PDA

View Full Version : I think what bothers me most about last week....

PastorMikH
01-07-2007, 10:07 PM
I think what bothers me the most about last week is that for the first time in 3 years I actually had some hope and excitement about the Chiefs actually doing something. I had NO hope at all that DV would get anything done in his last year. From the time Herm was hire and throughout the season, I just has a wait and see attitude. Even when we were 7-3 I was thinking there was a chance that we might do something, but there was a lot of ball left to be played. Then, when we lost to the Browns, I pretty much lost hope in this year.

But when we managed to get in, and I got to thinking about the matchups, I felt that we ACTUALLY had a shot at doing something. I honestly thought we could beat the Colts. I thought that we could play with the rest of the AFC teams once we got going - even the Chargers. I pulled out the car door magnets that I pulled off two years ago and refused to put back on until the Chiefs were contenders. I was actually a bit dissapointed when I realized I would miss the game because of my daughter's basketball games, but I went anyway because that's where I knew I was supposed to be.

Then I get home. I read and watched what happened and I'm so frustrated right now. Rationally, I know that making the playoffs is at least a step in the right direction. But emotionaly I would have felt better right now if we hadn't made it - I've been conditioned for that outcome for several years now. At least then I wouldn't have had false hope built up and then smashed to bits and pieces.

I'll be a fan throughout the offseason, I'll be a fan next fall, I'll be a fan next year, this is my team. But WHY oh WHY did I have to fall in love with the Chiefs? Why couldn't it have been another team? Why did I have to pick a team that is content with mediocracy as long as the tickets sell?

Man it hurts. I just keep hoping that one day things will change. It probably won't, but a fan can hope.

I just had to get that off my chest.

Halfcan
01-07-2007, 10:10 PM
yep

Skip Towne
01-07-2007, 10:18 PM
I think what bothers me the most about last week is that for the first time in 3 years I actually had some hope and excitement about the Chiefs actually doing something. I had NO hope at all that DV would get anything done in his last year. From the time Herm was hire and throughout the season, I just has a wait and see attitude. Even when we were 7-3 I was thinking there was a chance that we might do something, but there was a lot of ball left to be played. Then, when we lost to the Browns, I pretty much lost hope in this year.

But when we managed to get in, and I got to thinking about the matchups, I felt that we ACTUALLY had a shot at doing something. I honestly thought we could beat the Colts. I thought that we could play with the rest of the AFC teams once we got going - even the Chargers. I pulled out the car door magnets that I pulled off two years ago and refused to put back on until the Chiefs were contenders. I was actually a bit dissapointed when I realized I would miss the game because of my daughter's basketball games, but I went anyway because that's where I knew I was supposed to be.

Then I get home. I read and watched what happened and I'm so frustrated right now. Rationally, I know that making the playoffs is at least a step in the right direction. But emotionaly I would have felt better right now if we hadn't made it - I've been conditioned for that outcome for several years now. At least then I wouldn't have had false hope built up and then smashed to bits and pieces.

I'll be a fan throughout the offseason, I'll be a fan next fall, I'll be a fan next year, this is my team. But WHY oh WHY did I have to fall in love with the Chiefs? Why couldn't it have been another team? Why did I have to pick a team that is content with mediocracy as long as the tickets sell?

Man it hurts. I just keep hoping that one day things will change. It probably won't, but a fan can hope.

Hey, you're right where I was 10 years ago. It doesn't get any better so you just gradually lower your expectations. I can no longer trust this team from one game to the next. Back in the Stram days I was confident we would win every game we played. I was usually right. During the Marty days I was confident we would win every game we played. I was usually right. Since then, we have lost more than we have won and I don't trust them at all. Kind of a sickening feeling really. I don't want to talk about it.

siberian khatru
01-07-2007, 10:24 PM
I want to know why we can't just lose a playoff game the old-fashioned way -- without missing FGs or stepping on our dicks or having our coaches pull out the most god awful stupid game plans.

Why couldn't we have rushed for 150 yards and just been beaten 28-20 or something, with Manning putting together a couple of better drives than we did? Something where we could say, Oh, well, good game, tough fight, we gave our best, etc.

Instead, the possessors of Larry Johnson make one of the worst run D's IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL look like the 2000 Ravens or the 85 Bears or the 76 Steelers. I mean, WHAT -- THE -- F*CK? How in the holy HELL do you do something like that?

BIG K
01-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Hey, you're right where I was 10 years ago. It doesn't get any better so you just gradually lower your expectations. I can no longer trust this team from one game to the next. Back in the Stram days I was confident we would win every game we played. I was usually right. During the Marty days I was confident we would win every game we played. I was usually right. Since then, we have lost more than we have won and I don't trust them at all. Kind of a sickening feeling really. I don't want to talk about it.

That pretty much sums up my feelings as well...Excellent post Skip!

Easy 6
01-07-2007, 10:29 PM
It wasnt just you or i who thought we could wax the colts, we couldnt have asked for a more tailor made matchup.

To lose the way we did, to a D like indys was despicable, no 2 ways about it.

I will hang my hat on the performance our D gave & hope that it carries over. They really impressed me with that showing. Thats what i will look to for 07......what else can i do???

PastorMikH
01-07-2007, 10:33 PM

I was here 10 years ago too. But I was younger and more naive back then. I also liked the concept that Gunther brought about big, physical, "I'm tougher than you" play. He just couldn't pull it off, nor maintain his sanity for an entire season.

88TG88
01-07-2007, 10:55 PM
I want to know why we can't just lose a playoff game the old-fashioned way -- without missing FGs or stepping on our dicks or having our coaches pull out the most god awful stupid game plans.

Why couldn't we have rushed for 150 yards and just been beaten 28-20 or something, with Manning putting together a couple of better drives than we did? Something where we could say, Oh, well, good game, tough fight, we gave our best, etc.

Instead, the possessors of Larry Johnson make one of the worst run D's IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL look like the 2000 Ravens or the 85 Bears or the 76 Steelers. I mean, WHAT -- THE -- F*CK? How in the holy HELL do you do something like that?
i completely agree. thats what hurts me most at least go out with some f'ing respect

BIG K
01-07-2007, 10:56 PM
I was here 10 years ago too. But I was younger and more naive back then. I also liked the concept that Gunther brought about big, physical, "I'm tougher than you" play. He just couldn't pull it off, nor maintain his sanity for an entire season.

I watched the game yesterday with my best friend. Before the game started I told him that I felt watching the playoff game with him was bad luck since we both watched the 95', 97' and 03' playoff games together and the Chief's lost.

His reply was, "the Chief's have been losing playoff games way before we became fans".....

Who do we blame for this? CP, Trent, the offense, the defense? I honsetly don't know. For years (in the 90's) it was the offense. After 2000, it was the defense. This year, the offense again....

When will the cycle of mediocrity end?

Boyceofsummer
01-07-2007, 11:01 PM
I watched the game yesterday with my best friend. Before the game started I told him that I felt watching the playoff game with him was bad luck since we both watched the 95', 97' and 03' playoff games together and the Chief's lost.

His reply was, "the Chief's have been losing playoff games way before we became fans".....

Who do we blame for this? CP, Trent, the offense, the defense? I honsetly don't know. For years (in the 90's) it was the offense. After 2000, it was the defense. This year, the offense again....

SEE: The Chicago Cubs

Halfcan
01-07-2007, 11:09 PM
What bothers me is Herm coming to Solari's defense after making us the joke of the NFL.

Herm is sooo full of shit.

Halfcan
01-07-2007, 11:09 PM

When we fire that jackoff King Carl!!

SLAG
01-07-2007, 11:11 PM
SUCKAAA!!!

:p

sorry pastor

i think we all share your pain

dj56dt58
01-07-2007, 11:43 PM
It was hard to watch our D a few years ago when they couldn't stop anybody...but I prefer that high power offense and no D over this. At least we could dominate teams when our D played decent. I'll never forget that 56-10 dominating performance over Atlanta. 8 rushing tds against at the time the best run defense in the nfl. Damn I miss those days already. The Indy playoff game in 03 was at least fun to watch

Redcoats58
01-08-2007, 12:06 AM
I also have had alot of your same feelings Pastor. I have thought many times, why of all teams did I pick the Chiefs to root for? Well I look back, I grew up in Kansas City, my father, mother, and my two older brothers were all Chiefs fans. It was inevitable, I was destined to be a Chiefs fan. Also my wife and I have been known to have some pretty rotten luck so I guess you could say the Chiefs are a perfect fit for what we are used to.

I'll continue to root this team on through thick and thin, through the Carl Peterson's the Marty Schottenheimer's and Herm Edwards. I guess you could say I'm a glutton for punishment.

Demonpenz
01-08-2007, 12:09 AM
It bothers me because it was winnable. We just couldn't do shit on O. WE had a team that could atleast beat the colts. For once the chiefs D stepped up and if we could have gotten anything ANYTHING out of our O we had a real good shot. More than anything it hurts because it's Kansas City and anything Kansas City I am passionate about. I think the people here more than anywhere say. Listen here ****head. This is our city and we are going to get our guitars out and shred, drink, party, and love until we are in the ground baby. The mother ****ing chiefs and the mother ****ing royals. Until death these colors don't run. USA...USA!

Demonpenz
01-08-2007, 12:21 AM
i loves me some chiefs

Thig Lyfe
01-08-2007, 12:27 AM
i loves me some chiefs

At least the Eagles are still in it, eh?

Demonpenz
01-08-2007, 12:31 AM
Yeah I like the chiefs more though now. 5 years ago I hated the chiefs. I wanted to see them die for the years when i was 8 and 9 and 10. Then I started coming back around when my friends matt and botty watched the games. I found this place liked the people. Then I moved down here a couple years back and I finding more and more of a connection with the chiefs. There is something saying that it's stupid and they are millionaires and I can't control it, but for all the stupid shit that happens too me I can atleast try to focus on the chiefs. They give me some home and they provide alittle bit of daydreaming for me. I still like the eagles but the only players on that team that I really like are trottier and I actually like garcia. It is refreshing to see a gay person lead a team to 5 straight victories like he said after the game "The thailors really got it done up front!" Dawkins still kicks ass and I still like the eagles, but man I am rooting hard for the chiefs for what it does to this city and the people.

Easy 6
01-08-2007, 12:32 AM
At least the Eagles are still in it, eh?

Thats the only thing keeping me going, to be able to hear "Tequila Sunrise" just 1 more time.

PastorMikH
01-08-2007, 09:18 PM
The more I read from post season interviews and such, the worse I feel.

I am officially sick of Herm. Where he is wanting to take this team sickens me. He was handed an offense that could put up 30 points in 3 out of 4 games. He castrated this offense, now he wants to simplify it even more. There's no way we will attract FAs or keep players that are up for FA as long as things are headed in the direction that Herm indicates. ALL WE HAD TO DO WAS FIX THE D FOR A SERIOUS SB RUN!!! But NOOOOO!!!! Let's fix the D while we turn one of the best offenses of all time into an abomination.

I'm to the point that I am sick of football. I don't want to root for another team, I just want to put sports down for a while. I am to the point that I want to be a closet Chiefs fan (I'll still be one online where my true identity is clouded but in real life I almost feel embarassed right now for people to know I am a Chiefs fan).

I'm sick of mediocracy. We've mediocre for 10 years and I'm sick of it. I'm tired of people calling and laughing at me because of the way the Chiefs played on a given sunday (shoot, even the commish laughed at us). I know that the time will come when the frustration subsides and I will talk myself into having hope for the team again (well I think it will) but right now I'm lower on this team than I have ever been.

Oh, and for the record on Martyball, I would have greatly preffered Martyball Saturday over Hermball.

FAX
01-08-2007, 09:24 PM
I feel exactly the same way.

Herm is a media creation. That's it. The more I consider it, I don't think he gave a damn about our offense or our veteran offensive players from day one. Based on his "ball control" philosophy, he made a public commitment to LJ then proceeded to run him into the ground. As far as Gonzo and Trent are concerned, he's talked about his own accomplishments far more than theirs.

Herm is an overblown fool who thinks he can buffalo people with the "common eye" into believing his line. Veteran players won't buy it and neither will knowledgable fans. Herm should not be a head coach. He should be an assistant and that's it.

It's another round of seeing great talent go to waste in a Chiefs uniform. And another decade of nominal results in store.

FAX

PastorMikH
01-08-2007, 09:33 PM
It's another round of seeing great talent to to waste in a Chiefs uniform. And another decade of nominal results in store.

FAX

And we are getting ready to see another round of talent go to waste on the D side of the ball because the HC doesn't see a need to put together a balanced team.

All of the great teams over the last 10-15 years have 1 thing in common - they are BALANCED.

Marty has an O and a D in SD - this is probably his best shot ever at a SB run IMO.

Pitts last year had an O to go with the D they've had for years (and the refs)

New England - I don't even know which side of the ball is better - but I do know that I don't really look forward to either the O or the D.

When Tampa Bay won, Chucky left the D alone and fixed the O (Jeesh Herm, you should have at least noticed that one).

StL under DV had a top 10 D to compliment the Greatest Show on Turf

'97 & '98 don't apply since the team that won the SB those years cheated the salary cap to do so

Green Bay, Dallas, and the 49ers - they were BALANCED teams.

The ONLY team in the last 10-15 years that could be argued as not a balanced team was Baltimore - and they at least could manage the ball on O.

In the late 80s and erly 90s here we emphasized D and we struggled on O - Our best QB was 8 years beyond his prime and couldn't throw more than 30 yards.

DV turned it around. We had one of the best O's to play the game but put the D in the hands of a dufas that pushed to cut one of the best players we had at the time in Donnie Edwards.

Gunther probably fielded the most balanced team we've had in 20 years - both sides of the ball stunk.

Nzoner
01-08-2007, 09:34 PM
My recommendation is to try fantasy football,at least you have a much better shot at saying the words Football & Champion in the same sentence.

PastorMikH
01-08-2007, 09:38 PM
My recommendation is to try fantasy football,at least you have a much better shot at saying the words Football & Champion in the same sentence.

I'll probably just switch to college FB and root for the Tigers. :rolleyes:

:)

Actually, in all honesty, I watched the game as an OU fan, but I think I enjoyed watching Boise St play more than any other team, college or pro over the last several years. The kids showed a lot of heart and fire.

Simplex3
01-08-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm looking forward to two things:

1. The day King Carl is gone and I can start cheering for the Chiefs again.

2. The upcoming Titans season.

NaptownChief
01-08-2007, 09:42 PM
What bothers me most is how they approached the game. As a fan I for the first time really had a different feel about this playoff opportunity. Slipping in the back door with just a 9-7 record when all the odds were against us going into week 17 it just had a feel like we were playing with house money. Less pressure, less stress. I thought that would probably translate to the players and coaching staff and they would be more relaxed and willing to take some chances and gamble a little bit.

Oh no...they came out as stiff and conservative as you possibly could.

FAX
01-08-2007, 09:44 PM
No question, Mr. PastorMikH. I was a Hermer in the begiinning, too.

A lot of people are pointing to the loss of our big Willie and Trich as being the reasons for the drop in production. Another argument is that our execution in general has diminished due to age.

The fact is that, if Herm were half the coach he claims to be, he could have schemed to our strengths on offense this year and not our weaknesses. Instead, he telegraphed his offensive game plan to everyone under the sun, scaled back the playbook to a single page, and says that our rushing total was a good thing. Failing, of course, to mention that it took 8000 attempts to get there. It's Saddam's PR guy all over again. The result was converting one of the league's most potent offenses into a Taco John post.

As far as the defensive improvement is concerned, it's a mirage. We had a nice little draft and picked up some good players. We moved up in the rankings, but taken in context of our schedule, that means very little. Anyone who believes that a defense capable of giving up a 14 point, 4th quarter lead to the 2006 Browns doesn't have significant problems has cognitive issues.

As I've claimed before, Herm is an NFL project and the absolute worst thing that could happen to this team at the absolute worst time.

FAX

PastorMikH
01-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Oh no...they came out as stiff and conservative as you possibly could.

I was wondering, what happened to the Flea Flicker, the downfield passing, and all around aggresiveness we saw in week 17?

There was NOTHING in the game saturday. We were more vanilla on saturday than we have ever been in a pre-season game.

Did the players improvise on the field against the Jags and have to run laps for it the following week?

PastorMikH
01-09-2007, 12:00 AM
No question, Mr. PastorMikH. I was a Hermer in the begiinning, too.

A lot of people are pointing to the loss of our big Willie and Trich as being the reasons for the drop in production. Another argument is that our execution in general has diminished due to age.

The fact is that, if Herm were half the coach he claims to be, he could have schemed to our strengths on offense this year and not our weaknesses. Instead, he telegraphed his offensive game plan to everyone under the sun, scaled back the playbook to a single page, and says that our rushing total was a good thing. Failing, of course, to mention that it took 8000 attempts to get there. It's Saddam's PR guy all over again. The result was converting one of the league's most potent offenses into a Taco John post.

As far as the defensive improvement is concerned, it's a mirage. We had a nice little draft and picked up some good players. We moved up in the rankings, but taken in context of our schedule, that means very little. Anyone who believes that a defense capable of giving up a 14 point, 4th quarter lead to the 2006 Browns doesn't have significant problems has cognitive issues.

As I've claimed before, Herm is an NFL project and the absolute worst thing that could happen to this team at the absolute worst time.

FAX

I was almost sold on the loss of Roaf being a lot of the problem. But we made it for what, 6 games in '05 without him? This season...

-We saw almost no pre-snap player movement.
-Almost no OLinemen pulling to block on the other side.
-Almost no miss direction
- 2/3 of the 1st down plays called were runs
-In all but 3 games our first play was a run to LJ
-Our HC is more concerned with taking time of the clock than putting points on the board.

Roaf was missed, but he wasn't the problem. Aging players did have an effect, but they weren't the problem. Making it easy for oposing coaches to know what you are going to do and opposing players to stop what you are going to do is a huge problem that won't go away with younger players and bigger tackles.

I remember one time Green was interviewed about the playcalling in a game and he said Al never called the exact same play twice in a game. By the time Herm gets through with the playbook we won't have enough pages in the playbook to not run the same play 2x in one half (unless we are playing Indy that is:rolleyes:)

This team's only real hope is if control of the O is taken away from Herm all together.

01-09-2007, 12:03 AM

NIce post. Pretty much sums me up too.

Rausch
01-09-2007, 06:54 AM
Ah yes, the day after the first big fight.

"Why'd I go out with that bidge? What did I see in her?"

NewChief
01-09-2007, 06:59 AM
I'm to the point that I am sick of football. I don't want to root for another team, I just want to put sports down for a while.

This is how I feel pretty much every year at the conclusion of the season, regardless of what kind of season it was. Give it until March or May and you'll start missing it again.

Extra Point
01-09-2007, 07:07 AM
"But WHY oh WHY did I have to fall in love with the Chiefs? "

Answer: 65 Toss Power Trap and Super Bowl IV.

We now have the least variable offense in the league. Get used to it. Herm is going to throw out some babies (Green and Gonzales) out with the bathwater (Coryell related offense). We'll only throw long to "punt" the ball to a greedy D-back who wants to boost his stats. or to try and pick up a pass interference call.

Get used to change, for better and for backward. Year 1 of yet another 5 year plan is coming to a close.

InChiefsHeaven
01-09-2007, 08:06 AM
SEE: The Chicago Cubs

I have a friend who is a die-hard Cubs fan, and he made this comparison to me back in '03. I didn't want to believe him, even though the evidence since 1989 is overwhelming. Now, I look at how he is about his Cubs. Calm, dissapointed but not destroyed. That's my new goal. I have to change my approach to watching my Chiefs every season.

After that abortion of a game on Saturday, I wound up getting into an argument with my wife. That led to an entire evening of silent treatment, followed by my lame appologies because she was right and I was being a dick. No wonder she hates the Chiefs.

Meh. I'll always love the Chiefs. But I need to take it down a few notches.

Lzen
01-09-2007, 08:45 AM

No kidding. My sentiments as well.

gblowfish
01-09-2007, 08:54 AM
Watching the Chiefs is like the movie Groundhog Day.
They just can't get it right.

Every year is same old crap in a brand new box.
The Cubs of the NFL, indeed.

Larry Run Left,
Larry Run Right,
Sack.
Punt.

Wash, Spin, Rinse.

NY CHIEF
01-09-2007, 09:02 AM
I got a call yesterday from an old college buddy that i havent heard from in 15 years .... he asked if the chiefs got a first down yet :banghead:

Otter
01-09-2007, 10:53 AM
At least you guys have a good excuse for being a Chiefs Fan. I've never had any affiliation with KC until I started watching football.

"WTF was I thinking" has gone through my mind more times than you can ever imagine.

POND_OF_RED
01-09-2007, 11:33 AM
And we are getting ready to see another round of talent go to waste on the D side of the ball because the HC doesn't see a need to put together a balanced team.

All of the great teams over the last 10-15 years have 1 thing in common - they are BALANCED.

Marty has an O and a D in SD - this is probably his best shot ever at a SB run IMO.

Pitts last year had an O to go with the D they've had for years (and the refs)

New England - I don't even know which side of the ball is better - but I do know that I don't really look forward to either the O or the D.

When Tampa Bay won, Chucky left the D alone and fixed the O (Jeesh Herm, you should have at least noticed that one).

StL under DV had a top 10 D to compliment the Greatest Show on Turf

'97 & '98 don't apply since the team that won the SB those years cheated the salary cap to do so

Green Bay, Dallas, and the 49ers - they were BALANCED teams.

The ONLY team in the last 10-15 years that could be argued as not a balanced team was Baltimore - and they at least could manage the ball on O.

In the late 80s and erly 90s here we emphasized D and we struggled on O - Our best QB was 8 years beyond his prime and couldn't throw more than 30 yards.

DV turned it around. We had one of the best O's to play the game but put the D in the hands of a dufas that pushed to cut one of the best players we had at the time in Donnie Edwards.

Gunther probably fielded the most balanced team we've had in 20 years - both sides of the ball stunk.

99 Rams defense wasnt as good as advertised. They played one team that entire season with a winning record and got stomped by the Titans, which later beat them in the SB.

Dallas was filled with Probowlers everywhere.

Everything else though I agree completely.

Baby Lee
01-09-2007, 11:44 AM
99 Rams defense wasnt as good as advertised. They played one team that entire season with a winning record and got stomped by the Titans, which later beat them in the SB.

Dallas was filled with Probowlers everywhere.

Everything else though I agree completely.
'Winning record' is a loaded term, as is 'stomping'

Ravens - 8-8.
Titans 'stomped' them 24-21.
Lions - 8-8
Panthers - 8-8
Packers - 8-8

Don't forget;

MN - 11 wins
TB - 12 wins
TN - 16 wins

Mr. Laz
01-09-2007, 11:47 AM
I actually had some hope and excitement
n00b

ROFL ROFL

Calcountry
01-09-2007, 12:37 PM
It was hard to watch our D a few years ago when they couldn't stop anybody...but I prefer that high power offense and no D over this. At least we could dominate teams when our D played decent. I'll never forget that 56-10 dominating performance over Atlanta. 8 rushing tds against at the time the best run defense in the nfl. Damn I miss those days already. The Indy playoff game in 03 was at least fun to watchHerm blamed our Cincy loss in Game one to the drubbing we gave them on DV's sendoff.

To Pastor/

I'll be a fan throughout the offseason, I'll be a fan next fall, I'll be a fan next year, this is my team. But WHY oh WHY did I have to fall in love with the Chiefs? Why couldn't it have been another team?

I was saying this exact thing when Green got stepped on at the goal line, then again after the FG doinked.

Tell me, how many of you actually yelled some profanity when the ball doinked, nah, I didn't think so, you were already expecting it.

PastorMikH
01-09-2007, 09:15 PM
This is how I feel pretty much every year at the conclusion of the season, regardless of what kind of season it was. Give it until March or May and you'll start missing it again.

Yeah, I'll probably watch some of the games I recorded around then and get mad again.

:)

chrisdel
01-09-2007, 09:40 PM
I totally feel the same pain here as everyone else, but let's not get too carried away with our "woe is me" attitude. Every fanbase goes through more pain than glory, because only one team wins a championship. Look at Cleveland. The Browns haven't won in forever, they watched their team move to Baltimore, get an expansion team that years later is still an expansion team, and then have to deal with their old team in Baltimore win a Super Bowl (and may win another this year). Misery is part of being a fan.

I think what hurts is seeing other teams around us have more success. Every team in the AFC West, including Seattle, has been to the Super Bowl under Carl's reign except us. But we all know that, don't we?

PastorMikH
01-09-2007, 09:53 PM
I totally feel the same pain here as everyone else, but let's not get too carried away with our "woe is me" attitude. Every fanbase goes through more pain than glory, because only one team wins a championship. Look at Cleveland. The Browns haven't won in forever, they watched their team move to Baltimore, get an expansion team that years later is still an expansion team, and then have to deal with their old team in Baltimore win a Super Bowl (and may win another this year). Misery is part of being a fan.

I think what hurts is seeing other teams around us have more success. Every team in the AFC West, including Seattle, has been to the Super Bowl under Carl's reign except us. But we all know that, don't we?

Right now I'd be happy with "Decent" "Competitive" or even "On The Rise". I could do without "SB Champs" for several years if the other names applied.

I'm struggling with the fact that we can't seem to learn from past mistakes. Build a championship D, when that doesn't work, scratch the D and build a championship O, when that doesn't work, scratch it and try to build another D.

This may be unpopular right now, but a lot of this IMO is Lamar's doing. I used to think he didn't care or he didn't want to spend the $ but in the last month or so, I've come to the realization that the problem may have been that Lamar cared enough about the staff and players that he didn't want to hurt them. I think he also didn't need to win to love the game. So, he didn't always make some of the moves necesary to put a winner on the field.

Manila-Chief
01-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Good post Mike ... It is difficult for me to watch them because in the 90's most of the time they won ... now, most of the time they lose and I get all nervous.

Fax, you are correct, sir, concerning the D. We did improve but we didn't improve enough for the D to carry the team the way Marty's team's did.

I'm disappointed because Herm had a golden opportunity ... do what Dungy did ... leave the O in the hands of the experts ... Mike S. could have run the O the way that Al S. did last year if Herm had stayed out of the way. If he had then we would have had enough of a balanced team to have gone deep into the playoffs.

No, I don't buy the argument that we lost T. Rich, Big Willie, etc. ... last year we lost Roaf for several games and the offense continued to score. It was Herm's offensive principle ... don't score too fast, help the D out .... yadda, yadda, yadda ....

The best way to help your defense (with improved talent and better schemes like this year) is to score points ... get the other team in a big hole and make them play catch up. Imagine what we could have done with the 2 CB's and young DB we had this year if they had a lead to work with.

I'm afraid it will be another (not sure who said this but I agree) 5 year plan that is doomed to fail before it starts. Herm doesn't know offense and is too dumb to admit it.

Manila-Chief
01-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Mike ... you are correct about it being Lamar's fault. Back in the 60's it was reported that he had a burning desire to be equal to the NFL and to win a championship. He put his money where his mouth
was ... we won a S.B.

Then he noticed the money it was costing ... hired Jack Steadman as president or turned things over to him ... we have been struggling ever since. Yep, Kingless is making the Hunt's money but we have not been close to winning a S.B.

InChiefsHeaven
01-10-2007, 07:07 AM
The best way to help your defense (with improved talent and better schemes like this year) is to score points ... get the other team in a big hole and make them play catch up. Imagine what we could have done with the 2 CB's and young DB we had this year if they had a lead to work with.

Ummm...Cleveland.