PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: King Carl Needs to Return

DeezNutz
01-06-2007, 09:23 AM
King Carl needs win to return to throne
By JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

Previous columns
INDIANAPOLIS | Qualifying for the playoffs was good for first-year Chiefs coach Herman Edwards.

Winning today would be good for 18-year Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson.

An upset of the Indianapolis Colts in this afternoon’s AFC first-round playoff game would relieve a teeny bit of the pressure on KC’s welcome-worn general manager. A playoff triumph for the first time since 1993 would allow Peterson to hold his head high on The Plaza and sell the notion that the Chiefs are making progress under his direction.

Bottom line: A victory over the Colts would shut up Jack Harry and open the door for Peterson to raise ticket prices for the first time in a decade without Harry melting down on air.

Making the playoffs doesn’t do that. Peterson’s critics will claim the Chiefs were lucky and didn’t earn their way in.

Nope. Getting into the tournament doesn’t cut it for Carl, and it shouldn’t. We’ve seen the Chiefs advance to the playoffs and quickly bow out once the competition elevated.

So far, only Edwards’ resume has benefited from the Broncos’ collapse, the Bengals’ fade and Tennessee’s return to reality.

Peterson has more work to do. If the Chiefs lose today — especially if quarterback Trent Green plays poorly — Peterson will suffer the wrath of Chiefs fans. He’ll be blamed for Green playing ahead of popular backup Damon Huard and whatever else may go wrong.

A playoff victory would reinvigorate Peterson’s franchise and give him back a piece of the credibility he’s watched evaporate since Marty Schottenheimer bolted town after the ’98 season.

Peterson’s Kansas City credibility hit rock bottom this season. His prized tight end, Tony Gonzalez, acknowledged that he wouldn’t mind chasing a Super Bowl in another city. Chiefs fans are so frustrated with Peterson’s leadership that they’ve turned on Green, a symbol of Peterson’s inability to draft and develop a quarterback.

On the day that Lamar Hunt died, I wrote a sarcastic column mocking Peterson and myself for our inability to lead this franchise to the Super Bowl. I announced I was stepping down as assistant general manager and basically called for Peterson to follow my lead. When Hunt passed during the evening, my editors (thankfully) pulled the column because it would have been in poor taste on such a sad day in our sports world.

After the Cleveland and Baltimore losses, Peterson’s KC rulership was like Tony Soprano at the beginning of season six of “The Sopranos.” His career was in a coma, occasionally floating in and out of consciousness.

If Larry Johnson rips through Indy’s soft run defense and the Chiefs pull off the upset that everyone is predicting, Peterson will be the biggest winner. His Chiefs will be exciting again. Arrowhead Stadium is going to undergo a major renovation.

And, next week, Peterson’s Chiefs will get to take on the hardest-luck-playoff coach in the history of the league.

Think about it. A victory today means Peterson is a Marty Schottenheimer choke job away from the AFC championship.

Oh. My. God. Do you remember the Carl Peterson of the mid-1990s? If the Chiefs win two playoff games, King Carl will be back wearing kilts, parking in handicap parking spots and wearing black leather in July. It would be like the remake of “Shaft.”

It’s almost enough to make you root for the Colts today.

But no way. I want the King back. I liked Carl when he had a swagger and thought he was doing everyone in Kansas City a favor by sharing his airspace. It’s no fun making fun of Peterson when he’s crying on the inside.

It’s not as if Clark Hunt is going to fire Peterson, so we might as well all hail the King.

DeezNutz
01-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Ok--I know that I'm a blind homer, but if 1 in 160 hit last weekend, aren't the odds greater of carving up a soft run defense and then having a rookie quarterback leave a warm puddle under his feet in SD? If I were near some felt, my chips would still be on the table.

Coach
01-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Bottom line: A victory over the Colts would shut up Jack Harry and open the door for Peterson to raise ticket prices for the first time in a decade without Harry melting down on air.

LMAO

Harry always melt down while on air, regardless of if it's the Chiefs.

FringeNC
01-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Ok--I know that I'm a blind homer, but if 1 in 160 hit last weekend, aren't the odds greater of carving up a soft run defense and then having a rookie quarterback leave a warm puddle under his feet in SD? If I were near some felt, my chips would still be on the table.

A rough calculation of the odds based on my guess of what the Vegas moneyline would be on the games....about 50 to 1 of going to the Superbowl...which was about exactly the odds of us getting to the playoffs last week...

3:1 of beating Indy today
4:1 of beating San Diego
4:1 of beating NE / Baltimore

Eleazar
01-06-2007, 09:41 AM

Oh, if it's not one thing it's going to be another. I swear, sometimes I wonder if Harry secretly dresses in blue and orange on gamedays and has a Donkeys tattoo on his asz.

DeezNutz
01-06-2007, 09:43 AM
A rough calculation of the odds based on my guess of what the Vegas moneyline would be on the games....about 50 to 1 of going to the Superbowl...which was about exactly the odds of us getting to the playoffs last week...

3:1 of beating Indy today
4:1 of beating San Diego
4:1 of beating NE / Baltimore

Nice work. But are you saying that our playoff odds were 50:1? The best I heard was 76:1.

KCTitus
01-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Jack Harry doesnt need playoff misses or playoff losses to act the ass about KC. All it takes is a Larry Johnson draft pick...anything really.

Jason, you should have gone ahead with that column mocking Peterson and not pulled it. It's probably some of your best work. Besides, when was 'good taste' ever a factor in some of your columns?

FringeNC
01-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Nice work. But are you saying that our playoff odds were 50:1? The best I heard was 76:1.

Actually, 50 to 1 and 76 to 1 are pretty similar...the difference between a 2% chance and a 1+% chance...When the odds get that high, doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

DeezNutz
01-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Actually, 50 to 1 and 76 to 1 are pretty similar...the difference between a 2% chance and a 1+% chance...When the odds get that high, doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Ok, point taken. I still like to go with 160:1. It makes the feat seem more impressive, and, as I grow older, the number will continue to increase as I tell the story to others. :)

dirk digler
01-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Great article except the piece about Carl staying :)

Hammock Parties
01-06-2007, 10:23 AM
I love Whitlock! I'd like to read that piece that was pulled.

shaneo69
01-06-2007, 10:48 AM
King Carl needs win to return to throne
By JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

Do you remember the Carl Peterson of the mid-1990s? If the Chiefs win two playoff games, King Carl will be back wearing kilts, parking in handicap parking spots and wearing black leather in July. It would be like the remake of “Shaft.”

It’s almost enough to make you root for the Colts today.

Yeah, Chiefs winning is like a double-edged sword. Sure, it's nice when your favorite team wins a wild-card game and you can rub it in to Donkey fans, but on the other hand, Carl gets credit for a playoff win, an excuse to raise ticket prices, and another ten years to produce a Super Bowl team.

Deberg_1990
01-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Unless we go to the Super Bowl and win (not happening) Carl needs to step down.

Realistically, he wont leave until his contract is up in 3 years though.

Carl got a huge break when the Chiefs made the playoffs. The focus shifted off of him for at least one more week. Media and fans are still basking in the playoff euphoria.