PDA

View Full Version : Power and Light Entertainment District in Downtown KC

BigRedChief
01-10-2007, 08:32 AM
It's going to be in between the Sprint Center and the H&R Block corp HQ. New tenants were annonced today. Wasn't there suppose to be a Hard Rock Cafe or Planet Hollywood etc in the miix?

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/16422421.htm

Backers of downtown Kansas City’s Power & Light District project announced five new tenants Tuesday.
One is the first business there that won’t focus on food, drink or entertainment — a men’s clothing store.
“I think maybe there were a few doubters. … The district was talked about for a long time: ‘Is it really going to happen?’ ” said Blake Cordish, vice president with the Baltimore-based Cordish Co., developer and manager of the Power & Light District.
“Today you can look out the windows and see steel coming out of the ground. You can see walls coming. You can see an arena being completed, H&R Block (headquarters) occupied. It’s pretty exciting.”
New tenants announced Tuesday and set to open this fall:
•Gordon Biersch Brewery and Restaurant, an upscale brewery with California roots, will anchor an 8,500-square-foot space on the ground floor of the Kansas City Live block at 14th and Walnut streets. It will include an outdoor beer garden.
Gordon Biersch, which is now based in Chattanooga, Tenn., has 30 franchises in 14 states, including one in Denver. It will feature a silo to hold grain for its beer.
•Mosaic, a 7,100-square-foot ultralounge with a “sexy South Beach-style” decor, will be on the second floor of the block facing Grand Boulevard between 13th and 14th streets. Mosaic locations in Baltimore and Houston are recognized for their DJ talent.
•Famous Dave’s Legendary Pit Bar-B-Que, a 6,300-square-foot restaurant, will be in the district’s “Restaurant Row” on the south side of 14th between Walnut and Grand.
•Jos. A. Bank, a 4,300-square-foot men’s tailored and casual clothing, footwear and accessories store, will be on the west side of Main between 13th and 14th. The company has more than 350 stores nationwide.
•Chipotle Mexican Grill, a 2,400-square-foot restaurant serving burritos, tacos, burrito bols and salads, will open at the northwest corner of 14th and Walnut.
Financial terms of the new deals were not disclosed.
With Tuesday’s announcement, Cordish said the project now had “commitments” for 85 percent of the planned 450,000 square feet of retail/restaurant/entertainment component of the mixed-use project.
Backers of the Power & Light District, which benefits from a variety of local and state economic development incentives, hope to draw as customers downtown workers and residents, conventioneers and others from across the region.
The entertainment district is being built across Grand from the new Sprint Center arena and a few blocks from the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts.
Cordish said the district would be a draw like Bourbon Street in New Orleans or Beale Street in Memphis, Tenn. He said people would simply expect to find high-quality operations once they arrived.
“We understand the importance of picking the right operators, the optimal mix of tenants,” Cordish said. “Brands are somewhat fickle. What may be popular today may not be so popular 10 years from now. So we’re focused on picking the highest-quality operators who will make it work and the nimbleness to change.”
Bill Edmiston, a senior vice president at Gordon Biersch, said many downtowns wanted projects like this but lacked consolidated efforts — either one developer to do a big project, or individual landlords willing to work together.
Gordon Biersch operations also need to draw customers at four distinct times of the day — lunch, dinner, happy hour and late night, he said.
“We looked at Kansas City for several years, but there wasn’t any reason to be downtown after 5 p.m., and we need a reason to be here after 9 or 10 at night,” Edmiston said. “But with the mix of tenants, the residential, the office and the energy of a project like this, (it) gives us the ability to draw those four parts.”
“A downtown, done correctly, also will draw from all over the area.”
Willy Theisen, area franchisee for Famous Dave’s, opened a location in Kansas City, Kan., more than three years ago. It is now the top restaurant in the 145-location chain, serving more than 10,000 customers a week. So Theisen said he felt ready to go head to head with Kansas City’s legendary homegrown barbecue restaurants.
“You might say the gloves are coming off,” Theisen said. “It’s a challenge, not a threat, but I think we all will do very well. The Power & Light is a big-rent, high-volume project that takes major operators — an elite group of retailers. So we’re very proud to be picked.”
<HR class=infobox-hr-separator color=#cccccc SIZE=1>Previously announced tenants for the Power & Light District
•AMC Mainstreet Theatre
•AMC Midland Theatre
•The Bristol Seafood Grill
•ChinaBar, an Asian fusion restaurant
•Cosentino’s Downtown Gourmet Market
•Lucky Strike Lanes
•Vinino by Chef Paternotte

Saulbadguy
01-10-2007, 08:38 AM
When I think Kansas City, I think Famous Daves and Chipotles.

BigRedChief
01-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Wheres the sports bar? The brew pub is suppose to be the sports bar?
And WTF is Famous Dave's BBQ doing down there? Wheres Smokestack?Gates?Bryants?

BigRedChief
01-10-2007, 08:44 AM
When I think Kansas City, I think Famous Daves and Chipotles.They must have went with the highest bidder or something like that? KC BBQ should be down there not some out of town chain BBQ.

Chipolte? Thats a suburban chain.

Here's the home page:
http://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/

$835 million to build the thing.

$325 million for a performaing arts center also.

Defintley looks like something downtown needs
http://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/renderings.htm

Fish
01-10-2007, 08:48 AM

No chit.... it's like they had a corporate whorathon to decide what businesses got in....

This is crap....

HonestChieffan
01-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Doesnt it sound like a "open mall" in Overland Park/WyCo, or any place else....so far its another cookie cutter of the same old stuff...

BigRedChief
01-10-2007, 08:53 AM
What's new in the Central Corridor

Power & Light District (http://www.visitkc.com/meeting_planner/whats_new/index.cfm?page=kc_live.htm)
Estimated Cost: $835 million Opening: Fall 2007
Sprint Center (http://www.visitkc.com/meeting_planner/whats_new/index.cfm?page=sprint_center.htm)
Estimated Cost: $276 million Opening: October 2007
Hilton President Kansas City (http://www.visitkc.com/meeting_planner/whats_new/index.cfm?page=hilton_president.htm)
Estimated Cost: $45 million
Opened: January 2006
Kansas City Convention Center Ballroom Expansion (http://www.visitkc.com/meeting_planner/whats_new/index.cfm?page=ballroom_expansion.htm)
Estimated Cost: $135 million Opening: May 2007
Kansas City Convention Center Renovation (http://www.visitkc.com/meeting_planner/whats_new/index.cfm?page=meeting_space.htm)
Estimated Cost: $22 million Opened: 2005
Liberty Memorial Museum and Monument Expansion (http://www.visitkc.com/meeting_planner/whats_new/index.cfm?page=liberty_memorial.htm)
Estimated Cost: $26 million
Opening: Dec. 2, 2006
The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art Expansion (http://www.visitkc.com/meeting_planner/whats_new/index.cfm?page=nelson_atkins.htm)
Estimated Cost: $200 million Opening: 2007
MAX, Metro Area Express (http://www.visitkc.com/meeting_planner/whats_new/index.cfm?page=max.htm)
Estimated Cost: $21 million Opened: 2005
Performing Arts Center (http://www.visitkc.com/meeting_planner/whats_new/index.cfm?page=performing_arts.htm)
Estimated Cost: $326 million
Opening: 2009
West Edge - Advertising Icon Museum (http://www.visitkc.com/meeting_planner/whats_new/index.cfm?page=west_edge.htm)
Estimated Cost: $100 million
Opening: Fall 2007

BigRedChief
01-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Performing Arts Center (http://www.visitkc.com/meeting_planner/whats_new/index.cfm?page=performing_arts.htm)
Estimated Cost: $326 million
Opening: 2009

This looks pretty good
http://www.visitkc.com/images/media_room/whats_new/performing_arts.jpg

morphius
01-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Wheres the sports bar? The brew pub is suppose to be the sports bar?
And WTF is Famous Dave's BBQ doing down there? Wheres Smokestack?Gates?Bryants?
I'm guessing the locals were not looking to expand.

Of course I see people all over KC rushing to go downtown to eat at the downtown Chipotle.

HonestChieffan
01-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Dont forgeet we have two City Officials under investigation ....Gotta love KC politics and how these crooks just get reelected

Iowanian
01-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Is that an area thats known to be "safe" today? Tonight?

BigRedChief
01-10-2007, 09:20 AM
During the day , yes. Business people, governement workers all over the place.
After dark probably not but who knows...It's a ghost town after dark.

Dartgod
01-10-2007, 09:29 AM
I think the whole area is primarily commercial, so it is relatively safe as far as I know.

|Zach|
01-10-2007, 09:55 AM
http://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/popups/render/r01_r1_c1.jpg

|Zach|
01-10-2007, 09:56 AM
http://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/popups/render/r12_r1_c1.jpg

Brock
01-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Looking forward to spending a lot of concert evenings in the area.

Eleazar
01-10-2007, 10:00 AM
During the day , yes. Business people, governement workers all over the place.
After dark probably not but who knows...It's a ghost town after dark.

These areas will be nice again.

The crappy areas will be where you have to park in order to get there...

Fairplay
01-10-2007, 10:02 AM
These areas will be nice again.

The crappy areas will be where you have to park in order to get there...

Most cities are set up that way these days.

Eleazar
01-10-2007, 10:02 AM
By the way, can you picture in that nothing area south of the Sprint Center, a new Kauffman Stadium and a new Arrowhead Stadium?

eazyb81
01-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Famous Dave's?!? Are you kidding me?

That's embarrassing.

tomahawk kid
01-10-2007, 10:06 AM

That's embarrassing.

That's what I was thinking.

Phobia
01-10-2007, 10:08 AM

That's embarrassing.
Yep. Absolute crap. Now when people visit KC they'll think of Famous Daves when they think KC BBQ. Nice.

dirk digler
01-10-2007, 10:09 AM
By the way, can you picture in that nothing area south of the Sprint Center, a new Kauffman Stadium and a new Arrowhead Stadium?

that would be awesome

I am excited

Eleazar
I also think the Dave's part sucks, but what's to stop Gates from opening a location on the next block?

eazyb81
Yep. Absolute crap. Now when people visit KC they'll think of Famous Daves when they think KC BBQ. Nice.

And they'll leave KC thinking "wow, KC BBQ is WAY overrated".

Redrum_69
01-10-2007, 10:10 AM
My relatives Business will be down there

I cant wait

Dartgod
01-10-2007, 10:11 AM
I also think the Dave's part sucks, but what's to stop Gates from opening a location on the next block?
I've never been to Famous Daves, but I'd go there before I set foot in a Gates again.

Hopefully Jack Stack or Artur Bryant's opens a location there.

BigRedChief
01-10-2007, 10:13 AM
I've never been to Famous Daves, but I'd go there before I set foot in a Gates again.

Jackstack is already downtown in the freight districct. Bryants has a location downtown also.

Frazod
01-10-2007, 10:14 AM

I've never eaten at Famous Daves, but Chipolte is absolutely vile; the chain is owned by McDonald's and tastes like it.

Just say no to McBurrito. :Lin:

dirk digler
01-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Is this supposed to be completed by the time the Sprint Center opens?

Dartgod
01-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Jackstack is already downtown in the freight districct. Bryants has a location downtown also.
Yeah, I know. It would be nice to see a quality local chain set up down there, though.

Maybe Oklahoma Joe's? (never been there, but heard good things.)

dirk digler
01-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I know. It would be nice to see a quality local chain set up down there, though.

Maybe Oklahoma Joe's? (never been there, but heard good things.)

I love Oklahoma Joes.

My top 3 are:

1. jack stacks
2. Oklahoma Joes
3. Arthur Bryants

One of those 3 need to be down there not Famous Dave

Dave Lane
01-10-2007, 10:18 AM
I've done my part with my 3 buildings (blue highlight) 23 lofts and 5 commercial spaces...

Dave

Eleazar
01-10-2007, 10:23 AM

Jack Stack, Smokestack, OK Joe's, just about any BBQ place I visit is better than Bryant's or Gates, IMO. It's all good stuff, but the rep those places have (compared to the better ones) is undeserved. You can comment on how you think Jack Stack is good, and someone will look you right in the eye and say Gates is better. Whiskey tango foxtrot?

Famous Dave's I have only ate once, and it was not bad. OK, but won't knock your socks off. Definitely not Kansas City enough for this, though. Shouldn't we have a local flavor?

HemiEd
01-10-2007, 10:27 AM

No kidding, they will probably be about as successful as the Pizza Huts are around here.

Demonpenz
01-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Whew, I thought kansas city was going to mess this up.

Phobia
01-10-2007, 10:42 AM
I've never eaten at Famous Daves, but Chipolte is absolutely vile; the chain is owned by McDonald's and tastes like it.

Just say no to McBurrito. :Lin:

I'm as discerning about my food as anybody else and Chipotle is pretty darn good when compared to all the other fast food choices out there. I don't know what you've eaten but I've never had a negative experience at Chipotle.

|Zach|
01-10-2007, 10:45 AM
I think Chipolte is good. I like Qdoba better though

Redrum_69
01-10-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm as discerning about my food as anybody else and Chipotle is pretty darn good when compared to all the other fast food choices out there. I don't know what you've eaten but I've never had a negative experience at Chipotle.

The mexican mamacitas who worked at the one in Lawrence....one used to work out at the Outhouse. Everytime I went to Chipotles she would sneak in an extra burrito. She was hotter than a habenero tamale.

She had muscular thighs and would wrap her legs around that pole, climb to the top, and drop back down just by using her thigh muscles. One of the best dancers I have ever seen.

Dartgod
01-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Me neither. I like it.

Eleazar
01-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Actually, after some checking, McDonalds no longer owns any part of Chipotle. (although they just recently divested)

|Zach|
01-10-2007, 10:47 AM
I think Chipolte is good. I like Qdoba better though
http://www.qdoba.com/qimages/callouts/left/naked.jpg

Fairplay
01-10-2007, 10:51 AM
I thought Famous Daves was good.

There are better barbque places, but it certainly wasn't bad.

Phobia
01-10-2007, 10:53 AM
I thought Famous Daves was good.

There are better barbque places, but it certainly wasn't bad.

You're right - it's not necessarily "bad" but when there are so many other local choices, it's kinda crappy to see Famous Dave's in downtown KC with their ketchup sauce. Obviously the place is doing something right with all the franchise locations they put in. They're definitely making money.

Brock
01-10-2007, 10:56 AM
The mexican mamacitas who worked at the one in Lawrence....one used to work out at the Outhouse. Everytime I went to Chipotles she would sneak in an extra burrito. She was hotter than a habenero tamale.

She had muscular thighs and would wrap her legs around that pole, climb to the top, and drop back down just by using her thigh muscles. One of the best dancers I have ever seen.

Other than your mom, you mean?

morphius
01-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Me neither. I like it.
Add me to that crowd. I believe the original owner still has a lot of say about the food and menu at Chipotle, at least that was my understanding.

mcan
01-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Dont forgeet we have two City Officials under investigation ....Gotta love KC politics and how these crooks just get reelected

I'm not too worried about KC officials under investigation if they keep on making the city a better place to live. Pendergast and his underhanded politics single handedly kept the depression away from KC. In fact, I don't think KC would be much of a city if he had been "straight." We definately never would have gotten big enough to have sports teams.

Redrum_69
01-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Other than your mom, you mean?

Grow the F*** up

noa
01-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Gordon Biersch makes really good beer and has awesome garlic fries. I'm glad they are adding that.

Phobia
01-10-2007, 11:03 AM
I think I know Frazod's problem with Chipotle. That place started in Denver and branched out to areas in Colorado before going national.

Frazod
01-10-2007, 11:04 AM
I think I know Frazod's problem with Chipotle. That place started in Denver and branched out to areas in Colorado before going national.

No, my problem with them is that their food tastes like shit, especially the playdough tortillas.

But the Denver thing certainly doesn't help.

KC Kings
01-10-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm guessing the locals were not looking to expand.

Of course I see people all over KC rushing to go downtown to eat at the downtown Chipotle.
Local's can't afford the rent. There have been many articles written about local chain not only being unable to afford the new spaces, but some like Jake's Eat it and Beat It being forced to move and not being able to afford rent to stay in the area.

WilliamTheIrish
01-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Local's can't afford the rent. There have been many articles written about local chain not only being unable to afford the new spaces, but some like Jake's Eat it and Beat It being forced to move and not being able to afford rent to stay in the area.

Exactly. Manny's and Jackstack and several others wanted in, but the rent was huge.

jiveturkey
01-10-2007, 11:39 AM
It's going to be successful regardless of what they put in there. That area is now surrounded by lofts/condos and those people are going to be eating a quick dinner at places like Chipotle just like the people in the burbs. There are already a ton of new restaurants down there that suck but are super popular because of all the new pretentious downtown snobs.

And the area is probably as safe as they come when you're talking about a downtown. The East side is where are all of the problems used to be and even that is about to get totally redone in the JE Dunn new HQ project.

Everything between the new entertainment district and Crown Center is pretty damn nice these days.

But then again they probably should have checked with the Raytona Beach mullet patrol before picking tenets. o:-) :evil:

WilliamTheIrish
01-10-2007, 11:43 AM
But then again they probably should have checked with the Raytona Beach mullet patrol before picking tenets. o:-) :evil:

Brutal. LMAO

Eleazar
01-10-2007, 11:44 AM
The East side is where are all of the problems used to be and even that is about to get totally redone in the JE Dunn new HQ project.

True, but where are those people going to go?

Fire Me Boy!
01-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Jack Stack, Smokestack, OK Joe's, just about any BBQ place I visit is better than Bryant's or Gates, IMO. It's all good stuff, but the rep those places have (compared to the better ones) is undeserved. You can comment on how you think Jack Stack is good, and someone will look you right in the eye and say Gates is better. Whiskey tango foxtrot?

Famous Dave's I have only ate once, and it was not bad. OK, but won't knock your socks off. Definitely not Kansas City enough for this, though. Shouldn't we have a local flavor?
I've not been to OK Joes or Bryant's... bought a bottle of Bryant's sauce at the store once and didn't care that much for it. And I actually do like Gates' better than Jack Stack. I thought Jack Stack was good, no doubt, but I preferred Gates.

That being said, if given the time and choice, I'll make my own. Since I got a smoker a couple of years ago and really learned how to smoke good food, I've REALLY become a BBQ snob. There's not a better bowl of beans in the midwest than in my backyard BBQ.

Fire Me Boy!
01-10-2007, 11:48 AM
You're right - it's not necessarily "bad" but when there are so many other local choices, it's kinda crappy to see Famous Dave's in downtown KC with their ketchup sauce. Obviously the place is doing something right with all the franchise locations they put in. They're definitely making money.
Well, just because they're makin' money doesn't necessarily mean they're doing something right... rather that the food-going public doesn't know their ass from a hole in the wall.

If you're right, explain Rib Crib to me, please.

Phobia
01-10-2007, 11:49 AM
There's not a better bowl of beans in the midwest than in my backyard BBQ.
You're crazy.

Fire Me Boy!
01-10-2007, 11:50 AM
You're crazy.
You don't get any.

Fire Me Boy!
01-10-2007, 11:51 AM
You're crazy.
So, MAYbe... I've certainly not had any better. I'm not a bean fan, and I'll eat mine all day long.

Phobia
01-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Well, just because they're makin' money doesn't necessarily mean they're doing something right... rather that the food-going public doesn't know their ass from a hole in the wall.

If you're right, explain Rib Crib to me, please.

Well, they're marketing right. I know for a fact my BBQ knocks the socks off 90% of the food I've had at local BBQ joints. But could I put out 2000 slabs of ribs a week and sustain the quality, market, and still maintain the level of quality (and cleanliness) that goes into the 3 or 4 slabs I prepare at a time all while making enough money to pay staff, rent, and myself?

Who knows? It sure would be fun to try though.

Phobia
01-10-2007, 11:52 AM
So, MAYbe... I've certainly not had any better. I'm not a bean fan, and I'll eat mine all day long.

If you like the spicy, you'd like my beans. I absolutely adore my beans.

Fire Me Boy!
01-10-2007, 11:55 AM
If you like the spicy, you'd like my beans. I absolutely adore my beans.
Are we talking about the same thing? 'Cause if we're not, I don't swing that way.

:p

I like good spice, but not too spicy. I can't handle just about any amount, but oftentimes spicy overwhelms the flavor, and then it's bad.

Fire Me Boy!
01-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Too bad it's gonna be cold this weekend (with rain, sleet, snow)... I wanna smoke me a brisket now.

Fire Me Boy!
01-10-2007, 11:56 AM
/hijack

Bowser
01-10-2007, 12:00 PM
What, they couldn't convince White Castle or Jack-in-the-Box to open locations there?

dirk digler
01-10-2007, 12:05 PM
I think Fire Me Boy and Phobia should send me their beans and ribs and let me decide.

jiveturkey
01-10-2007, 12:07 PM
True, but where are those people going to go?Further East. The city is going to do everything that it can to keep trouble outside of the loop.

Drive up the cost of living and trouble will chose to leave on it's own. Lucky for trouble it will only have to move about 10 blocks East.

BigRedChief
01-10-2007, 12:07 PM
What, they couldn't convince White Castle or Jack-in-the-Box to open locations there?
I got one of those crave cases when I left St. Louis. 30 White Castle hamburgers in a suitcase. Damn good white trash eating there.

I'll vouch for Phobias pulled pork. As good as any here in KC.

Phobia
01-10-2007, 12:11 PM
I'll vouch for Phobias pulled pork. As good as any here in KC.

I didn't have any idea what I was doing the last time you tried it. It's much better now.

HonestChieffan
01-10-2007, 12:14 PM
My Beans kick your beans anydamnday

dirk digler
01-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Once again I will offer up my services to be the judge.

The winner gets a free subscription to WPI.

Dartgod
01-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Are we talking about the same thing? 'Cause if we're not, I don't swing that way.

Frankths and Beanths!

http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/1998_There_s_Something_About_Mary/Thumb/998SAM_W__Earl_Brown_001.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
01-10-2007, 12:20 PM
I didn't claim to have better ribs or brisket than Phil... just claimed to have the best beans.

I do think that my brisket, pork and ribs are better than any you can buy locally, but it's something I'm still working on, so a good home smoker would probably kick my ass in that arena.

And my chicken needs work. The flavor, texture of the meat is good, but I can't get a good crispy skin. Always rubbery. Any help on that end?

HonestChieffan
01-10-2007, 12:22 PM
I do a dynomite BBQ chicken Beans are damn good, and I cool beer with the best.

Fish
01-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Well, they're marketing right. I know for a fact my BBQ knocks the socks off 90% of the food I've had at local BBQ joints. But could I put out 2000 slabs of ribs a week and sustain the quality, market, and still maintain the level of quality (and cleanliness) that goes into the 3 or 4 slabs I prepare at a time all while making enough money to pay staff, rent, and myself?

Who knows? It sure would be fun to try though.

If you marinate it.... they will come.......

Seriously.... you should open KC's first BBQ Internet Cafe....

But what to do about those sticky keyboards.....

dirk digler
01-10-2007, 12:25 PM
I didn't claim to have better ribs or brisket than Phil... just claimed to have the best beans.

I do think that my brisket, pork and ribs are better than any you can buy locally, but it's something I'm still working on, so a good home smoker would probably kick my ass in that arena.

And my chicken needs work. The flavor, texture of the meat is good, but I can't get a good crispy skin. Always rubbery. Any help on that end?

Well send me your beans and I will tell you.

Eleazar

I bet Goatcheese could help out there.

Fire Me Boy!
Hire GoChiefs as a consultant... he's been dealing with that problem for years.

Phobia

I rarely do brisket. I vastly prefer smoked pork.

Have you tried to brine your chicken? Have you tried smoking a fresh (not frozen) chicken?

Fire Me Boy!
01-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Well send me your beans and I will tell you.
Heh... just noticed you're in Clinton.

I made a special trip to Clinton on Sunday for some Pizza Glen. THAT place kicks ass.

Fire Me Boy!
01-10-2007, 12:26 PM
I rarely do brisket. I vastly prefer smoked pork.

Have you tried to brine your chicken? Have you tried smoking a fresh (not frozen) chicken?
I've done both. I usually do a brine (first time, brined it WAY too long, heh)... and I usually buy those SmartChickens (never frozen).

Phobia
01-10-2007, 12:27 PM
What do you use in your brine?

Fire Me Boy!
01-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Pork is one of the first things I smoked... it's hard to screw up a pork butt. And they're damn tasty. I actually prefer the briskets, though.

I'm still on the lookout for some place that will sell me the point. Everywhere I go I can find the flats for sale... WTF do the butchers do with the leftover point? It's too fatty for hamburger, I'd think.

dirk digler
01-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Heh... just noticed you're in Clinton.

I made a special trip to Clinton on Sunday for some Pizza Glen. THAT place kicks ass.

You came to Clinton for Pizza Glen?

Next time bring me some BBQ dammit!! :cuss:

BigRedChief
01-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Easy but still funnyROFL

Fire Me Boy!
What do you use in your brine?
Pretty traditional brine: 1:1 salt/sugar, some pepper, maybe a few aromatics, but generally keep it pretty simple.

Like I said, the only trouble I really have with chicken is the skin. The flavor is good to great, but the skin is no good.

Fish
I bet Goatcheese could help out there.

http://images.worldofstock.com/slides/MES1614.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
01-10-2007, 12:32 PM
You came to Clinton for Pizza Glen?

Next time bring me some BBQ dammit!! :cuss:

Pizza Glen is AWESOME! Actually, was coming home from my parents' house and decided to take the "scenic" route... instead of up 71 from Joplin, went over to 13 up to Clinton and back to 71 from 7 right by Pizza Glen.

dirk digler
01-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Pizza Glen is AWESOME! Actually, was coming home from my parents' house and decided to take the "scenic" route... instead of up 71 from Joplin, went over to 13 up to Clinton and back to 71 from 7 right by Pizza Glen.

I like Pizza Glen and their salad is good. They have a really good deal you get 1 mini pizza and a salad for $4.

BigRedChief
01-10-2007, 12:50 PM
When I go that way I try to stop at Peggy's restaurant

Fire Me Boy!
01-10-2007, 12:51 PM
That's some damn good pie. I like the peanut butter pie. :drool:

HonestChieffan
01-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Substitute some Maple Syrup in brine,,,yummy And buy SmartChickens way way best bird you can get

dirk digler
01-10-2007, 12:54 PM

Is that in Collins?

Fire Me Boy!
01-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Substitute some Maple Syrup in brine,,,yummy And buy SmartChickens way way best bird you can get
I tried that once... and check my post, I said I always buy the SmartChickens. :p

One of the things I really liked was the unrefined sugar in palce of the regular granulated sugar.

Fire Me Boy!
01-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Is that in Collins?
Yes. And they have damn good pie.

Bearcat
01-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Hadn't heard the rumors about Hard Rock or Planet Hollywood, but I've heard rumors for a while that the 810 Zone was going to be there.

|Zach|
01-10-2007, 01:00 PM
I guess it would be good for the area but I can't get into those Hard Rock type places...Planet Hollywood's are downright shitty.

BigRedChief
01-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Yep go for the meatloaf and mashed or country fried steak and mashed and get the pie. Every pie is damn good we are talking way better than Tippins or any other that I've had.

Brock
01-10-2007, 01:02 PM
National chains suck for the most part. But KC apparently wants that quality of sameness common to most downtown districts.

BigRedChief
01-10-2007, 01:03 PM
I guess it would be good for the area but I can't get into those Hard Rock type places...Planet Hollywood's are downright shitty.
I love seeing the old guitars and pieces from old tours etc. The food sucks but thats not why you go to Hard Rock

Fire Me Boy!
01-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Yep go for the meatloaf and mashed or country fried steak and mashed and get the pie. Every pie is damn good we are talking way better than Tippins or any other that I've had.
You're right about the country fried steak! That's what I get every time I'm there (which isn't that often, but still...).

Eleazar
01-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Hadn't heard the rumors about Hard Rock or Planet Hollywood, but I've heard rumors for a while that the 810 Zone was going to be there.

Ah, so that's why Kietzman was pushing so hard for downtown improvements...

I've heard some bad things about the one down south anyways.

Stewie
01-10-2007, 01:07 PM

If you're truly slow smoking chicken you'll always have non-crispy skin. For my home smoking I use a Weber Bullet. When doing chicken I always disassemble the smoker and put the chicken (skin side down) on the bottom rack when it's almost done. It only takes a few minutes and the skin crisps up nicely. You can always smoke at a higher temperature which will crisp the skin, but the results aren't quite the same.

WilliamTheIrish

Really? I've been there. Food's okay. Service was good. Great place to watch March Madness.

morphius
Yeah, I remember them talking about opening one up down town, but hadn't heard anything in a while.

Phobia

Like what? I've only been once but it was pretty impressive.

Eleazar
01-10-2007, 01:09 PM

A couple of people told me food average, service poor. Probably just their two experiences on those particular days then.

Phobia
01-10-2007, 01:11 PM
I thought the food was surprisingly good - though pricey (but somebody has to pay for all that technology hanging on the wall). The service left something to be desired but it wasn't horrible.

ChiefsCountry
01-10-2007, 01:11 PM
I thought we were getting an ESPNZone.

|Zach|
01-10-2007, 01:14 PM
No KynTacoHut?

BigRedChief
01-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Been twice and it was good both times.

noa
01-10-2007, 01:15 PM
I thought we were getting an ESPNZone.

ESPNZone is cool, but it costs and arm and a leg to watch a football game there. Where I live, its $10 per person per hour.

|Zach|
01-10-2007, 01:20 PM
ESPNZone is cool, but it costs and arm and a leg to watch a football game there. Where I live, its $10 per person per hour.
Interesting, not surprising though.

I could imagine a whole room of people at full tables for 6 hours with a 5 dollar order of wings sitting there.

Not good for the house.

HonestChieffan
Kietsmans a turd. You heard it here.

dirk digler

Thanks that is what I thought. I have ate there a couple of times. Damn good food and pie.

ChiefsCountry
01-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Interesting, not surprising though.

I could imagine a whole room of people at full tables for 6 hours with a 5 dollar order of wings sitting there.

Not good for the house.

Yeah but with a Chiefs game, I am sure alot of hard liquor is bought.

|Zach|
01-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Yeah but with a Chiefs game, I am sure alot of hard liquor is bought.
:)

Pitt Gorilla
01-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Living in Iowa, I enjoy Famous Dave's. It's not Jack Stack, but it's not terrible either. Actually, their beef is quite good. Of course, I also enjoy Chipotle, especially the carnitas burrito with corn salsa.

cookster50
01-10-2007, 02:22 PM
You're right about the country fried steak! That's what I get every time I'm there (which isn't that often, but still...).
I've been told by coworkers that I have to stop by there for the pie. I also like country fried steak, so I have a question for you. Is there sausage in their gravy? TIA

StcChief
01-10-2007, 02:23 PM

As they drop a ton of $$$ on the existing Arrowhead/Kaufmann

that area will be developed by the time current stadiums close.

Bearcat
01-10-2007, 03:15 PM

I could picture people calling 911 because of the smoke billowing out of the parking garages around Arrowhead.

BigRedChief
01-10-2007, 03:27 PM
I've been told by coworkers that I have to stop by there for the pie. I also like country fried steak, so I have a question for you. Is there sausage in their gravy? TIA
Of course, big chunks. It's a place that serves food like mama/grandma use to make.

HonestChieffan
01-10-2007, 04:05 PM
It would be a shame...a horrible shame to EVER leave the current stadium locations.

BigRedChief
01-10-2007, 04:07 PM
It would be a shame...a horrible shame to EVER leave the current stadium locations.
Not gonna happen for at least another 25 years. They are locked in and paid for.

ChiefsCountry
01-10-2007, 04:09 PM
As they drop a ton of $$$ on the existing Arrowhead/Kaufmann

that area will be developed by the time current stadiums close.

And how long as the stadiums been there?

Skip Towne
01-10-2007, 04:12 PM
I like pie.

Fire Me Boy!
01-10-2007, 04:48 PM
I think so, but honestly can't remember.

Eleazar
01-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Not gonna happen for at least another 25 years. They are locked in and paid for.

It's good that we improved them, better than nothing.

I was just thinking that by the time these stadium improvements are paid off it's going to be what, 2031? The stadiums will be 60 years old. That is roughly twice as long as Veterans' stadium and Three Rivers were in service, and 20 years longer than old Busch Stadium was.

I'm wondering what kind of condition we will be looking at the stadiums being in by the time 2031 gets here.

ChiefsCountry
01-10-2007, 05:40 PM
It's good that we improved them, better than nothing.

I was just thinking that by the time these stadium improvements are paid off it's going to be what, 2031? The stadiums will be 60 years old. That is roughly twice as long as Veterans' stadium and Three Rivers were in service, and 20 years longer than old Busch Stadium was.

I'm wondering what kind of condition we will be looking at the stadiums being in by the time 2031 gets here.

Well considering they are basically getting gutted and redone now, we should be okay for a while.

Jenson71
01-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Famous Dave's is a the place to go for ribs in my town, but I think 97% of people visting Kansas City are going to skip out on having ribs they could just have at home, and would instead go to a Gates of Masterpiece (or the smaller joints). And we don't have a Chipolte's in town here, but I'm curious...

VonneMarie
01-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Those tenants, except Chipotle suck major @ss.

Famous Daves? :spock: Wow...

Fire Me Boy!
01-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Famous Dave's is a the place to go for ribs in my town, but I think 97% of people visting Kansas City are going to skip out on having ribs they could just have at home, and would instead go to a Gates of Masterpiece (or the smaller joints). And we don't have a Chipolte's in town here, but I'm curious...
OH GOD, NOT MASTERPIECE!!! ANYWHERE BUT MASTERPIECE!!! OH, THE HUMANITY!