PDA

View Full Version : Any chance that Herm will follow Tony Dungy and Marty Shottenheimer's lead?

jAZ
01-06-2007, 07:34 PM
And recognize that it's ok to have a dynamic, quick strike offense?

If Marty doesn't shut down the O in the playoffs, I can easily see him winning his first in SD.

:banghead:

Brock
01-06-2007, 07:38 PM
I'd rather he follow the lead of a coach who can actually win a super bowl.

MichaelH
01-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Herm will follow what he understands. Right now, I'm not sure what that is.

el borracho
01-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Not likely to change his philosophies over a loss he expected. Anyway, without an Oline and some WRs it won't matter what offensive philosophy we adopt.

jAZ
01-06-2007, 07:42 PM
I'd rather he follow the lead of a coach who can actually win a super bowl.
That's fair, but I'd actually expect that he might follow the lead of his 2 biggest coaching mentors.

Hell, you could obviously add Dick Vermeil to that list of mentors.

All 3 have coached amazingly powerful offenses. Marty and Dungy are both defense-first coaches that I think Herm admires as coaches. Both figured out what Herm seems unwilling to accept.

Rain Man
01-06-2007, 07:44 PM
I don't think Dungy learned. I think he just landed in a spot with Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison. If not for that luck, he wouldn't have any more offense than any other Marty disciple.

The only reason Marty's teams are doing okay is that apparently Marty is being overruled.

This entire coaching lineage needs to be removed from the league. We need a huge coachicide campaign against that bloodline.

Silock
01-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Or, he could follow Bill Cowher and win a SB by attempting the lowest number of rushing attempts in the league.

Deberg_1990
01-06-2007, 07:50 PM
and what championships has Dungy and Shitteyheimer ever won???

Please tell me...

jAZ
01-06-2007, 07:53 PM
I don't think Dungy learned. I think he just landed in a spot with Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison. If not for that luck, he wouldn't have any more offense than any other Marty disciple.
Tony learned something that Herm didn't. Don't deconstruct the most powerful offense in the entire league. Let them play and chew up time on the clock by scoring touchdowns on 1 out of 2.5 drives.
The only reason Marty's teams are doing okay is that apparently Marty is being overruled.
I think it was either Ladanian Tomlinson or one of the hosts during his interview in the post game show... but they mentioned that Marty actually learned and this season he turned all control of the offense (sans artificial restrictions, it sounded like) to Cameron.

Both are examples of things that Herm seems to have refused to do. And both seem like excellent role models for a modification of Herm's agenda in the offseason.

jAZ
01-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Or, he could follow Bill Cowher and win a SB by attempting the lowest number of rushing attempts in the league.
The entire Marty tree (sans Herm) has accepted the role of a powerful offense in helping out the defense.

Silock
01-06-2007, 08:12 PM
The entire Marty tree (sans Herm) has accepted the role of a powerful offense in helping out the defense.

And oddly enough, the one with a SB ring is the one that stuck to the run first, play defense philosophy.

DaWolf
01-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Herm took over this team and saw a team without a true top receiver and a deteriorating OL.

Look, all you Herm bashers, just look at what Al Saunders did in Washington. Oh my goodness, his playcalling and gameplanning didn't make an ounce of difference. You know why? HIS PERSONNEL WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

You expect to get the same production out of an offense that just isn't the same anymore. That is absurd...

jAZ
01-06-2007, 08:24 PM
And oddly enough, the one with a SB ring is the one that stuck to the run first, play defense philosophy.
Cower did it was major talent at all of the offensive skill positions. Rothlisberger, Parker, Bettis, Ward, Burress.

If Marty had that talent on offense along with an endless pool of defensive achievers like Pittsburgh has had... you can win a super bowl with just about any philosphy.

When you have modest talent on both sides of the ball like KC (and SD to a large extent) then you need to be less predictable on offense.

jAZ
01-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Herm took over this team and saw a team without a true top receiver and a deteriorating OL.

Look, all you Herm bashers, just look at what Al Saunders did in Washington. Oh my goodness, his playcalling and gameplanning didn't make an ounce of difference. You know why? HIS PERSONNEL WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

You expect to get the same production out of an offense that just isn't the same anymore. That is absurd...
I don't.

I agree that much of the problem is Roaf leaving (almost singularly). But when talent falls off, scheme is the only variable that you have to optimize performance.

We fell off in both talent and scheme. We need to improve both, but salary cap forces the improvement to come from the scheme during the season.

Silock
01-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Cower did it was major talent at all of the offensive skill positions. Rothlisberger, Parker, Bettis, Ward, Burress.

If Marty had that talent on offense along with an endless pool of defensive achievers like Pittsburgh has had... you can win a super bowl with just about any philosphy.

When you have modest talent on both sides of the ball like KC (and SD to a large extent) then you need to be less predictable on offense.

Roethlisberger is highly overrated. Yes, they had options and skill, but none of those guys are head and shoulders above everyone else in the league at their respective positions. They just get the job done.

ChiefsCountry
01-06-2007, 08:30 PM
I still think if Roaf hadnt retired, we would have the same old wide open flying offense. With a freeway into the backfield, it was eaiser to go into conservate football mode.

jAZ
01-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Roethlisberger is highly overrated. Yes, they had options and skill, but none of those guys are head and shoulders above everyone else in the league at their respective positions. They just get the job done.
As a unit, they are head and sholders above any unit Marty ever had in KC. That's my comparison. Had Marty had Trent, Priest and TG through his time in KC (along with our past OL and D)... we would have won several SB's with Marty ball. We didn't have the talent to play Marty ball and win with it.

Marty figured that out. Tony understands that too. DV clearly understood the need for offense, if he didn't understand the D side.

I think Herm has the potential to be a world champion coach if he grasps the value of maximizing two points (best O and best D possible), rather than maximizing one point (best D and sufficent O).

jAZ
01-06-2007, 08:36 PM
I still think if Roaf hadnt retired, we would have the same old wide open flying offense. With a freeway into the backfield, it was eaiser to go into conservate football mode.
That's entirely possible.