunter better pull some blitzes out his ass, because we will not be able to get pressure with the front 4.

01-05-2007, 02:46 AM
I think he was kidding, but if we do drop back we will get shredded on the underneath routes.

Gunter better pull some blitzes out his ass, because we will not be able to get pressure with the front 4.
Gunther's blitzes stink.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2007, 02:53 AM
Manning threw for 282 yards last week against the league's fourth-ranked pass defense and had a passer rating of 101.4.

Defense is the key to this game.

tk13
01-05-2007, 02:58 AM
Manning threw for 282 yards last week against the league's fourth-ranked pass defense and had a passer rating of 101.4.

Defense is the key to this game.
Larry Johnson is the key to keeping the defense off the field. :)

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2007, 03:02 AM
Larry Johnson is the key to keeping the defense off the field. :)

True, but the defense has to do its job when it's on the field.

teedubya
01-05-2007, 03:18 AM
Peyton, 2 picks... 2 sacks... 2 TDs... 300 yards

Tony and Herm know each other so well... this is like a chess game. They are both relishing this moment to challenge other and compete as peers.

These guys have been friends for how many years?

RedThat
01-05-2007, 03:20 AM
If we play and stick with cover 2 all game, I would not be too fond of that idea.

I dont like the attitude of play it safe all the time, just dont give up the big play. Just let the offenses take what they can get underneath. To me thats still allowing your opponent to move the ball on you, but in a methodic way. We did that against Cleveland, and their rookie quarterback Derek Anderson torched us. Can you imagine if we did that against Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts offense?

There is no doubt in mind,

*Chiefs play cover 2 all day=Indy scoring lots of points.

I just dont like it. Dont get me wrong, I dont entirely hate it. I just dont think its smart to play it all game. Its not smart. And it shows me something. If we played that all game, it tells me the Chiefs defense is playing out of fear. The Chiefs defensive front imo, does not matchup well against Indianapolis' offensive front. If were gonna play a cover 2, this means we rush 4 DL, and our defensive line has to dominate, and i dont feel good about that. I feel the opposite actually.

Nothing is worse than giving one of the league best QBs all the time to deliver the football.

Best thing to do is mix it up. Be physical with them. Just like NE did, and Pittsburgh did with them. The Colts struggle against teams that play physical. We have to punch them in the mouth early and hard. Id like to see some blitzing, press man-to man coverage. Id like to see some jamming from our CBs on their WRs. Make their WRs misrun their routes. We have to send guys their FAST. Blitz guys their fast. Send more guys then they can actually block. We should be blitzing guys like DJ and Sapp. Their quick like missles.

Im a firm believer that to make a play you got to gamble. Thats the way it goes. Be aggressive, and get in Mannings face. At some point in time, I think we're going to need a turnover in this game. I just dont see it happening if our defense is going to relax and play cover 2 all day. I could be wrong, and hope for a lucky bounce?

Extra Point
01-05-2007, 03:39 AM
I can't believe yesterday's over/under (50?) and the 7 point spread. That's easy money. This game will be over after Manning gets put on his back twice. Chiefs 21, Colts 16.

Direckshun
01-05-2007, 03:48 AM
If I'm Herm, the last thing I'm doing is saying "Oh yeah, we're gonna blitz the crap out of him" to the media. Lie, lie, lie.
++

MeaTy The Pimp
01-05-2007, 05:50 AM
I just want to see DJ hit Peyton Manpleaser just like he hit Plummer last season, and I want to see it many times.

If we can get to Peyton and rattle him the game should be ours...

CupidStunt
01-05-2007, 06:09 AM

Definitely. This is what I'm hoping is the case.

Alphaman
01-05-2007, 06:23 AM
I heard Ditka say the blue print was out on how to play the Colts offense. He said you DON'T blitz alot. Instead you force them to have long drives if they are going to score and not quick hitting, big play touchdowns. You must also be able to run the ball effectively and score. Doing both of these things eats up clock and limits the number of possessions the Colts have.

If you don't allow them to score every time they have the ball, this tactic keeps their score lower than the 30 they average. For the Chiefs to win, this game must be in the 20s or even better, the teens.

I'm not saying we shouldn't blitz at all, I'm saying we probably shouldn't do it alot. Ty Law has been big for us this year (AZ game, JVille game). We aren't playing this weekend without him. However, I don't think he can cover Harrison or Wayne man to man on too many downs.

Also, remember this: the year Manning broke the TD record, teams tried to blitz him all day long. He is VERY good at reading blitzes. I agree we must be physical with them, but that doesn't mean we have to blitz alot. One component of the Cover 2 is to jam the WRs at the line. We need to see more of that tomorrow.

Bob Dole
01-05-2007, 07:18 AM
Bob Dole would like to see our corners mauling the receivers at the snap and throwing off the timing. That's going to give Hali and Allen time to do their job without resorting to the blitz.

siberian khatru
01-05-2007, 07:21 AM
Bob Dole would like to see our corners mauling the receivers at the snap and throwing off the timing. That's going to give Hali and Allen time to do their job without resorting to the blitz.

That's where I'm coming from, too.

CupidStunt
01-05-2007, 07:26 AM
The concept of a cover-2 is fine; it just doesn't seem that our execution justifies continuing to run it. We've given up a fair amount of big plays.

More than the 32_efense years? Probably not. But we've got a lot more talent now, too.

the Talking Can
01-05-2007, 07:51 AM
how about one of our $50 million CBs, Herm?

what the **** else are we paying Surtain and Law for?

El Jefe
01-05-2007, 07:55 AM
DJ getting a free shot on a blitz would rattle anybody. I would like to see Mitchell, Pollard, or Page get a free shot too, all of those guys can bring the lumber.

Chiefnj
01-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Herm and Ditka are correct. People who think the Chiefs will be able to effectively blitz Manning and cause him to make mistakes aren't aware that: (a) Manning has only been sacked something like 8 times at home all year, (b) the Chiefs blitzes are usually pretty poor, (c) the Colts are a fast team, indoors going against a somewhat slow and aged defensive backs group.

Like it or not, forcing Manning to take the short stuff is the way to go. You hope that on some short passes Allen or Hali get some pressure and force an errant throw. You hope Surtain and Law jump a pass or two. You hope DJ and Wesley get some good licks on receivers as they come across the middle. The more times he has to convert 3rd downs, the more opportunity for mistake and an eventual punt.

Which brings us to the offense. Eat the clock and go for touchdowns. Settling for field goals won't cut it. I think the game will hinge on 3rd down defense. Which team can hold up more often on 3rd down.

Lin Elliot
01-05-2007, 09:06 AM
This game is going to come down to the field goal kickers. The Chiefs will be sorry for the day they released me. The curse of the Playoff Missed Kick will continue for the Chiefs. I'm sure you can remember a few over the years (Miami,Indy,........)

Fish
01-05-2007, 09:07 AM
I heard Ditka say the blue print was out on how to play the Colts offense. He said you DON'T blitz alot. Instead you force them to have long drives if they are going to score and not quick hitting, big play touchdowns. You must also be able to run the ball effectively and score. Doing both of these things eats up clock and limits the number of possessions the Colts have.

If you don't allow them to score every time they have the ball, this tactic keeps their score lower than the 30 they average. For the Chiefs to win, this game must be in the 20s or even better, the teens.

I agree with this as well..... we've got to play the game at our tempo.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2007, 09:21 AM

I'm not saying we shouldn't blitz at all, I'm saying we probably shouldn't do it alot. Ty Law has been big for us this year (AZ game, JVille game). We aren't playing this weekend without him. However, I don't think he can cover Harrison or Wayne man to man on too many downs.

Also, remember this: the year Manning broke the TD record, teams tried to blitz him all day long. He is VERY good at reading blitzes. I agree we must be physical with them, but that doesn't mean we have to blitz alot. One component of the Cover 2 is to jam the WRs at the line. We need to see more of that tomorrow.

If we're going to do this, we must be disciplined in our zones and not make any mental errors.

Also, why don't we see a lot of play-action passing? Or do we see it, and I just forgot because our Oline can't hold up long or I forgot because our WRs can't get open on a consistent basis anyway?

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2007, 09:31 AM
My fear is that we aren't even going to run the ball in the first half. We'll be down 28-0 and they'll interview Herm at halftime and he'll say, "it's oookkkkkkkayyyyy."

acasas4
01-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Bob Dole would like to see our corners mauling the receivers at the snap and throwing off the timing. That's going to give Hali and Allen time to do their job without resorting to the blitz.Exactly! For those 5 yards our CB's have to do this. New England frustrated the hell out of Manning many times this way.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Exactly! For those 5 yards our CB's have to do this. New England frustrated the hell out of Manning many times this way.

Sadly that was before Peyton owned the world and the NFL. Law got penalized for that just this past Sunday against Matt Jones.

acasas4
01-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Sadly that was before Peyton owned the world and the NFL. Law got penalized for that just this past Sunday against Matt Jones.They still need to jam them at the line and throw the timing/route off. No blatant holding.

Easy 6
01-05-2007, 09:53 AM
I think we'll play it safe 80% of the time, but when we do blitz i believe that Gun will bust out the most exotic stuff in the book.

If our DT's can really make the colt C & G's work, Jared & Tamba could have great days, negating the need for constant blitzing.

I also agree with all who say that the receivers need to be mugged in the first 5 yds, just like the Pats did to the Rams in the SB. That should give our front 4 a crucial extra 1/2 second.

I cant wait to see what this D is truly capable of, its gonna be the BEST damn Saturday in a long time.

Jr_Captain
01-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Is it Saturday yet? I'm not going to get anything done today at work.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-05-2007, 10:40 AM
This game is going to come down to points. Whoever has the most at the end of the 4th qtr should come away with a victory.

htismaqe
01-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Herm and Ditka are correct. People who think the Chiefs will be able to effectively blitz Manning and cause him to make mistakes aren't aware that: (a) Manning has only been sacked something like 8 times at home all year, (b) the Chiefs blitzes are usually pretty poor, (c) the Colts are a fast team, indoors going against a somewhat slow and aged defensive backs group.

Like it or not, forcing Manning to take the short stuff is the way to go. You hope that on some short passes Allen or Hali get some pressure and force an errant throw. You hope Surtain and Law jump a pass or two. You hope DJ and Wesley get some good licks on receivers as they come across the middle. The more times he has to convert 3rd downs, the more opportunity for mistake and an eventual punt.

Which brings us to the offense. Eat the clock and go for touchdowns. Settling for field goals won't cut it. I think the game will hinge on 3rd down defense. Which team can hold up more often on 3rd down.

Yep. All-out blitzes tend to lead to getting burned, especially when the QB is Peyton Manning.

RedThat
01-05-2007, 12:24 PM
We have to blitz some. Sorry but, i dont feel confident our front 4 is going to get pressure on Manning.

The Colts have one of the best offense lines in football. I know we're not the best blitzing team, but this Saturday, we better be effective at it. The last thing I want to see is this team giving Manning time all day to deliver the football.

Why don't we blitz Sapp anymore? I dont understand it? He is a great blitzer, why not use him to get to the quarterback? Why not blitz DJ?
He's quick. Its funny how a lot of us say the Chiefs aren't an effective blitzing team, but you ever notice they hardly blitz Sapp? And anytime they do, he gets there! Or even DJ? And when we do blitz DJ, he can get there too. You need speed to get to the QB, and I think those guys have it.

Itd be nice to see those guys come off the edge. I notice we never line up Hali in the middle anymore? Or even blitz him off the edge.

I think we have to mix it up. We dont have to blitz all the time, even if we disguise our blitzes thats cool too. But i definately want to see this team utilize our CB's skills. I want to see constant jamming by our CBs on the WR's at the line of scrimmage. Knock those guys off balance, that way they disrupt the timing off their routes. That'll give us a chance to make things happen defensively.

*I just hope the Chiefs dont let Manning and company get comfortable, thats the last thing I want to see. This team can't give him every opportunity to pick them apart. We have to confuse him, and make him uncomfortable. The Chiefs should be studying film from NE and Pittsburgh on how to play Peyton Manning, without a doubt.