PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from Peru..

Joe Seahawk
01-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Wow! what a fantastic place! I saw the
Inca ruins at Machupichu, ollatuntumbo, Pisac, Chinchero as well as the sacred valley of the incas. The Incan society was truly amazing.

We also visited the coast and stayed at a fantastic beach in a town called Punta Sal near the Ecuador border, very remote but breathtakingly beautiful.

They don't have much interest in American football however.. It took me until Tuesday to find out what happened in the Seahawk game, it was killing me! I also just found out the Chiefs made the playoffs that was a bit suprising but congrats (I guess?).

Anyway I have some pics that I can post once I resize them..

Dartgod
01-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Sounds like a great trip.

You missed a crazy ending to the Seahawks/Cowboys game. Congrat's to your team for advancing.

You can send a thank you card to Romo at:

Tony Romo
%Cowboys Center
1 Cowboys Parkway
Irving, TX 75063-4727

Delano
01-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Just out of curiosity, how did you get that trip set up? Did you go through a travel agency or figure it out on your own?

Redrum_69
01-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Inca poonanny is the best

dirk digler
01-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Wow that sounds like an awesome trip. I would love to see the photos.

Joe Seahawk
01-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Just out of curiosity, how did you get that trip set up? Did you go through a travel agency or figure it out on your own?

We have some connections down there as my wife was an exchange student there in high school. for my family of four it cost us about $7,500 for airfare (to Lima as well as several in country flights), all the tours and lodging.. The house we stayed at in Punta Sal was sitting right on the beach for $130 american per night ( 4 bedrooms sleeps 10) :eek: The power went out every day we were there and the water was gravity fed from a tank on the roof so the house was far from state of the art but it was still awesome..

I'll see if I can find some contact info on our agent for you if you're interested, she was awesome we had a train problem on our way back from Machupichu and she sent a bus to the train to pick us up, we were the first ones to get off. The train from Cusco to Machu pichu is frikkin hairy! The US would never allow a train to operate on those tracks.

el borracho
01-10-2007, 10:20 AM
I wondered about your absence here, especially with your team in the playoffs. Looks like you had the perfect excuse- I'm jealous. I can't wait to see the photos.

el borracho
01-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Recap of the end of the Seahawk game:

Seahawks took the lead, late. Looked like the 'girls would retake the lead with just over a minute left but the Seahawks held them to a field goal attempt from the 1.5 yard line. The 'girls holder (Romo) fumbled the ball. The Seahawks managed one first down but punted the ball back to Dallas with only 2 seconds left. Hail Mary pass fell dead in the endzone.

Rain Man
01-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Sounds like a cool trip! I'd definitely be interested in getting more detail since I've been idly pondering a trip to that part of the world.

Joe Seahawk
01-10-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm trying to upload some pics to snapfish but it keeps timing out..

dirk digler
01-10-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm trying to upload some pics to snapfish but it keeps timing out..

Hurry up dammit!!

:p

Mecca
01-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Well atleast you didn't get kidnapped........

How many Peru hookers did you come across?

BucEyedPea
01-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Sounds like a cool trip! I'd definitely be interested in getting more detail since I've been idly pondering a trip to that part of the world.
Yeah me too!

But I was afraid of the Shining Path in the area for safety reasons.
May Joe can comment on the security.

elvomito
01-10-2007, 02:15 PM
...The power went out every day we were there and the water was gravity fed from a tank on the roof so the house was far from state of the art but it was still awesome.....thats one thing i noticed about those little towns.. if there was sunlight in the day and not too overcast, the electricity was shut off. i guess they figure you don't need it.
Did you spend any time in Lima, such as Miraflores, etc? i love that place

Redrum_69
01-10-2007, 02:16 PM
When I go to Peru...I'm going to stock up on Andes Mints...

Redrum_69
01-10-2007, 02:17 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inca

Otter
01-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Redrum's Mom is like Peru; never too far from the coastline so she can keep an eye out for sailors, always turning out the lights in rooms that sleep ten and there are many strangers that have pictures of her snapfish.

Joe Seahawk
01-10-2007, 04:33 PM
thats one thing i noticed about those little towns.. if there was sunlight in the day and not too overcast, the electricity was shut off. i guess they figure you don't need it.
Did you spend any time in Lima, such as Miraflores, etc? i love that place

As a matter of fact I spent the last night in Peru (Monday night) in the Miraflores district (Juan Antonio Hotel) We spent most of the day wandering around that mall that's built into the cliffs.. I was amazed to see a Hooters in South America.. LOL

Buck
01-10-2007, 04:34 PM
I bet the Coke was Uncut too. Not that you or I would ever do anything like that.

Joe Seahawk
01-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Yeah me too!

But I was afraid of the Shining Path in the area for safety reasons.
May Joe can comment on the security.

Personally I never felt unsafe at any time, except when the train to Machu Pichu stopped in the middle of nowhere and said they were striking.. That was a little weird. Fortunately after only an hour the train resumed..

dirk digler
01-10-2007, 04:39 PM
This thread is worthless without pics.

Joe Seahawk
01-10-2007, 04:41 PM
I bet the Coke was Uncut too. Not that you or I would ever do anything like that.

In Cusco I chewed a lot of Coca leaves and drank lots of Coca tea to help with the altitude (Cusco sits at about 10,500 ft) It took me a few days to acclimate. One of the ruins we went to (Chinchero) is at 12,500 ft elevation, we went there at the end of a long day and got to climb a bunch of steps ( I'm frikkin sick of steps) That altitude really F's you up

Joe Seahawk
01-10-2007, 04:42 PM
This thread is worthless without pics.

I'll try to post some.. Can someone point me too an easy resizing site? I have had no sucess trying to do that today..

Joe Seahawk
01-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Testing 1...2...

Buck
01-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Testing 1...2...

Nobody asked about your sexcapades.

Joe Seahawk
01-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Cool it worked! This is a picture of some locals overlooking the Udabamba river.. The valley below is called the sacred valley of the incas, they grow white corn down there that has HUGE kernals. It gave them great political power in trading and so forth..

KC Dan
01-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Testing 1...2...
Your family sure has changed....:)

dirk digler
01-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Nice

Joe Seahawk
01-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Looking down on Machu Pichu (after climbing about a bagillion steps)

Buck
01-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Looking down on Machu Pichu (after climbing about a bagillion steps)

I would gladly climb a bagillion steps to see that, WOW!!!

BucEyedPea
01-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Personally I never felt unsafe at any time, except when the train to Machu Pichu stopped in the middle of nowhere and said they were striking.. That was a little weird. Fortunately after only an hour the train resumed..
Thanks Mr. Seahawk.
Now I have to go soon.

BTW your pics are great! What kind of camera?

Joe Seahawk
01-10-2007, 05:00 PM
An example of Incan rock wall construction.. They were incredibly good at this. Each rock fits perfect with no grout in between.. crazy!

Joe Seahawk
01-10-2007, 05:10 PM
My wife, kids and father in law walking along a trail at the ollatutambo ruins

Joe Seahawk
01-10-2007, 05:14 PM
This is a church in the town square of Cuzco..

01-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Good stuff Mr. Seahawk..thats some crazy ancient engineering there..

Joe Seahawk
01-10-2007, 05:19 PM
View from the porch of the $130 US per night beach house :D

Joe Seahawk
01-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Each Morning people would come by and sell stuff, this guy went out on a raft that looked like the one in castaway and catch fish with a net, then he would sell the fish to people in the houses..On this day my wife and our friend Vitalia bought one half of a fish approx 4 pounds. The guy went around the side of the house and filleted it for us.. Total cost about $2 US

01-10-2007, 05:35 PM
View from the porch of the $130 US per night beach house :D
Thats sweet!!

Skip Towne
01-10-2007, 05:46 PM
You really can't appreciate the US until you go to a third world country. Electricity is a luxury.

Joe Seahawk
01-10-2007, 05:55 PM
This lady would come by periodically and sell necklaces and other jewelry, in this picture she is making up something special for my wife..

If you look in the background you can see one of the fishermans rafts standing on edge..

Jenson71
01-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Joe these are so cool! Please post more, and congrats on having your team advance deep into the playoffs. Anymore churches I'd love to see.

Joe Seahawk
01-10-2007, 06:11 PM
I'll probably regret posting this one but have you ever heard of Pisco? It's a wickedly strong fire water made from grapes.. It makes you drunk..

Phobia
01-10-2007, 06:19 PM
I'll probably regret posting this one but have you ever heard of Pisco? It's a wickedly strong fire water made from grapes.. It makes you drunk..

Who is the dirty Mexican?

Skip Towne
01-10-2007, 06:25 PM
So you ruin the slide presentation with a pic of a drunken Gringo!

boogblaster
01-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Kool Joe you smoke any Gonge...