PDA

View Full Version : Interesting NFL notes from the Czar

shaneo69
01-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Schottenheimer on thin ice

It may seem insane for those close to Marty Schottenheimer to hear this, but if Bill Belichick and the Patriots come to San Diego and stuff L.T. and beat the Chargers you can bet the mortgage that Schottenheimer will be unemployed next Monday.

This is why Miami owner Wayne Huizenga should wait to see the outcome of this weekend’s playoff game. Schottenheimer, who hasn’t heard word one about an extension in San Diego after going 14-2 this season, basically doesn’t even talk much football with the team’s general manager, A.J. Smith. It definitely is the worst football marriage among the remaining playoff teams.

Schottenheimer will be 64 next September, and unlike his younger buddy, Bill Cowher, he definitely wants to keep coaching another four or five seasons.

There is no doubt that Schottenheimer is a solid coach. It’s his 5-12 playoff record that the Chargers are very concerned about. Smith and Dean Spanos believe they have a Super Bowl worthy team and if they don’t make it to Miami, well, you get the drift.

Smith might turn the job over to defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. At least, those two men talk to one another.

Boring Bears played a role

The Eagles are very upset about playing Saturday night in New Orleans after winning their playoff game late Sunday night. They officially have the shortest time in which to prepare for their Divisional Playoff game. But the league definitely wanted the Saints, America’s new favorite team, to be playing in prime time on Saturday.

The Saints wanted it, too. Unlike the Bears, the Saints have an exciting offense and Reggie Bush.

Yes, the league could have shifted the Saints to Sunday night and had the Bears play early on Saturday. That makes some sense because Seattle has few national followers.

But that would have meant forcing the Patriots to fly across country and play San Diego on Saturday night. You can bet that owner Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick would have gone nuts. Like the Eagles, they would have been stuck with the short week and a much longer flight than Philadelphia’s. Fighting the winds this time of year, the Patriots would have been in the air more than six hours.

And that’s why the Eagles drew the short stick. The Bears are boring and Kraft carries more weight at the league office.

Why Arizona Loses

There are a lot of great things about playing and working in Phoenix. The Cardinals have a first-rate facility and their new stadium is an exciting venue. So, why can’t the Cardinals turn around their fortunes?

Because ownership simply doesn’t get it.

They should be turning over their football team, control and all, to the best man available. They made a semi-run at USC’s Pete Carroll, but the money and the control factor wasn’t enough for Carroll. Now, they apparently are allowing several veteran players to be a part of the coaching interview process. How nuts is that? An owner may want to ask one of his veteran players what he thinks about someone as a coach, but it should be simply to gauge the locker room. What head coach wants to accept the job knowing that the players didn't want him or preferred someone else?

The Cardinals may have better offensive talent than some NFC teams, but they will never win until the Bidwill family takes a bold initiative and steps away from the team and find the right man. I would have kept Denny Green for one more year and waited to sign Bill Cowher next year and given him the keys to the team.

Jones furious with Parcells?

If the story coming out of New Jersey is correct, that Dallas head coach Bill Parcells tried to throw his name in the ring for the general manager position with the New York Giants once his son-in-law, Scott Pioli, politely declined to be interviewed, Jerry Jones has got to be livid. Its one thing to want to retire and leave the Cowboys, but it’s a totally different issue to leave and then work for a divisional rival like the Giants.

Jones wants Parcells to coach his team next season. This news could jeopardize that situation.

Speaking of Pioli, his decision not to pursue the New York job may put the clamps on other teams pursuing him in the future. But who can blame him? He enjoys working with Belichick and the Patriots, and as long as Tom Brady remains healthy, New England will continue to be a Super Bowl contender virtually every season. That is not a bad thing.

Pioli has passed now on several opportunities, from Cleveland to Miami and Seattle. A lot of money has been tossed at him, but Bob Kraft pays him over $1 million and he loves New England.

FAX
01-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Nice post. Thanks, Mr. shaneo69.

The Parcells story is particularly interesting. If true, I imagine that Jones was livid. Can't really blame Parcells, though. The Cowboys would be a great match for Herm.

FAX

Deberg_1990
01-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Probably true about Marty. Ive been predicting a New England upset of the Bolts for the past few days. Marty has alot to prove this weekend.

Easy 6
01-10-2007, 10:17 PM
I hope Parcells sets the stadium on fire right before he goes.

Deberg_1990
01-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Man, its tough being a Chiefs fan....but its got to be pitiful to be an Arizona Cards fan...

Chiefnj
01-11-2007, 08:44 AM
How ironic and great would it be if Marty is fired and goes to the Raiders.

Reerun_KC
01-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Marty should be fired... If it wasnt for AJ Smith, Cam Cameron and Phillips as DC.. Marty would still be running his shitty MartyBall that Hermie loves so much...

Marty is a coach joke. Good bye Marty and hope to never see you coaching in the NFL agian... ****ing playoff chokeing loser!!!!

Brock
01-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Any coach who couldn't get THAT team into the Super Bowl deserves to be fired, not just Marty.

Brock
01-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Pioli is Parcells son in law? Huh, interesting.

KcMizzou
01-11-2007, 08:59 AM
How ironic and great would it be if Marty is fired and goes to the Raiders.That would suck.

chagrin
01-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Jerry Jones has got to be livid. Its one thing to want to retire and leave the Cowboys, but it’s a totally different issue to leave and then work for a divisional rival like the Giants.

Whatever, he's done this 2 times already, and his method of leaving the Jets and the Patriots was pretty lame, this is no suprise.

Brock
01-11-2007, 09:11 AM
I don't know why anybody hires Parcells anymore, he's a complete flake.

HemiEd
01-11-2007, 09:19 AM
How ironic and great would it be if Marty is fired and goes to the Raiders.

That aint going to happen, Marty truly does hate the Raiders.

siberian khatru
01-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Now, they apparently are allowing several veteran players to be a part of the coaching interview process.

I've never heard of such a thing.

FringeNC
01-11-2007, 09:58 AM
If it wasnt for AJ Smith, Cam Cameron and Phillips as DC.. Marty would still be running his shitty MartyBall that Hermie loves so much...

Pretty much...except Marty was right that SD should have traded Rivers and re-signed Brees. If San Diego loses, it's just as likely that it will be Rivers choking rather than Marty.

FringeNC
01-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Any coach who couldn't get THAT team into the Super Bowl deserves to be fired, not just Marty.

Don't underestimate Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. I think there is a good chance Belichick confuses the shit out of Rivers, and the Pats win easy.

Easy 6
01-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Don't underestimate Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. I think there is a good chance Belichick confuses the shit out of Rivers, and the Pats win easy.

As much as i am sick, Sick, SICK of the Pats, that could very well happen.

shaneo69
01-11-2007, 10:13 AM
I've never heard of such a thing.

How about the '86 Chiefs?

KCTitus
01-11-2007, 10:17 AM

Wasn't that the Frank Gansz hiring?

FringeNC
01-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Wasn't that the Frank Gansz hiring?

The Mackovic coup. I can't remember it ever happening to anyone else. It's happened to Mackovic THREE TIMES, I think. KC, Arizona, and Illinois (I think.)

KCTitus
01-11-2007, 10:22 AM
The Mackovic coup. I can't remember it ever happening to anyone else. It's happened to Mackovic THREE TIMES, I think. KC, Arizona, and Illinois (I think.)

Oh...Mackovic went to Texas I believe. Again, this stuff from 20 years ago is hard to remember. Way too many malted hops consumed between then and now.

FringeNC
01-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Oh...Mackovic went to Texas I believe. Again, this stuff from 20 years ago is hard to remember. Way too many malted hops consumed between then and now.

I forgot about his Texas gig. But I am pretty sure he was at Illinois and Arizona, and the players demanded he be fired or they were quitting, or something like that....

Edit: When in doubt, turn to Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mackovic

Wiki is a great thing.

siberian khatru
01-11-2007, 10:26 AM

That was a player revolt against a sitting coach where they demanded "their" coach, and the owner listened. Extraordinary in its own right.

But according to the Czar, here is management enlisting players to interview candidates for an open position, making them a formal part of the hiring process. That's a new one on me.

shaneo69
01-11-2007, 10:32 AM
That was a player revolt against a sitting coach where they demanded "their" coach, and the owner listened. Extraordinary in its own right.

But according to the Czar, here is management enlisting players to interview candidates for an open position, making them a formal part of the hiring process. That's a new one on me.

Kinda reminds me of the coaches who are given so much authority that they get to basically hire the GM that they will be working for.