PDA

View Full Version : Shell gone!

Over-Head
01-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Sorry if it’s a re-post

Ok, not like we didn’t see it coming, BUT!
Who the f*** is gonna be crazy enough to take the job?

Shell doomed by players' remarks; Davis listened
01-07) 04:00 PST Seattle -- Another chapter closes on Art Shell's checkered employment history with the Raiders. And yet the coach's dismissal Thursday, after the team posted all-time blights in offensive numbers and their worst record (2-14) in four decades, was not as carefully planned as you might have been led to believe.
When Shell presided over his season-ending news conference last Monday, he fully believed he would return for 2007 -- unlike, say, Bill Callahan or Norv Turner, both of whom saw pink slips dangling weeks before their regular seasons ended in misery. We've outlined the reasons why Shell felt secure. He knew owner Al Davis owed him $2 million in the last year of a two-year contract. He knew Davis would be reluctant to admit he made a mistake hiring a coach who had been out of the game so long he didn't know his team played video games on the team charter. He figured Davis would give him that last year to further employ discipline and hopefully turn the team around. Then came Tuesday, when Davis went to his No. 1 method of gauging a coach's worth. The Raiders' czar began calling his players. One by one, veteran Raiders refused to endorse Shell. Many of them spoke of a team-wide revolt that eventually took hold, a mental shutdown in defiance of the disorganized practices, emotionless team meetings and general feeling of hopelessness. They denounced Shell's uneven coaching performance, citing the coach's season-long mishandling of temperamental wide receiver Jerry Porter as an obvious personal grudge. Players also spoke of a double standard in the way Shell and his staff seemed to coddle moody wide receiver Randy Moss yet punitively or arbitrarily targeted others for the bench. Players also said they had no confidence in the offensive scheme or the ability of Shell and his hand-picked offensive staff to teach or to inspire. And no one needed to remind Davis that while the defense finished third overall in the NFL, the Raiders ended up with the No. 1 overall draft pick. What more did Davis need to hear? So that Wednesday meeting with Shell, originally designed to assess the season and determine how the Raiders would proceed, ended up becoming a lengthy exit interview. The debate was over dollars, not making the offensive line better. What's most astonishing is that Shell has yet to receive a settlement from Davis regarding that $2 million remaining on his contract. The former coach packed his belongings and left the Raiders' Alameda facility by Friday morning without a check in his hand. Now the franchise begins yet another head-coaching search. Yet despite the horrible recent track record, the Raiders' job is actually more attractive to outside candidates than before. Let's be frank. Davis, 77, is a year older than when Shell came back onboard. The presence of a top-rated defense means half the battle is won. The power that comes with holding a No. 1 overall draft pick can transform a struggling franchise, whether that means drafting Brady Quinn or swapping the position for a bounty of lower-round picks and perhaps a player or two. Davis and Shell came together in 2006 because the Raiders had been spurned by so many others and Shell was a backup choice. Shell also honestly believed he could change the culture in Alameda. That will not change until Davis is gone. This is sacrosanct in Raider Land. Davis rules, the players get what they want. The coach is the scapegoat, the babysitter and the apologist. Shell, who once played for his former boss, should have known that better than anyone.

Coach
01-07-2007, 11:10 AM
The only way the Raiders are going to even compete is the day when Al Davis steps down.

Over-Head
01-07-2007, 11:15 AM
The only way the Raiders are going to even compete is the day when Al Davis steps down.
We had a great coach! Chuckie
We had a great QB Gannon
an injury and Al's interferance see's us at 2-14.
Ain't life grand?

Demonpenz
01-07-2007, 11:18 AM
they have a good defense. Sapp is playing hard. They might be 8-8 in no time.

Brock
01-07-2007, 11:23 AM
I don't see any reason to think the job is any more attractive than it has been the past few years. I can see Denny Green taking the job, because it's probably the only one he could get.

RNR
01-07-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't see any reason to think the job is any more attractive than it has been the past few years. I can see Denny Green taking the job, because it's probably the only one he could get.
They are talking to people about the OC position and much of the staff remains. No coach is going to be willing to hire on with a ready made staff. My guess is Rob Ryan.

Brock
01-07-2007, 11:33 AM
They are talking to people about the OC position and much of the staff remains. No coach is going to be willing to hire on with a ready made staff. My guess is Rob Ryan.

That might be their best move. Hell, if nothing else, he should be entertaining to watch.

Coach
01-07-2007, 11:33 AM

Well, that'd make sense. I mean Ryan has done a damn good job on that defense, despite being on the field way too long.

ping2000
01-07-2007, 11:40 AM

I don't think our future looks so bright either. We're old, we're slow, we're talent poor, our coaches are uninventive and slow to change, our QB's arm is dead and his brain is scrambled, our RB is a talented crybaby, our receivers can't catch the ball or get open, our owner died, we're up against the salary cap AGAIN, and our GM can't pick talent in the draft. Whoopee!!!! This is the same argument the State of Arkansas uses, "At least we're better than Mississippi!" 49th out of 50 still SUCKS!!!!!

RNR
01-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Well, that'd make sense. I mean Ryan has done a damn good job on that defense, despite being on the field way too long.
It would seem to be the best option right now as he would tow the company line, but is a good coach. Till the big man steps down we are stuck with yes men.

Brock
01-07-2007, 11:42 AM
I don't think our future looks so bright either. We're old, we're slow, we're talent poor, our coaches are uninventive and slow to change, our QB's arm is dead and his brain is scrambled, our RB is a talented crybaby, our receivers can't catch the ball or get open, our owner died, we're up against the salary cap AGAIN, and our GM can't pick talent in the draft. Whoopee!!!! This is the same argument the State of Arkansas uses, "At least we're better than Mississippi!" 49th out of 50 still SUCKS!!!!!

Speaking of not so bright...

Over-Head
01-08-2007, 07:01 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/07/SPGRDNE8U01.DTL

Raiders interviews to start

David White, Chronicle Staff Writer
Sunday, January 7, 2007

....... "Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is the only in-house candidate. He has not been given an interview date, and one source familiar with the search process said he had not been told an interview was imminent. "

..... Offensive coordinator John Shoop is not considered a candidate, and he's already working on a backup plan. He flew to North Carolina to interview with Tar Heels coach Butch Davis for the offensive coordinator job, three independent sources confirmed Saturday. North Carolina's Davis has already picked Raiders defensive assistant Chuck Pagano as his defensive coordinator. Shoop, an Al Davis-approved holdover from Turner's staff, started the season as tight ends coach, but took over play-calling duties with five games left in the season when Shell demoted Tom Walsh. The Raiders reportedly have expressed interest in former offensive coordinator Marc Trestman, now the offensive coordinator at North Carolina State. He is being considered as a future offensive coordinator, not the head coach. The Raiders must adhere to the Rooney Rule, which requires NFL teams to interview at least one minority candidate for head coaching vacancies. Former Arizona Cardinals coach Dennis Green, who interviewed with the Raiders in 2003, could get another sitdown to satisfy that clause. Louisville coach Bobby Petrino and former Giants coach Jim Fassel are also popular on candidate lists. If the search drags on, look for Cal's Jeff Tedford and Fresno State's Pat Hill to make the list of viable options, whether they're interested or not."

Skip Towne
01-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Can't Al Davis see that he is the problem?

ck_IN
01-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Pertino is off the table. Atlanta just hired him.

My sympathy for anything black & silver runs quite shallow but I do have some for Shell. By all accounts he's a good football guy and a classy individual. What possesed him to make a deal with the Raider devil?

As long as they let the inmates run the asylum; Porter, Moss, et all, they'll keep getting what they've gotten.

Oh well, it just means two easy wins a year for us.

Over-Head
01-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Can't Al Davis see that he is the problem?
That tool can't see the forest through teh fuggen trees!
But then again over half the NFL owners can't anyway.