PDA

View Full Version : If you would have been GM, what would you have done different?

doomy3
01-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Carl gets piled on pretty bad here, and it is easy to second guess every decision after the fact, but if you would have been the GM last offseason and this season, what would you have done differently?
Here are a few things that he did.

1. Signed Ty Law-Law played very well yesterday and was a huge upgrade over Wesley from last year. He was the best free agent corner signed last offseason and from what I can remember was better than any rookie corner drafted.

2. Drafted Tamba Hali-This time last year the number one person who this board didn't want to see on the field again was Eric Hicks. That happened this year because we drafted Hali. This was a very good pick where we picked in the draft.

3. Signed Reed and Edwards-I understand that they weren't exactly worldbeaters, but they did replace our 2 DTs from last year which was the #2 thing complained about behind Hicks. IMO they played MUCH better than Sims/Dalton did last year as well. Corey Simon was a name that everyone wanted us to go after last year, and he was hurt all year, and Indy was last against the run.

4. Drafted the safeties of the future-Can't sign free agents to replace every position, and I think Pollard and Page will be great. I am also glad that they didn't get thrown in the fire right from the beginning. I actually like the way Herm eased them in. They are very raw, but will be great. So, #3 thing on the list (Wesley) also will be replaced by next season I would think.

5. Signed Herm-I know that most of the board is unhappy about this signing right now, but it is one year. Hindsight is 20/20, but would anyone really have been happy with Mangini, Payton, or Art Shell, who were other coaches who were signed around the same time? Not now, but before the season.

6. Signed Solari to be OC- Again, not a real popular decision right now, and rightfully so, but who would you have reather signed? At the time, most people on here were hoping he would be the choice once Saunders went away. Other names were Norv Turner and Mike Martz. How did they do in Oakland and Detroit?

As I said, I am in no way a huge Peterson supporter, but just being honest about it, what would you have done differently? You can't blame Carl for players underperforming. THat is what I see as the biggest problem.

BWillie
01-08-2007, 12:17 AM
***CLAPS*** GREAT POST. SEE MY AVATAR

ChiefsCountry
01-08-2007, 12:22 AM
On the eve before training camp, this team looked pretty good actually. Our top ranked offense was basically the same group, added Turley and Cruz for Welbourn and T-Rich. We got our big play Hall of Fame corner in Law, a stud rookie DE, new DTs, maybe we have a defense that is middle of the pack who could rise up and be a top one when needed.

Then Roaf retired. Took alot out of this team honestly. Turley had to move to left tackle, Black/Sampson inserted into right, then switched when injuries hit. Then came opening day, our pro bowl quarterback got knocked out and wasnt the same.

Basically the offseason wasnt too bad, it was just a sudden departure that caused alot of things to go wrong.

Taco John
01-08-2007, 12:23 AM
I would have either kept Suanders and asked him to hire a real defensive coordinator... Or I would have sold the farm to bring Mariucci in, and asked him to bring in a real defensive coordinator. Or Mangini... I remember commenting at the time that the Jets won that deal because they got rid of a coach they needed to get rid of while picking up one of the hottest young football minds in the business...

I can't hardly believe that Herm Edwards is an NFL coach.

Coach
01-08-2007, 12:25 AM
I would have either kept Suanders and asked him to hire a real defensive coordinator... Or I would have sold the farm to bring Mariucci in, and asked him to bring in a real defensive coordinator. Or Mangini... I remember commenting at the time that the Jets won that deal because they got rid of a coach they needed to get rid of while picking up one of the hottest young football minds in the business...

I can't hardly believe that Herm Edwards is an NFL coach.

When Herm was hired, I was one of his backers, but right now, I have done a complete 180 degree. Edwards is like the Greg Robinson of NFL coaches.

Unfortunately, Saunders and Carl Peterson doesn't see eye to eye with each other, so that one wouldn't have worked out.

el borracho
01-08-2007, 12:56 AM
My #1 rule as a GM is never give draft picks for coaches.

el borracho
01-08-2007, 12:57 AM
I probably would have hired Saunders as Head Coach.

I probably would have made more effort to keep Richardson.

CoMoChief
01-08-2007, 01:02 AM
I wouldve hired Saunders as HC.

1punkyQB
01-08-2007, 02:35 AM
My #1 rule as a GM is never give draft picks for coaches. I think it depends on the coach. Gruden and Belichick won Super Bowls and proved to be worth the picks. When the other team is willing to let the guy go for a 4th rounder, however, I guess you get what you pay for.

el borracho
01-08-2007, 02:37 AM
The picks for Gruden are a big part of why the Bucs are so terrible now- they don't have enough young talent because they gave away their picks.

I didn't know that the Pats gave away picks for Belichick. What was the compensation?

1punkyQB
01-08-2007, 02:52 AM
First rounder in 2000 for Bellichick. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Belicheck
As a Chiefs fan, I thinking giving up the draft picks for Gruden, as many as they were, was still worth it. They're back in the top 5 of the draft, but at least they did win the Super Bowl. Besides, weren't they 10-6 the year before? Those picks didn't help Oakland much.

el borracho
01-08-2007, 02:55 AM
Wow. What the heck was this about:

When Parcells stepped down as head coach, Belichick became the new head coach. However, Belichick's introduction to the media the following day turned out to be a surprise resignation announcement. Before taking the podium, he scrawled a resignation note on a sheet of loose leaf paper that read, in its entirety, "I resign as HC of the NYJ." He then delivered a rambling half-hour speech explaining his resignation to the assembled press corps

BWillie
01-08-2007, 02:58 AM
I wouldve hired Saunders as HC.

That would of got ugly. Talk about NO defense. I bet Saunders doesn't even know who Boomer Grigsby is.

RedThat
01-08-2007, 03:06 AM
I dont mind giving up a 4th rounder for Herm.

But giving up a 4th rounder for a backup RB in Michael Bennett? Not a smart move by Peterson. That was another classic move where Peterson throws away a draft pick, lovely.

Otter
01-08-2007, 03:29 AM
Bottom Line: The Chiefs haven't won a playoff game in 13 years under his tenure and have repeatedly embarrassed themselves when the did get to play with the big boys.

See how far "I tried" gets you in real life.

SLQ
01-08-2007, 04:38 AM
I probably would have hired Saunders as Head Coach.

I probably would have made more effort to keep Richardson.

Peterson was not the motivating force behind T-Rich leaving, Herman was.

Warrior5
01-08-2007, 07:06 AM
On the eve before training camp, this team looked pretty good actually. Our top ranked offense was basically the same group, added Turley and Cruz for Welbourn and T-Rich. We got our big play Hall of Fame corner in Law, a stud rookie DE, new DTs, maybe we have a defense that is middle of the pack who could rise up and be a top one when needed.

Then Roaf retired. Took alot out of this team honestly. Turley had to move to left tackle, Black/Sampson inserted into right, then switched when injuries hit. Then came opening day, our pro bowl quarterback got knocked out and wasnt the same.

Basically the offseason wasnt too bad, it was just a sudden departure that caused alot of things to go wrong.

Well stated. Not sure what I would've done differently, but alarm bells would've been going off as soon as I realized I'd lost both of my O-line bookends AND my pro-bowl FB.

King_Chief_Fan
01-08-2007, 07:15 AM
Carl gets piled on pretty bad here, and it is easy to second guess every decision after the fact, but if you would have been the GM last offseason and this season, what would you have done differently?
Here are a few things that he did.

1. Signed Ty Law-Law played very well yesterday and was a huge upgrade over Wesley from last year. He was the best free agent corner signed last offseason and from what I can remember was better than any rookie corner drafted.

2. Drafted Tamba Hali-This time last year the number one person who this board didn't want to see on the field again was Eric Hicks. That happened this year because we drafted Hali. This was a very good pick where we picked in the draft.

3. Signed Reed and Edwards-I understand that they weren't exactly worldbeaters, but they did replace our 2 DTs from last year which was the #2 thing complained about behind Hicks. IMO they played MUCH better than Sims/Dalton did last year as well. Corey Simon was a name that everyone wanted us to go after last year, and he was hurt all year, and Indy was last against the run.

4. Drafted the safeties of the future-Can't sign free agents to replace every position, and I think Pollard and Page will be great. I am also glad that they didn't get thrown in the fire right from the beginning. I actually like the way Herm eased them in. They are very raw, but will be great. So, #3 thing on the list (Wesley) also will be replaced by next season I would think.

5. Signed Herm-I know that most of the board is unhappy about this signing right now, but it is one year. Hindsight is 20/20, but would anyone really have been happy with Mangini, Payton, or Art Shell, who were other coaches who were signed around the same time? Not now, but before the season.

6. Signed Solari to be OC- Again, not a real popular decision right now, and rightfully so, but who would you have reather signed? At the time, most people on here were hoping he would be the choice once Saunders went away. Other names were Norv Turner and Mike Martz. How did they do in Oakland and Detroit?

As I said, I am in no way a huge Peterson supporter, but just being honest about it, what would you have done differently? You can't blame Carl for players underperforming. THat is what I see as the biggest problem.

Numbers 5 and 6 pretty much sum it up for me. Carl hired his buddy. As a head coach the guy was under .500 and never proved himself worthy to be head coach of the Chiefs. Solari is an O line coach. He didn't before know then and still doesn't know anything about calling an offense.
Carl knew this offense was old and has not done a good job of evaluating talent to step in for the departed. Even if Roaf stayed one more year, no one was going to be ready.
And lets not forget the fact that the clown had a 5 year plan that is in year 16-17 now.

Interested to see how long the young Hunts will want to be embarassed and if they do anything to improve this team.

doomy3
01-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Peterson was not the motivating force behind T-Rich leaving, Herman was.

Or maybe it was the huge contract for a fullback that the Vikings threw at him :rolleyes:

BTW, TRich spent most of this year hurt.

Deberg_1990
01-08-2007, 06:18 PM
I probably would not have hired Herm. I dont think Herm is awful, but hes nothing truly special either. Hes basically topped out and has proven to be a 9-7, 10-6 type of coach. He was the "safe" bet for Carl.

I wish Carl would have thought outside the box a little more and tried to find a gem like Sean Peyton or even Eric Mangini. A couple of young guys with some serious upside.

Phobia
01-08-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure I'd wear those sunglasses everywhere.

doomy3
01-08-2007, 06:23 PM
I probably would not have hired Herm. I dont think Herm is awful, but hes nothing truly special either. Hes basically topped out and has proven to be a 9-7, 10-6 type of coach. He was the "safe" bet for Carl.

I wish Carl would have thought outside the box a little more and tried to find a gem like Sean Peyton or even Eric Mangini. A couple of young guys with some serious upside.

At the time did you really think so? I didn't hear one person on this board mentioning either of those guys this time last year that I can remember. I agree that after the first year, both those guys look like better hires, but they were virtually unknown last year, especially Peyton.

KCBOSS1
01-08-2007, 06:52 PM
I would have give Dick Vermeil a big bonus to stay on. If he wouldn't have, I would have hired Saunders as head coach. Our offense was stealth. I think that Roaf would have stayed another year not having to face the transition. I definitely think that losing him was the biggest cause of implosion. Games are won and lost in the trenches.

I would have went after a free agency receiver like Javon Walker and made the same moves in the defense.

It's a tough fix and couldn't have been a total fix, but I really miss the exciting offense. And seriously, LJ would have had 2000 yards with less carries and an offense package that opened up the field.

Deberg_1990
01-08-2007, 07:25 PM
At the time did you really think so? I didn't hear one person on this board mentioning either of those guys this time last year that I can remember. I agree that after the first year, both those guys look like better hires, but they were virtually unknown last year, especially Peyton.

Thats sort of the point i was getting at. I would like him to take a chance on an unknown for once. A young up and comer so to speak. If he fails, then move on.....but take a chance. He went with the safe choice in Herm, but I really dont see alot of upside with the guy. I see Herm as a guy who will have problems getting his teams over the hump. Kind of like another HC we had here about 9 years ago.....

He also went with another safe choice in Gunther Cunningham in 99-2000...but Carls middle name is "status quo" or "business as usual"