PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Off-season Strategy

Warrior5
01-07-2007, 06:41 PM
I know there's already a littany of posts proposing changes for the upcoming season. Here's mine; up front I'll state that it's NOT a quick fix strategy, so sorry for the length.

Again, I say 2007 needs to be a rebuilding (vice re-tooling) year, so my recommended acquisition strategy is looking out 2 years. The Chiefs simply have (and will have) far too many glaring holes to correct in one season. My '07 acquisition strategy would focus on making a playoff run in 2008. Unless the Chiefs extend HUGE contracts to Gonzales and LJ, cap $ should not be an issue. Summary up front, rationale below.

FREE AGENCY:
Stud OLT under 30.
Stud WR under 30.

DRAFT:
1st pick = DT who can start immediately.
2nd pick = RT to develop.
3rd pick = RG to develop.
4th pick = kicker to challenge Tynes.
5th pick = defensive line depth.
6th pick = safety depth.

OFFENSE: the biggest disappointment of the season. Lost the best LT in the NFL (Roaf) to retirement, lost the best FB in the game (T-Rich) to the Vikings, and lost a decent RT (Welborn) to steroid suspension/temporary retirement. Shields’ age is catching up on him. No serious receiver threat, and Gonzo had to help the O-line in pass-protection. No wonder we dropped from #1 to #16, and simply sucked at Indy.

WR: Kennison is a good #2, but is older and may only have one year left; a possession guy at best. Sammie Parker has potential, but in his second year is still slow in developing and lacks maturity. Dante Hall still has it as a return guy, but struggles to get open as a receiver. Webb has tons of potential, but needs to develop quickly to become a starter. Sign a stud FA as #1 receiver.

TE: Hate to say it, but I think Gonzales is going to try for a Championship-caliber team. Hope I’m wrong - no one can replace a Tony Gonzales, but Dunn and a young Wilson are decent. No acquisition in ‘07.

LT: sucks. No current Chief can do the job. Sign a stud FA who has some years left.

LG: OK. Waters still has it, and Bober/Black provide decent depth. No acquisition in ‘07.

C: Wiegman is small but serviceable for now. Bober and Niswanger are young and can develop. No acquisition in ‘07.

RG: Shields will retire, if not now, then after ‘07. Haven’t seen Tre Stallings (rookie) play this year, but I think we have decent young depth that can develop for now. Move Black or Welborn inside to RG. Spend a mid- to late draft pick for depth.

RT: sucks, and no depth. Start Terry or Svitek in ‘07, and spend a high draft pick on a RT.

QB: Herm stated that Trent is the starter for 2007. I hope that’s not the case. He’ll be 37 next year, and has obviously lost a step or two. If he did retire, re-sign Huard for 3 years. Either way, Croyle needs to develop in ‘07. No acquisition in ‘07.

RB: LJ is still the man, and young. Give him a big 3-year extension. Bennett is excellent depth, and Priest Holmes may, MAYBE return next year (but I doubt it). No acquisition in ‘07.

FB: Cruz will be back from injury, and Wilson provides experienced depth. No acquisition in ‘07.

DEFENSE: BIG improvement, but still lacks a pocket-collapsing, run-stuffing DT; QBs had all-day to find receivers to convert on 3rd and long. Good news is the D is relatively young and improving.

CB: Law and Surtain are still solid, and Sapp and Maxey (rookie) are good depth. No acquisition in ‘07.

DE: Allen and Hali are studs. Wilkerson and C. Mitchell provide good depth. Cut Hicks. No acquisition in ‘07.

DT: our greatest need. Edwards is decent, Wilkerson is good depth. Re-sign Edwards. Cut Sims and do not re-sign Reed. First draft pick on a stud DT. Good rookie DTs can start immediately.

LB: a strength. OLB Johnson is a young stud. Mitchell is serviceable as MLB. OLB Bell finally showed some toughness late in the season. Fox, Griffin, and Grigsby are all good depth. No acquisition in ‘07.

S: Keep Knight. Cut Wesley NOW and start Page (rookie) at FS. Pollard (rookie) is good depth at SS, but in case of injury, spend a late draft pick on FS depth.

K: Tynes has been inconsistent. Missed some chip shot FGs, and still lacks depth on KOs. If a good kicker is available, spend a late mid- or late draft pick on a kicker.

P: Colquitt, as I knew he would be, is gold. He’ll be in the Pro-bowl next year. No acquisition in ‘07.

Build this in the '07 off-season, see where the holes are during the season, make your 2008 acquisitions (which I’ll work on this time next year), and make the run in ‘08.

Comments?

Hammock Parties
01-07-2007, 06:47 PM
There won't be any left tackles worth a crap in FA.

And I think blowing a 4th rounder on a kicker would be a huge mistake.

noa
01-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Unfortunately, there aren't any stud WRs on the free agent market. The only way we will upgrade the position is through the draft or a trade.
Also, despite the objections of some planeteers, Jordan Black is the left tackle of the future.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Oh, and there's no ****ing way Page isn't the starting free safety next year. None. I'd bet money on Pollard starting too.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Here are the wide receivers that will be available:

Marcus Robinson - He was recently released by the Minnesota Vikings. He could come in and play right away in a backup role.
Charles Rogers - Immense talent but a big underachiever. Tried out for a few teams recently but remains unsigned.
Peter Warrick - Good slot receiver and can return punts. Tried out for the New York Giants and Cincinnati Bengals recently.
Tyrone Calico - The oft-injured player has a ton of talent and could fill a team's No. 3 role or better down the road.
Randy Hymes - Big receiver that moves well. Could fill a team's No. 3 role. Tried out for a bunch of teams recently.
Kevin Johnson - Clearly the best free agent receiver out there and could fill a team's No. 3 role.
David Boston - Had a good camp with Tampa Bay and could fill a team's No. 3 role.
Johnnie Morton - Could still fill a role as a team's No. 3 receiver but could be retired.
Todd Pinkston - Needs to prove he hasn't lost a step despite coming back from a torn Achilles.
Patrick Johnson - Could fill a role as a team's fourth receiver.
Marc Boerighter - Could fill a role as a team's fourth receiver and has good size.
Troy Edwards - Decent option in the slot.
Derick Armstrong - Has good size and ability but has been an underachiever.
Rashaun Woods - Former first-round pick has been injured most of his short career.
Edell Shepherd - Released recently by Houston. Can return kicks or serve a No. 4 role for a team.
Scottie Vines
Eddie Berlin
John Stone
Jason McAddley
Jerome Pathon
Dez White
Jimmy Farris

shaneo69
01-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Does anyone know which Chiefs' contracts are up?

Besides Gonzo and Huard?

noa
01-07-2007, 06:53 PM
I think Kevin Curtis is a free agent too...did he re-sign already?

Hammock Parties
01-07-2007, 06:55 PM

Besides Gonzo and Huard?

Off the top of my head:

Tynes and Parker are the only others I can remember. Maybe Wesley?

Warrior5
01-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Oh, and there's no ****ing way Page isn't the starting free safety next year. None. I'd bet money on Pollard starting too.

Agreed on Page; good catch...I got my FS & SS mixed up. I still think Knight is the starter next year at SS. Edited my post.

shaneo69
01-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Here are the wide receivers that will be available:

Marcus Robinson - He was recently released by the Minnesota Vikings. He could come in and play right away in a backup role.
Charles Rogers - Immense talent but a big underachiever. Tried out for a few teams recently but remains unsigned.
Peter Warrick - Good slot receiver and can return punts. Tried out for the New York Giants and Cincinnati Bengals recently.
Tyrone Calico - The oft-injured player has a ton of talent and could fill a team's No. 3 role or better down the road.
Randy Hymes - Big receiver that moves well. Could fill a team's No. 3 role. Tried out for a bunch of teams recently.
Kevin Johnson - Clearly the best free agent receiver out there and could fill a team's No. 3 role.
David Boston - Had a good camp with Tampa Bay and could fill a team's No. 3 role.
Johnnie Morton - Could still fill a role as a team's No. 3 receiver but could be retired.
Todd Pinkston - Needs to prove he hasn't lost a step despite coming back from a torn Achilles.
Patrick Johnson - Could fill a role as a team's fourth receiver.
Marc Boerighter - Could fill a role as a team's fourth receiver and has good size.
Troy Edwards - Decent option in the slot.
Derick Armstrong - Has good size and ability but has been an underachiever.
Rashaun Woods - Former first-round pick has been injured most of his short career.
Edell Shepherd - Released recently by Houston. Can return kicks or serve a No. 4 role for a team.
Scottie Vines
Eddie Berlin
John Stone
Jason McAddley
Jerome Pathon
Dez White
Jimmy Farris

OMG---The comments on this list of rejects is hilarious. These are not #3 or #4 WR's. These are guys who are out of the league for a reason.

shaneo69
01-07-2007, 06:57 PM
I think Kevin Curtis is a free agent too...did he re-sign already?

Nope, he's unrestricted and will look to sign elsewhere as a starter.

Easy 6
01-07-2007, 06:57 PM
I know there's already a littany of posts proposing changes for the upcoming season. Here's mine; up front I'll state that it's NOT a quick fix strategy, so sorry for the length.

Again, I say 2007 needs to be a rebuilding (vice re-tooling) year, so my recommended acquisition strategy is looking out 2 years. The Chiefs simply have (and will have) far too many glaring holes to correct in one season. My '07 acquisition strategy would focus on making a playoff run in 2008. Unless the Chiefs extend HUGE contracts to Gonzales and LJ, cap $ should not be an issue. Summary up front, rationale below.

FREE AGENCY:
Stud OLT under 30.
Stud WR under 30.

DRAFT:
1st pick = DT who can start immediately.
2nd pick = RT to develop.
3rd pick = RG to develop.
4th pick = kicker to challenge Tynes.
5th pick = defensive line depth.
6th pick = safety depth.

OFFENSE: the biggest disappointment of the season. Lost the best LT in the NFL (Roaf) to retirement, lost the best FB in the game (T-Rich) to the Vikings, and lost a decent RT (Welborn) to steroid suspension/temporary retirement. Shields’ age is catching up on him. No serious receiver threat, and Gonzo had to help the O-line in pass-protection. No wonder we dropped from #1 to #16, and simply sucked at Indy.

WR: Kennison is a good #2, but is older and may only have one year left; a possession guy at best. Sammie Parker has potential, but in his second year is still slow in developing and lacks maturity. Dante Hall still has it as a return guy, but struggles to get open as a receiver. Webb has tons of potential, but needs to develop quickly to become a starter. Sign a stud FA as #1 receiver.

TE: Hate to say it, but I think Gonzales is going to try for a Championship-caliber team. Hope I’m wrong - no one can replace a Tony Gonzales, but Dunn and a young Wilson are decent. No acquisition in ‘07.

LT: sucks. No current Chief can do the job. Sign a stud FA who has some years left.

LG: OK. Waters still has it, and Bober/Black provide decent depth. No acquisition in ‘07.

C: Wiegman is small but serviceable for now. Bober and Niswanger are young and can develop. No acquisition in ‘07.

RG: Shields will retire, if not now, then after ‘07. Haven’t seen Tre Stallings (rookie) play this year, but I think we have decent young depth that can develop for now. Move Black or Welborn inside to RG. Spend a mid- to late draft pick for depth.

RT: sucks, and no depth. Start Terry or Svitek in ‘07, and spend a high draft pick on a RT.

QB: Herm stated that Trent is the starter for 2007. I hope that’s not the case. He’ll be 37 next year, and has obviously lost a step or two. If he did retire, re-sign Huard for 3 years. Either way, Croyle needs to develop in ‘07. No acquisition in ‘07.

RB: LJ is still the man, and young. Give him a big 3-year extension. Bennett is excellent depth, and Priest Holmes may, MAYBE return next year (but I doubt it). No acquisition in ‘07.

FB: Cruz will be back from injury, and Wilson provides experienced depth. No acquisition in ‘07.

DEFENSE: BIG improvement, but still lacks a pocket-collapsing, run-stuffing DT; QBs had all-day to find receivers to convert on 3rd and long. Good news is the D is relatively young and improving.

CB: Law and Surtain are still solid, and Sapp and Maxey (rookie) are good depth. No acquisition in ‘07.

DE: Allen and Hali are studs. Wilkerson and C. Mitchell provide good depth. Cut Hicks. No acquisition in ‘07.

DT: our greatest need. Edwards is decent, Wilkerson is good depth. Re-sign Edwards. Cut Sims and do not re-sign Reed. First draft pick on a stud DT. Good rookie DTs can start immediately.

LB: a strength. OLB Johnson is a young stud. Mitchell is serviceable as MLB. OLB Bell finally showed some toughness late in the season. Fox, Griffin, and Grigsby are all good depth. No acquisition in ‘07.

S: Keep Knight. Cut Wesley NOW and start Pollard (rookie) at FS. Page (rookie) is good depth at SS, but in case of injury, spend a late draft pick on depth.

K: Tynes has been inconsistent. Missed some chip shot FGs, and still lacks depth on KOs. If a good kicker is available, spend a late mid- or late draft pick on a kicker.

P: Colquitt, as I knew he would be, is gold. He’ll be in the Pro-bowl next year. No acquisition in ‘07.

Build this in the '07 off-season, see where the holes are during the season, make your 2008 acquisitions (which I’ll work on this time next year), and make the run in ‘08.

Comments?

I agree with most of this W5, with a few exceptions.

If TG goes we will need a serviceable TE, i would rather leave BIGFOOT where he is. He's been doing quite well there & he's only 6'1 or 6'2, not very good TE height.

The only guy on D that disappointed me yesterday was Edwards, i watched 4 run plays where he engaged his man & did nothing else as the RB blew by him. He didnt lunge or even shove an arm out there. I would rather keep a hustler like Reed.

I'm still intrigued with Pollard at OLB, speed(for a LB) & a fierce hitter. It seems like he's a lil slow on the uptake with coverages, atleast thats what we keep hearing.

But drafting a young & energetic DT is dead-on, same goes for finding a LT & WR through FA or trades.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Actually that list probably isn't complete. I think that's just the players available right now. I'm sure some guys will be coming free.

Warrior5
01-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Besides Gonzo and Huard?

I think this is the list:

UFAs:
TE Gonzales
QB Huard
RB Brown
T Black
LS Gammon
CB Walls
DT Edwards
DT Reed
LB Mitchell

RFAs:
FB Cruz
K Tynes
OT Sampson
WR Parker
CB Sapp
DE Allen
LB Griffin
LB Scanlon

shaneo69
01-07-2007, 07:07 PM
I think this is the list:

UFAs:
TE Gonzales
QB Huard
RB Brown
T Black
LS Gammon
CB Walls
DT Edwards
DT Reed
LB Mitchell

RFAs:
FB Cruz
K Tynes
OT Sampson
WR Parker
CB Sapp
DE Allen
LB Griffin
LB Scanlon

Thanks

Halfcan
01-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Tynes has sucked ass on kickoffs all year-and chokes on the big kicks. Cut his sorry ass.

Halfcan
01-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Maybe when Arrowhead is half full next year-Carl will finally get fired.