PDA

View Full Version : Your Keys to the Game?

CosmicPal
01-06-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm not concerned about our offense. Our running game ought to set up short play actions to keep the drives alive, and a few long balls to keep the defense off the line of scrimmage. I think a smart offense is a good defense for us. Duh.

But, I think the true key to the game will be the play of our safeties and our defensive line- particularly Jared and Tamba Hali. If our ends can generate constant pressure and force Manning OUT of the pocket, then I believe our safeties can manage the zones better and we can stop them a couple of times.

And that, my friends, is why we can win this game.

Pierce
01-06-2007, 12:23 PM
We need to be unpredictable on offense.

The Colts have probably studied game film of our Run-Run-Pass offense. They are going to do everything in their power to stop LJ and make Green beat them. They are going to STACK the box - guaranteed.

Mixing in Play Action is a must. Throwing on first down once in a while would be good, too. The Colts know we are going to try and run it down their throats. Mix it up a little and keep them off balance.

That, and we need to get pressure on Manning from our front four (which probably isn't going to happen).

HonestChieffan
01-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Grind up time, convert damn 3rd downs, get some passing on first down, involve TONY

PLEASE get some pressure up front.

KChiefer
01-06-2007, 12:25 PM
HIT 'EM IN DA MOUTH!!!!

Deberg_1990
01-06-2007, 12:25 PM
control the clock and win the turnover battle.

Whoever has the least amount of turnovers will win( exactly why im worried about Green)

TinyEvel
01-06-2007, 12:26 PM
I agree wtih all of the above (even "Hit em in da mouth!")
So, my only Key left to add is KEYstone Light! :toast:

CosmicPal
01-06-2007, 12:30 PM
That, and we need to get pressure on Manning from our front four (which probably isn't going to happen).

True dat. I'd love to see Allen and Hali play with the sort of wild abandonment and fierce tenacity their personalities suggest- I'd love to see them both scrape Manning on every play, but Indy's OL is too good.

If that duo can be super today, I like our chances. Otherwise, if we give Manning all day in the pocket- he'll rip our defense apart.

Deberg_1990
01-06-2007, 12:32 PM
I forgot to mention that special teams could be huge today. Indy's isnt very good and we have a couple of potential difference makers in Pollard and Hall.

Tynes better bring his A kicking game. No misses from his usual 40 yard range.

chief52
01-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Touchdowns...not field goals! Key to the game IMO.

Hydrae
Score the most points and we are a lock to win the game [/Madden]

Fish
I think the turnover margin is going to be very important in the game...

Adept Havelock
01-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Score more points than the Colts. :shrug:

Mr. Laz
01-06-2007, 12:36 PM
1. the team has to play well (nothing else matters if they don't)

2. an unpredictable and quality gameplan on both sides of the ball is mandatory when playing a team that is better than you.

siberian khatru
01-06-2007, 12:37 PM
1. Be turnover-free
2. Force turnovers
3. Score touchdowns
4. Force field goals

Do whatever it takes to accomplish that -- play-action, draws, throw on first down, blitz, play bump-and-run, whatever.

Frazod
01-06-2007, 12:39 PM
I remember the last playoff game, Manning absolutely terrified our defense. He'd do his gay elf dance behind the line before every play, and you could feel the fear and confusion radiating from the defense. He not only got inside their heads - he moved in and made himself comfortable. I don't think the detards had ten positive plays the entire game, and of course we all know how it turned out.

This simply cannot happen today. With the improved personnel we have I don't think it will.

Coach
01-06-2007, 12:40 PM
The Chiefs need to be creative and create confusion for Peyton's PROTECTION. There's not much the Chiefs can do coverage wise to confuse Manning, but confusing the offensive line is paramount to stopping the passing attack. And everybody knows that Peyton loves to invite the blitzes. For example: The Steelers didn't blitz Manning last year until the second half...when the Colts mounted their comeback. Patriots in 03... nope, they ran mostly cover 2.

I would hope that the Chiefs' plan is to keep their front 7 moving all over the place before the snap, bringing different guys to confuse the offensive line.

For our defense, could the wildcard be "The Falcon"?

Seriously, it's the playoffs, we've barely ran the defense all year, now is the time for the all-out attack, the ace up the sleeve. They won't have practiced for it. They won't be ready to face it at all, and is now is the time for it?

The only good reason I could think of to not using it is that we want to save it for the Chargers and don't want to tip our hand to Marty. Then again, we've got to get there first, and this would be the best way to confuse the Colts Offense.

Deberg_1990
01-06-2007, 12:44 PM
The Chiefs need to be creative and create confusion for Peyton's PROTECTION. There's not much the Chiefs can do coverage wise to confuse Manning, but confusing the offensive line is paramount to stopping the passing attack. And everybody knows that Peyton loves to invite the blitzes. For example: The Steelers didn't blitz Manning last year until the second half...when the Colts mounted their comeback. Patriots in 03... nope, they ran mostly cover 2.

I would hope that the Chiefs' plan is to keep their front 7 moving all over the place before the snap, bringing different guys to confuse the offensive line.

For our defense, could the wildcard be "The Falcon"?

Seriously, it's the playoffs, we've barely ran the defense all year, now is the time for the all-out attack, the ace up the sleeve. They won't have practiced for it. They won't be ready to face it at all, and is now is the time for it?

The only good reason I could think of to not using it is that we want to save it for the Chargers and don't want to tip our hand to Marty. Then again, we've got to get there first, and this would be the best way to confuse the Colts Offense.

I agree. This is the type of game you dont hold back. You pull out all the stops. Use every trick in the book.

mississippichiefan
01-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Being unpredictable and a BIG day from Trent because I think we must have lots of playaction to win this game . Go Chiefs !!!!!!

FreeSafety36
01-06-2007, 01:12 PM
The "duh" answer is also the most correct one in my opinion. It's give the ball to L.J. and get some pressure on Manning. Ty Law needs to be jamming Marvin Harrison off the line on every single play.

For those who don't know me, I'm a Bills fan, but I'm sort of adopting the Chiefs as the team I'm pulling for in the playoffs. The above is the way Buffalo almost knocked off the Colts in Indianapolis, and with Willis McGahee out of the game. J.P. Losman attempted 12 total passes in that game, with Anthony Thomas (go ahead and laugh, I know) carrying the load and Rian Lindell missing a chip shot 4th quarter FG, the Colts escaped with a 17-16 win.

There's no question that Anthony Thomas (or Mcgahee for that matter) doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with L.J. Nate Clements, who is a very good CB, shut down Marvin Harrison by jamming him on the line every single play. Ty Law can do the same. Tamba Hali and Jared Allen can generate as much or more pressure as Aaron Schobel and Chris Kelsay.

Bob Sanders is one of the best safeties in the league vs. the run, but I like the Chiefs' chances with him taking on L.J. One of the biggest keys, I think, is whether Sanders plays like he did against the Patriots, or like he did against the Titans. If it's the former, some well-timed play actions and screens will be vital. If it's the latter, 27 could have a career day.

Good luck KC!

KC Jones
01-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Hali and Allen need to come up big. They need to find a way to hit Manning without us needing to blitz. If we can manage that in addition to playing keep away by running the ball down their throats I like our chances.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-06-2007, 01:23 PM
We CANNOT play butt sex football. We have to mix it up and throw some play-action in there. I agree with Herm in that we have to contain the first 5 minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarters.

The key, though, is the defense. If we can contain Manning and Addai, we'll be fine, because I think we can get what we want on offense.

Easy 6
01-06-2007, 01:35 PM
My key would be to have Jared walk back there, completely palm manning by the face, then lift him high into the air & SLAM him into the turf with 1 mighty arm like some Mortal Kombat scene.

suds79
01-06-2007, 01:37 PM
I think a huge key to the game is to ALWAYS have a TE next to Jordan Black to help pass block.

Because any play where Jordan Black has to block Dwight Freeney one on one in pass protection is an immediate sack.

There probably isn't a bigger mismatch in football than that one.

Got to have the TE chip Freeney on every pass play.

QuikSsurfer
01-06-2007, 01:38 PM
we have to bring pressure up the middle.. that's probably out of the question with our dt's but we can blitz. manning is pretty awful when he has to throw on the run and outside the pocket. collapsing the middle is the key - don't let manning step up in the pocket and shred us.

whoppy
01-06-2007, 01:40 PM
ty law not getting burn today is a big key to this game

and pressure on peyton all day
take him out

we know lj will get his yards

but will trent show up?

bleed red

suds79
01-06-2007, 01:43 PM
ty law not getting burn today is a big key to this game

and pressure on peyton all day
take him out

we know lj will get his yards

but will trent show up?

bleed red

I agree with the Chiefs pregame 810 show (Soren Petro). If Trent continues to struggle as he has, I hope Herm doesn't wait until it's too late to pull him.

IMO, if Trent is looking bad, throws a pick and Herm doesn't pull him until we're 14 down, then that's too late.

Herm is going to have to keep a close eye on how Trent looks in the first couple of drives.

Calcountry
01-06-2007, 01:44 PM
What I want to see most, is intensity on the Defensive side. I want to hear shoulder pads popping like thunder claps. I want open field BOOM and the Colts guy goes DOWN type tacles, ALL DAY. I want pressure on Manning ALL DAY. He needs to be sacked, and if not sacked hurried, moved, harrassed. His passes need to be tipped, swatted at, deflected, and INTERCEPTED!.

If we do all that, our offense will score just a few more points than the Colts.

For reference, see how the 49ers played against the Broncos on last Sunday.

Attitude, even if we lost, and gave that kind of effort, I would be pleased.

Calcountry
01-06-2007, 01:46 PM
I agree with the Chiefs pregame 810 show (Soren Petro). If Trent continues to struggle as he has, I hope Herm doesn't wait until it's too late to pull him.

IMO, if Trent is looking bad, throws a pick and Herm doesn't pull him until we're 14 down, then that's too late.

Herm is going to have to keep a close eye on how Trent looks in the first couple of drives.The biggest problem with Trent in the 06 Chiefs offense, is that he may make a couple of throws in the first drive that leads to a score, but it won't give you much info because we ran it 12 other times.

Then he oopses sometime later in the game.

Coach
01-06-2007, 01:47 PM
And here's another big key.

Tackling. The Chiefs are going to have to tackle. Not that soft pussy shit hit we saw aganist the Jagoffs game.

ChiefaRoo
01-06-2007, 02:25 PM
IMO KC needs to score more to win. If they do that it'll be key.

God of Thunder
01-06-2007, 02:57 PM
score more points than they do.

God of Thunder
01-06-2007, 02:57 PM
I just want to get to 100 post.s

God of Thunder
01-06-2007, 02:58 PM
really bad.