PDA

View Full Version : Croyle Gets Ready

InChiefsHeaven
01-11-2007, 08:59 AM
From the KCSTar:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/16431587.htm?source=rss&channel=kansascity_kansas_city_chiefs

Chiefs rookie is preparing for the day when he takes over as starting quarterback.
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

If he were so inclined, Herm Edwards could say it’s time for Brodie Croyle to take the diaper off, figuratively speaking.

Croyle himself said as much, in a much more diplomatic way.

“I didn’t come here to sit and watch my entire career,” said Croyle, who just finished his rookie season as a backup Chiefs quarterback. “It’s time for me to be ready to play.”

Croyle is a principal figure as the Chiefs begin to consider their future at quarterback, both in the short and long terms. One veteran, starter Trent Green, played poorly this season. The other, Damon Huard, is scheduled to be a free agent.

There won’t be room for both Green and Huard on the 2007 Chiefs. No matter what the Chiefs decide, Croyle looms as either a starter or, more likely, the top backup who would get a quick promotion if the regular falters.

Croyle appears destined to be the starting quarterback by opening day of 2008, at the latest.

Edwards this week wouldn’t be dragged into a discussion about the Chiefs’ quarterback situation. But he is clearly enamored by Croyle, who he compares with Chad Pennington, his former quarterback with the Jets.

“He has to start preparing himself as if he’s going to play,” Edwards said. “That doesn’t mean he’s going to, but he’s got to get himself ready to be in that mix.”

The NFL trend is no longer to let a young quarterback marinate on the bench for years but to go through the growing pains immediately. Croyle, picked by the Chiefs in the third round from Alabama, was one of 11 quarterbacks drafted last year.

Five, but not Croyle, started at least one game as a rookie: Arizona’s Matt Leinart, Tennessee’s Vince Young, Denver’s Jay Cutler, Minnesota’s Tarvaris Jackson and Tampa Bay’s Bruce Gradkowski.

All except Gradkowski were selected ahead of Croyle.

“It’s all according to where your program is and what you’re trying to accomplish,” Edwards said. “Denver was the only one of those teams in the playoff hunt when they made that move. They were bold and went ahead and did it. The other teams went ahead and put a young guy in so that next year he’s already gone through this.”

A factor in Croyle’s favor is Edwards’ affinity for younger players. Croyle will be 24 next month. Green will turn 37 and Huard 34 in July.

“For what the Chiefs want, Croyle fits in,” said Russ Lande, a former NFL scout who now runs a draft Web site at www.gmjr.com. “Mentally, that will be no problem for him. Every quarterback struggles his first year as a starter, or most of them do. The physical side of it will be there for him, too. It’ll take him a while to adjust to being a starter, but eventually he’ll be fine.

“He is a good pocket passer with a good arm, but he’s not a real good athlete in my opinion. He’s adequate and for whatever reason in key situations in college I didn’t see him come up with that big play. That was my big issue with him. But he doesn’t make a lot of mistakes, and he’s a leader and a tough guy.”

That last sentence automatically makes Croyle Edwards’ kind of quarterback. Edwards values the intangibles as much as superior physical skills from his quarterback.

He doesn’t ask the quarterback to win the game — he puts that burden on Larry Johnson and the defense — as much as not lose it. Turnovers are to be avoided at all costs.

The Chiefs believe Croyle, an accurate passer with a strong arm, can be that kind of player as soon as next season.

Croyle missed much of training camp and the preseason because of a shoulder injury. He played in only one game, the final minutes of the blowout loss in Pittsburgh, and looked overmatched.

Two of Croyle’s seven passes were intercepted and one was returned for a touchdown. If Croyle was indeed overmatched, the Chiefs are counting on that to change quickly.

Durability is a major question for Croyle. He is small (listed by the Chiefs at 6 feet 2 and 206 pounds). He missed his senior season of high school and most of his junior year at Alabama because of knee injuries.

Croyle was vacationing in Alabama this week but realizes the need to add weight and strength after his return.

“We had Christmas this week,” he said. “We finally got that over with. I guess we’ll have New Year’s next week. Then it’s time to get back to Kansas City. I’ll come back at the end of January. I’ll start in the film room and throwing to some of the young guys as soon as we get back.”

Man. The youth movement begins...

Brock
01-11-2007, 09:01 AM
A youth movement would make having herm as a coach worth it.

Otter
01-11-2007, 09:03 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.

chagrin
01-11-2007, 09:04 AM
I don't know man, if Croyle is compared to Chad, I am not sure I like that, sounds like we are going straight to Marty Jr football, dinking and dunking it down the field. Which would be great if it were successful, but it won't be.

HemiEd
01-11-2007, 09:05 AM
I like it.

InChiefsHeaven
01-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Croyle has a strong arm...I can't believe we wouldn't be spreading the field with him. Now we just need a killer WR...and some OL...and some DL...and...ah shit...

C-Mac
01-11-2007, 09:06 AM
$20 says Huard ends up going to Oakland and haunts twice a year.

InChiefsHeaven
01-11-2007, 09:07 AM

Double yer money if Trent retires that we wind up signing Plumber...

...jk...really...

Brock
01-11-2007, 09:08 AM

LOL, chiefs fans are great.

Archie Bunker
01-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Bring on the youth movement Herm. It's about damn time.

NJ Chief Fan
01-11-2007, 09:16 AM
GET HIM SOME F'N OT's

StcChief
01-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Croyle will play in 2007 by mid season if not before.

jAZ
01-11-2007, 09:21 AM
I thought I learned here that Croyle was already a bust. :huh:

Coach
01-11-2007, 09:26 AM
I don't know man, if Croyle is compared to Chad, I am not sure I like that, sounds like we are going straight to Marty Jr football, dinking and dunking it down the field. Which would be great if it were successful, but it won't be.

Croyle is no where near Chad's physical standpoint. Chad's arm is a noodle arm, whereas Croyle's arm is a rocket.

I think what he was compairing is the mental aspect of the game, like dink and dunking, as well as not committing silly turnovers, but that's what I read into.

ChiTown
01-11-2007, 09:26 AM
GET HIM SOME F'N OT's

please allow me to finish your sentence........."or he will be dead."

ChiTown
01-11-2007, 09:28 AM
A youth movement would make having herm as a coach worth it.

Excellent point.

Red Dawg
01-11-2007, 09:38 AM
This would be a great move that will really pan out for many years. It's about time we started a young QB and stuck with him.

KCTitus
01-11-2007, 09:52 AM
strong arm? Feh...can he hand the ball off is what I want to know.

InChiefsHeaven
01-11-2007, 09:55 AM
This would be a great move that will really pan out for many years. It's about time we started a young QB and stuck with him.

Yup. We need to get into the rebuild mindset. We need to understand that he will probably suck his first season, but we need to stick with him and see what happens. I'm willing to face a season or two of suckage to build youth on this team.

kcxiv
01-11-2007, 10:42 AM
I think on one of them damn quarterback challenges for college quarterbacks he out threw Vince Young by like 4 yards, think he threw the ball for 68 yards while Vince Young had 64.

Eleazar
01-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Everyone yelling for a youth movement will be the first people to demand he be benched if he doesn't play well for the first couple of games.

crazycoffey
01-11-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm all for it, Green may want to retire, talk him into staying as Brodie's back - up, throw the rookie in the fire and see what we got.

Brock
01-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Everyone yelling for a youth movement will be the first people to demand he be benched if he doesn't play well for the first couple of games.

There's no pleasing some people. I hope they play him. Let's start moving this franchise forward, for pete's sake.

Eleazar
01-11-2007, 11:34 AM
There's no pleasing some people. I hope they play him. Let's start moving this franchise forward, for pete's sake.

Imagine... Green retires, but stays on as QB coach. Huard leaves via free agency. Croyle is the starter. He sucks for the first couple games and we're 0-2 or 0-3. We would endure a deluge of threads asking if it were possible, and why we had not already, resigned Green and suited him up. Or why we let Huard go. blah, blah. Or if he succeeded, why we weren't starting him since the day he was drafted.

The front office and coaching staff would turn out to be idiots, one way or another.

FAX
01-11-2007, 11:36 AM
How many QBs has Herm developed in his sterling career?

FAX

HemiEd
01-11-2007, 11:40 AM
How many QBs has Herm destroyed in his sterling career?

FAX

fyp

crazycoffey
01-11-2007, 11:47 AM

I was for sticking with green in the playoffs, I am for sticking with herm, and gunther, I will stand by brodie

BIG_DADDY
01-11-2007, 11:50 AM

FAX

Herm hates offense, I am surprised he doesn't want to just get rid of the QB position and snap it to LJ.

ChiefsCountry
01-11-2007, 11:52 AM

FAX

Chad Pennington

FAX
01-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Chad Pennington

Wasn't he already somewhat "developed", Mr. ChiefsCountry? Serious question. I really don't know.

FAX

jidar
01-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Wasn't he already somewhat "developed", Mr. ChiefsCountry? Serious question. I really don't know.

FAX

Well depends, he was the backup QB for the Jets when Herm got the job. Herm is responsible for starting him that year though and Chad took off.
I still remember him running out his first game as a starter and helmet butting the other plays so hard he looked a little dizzy.

FAX
01-11-2007, 12:03 PM
...I still remember him running out his first game as a starter and helmet butting the other plays so hard he looked a little dizzy.

ROFL

Well, that is actually encouraging, Mr. jidar. The part about Chad having been a backup, I mean.

FAX

King_Chief_Fan
01-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Imagine... Green retires, but stays on as QB coach. Huard leaves via free agency. Croyle is the starter. He sucks for the first couple games and we're 0-2 or 0-3. We would endure a deluge of threads asking if it were possible, and why we had not already, resigned Green and suited him up. Or why we let Huard go. blah, blah. Or if he succeeded, why we weren't starting him since the day he was drafted.

The front office and coaching staff would turn out to be idiots, one way or another.
they have proven in so many other ways...them being idiots would be nothing new

RealSNR
01-11-2007, 12:15 PM
I hope to God this situation doesn't end up like the Packers'. Trent Green is no Brett Favre, and I think Favre should have retired LAST year.

DaneMcCloud
01-11-2007, 12:40 PM

Green has already publicly stated that he has NO interest in coaching, whatsoever.

If Green has a career outside of the NFL, it'll be in broadcasting.

InChiefsHeaven
01-11-2007, 12:46 PM

Not me. I'm ready to have a perfectly reasonable reason for sucking instead of what we've had for the last...forever.

Developing a new QB and other younger players is a good reason to suck for a year, maybe even 2, but at least you have a direction you are going in.

InChiefsHeaven
01-11-2007, 01:07 PM
I think on one of them damn quarterback challenges for college quarterbacks he out threw Vince Young by like 4 yards, think he threw the ball for 68 yards while Vince Young had 64.

Yeah, that was the big deal. He supposedly had the strongest arm of all the QB's in the draft. Let's hope he is accurate with it...

CosmicPal
01-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Not me. I'm ready to have a perfectly reasonable reason for sucking instead of what we've had for the last...forever.

Developing a new QB and other younger players is a good reason to suck for a year, maybe even 2, but at least you have a direction you are going in.

I couldn't agree more. When you know your team is in a rebuilding stage, you can accept the losses a whole lot easier than when you truly believe your team is deserving of challenging for not only the playoffs, but the final whooplah of the year.

ck_IN
01-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Interesting article. The only reason to start Green, or Huard for that matter, is if you think the Chiefs have a legit chance to win it all next year. Otherwise it's time to admit that our window is closed and start developing youth.

The first year or perhaps two will stink but I'm in favour of starting Croyle and see what we have. I don't think he's starter material but until he does start we'll never know.

JBucc
01-11-2007, 01:47 PM
I think on one of them damn quarterback challenges for college quarterbacks he out threw Vince Young by like 4 yards, think he threw the ball for 68 yards while Vince Young had 64.Vince actually threw one about 70 yards but it went out of bounds and didn't count IIRC. But yeah he technically had the strongest accurate arm. I hope JaMarcus Russell does one of those competition things. That would be fun.

Chris Meck
01-11-2007, 01:49 PM
with an arm like Croyle's, there's no need to dink and dunk.

a lot of play-action.

htismaqe
01-11-2007, 02:20 PM
It's Brodie time!

Halfcan
01-11-2007, 02:22 PM
With Sucklari calling the plays and our shitty O-line, Printers would be a better fit because we don't throw down field and he can run for his life. Brodie would be meat back there.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Interesting article. The only reason to start Green, or Huard for that matter, is if you think the Chiefs have a legit chance to win it all next year. Otherwise it's time to admit that our window is closed and start developing youth.

The first year or perhaps two will stink but I'm in favour of starting Croyle and see what we have. I don't think he's starter material but until he does start we'll never know.

I agree. I don't think Croyle is a starter either, I think he's a wasted pick, but why not put him out there anyway to see if it's true? I hope I'm wrong and he ends up good for us.

htismaqe
01-11-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm interested where this "he's not starting material" sentiment came from.

The scouts pretty much agreed last year that if he could get into a conditioning program that would help him stay healthy, he IS starting material.

I have a feeling that because he's a QB and he was drafted by the Chiefs, it's automatically assumed he'll fail. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's a perfectly valid feeling.

FAX
01-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Brodie will be fine if the coaches don't screw him up. If I were a Chief fan, that's what I would be worried about.

FAX

Hammock Parties
01-11-2007, 04:07 PM
CroyleToWebb

Logical
01-11-2007, 04:10 PM
There's no pleasing some people. I hope they play him. Let's start moving this franchise forward, for pete's sake.:clap:

the Talking Can
01-11-2007, 04:19 PM
I'd be fine with starting Croyle and getting a top 5 draft pick.

Sign and trade Gonzo for a 3rd.

Then rock and roll in 2008.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-11-2007, 04:20 PM
I just don't think Brodie has "it." Usually you can tell who are going to be stars. That's not to say he can't QB this team, I mean, all he's going to be doing is handing the ball off.

Brock
01-11-2007, 04:23 PM
I just don't think Brodie has "it." Usually you can tell who are going to be stars. That's not to say he can't QB this team, I mean, all he's going to be doing is handing the ball off.

Yeah, because you've seen him play, like, 3 times. Right on, broseph.

El Jefe
01-11-2007, 04:26 PM
I dont think he is the QBOTF, but if we are going to waste a 3rd round pick I would like to see if he can do something. In my opinion it should be trial by fire.

Hammock Parties
01-11-2007, 04:27 PM
People forming any opinion on Brodie Croyle at this point, good or bad, are just shooting in the dark.

DaneMcCloud
01-11-2007, 04:45 PM
People forming any opinion on Brodie Croyle at this point, good or bad, are just shooting in the dark.

And this is something new to Chiefsplanet? :p

boogblaster
01-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Looking at the whole..if Green hadn't got hurt..if Al & Rolf had stayed..had Bennet been used more in the passing to the flat..plus had a couple more DTs been added, we probably wouldn't even be talking about Brodie Croyle....

FAX
01-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Bennet (sp?) is a ray of hope, Mr. boogblaster. I'm not sure if our new, simplified offense can handle substitutions very well, though.

I wonder if Whiffey The Diaper Boy will practice catching the ball this off season.

FAX

Chiefs Pantalones
01-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Yeah, because you've seen him play, like, 3 times. Right on, broseph.

LOL, the chances of Brodie working out for us are slim.

boogblaster
01-11-2007, 05:33 PM
That is the million-dollar question..If I were king LJ would be in camp a month early doing just that...

Hammock Parties
01-11-2007, 05:38 PM

You could say that about any quarterback taken in the third round. Hell, any QB taken anywhere in the draft.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-11-2007, 05:47 PM
You could say that about any quarterback taken in the third round. Hell, any QB taken anywhere in the draft.

Hope I'm wrong.

FAX
01-11-2007, 05:50 PM
He's still a project, to be sure, Mr. Vanilla Thunder.

But, he has tools. If he had not had the injury problems, I think he would have captured the attention of NFL scouts at a level equal to Cutler at the combine.

He has a lot of skill and he's a tough fighter, make no mistake about it.

FAX

InChiefsHeaven
01-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Bottom line, we don't know what we have in Croyle. Time to find out. Throw caution to the wind! Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

...and all that stuff...

Brock
01-12-2007, 08:32 AM

LOL and the evidence of that is....

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 08:37 AM

Now there's an objective opinion firmly rooted in evidence and observation...

Chiefs Pantalones
01-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Does his size concern you guys?

crazycoffey
01-12-2007, 08:49 AM

Only if we put him behind our line today.....

Isn't he bigger than Montana?

Brock
01-12-2007, 08:57 AM

did Trent Green's size ever concern you?

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 09:01 AM

He came in 10 pounds lighter than Green. I saw him from 10 feet away, standing next to Green, against San Diego.

No, I'm not at all concerned about his size.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-12-2007, 09:04 AM
I see.

I just hope he'll pan out for us. We really aren't cursed at QB, I guess the main concern for me is CP and Hermie having the patience to let him develop.

Inspector
01-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Croyle looked a little lost to me when I saw him play.

But, I also realize that Joe Montana, Dan Marino and Peyton Manning probably didn't look all pro in their first few baby steps onto the real NFL field.

Skip Towne
01-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Croyle has a strong arm...I can't believe we wouldn't be spreading the field with him. Now we just need a killer WR...and some OL...and some DL...and...ah shit...
:LOL:

Demonpenz
01-12-2007, 10:54 AM

Yeah Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Brad Johnson, all don't have "it" but they are superbowl winners

Fairplay
01-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Take off the diapers Croyle and show us what you're made of!

Demonpenz
01-12-2007, 11:00 AM
I have a feeling the chiefs are going to play until green hangs em up himself then we are going to give croyol a couple games and when he looks bad we will bring in a veteran QB