PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Petrino to Falcons?

Coach
01-07-2007, 08:18 PM
From Rotoworld:

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports Louisville's Bobby Petrino is the Atlanta Falcons' top choice to replace Jim Mora as head coach.

Pasquarelli says Atlanta and Petrino are currently working out a contract. Petrino runs a high-powered offense and Falcons officials believe he'll be able to get the most out Michael Vick, whose progression has seemed to plateau in recent years. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Sunday morning that Atlanta could name a new coach as early as Monday.

From KFFL

ESPNews reports Louisville head coach Bobby Petrino will be the next head coach for the Atlanta Falcons.

Basileus777
01-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Repost

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=156234

Coach
01-07-2007, 08:20 PM
ESPN now reporting they nabbed him away from Louisville.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2723700

Falcons nab Louisville's Petrino for head coach slot

Louisville coach Bobby Petrino has accepted a five-year, $24 million offer from the Atlanta Falcons to become their new coach, according to a Louisville source.

The Cardinals have a previously scheduled 9 p.m. ET team meeting at which Petrino will tell his players, the source said. ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reported that an NFL source also confirmed the hiring.

"I'm in shock right now," Louisville kicker Arthur Carmody told ESPN's Joe Schad Sunday night. "I'm about to walk into a team meeting right now. We're coming off a great Orange Bowl win and we were all thinking national championship. I didn't think this would happen. He said he enjoyed college football. He's a great coach and we're going to miss him."

An announcement from the Falcons could come Monday. ESPN's Chris Mortensen first reported earlier Sunday evening that the Falcons were in deep negotiations with Petrino.

Before the season, Petrino signed a 10-year, $25 million contract with Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich. Petrino had previously interviewed with Auburn, LSU, Notre Dame and the Oakland Raiders for other jobs, but announced in August that he would be at Louisville for the long haul.

"I can't tell you how happy I am with the commitment and the confidence that Tom Jurich has in me and the university has in me," Petrino said after signing the contract. "I also wanted to make sure that everyone understood, I know I've said it, that this is where my family wants to be. This is where I want to be. I want everyone to really believe it."

Louisville had just completed a 12-1 season climaxed by their first BCS bowl victory, over Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl. Petrino's record was 41-9 at Louisville, as he elevated the program into an annual national contender.

The leading candidate to replace Petrino figures to be Tulsa coach Steve Kragthorpe, who has taken the Golden Hurricane to three bowl games in four years after taking over one of the worst programs in the country.

Coach
01-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Goddammit! :cuss: