PDA

View Full Version : Who Is The Best?

FAX
01-10-2007, 01:23 PM
a) Offensive Coordinator in the business right now? (Someone who could run the old DV/AS scheme, or put up serious numbers, I mean? Not that it matters at this point, of course.)

b) Defensive Coordinator in the business right now?

c) General thinker and big time strategist. (In football terms, that is.)

I'm not so much interested in availability but, rather, people I can focus on in terms of how they do things. Your wisdom and insight is, as usual, highly appreciated as I look forward to increasing my football knowledge exponentially as a result of your informed responses to this somewhat ignorant thread thing.

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if repost. Sorry if poorly-thought-out post.

noa
01-10-2007, 01:31 PM
These choices apply to this year only because the NFL is about what you have done lately.

A) Marty Morningwheig (Eagles) --the Eagle's offense was #2 this year despite losing McNabb and various WR injuries. I like how they use Westbrook and Buckhalter as a combined attack. Maybe he's just the beneficiary of inheriting Brad Childress' work, but I think he did a great job this year through adversity. I was tempted to pick New Orlean's coordinator, but I think they have more offensive weapons to work with than the Eagles once the Eagles lost McNabb.

B) Rex Ryan (Ravens) -- no explanation needed for picking the Ravens D Coordinator.

C) Andy Reid. He can coach a team through any adversity imaginable and he always does a good job at replacing personnel rather than hanging on to players with diminishing abilities.

HonestChieffan
01-10-2007, 01:36 PM
I need to think about this. This is a question that cannot be answered offhand or with a "______sucks". I hope to gain insight into this myself as we see the discussion develop.

dirk digler
01-10-2007, 01:40 PM
a) Al Saunders of course :D
b) Rex Ryan
c)Mike Holmgren

HonestChieffan
01-10-2007, 01:41 PM
You still are a Saunders guy after this season?

Easy 6
01-10-2007, 01:42 PM
a) Offensive Coordinator in the business right now? (Someone who could run the old DV/AS scheme, or put up serious numbers, I mean? Not that it matters at this point, of course.)

b) Defensive Coordinator in the business right now?

c) General thinker and big time strategist. (In football terms, that is.)

I'm not so much interested in availability but, rather, people I can focus on in terms of how they do things. Your wisdom and insight is, as usual, highly appreciated as I look forward to increasing my football knowledge exponentially as a result of your informed responses to this somewhat ignorant thread thing.

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if repost. Sorry if poorly-thought-out post.

A) Despite his woes in Detroit, if you give Martz the right people, he'll murderize somebody. The 1 caveat is that he would need a strong HC telling him that runs are good too.

B) I'll go with Jim Johnson from Philly, players come & go, but his squads always beat somebody up.

C) I would have to agree with Reid in Philly, between him & Johnson its no wonder they are always highly competitive.

B_Ambuehl
01-10-2007, 01:57 PM
A: Mike Solari

B: Gunther Cunningham

C: Herm Edwards

Ok just kidding:

A: Alex Gibbs is the MVP of the league on the offensive side of the football - but he's not a coordinator. Mike Martz is one of the few free thinkers in this league.

B: Either Dick LeBeau or whoever the hell Marty's coordinator is in S.D. - Don't know who he is but he does a good job running that defense.

C: Herm Edwards (seriously) - Given that ahead coach is more of a symbol than an x's and o's guy, IF he wasn't involved with his coordinators......He's one of the guys, players like him, players wanna come and play for him, that's really all you can ask.

milkman
01-10-2007, 02:02 PM
A: Mike Solari

B: Gunther Cunningham

C: Herm Edwards

Ok just kidding:

A: Alex Gibbs is the MVP of the league on the offensive side of the football - but he's not a coordinator. Mike Martz is one of the few free thinkers in this league.

B: Either Dick LeBeau or whoever the hell Marty's coordinator is in S.D. - Don't know who he is but he does a good job running that defense.

C: Herm Edwards (seriously) - Given that ahead coach is more of a symbol than an x's and o's guy, IF he wasn't involved with his coordinators......He's one of the guys, players like him, players wanna come and play for him, that's really all you can ask.

SD's DC is Wade Phillips.

Who the hell cares if the players like Herman ****ing Edwards if all it nets is mediocre results?

That's all Herman ****ing Edwards has achieved.

And there are rumors that some of the Chiefs don't much care for Herman ****ing Edwards.

B_Ambuehl
01-10-2007, 02:05 PM
SD's DC is Wade Phillips

Ahhh....I forgot he was there. That explains it. What's funny is watching his defense and then watching a defense like Dallas...even when they had Ellis.

Who the hell cares if the players like Herman ****ing Edwards if all it nets is mediocre results?

That's all Herman ****ing Edwards has achieved.

And there are rumors that some of the Chiefs don't much care for Herman ****ing Edwards.

I guarantee you regardless of whether they're winning any games players think more of Herm Edwards than they do of Dick Vermeil...and DV was known as a "players" coach.

milkman
01-10-2007, 02:07 PM
I guarantee you regardless of whether they're winning any games players think more of Herm Edwards than they do of Dick Vermeil...and DV was known as a "players" coach.

And again I ask, who the hell cares.

Dick didn't win shit in KC, and Herman ****ing Edwards has about as much chance to rise above his mediocrity as I do of winning the lotto.

Kerberos
01-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Offensive Coordiator: Cam Cameron ....San Diego

Defensive Coordinator: Rob Ryan .... Raiduhs

General all around thinker: Scott Pioli .. Pats

I think Cam is really underappreciated in the "Grand Scheme" of things in San Daeggo.

Rob Ryan might coach for the Raiduhs but he has one of the best defenses that play great game after game even though the OFFENSE SUCKED ASS.

How many can doubt Scott Pioli as one of the greatest thinkers in the ACTIVE NFL?

RJ
01-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Some various guys I admire/think are real smart:

Norm Chow, Brian Billick, Rex Ryan, Bellichick, Andy Reid, Holmgren, Jeff Fisher, Ozzie Newsome.

Sorry for not following the thread format......I also often run with scissors.....a born rebel, I am.

FringeNC
01-10-2007, 02:39 PM
That's a tough question. If you'd have asked me before the season, I would have said AS is one of the best if not the best OC in the business. Now, I think he may need DV and Solari. There is no doubt that the team of DV, Saunders, and Solari were something special -- it's hard to know how to allocate credit among the three.

If you look at what New England has done the last 5-6 years, and to a lesser extent, what Philly has done, it seems that those are the best-run franchises. Is it their front offices or coaches or both? It seems to me the thing they have in common is not blowing money on 30+ players...

BucEyedPea
01-10-2007, 02:53 PM
If you look at what New England has done the last 5-6 years, and to a lesser extent, what Philly has done, it seems that those are the best-run franchises. Is it their front offices or coaches or both? It seems to me the thing they have in common is not blowing money on 30+ players...
Exactly!

King_Chief_Fan
01-10-2007, 03:02 PM
I am going with Martz on the OC. He took Detroit offense from 27th in the league to 7th.

HonestChieffan
01-10-2007, 04:33 PM
deserved a bump

FAX
01-10-2007, 06:10 PM
deserved a bump

It appears, Mr. HonestChieffan, that our fellow Planeteers are demonstrating no particular interest in developing an environment encouraging and advancing knowledge through collaborative intellectual cooperation.

Should have started a poop thread instead.

FAX

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-10-2007, 06:14 PM
A) Martz. was born to be an O-coordinator.
B) Jim Johnson. I don't think this is even close
C) Bill Belichick. The dude shut down the 2001 Rams in the Super Bowl. That was the most amazing coaching job I've seen this side of Boise State.

jspchief
01-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Ozzie Newsome for GM.

That is all.

Iowanian
01-10-2007, 09:01 PM
A) Martz
B) Romeo Crenell
C) Capt Hoodie or Jeff Fisher

tk13
01-10-2007, 09:26 PM
A) I don't know if they're the best, but somebody needs to mention the team of Sean Payton and Doug Marrone in New Orleans. They've done a masterful job with that offense.

B) Personally, I love Jim Johnson. He's my favorite defensive coordinator.

C) Gotta be Belichick. His teams are just so well coached.

Nzoner
01-10-2007, 09:29 PM
A) Martz. was born to be an O-coordinator.
B) Jim Johnson. I don't think this is even close
C) Bill Belichick. The dude shut down the 2001 Rams in the Super Bowl. That was the most amazing coaching job I've seen this side of Boise State.

What he said.

shaneo69
01-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Good thread.

Martz (OC) Compared to him, every other OC is boring and conservative.

Dick LeBeau (DC) I like his attacking 3-4

Belichick (strategist) Forty years after he retires, people will be talking about him like they do about Lombardi now.

Manila-Chief
01-10-2007, 11:13 PM
For an OC no one has mentioned Moore in Indy. He seems to be able to put an excellent O on the field.

Defense ... Baltimore's D seems to be great every year ... not sure it is the DC or the head coach.

C. Hank Stram was pretty good at this ... modern = Bill Belichick ... his teams always seem to be near the top every year.