PDA

View Full Version : Help Herm simplify the offense

ping2000
01-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Herm stated he wants to simplify the offense. Here are my thoughts:

1. Go from zero trick plays to -2 trick plays per game. I don't know if this one is possible, but trick plays tend to confuse both our offense and the opposing defense. Let's keep things simple.

2. Punt on third down. Running three offensive plays in a row causes information overload and is confusing.

3. Eliminate all slant patterns. We don't use them even though they work, and keeping them in the playbook just adds weight.

4. In fact, eliminate all passing plays. The forward pass is over rated and too complicated.

5. Run to the left on every play. That way you only have to have one-half of a good offensive line. We're only two linemen away from being halfway there!

6. Eliminate one of the "huts" before snapping the ball. Always go on "hut one". Keep it simple boys.

Fire Me Boy!
01-08-2007, 01:06 PM
I say we really take "you don't try to outscore a team on the road" to heart. Cut the entire offense. Punt for better field position and put the defense out there to win the game. Let's try to be the first team to go 2-2-12.

boogblaster
01-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Just snap the ball on every first-down up into the air and let the D.. intercept it.....

Fire Me Boy!
01-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Just snap the ball on every first-down up into the air and let the D.. intercept it.....
Well that's just dumb... bad field position. Herm wants GOOD field position.

ping2000
01-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Another idea: Get rid of all offensive players. Have two defensive units. Tire out the opposition by making them play offense for the entire game. Go for ties or the occasional win through a TD from an interception.

greg63
01-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Help Herm simplify the offense

You mean more simple then run, run, pass, punt??

Fire Me Boy!
01-08-2007, 01:13 PM
I'd also like to reintroduce this idea: the play action run.

Direct snap to LJ, have him fake it to the QB, then run with it.

Another question, does the center actually have to snap the ball? Maybe Casey could just pop up and throw the ball?

Bob Dole
Another idea: Get rid of all offensive players. Have two defensive units. Tire out the opposition by making them play offense for the entire game. Go for ties or the occasional win through a TD from an interception.

Didn't we just try that on Saturday?

Fire Me Boy!
Was there a problem with this post?

I say we really take "you don't try to outscore a team on the road" to heart. Cut the entire offense. Punt for better field position and put the defense out there to win the game. Let's try to be the first team to go 2-2-12.

BIG_DADDY
01-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Another idea: Get rid of all offensive players. Have two defensive units. Tire out the opposition by making them play offense for the entire game. Go for ties or the occasional win through a TD from an interception. LMAO

ping2000
You mean more simple then run, run, pass, punt??

Well, Herm just said he wants to simplify the offense, so YES! Run, run, run, punt would be an example of simpler.

FAX
Eliminate the wide receivers. Routes are hard to figure out and we don't throw to them anyhow.

FAX

Fire Me Boy!
01-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Eliminate the wide receivers. Routes are hard to figure out and we don't throw to them anyhow.

FAX
Ohh! First team EVAR for a 5-TE set!

Over-Head
01-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Just line up a huge wall of 350lb plus lineman in front of LJ, have him at canter and QB sneak 3 times in a row, then kick.
Doesn't get any simpler. :thumb:

ping2000
01-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Was there a problem with this post?

I'm trying to simplify my life by eliminating reading.

Fire Me Boy!
01-08-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm trying to simplify my life by eliminating reading.
ROFL

Apparently so is BIG_DADDY.

Reerun_KC
01-08-2007, 01:18 PM
I love it. I remember calling out Herm at the beginning of the season for ****ign with the offense..

I got ass raped on this board. Now guess what? Herm is going to **** it up even more!

trndobrd
01-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Would it be possible to replace Hall with Colquitt on Kick-offs? Colquitt could field the kick-off, then immediately punt.

FAX
01-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Would it be possible to replace Hall with Colquitt on Kick-offs? Colquitt could field the kick-off, then immediately punt.

ROFL

An excellent strategy, Mr. trndobrd.

FAX

ping2000
01-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Also, we should eliminate the huddle. What exactly do the Chiefs do in the huddle anyway? Big ass waste of time.

oldandslow
01-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Damn, this is a funny thread.

Rep to all.

Dartgod
01-08-2007, 01:24 PM
.500 hmmm? I'll take it!

Fire Me Boy!
01-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Maybe we could get John Tait back for return duties? He ran pretty well with the ball, he's got like a 20-yard rush average.

ping2000
01-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Bring Joe Valerio out of retirement. He kicked ass on tackle eligible plays. Better hands than Eddie!

the Talking Can
01-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Herm stated he wants to simplify the offense. Here are my thoughts:

1. Go from zero trick plays to -2 trick plays per game. I don't know if this one is possible, but trick plays tend to confuse both our offense and the opposing defense. Let's keep things simple.

2. Punt on third down. Running three offensive plays in a row causes information overload and is confusing.

3. Eliminate all slant patterns. We don't use them even though they work, and keeping them in the playbook just adds weight.

4. In fact, eliminate all passing plays. The forward pass is over rated and too complicated.

5. Run to the left on every play. That way you only have to have one-half of a good offensive line. We're only two linemen away from being halfway there!

6. Eliminate one of the "huts" before snapping the ball. Always go on "hut one". Keep it simple boys.

the true Planet spirit....rep

trndobrd
01-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Also, we should eliminate the huddle. What exactly do the Chiefs do in the huddle anyway? Big ass waste of time.

The announcers know the next play, everyone in the stands knows the next play, viewers at home know the next play, the opposing D knows the next play. The QB should just get under center and call the play...

"Blue 24! Blue 24! Hand off to LJ and sweep right! Shields and Weigman, pull right. Blue 24! Hey Linebacker, that's my right, your left. Blue 24! Hut! Hut!"

FAX
01-08-2007, 01:29 PM
The announcers know the next play, everyone in the stands knows the next play, viewers at home know the next play, the opposing D knows the next play. The QB should just get under center and call the play...

"Blue 24! Blue 24! Hand off to LJ and sweep right! Shields and Weigman, pull right. Blue 24! Hey Linebacker, that's my right, your left. Blue 24! Hut! Hut!"

Um. With all respect, Mr. trndobrd, that's too complicated.

Just point where the ball is going.

FAX

Bearcat
01-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Um. With all respect, Mr. trndobrd, that's too complicated.

Just point where the ball is going.

FAX

Solari's headset can go directly to the PA system. Cut out all the middlemen.

RJ
01-08-2007, 01:34 PM
I've read that he wants to run fewer plays. Seems simple enough, we could punt on 3rd down instead of waiting for 4th. Over the course of an entire game that could really add up.

Dartgod
01-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Also, we should eliminate the huddle. What exactly do the Chiefs do in the huddle anyway? Big ass waste of time.Because huddling helps keep their offense off the field.

For example...

In the Playoff game Saturday night, the Chiefs received the ball with approximately ten minutes left and we were down by two scores. By huddling up and taking our time getting to the huddle, we ran eight plays and ran nearly FOUR MINUTES off the clock. Eliminating the huddle would have left at least two more minutes off the clock....leaving plenty of time for the Colts to score again, likely putting us down by three scores.

It's simple clock management...

ping2000
01-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Because huddling helps keep their offense off the field.

For example...

In the Playoff game Saturday night, the Chiefs received the ball with approximately ten minutes left and we were down by two scores. By huddling up and taking our time getting to the huddle, we ran eight plays and ran nearly FOUR MINUTES off the clock. Eliminating the huddle would have left at least two more minutes off the clock....leaving plenty of time for the Colts to score again, likely putting us down by three scores.

It's simple clock management...

Maybe they should just huddle up and play craps then. Using the huddle to call plays in is just confusing our guys. That way we could still waste time and do something productive.

Dartgod
01-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Maybe they should just huddle up and play craps then. Using the huddle to call plays in is just confusing our guys. That way we could still waste time and do something productive.
Now you're thinking! :thumb:

dirk digler
01-08-2007, 01:49 PM

FAX

ROFL

Rooster
01-08-2007, 01:55 PM

ROFL ROFL

ping2000
01-08-2007, 01:57 PM
We need to cheat better. Cheating is easy, but our guys suck at it. We don't use enough PAM, and our guys don't spring for the expensive designer steroids or growth hormone that can't be detected.

JohninGpt
01-08-2007, 02:00 PM
How about an X and O diagram of the "LJ up the tackles ass" play painted on the 20 yard line?

dj56dt58
01-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Offense in general is too complicated. Having to block, run, throw, catch...I say we just go out onto the field and not snap the ball and take delay of games the entire time. It would make for great clock mananagement as the other team would never get the ball

ping2000
01-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Offense in general is too complicated. Having to block, run, throw, catch...I say we just go out onto the field and not snap the ball and take delay of games the entire time. It would make for great clock mananagement as the other team would never get the ball

AWESOME! The ref would have to break out the micrometer as he kept marking off half the distance penalties from the 1 inch line. Unfortunately, the clock would never run and the game would last forever causing us fans more pain.

KCJohnny
01-08-2007, 02:10 PM
How about an X and O diagram of the "LJ up the tackles ass" play painted on the 20 yard line?
ROFL
This thread made my day!!!
:thumbsup:

Wile_E_Coyote
01-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Defense wins championships. If you offensive players that got all the glory in the DV/AS years don't like it. Looks like it's tough shit, cause defense is Herm's plan

KChiefer
01-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Herm's been playing too much Madden on the Rookie setting. He really believes 1 play repeated, can win football games.

KCJohnny
01-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Herm's been playing too much Madden on the Rookie setting. He really believes 1 play repeated, can win football games.

Madden requires too many buttons on the controller. Herm prefers the old electric football field that vibrates the players along in every direction.

Predarat
01-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Bring in the Wing-T!

Chief Henry
01-08-2007, 03:02 PM
punt
punt
punt
run

KCJohnny
01-09-2007, 03:25 PM
This thread is too good to forget about. read this thread if you need a laugh, its hilarious.
:toast:

Hydrae
01-09-2007, 04:28 PM

You know, those little cell phone things have internet connection options nowadays. They could check out the Planet from the huddle, peruse the girlie thread or even chime in on why GWB is having all these problems in Iraq. You know, all those things the rest of us Chiefs fans do to waste time when we are doing what we get paid for.

svuba
01-09-2007, 04:32 PM
We need to diversify our punting game. After all it IS the conerstone of our offense. We could start by developing the following plays:

Play Action Punt - Fake the handoff to LJ & immediately Punt.

No huddle punt- 1st down we take a knee, 2nd down immediately punt before the defense has time to adjust.

Screen Punt - When the opposing team is is kick block formation our Punter will pooch the ball to a second punter just a few yards away, 2nd punter will immediately scoop up the ball & punt!

Double Reverse Punt - Ball is snapped to the punter who turns and hands off to the Wide out/Punter who hands off to another punter coming the opposite direction who immediatly punts.

Statue of liberty Punt - Punter hands ball to 2nd punter behind his back who immediately punts!

Fleaflicker punt - Punter pretends to bobble the ball forcing him to run for the first down, before crossing the line of scrimage he turns around and laterals the ball back to another punter who immediately punts!

Of coarse we will need at least 4 good punters on the field at any given time, preferably 6. We will need to draft all punters in this draft, and get any free agent punters who are available. Drafting punters in the 1st two rounds will be easy, the rest of the NFL will never see it coming.

We will corner the market in punters!

HemiEd
01-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Defense wins championships. If you offensive players that got all the glory in the DV/AS years don't like it. Looks like it's tough shit, cause defense is Herm's plan

Glad you are enjoying it, I aint liking it so much.

HemiEd
01-09-2007, 04:47 PM
[SIZE=3]We will corner the market in punters!

Nice post. ROFL

KCJohnny
01-09-2007, 04:48 PM
We need to diversify our punting game. After all it IS the conerstone of our offense. We could start by developing the following plays:

No huddle punt- 1st down we take a knee, 2nd down immediately punt before the defense has time to adjust.

Screen Punt - When the opposing team is is kick block formation our Punter will pooch the ball to a second punter just a few yards away, 2nd punter will immediately scoop up the ball & punt!

Double Reverse Punt - Ball is snapped to the punter who turns and hands off to the Wide out/Punter who hands off to another punter coming the opposite direction who immediatly punts.

Statue of liberty Punt - Punter hands ball to 2nd punter behind his back who immediately punts!

Fleaflicker punt - Punter pretends to bobble the ball forcing him to run for the first down, before crossing the line of scrimage he turns around and laterals the ball back to another punter who immediately punts!

Of coarse we will need at least 4 good punters on the field at any given time, preferably 6. We will need to draft all punters in this draft, and get any free agent punters who are available. Drafting punters in the 1st two rounds will be easy, the rest of the NFL will never see it coming.

This was awesome!!!! ROFL OUTSTANDING POST!!!

ChiefFan31
01-09-2007, 05:13 PM
You guys are really close here...

Our current offense is obviously beyond Herm's mental capacity to understand. The offensive plays and structure in the posts above sound more spot on

Chief Henry
01-09-2007, 05:14 PM
This was awesome!!!! ROFL OUTSTANDING POST!!!

Your right KCJ, This svuba guy had a funny post. Leno should read this.

KCJohnny
01-09-2007, 05:47 PM
ROFL

Chief Henry, make sure you go back and read the whole thing. There's some VERY high quality laughs here!

RJ
01-09-2007, 05:49 PM

Svuba, while you're on the right track in searching more creative ways to punt you're missing one of Herm's key points. SIMPLIFY. We don't want to bring in young punters and then have them on the bench for 2 years while they learn the punting scheme and all the punting plays.

We need to employ the KISS method here. Draft great athletes at the punter position and then allow them to play instinctively. Let them know that they have the green light to punt any time they see the opportunity. In fact, I see no reason not to use some punters on defense. Teach them to always fly to the ball, be aggressive, force turnovers, and when they get the ball......punt. I'd like to see the whole team get on the same page philosophically.

greg63
01-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Well, Herm just said he wants to simplify the offense, so YES! Run, run, run, punt would be an example of simpler.

True; how about punt on first downs. The defense will never see it comin.

ChiefsLV
01-09-2007, 09:19 PM
I love it. I remember calling out Herm at the beginning of the season for ****ign with the offense..

I got ass raped on this board. Now guess what? Herm is going to **** it up even more!

What has Herm ever done to **** up an offense? :)

FAX
01-09-2007, 10:21 PM
MEMO

TO: Offensive Staff
RE: The run

Gentlemen, the run is a problem area that must be addressed.

Our current run scheme is far too complex for our new, young breed of player to understand. Due to the importance of runs and the vital contribution runs make to time of possession, runs must be kept simple and easy to execute. An additional concern, when considering the run, is that blocking assignments are highly intricate and defenses move their players around making it difficult for linemen to remember stuff like where to go at the snap.

Therefore, we will implement the laydown run scheme on all downs in which the referee says it is our turn.

In order to maximize time of possession, we will allow the play clock to run down to 3 or 4 seconds. This is the time when the center will snap the ball. The seconds are indicated by the big numbers on the play clock. If the quarterback cannot read or comprehend the numbers on the play clock, the center will snap the ball whenever.

When the ball is snapped, each player will hit the ground taking his laydown position. If a player is unsure as to his laydown position, he should pretend he is taking cover from mortar fire. These are like bombs. When taking his laydown position, each player should be sure to protect his hands and feet from possible harm. The fetal position is preferred.

The handoff is eliminated, as the ball is snapped directly to the running back who shall grasp the ball. If the running back does not recognize the ball or is unaware that the snap has occured, any player may attempt to grasp the ball so long as they are not confusing any other player with their movements or have already assumed their laydown position. When in doubt, do not attempt to grasp the ball.

The first player to grasp the ball will fall to the ground in a forward motion, face first if possible. If the player cannot or does not remember to fall forward, falling backwards or sideways will be okay.

While lying in your fetal, or laydown, position, listen for a whistle sound. This is the sound that will tell you the run play is over. Sometimes, the referee will tell you that it is our turn again. Sometimes he won't. If you are uncertain if it is our turn to snap the ball, ask either the referree or a player from the other team.

FAX

Coach
01-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Simple eh?

Just take a knee 3 times and just punt the ball away.

TEX
01-09-2007, 11:03 PM
I never thought I'd see the KC offense reduced to what it was against Indy. It was far worse than any during the Marty era. It was so bad that I was looking forward to the times when the defense was on the field - and they were facing Payton F*cking Manning. Now Herm is going to "simplify" things. What a joke. Someone please tell me this isn't real. We all deserve better than Herm Edwards.

mcan
01-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Simple offense? No problem.

We're the Chiefs... Our offense is diverse, meaning we can run BOTH plays. Run left : Run right.

01-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Simple offense? No problem.

We're the Chiefs... Our offense is diverse, meaning we can run BOTH plays. Run left : Run right.

Don't forget; Up the middle.

Hammock Parties
01-10-2007, 01:00 AM
So how do we score if we are punting and laying down on offense all the time? Special teams? Or do we punt the ball when the other team kicks off, too?

01-10-2007, 01:06 AM
Hey, GoChiefs, could you help me to make this GIF smaller so it uses less bandwidth on the site?

Hammock Parties
01-10-2007, 01:16 AM
Sure. What size?

01-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Sure. What size?
It is 320w x 181h right now. I would say to just halve it. 160w x 90h

Hammock Parties
01-10-2007, 01:22 AM
It is 320w x 181h right now. I would say to just halve it. 160w x 90h

No problemo.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8522/24yd0.gif

01-10-2007, 01:25 AM
No problemo.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8522/24yd0.gif

Thanks GoChiefs!!! I appreciate that.

KCJohnny
01-10-2007, 07:42 AM
FAX, your memo post (#57) had me laughing so hard my sides are hurting. Thanks, I needed that.
ROFL

EM31
01-10-2007, 08:16 AM
For people who question "where will the offense be coming from?" if the Chiefs are punting on first down, I think you may have overlooked the importance of the safety within a well constructed game plan. If your punt team hones it's skills to the nth degree then it is not out of the question that your defense will find itself in a position of having the opposing offenses backed up in their own kitchen once or twice during every game. Hence the possibility of a safety comes into play.

As you all know, safeties are scored by the defense which makes them superior, all things considered to points that come from the offense (remember those?) or from special teams. A little known fact is that safeties are also worth two points which will often completely eliminate the possibility overtime because two points are not the same thing as three points or seven points. Once the possibility of overtime is eliminated, all that extra strategizing, thinking and clock management down the stretch will also be greatly reduced, thus making the game simpler! And as we all know...

Simplification is a good thing.