PDA

View Full Version : A day in Al Davis' office, according to Jon Gruden

Hammock Parties
01-12-2007, 12:11 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/01/raiders-al-davis011107.html

On Monday, Steve Sarkisian left the Oakland Raiders ' Alameda headquarters with a smile on his face.

It was either that, or the USC assistant was too stunned to change his expression after six blinding hours in front of owner Al Davis.

Shortly after the interview, Sarkisian offered a sneak peak into the typical Davis interview process.

"You cover issues from A to Z about what you think a coach in the National Football League needs to know," he explained. "You present a unique plan on how to get a proud and prestigious organization back on top."

The description was short, non-revealing and appropriate.

In other words, it was boring.

Leave it to the animated Jon Gruden to fill in the letters between 'A' and 'Z'.

Gruden, who led Oakland to a 40-28 record from 1998-2001, was the last -- and perhaps only -- head coach to candidly offer a play-by-play rundown of an Al Davis cross-examination. The current Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach sat down with the 77-year-old owner four times from 1996 to 1997 -- twice before then-head coach Joe Bugel was hired and twice after he was fired.

"That interview with Al...You sit up there, and he'd say 'draw an under,'" Gruden described, recounting the several questions Davis fired at him. "So I'd draw an under defense."

"'Draw an offense,'" Gruden recalled Davis ordering him shortly after.

The 43-year-old, as directed, grabbed his writing utensil and drew the legendary owner an offense.

"How would you attack that?" Davis then asked. Gruden, caught a bit off-guard, asked back, "Well, where's the safety support? What's the coverage?"

Davis' immediate response: "[Four-letter word] that! How would you attack that?"

Gruden likely asked no more questions throughout the interview.

By that time, the soon-to-be head coach was aware that Davis was like none other; the chain affixed to his eyewear is used to physically threaten up-and-coming prospects undergoing the interview process. The jumpsuit? That just looks cool.

Gruden then continued on.

"This is all in a bang-bang fashion. It's not like you're just having a drink here and you're talking about nothing but bye-week schedules, you're talking about an under-defense for Christ's sake."

Davis likes talking about it all.

Steve Sarkisian would know; he was in the owner's office for one-fourth of his entire day on Monday answering question after question.

Before Gruden was hired in '98, he recalled two specific out-of-the-ordinary questions asked by Davis:

"'Who's the best three-technique in the NFC East?'"

And, "'Let's say both backs flow strong, quarterback comes out naked. How would you coach that defensive end?'"

You can't prepare for this stuff.

"You're sweating. You're excited," Gruden recalled of the experience. "And most of the pitches he throws you -- the questions early -- you're dinging 'em. Everybody's hitting those."

Eventually Davis will work you up to a full count, though.

And then leave the mound.

"No one ever said, 'Hey, you got the job,'" Gruden remembered. "I don't think he still ever told me I got the job. I don't think anybody did."

"It's one of those deals. It was a strange thing, a very strange thing."

SPchief
01-12-2007, 02:31 AM
I can't believe nobody jumped on this.

Hopefully Al Davis will be alive until he is 132

Over-Head
01-12-2007, 05:30 AM
Hopefully Al Davis will be alive until he is 132
You Chiefs fans can be so hatefull when ya wanna be :deevee:
If I ever win the lotto (and he's still breathing) I'll take a hit out on the bastage! :fire:

HemiEd
01-12-2007, 06:40 AM
You Chiefs fans can be so hatefull when ya wanna be :deevee:
If I ever win the lotto (and he's still breathing) I'll take a hit out on the bastage! :fire:

Wouldn't it be easier, to just switch your fandom to the Chiefs? :D

Over-Head
01-12-2007, 06:44 AM
I'd rather someone stomped on my scrotum till my eyeballs popped!:shake:

HemiEd
01-12-2007, 06:47 AM

Dangit, that is some serious dislike. Almost as much as I have for the Silver and Black. :)

morphius
01-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Well, after the 2 win season, you already half way there...

Skip Towne
01-12-2007, 07:11 AM
When would you like to do it?

Over-Head
01-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Well, after the 2 win season, you already half way there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Chiefs
Chiefs sub .500 seasons since 1970
2-12 77'
4-12 78'
3-6 82'
4-11 87'
4-11 88'

0 SB’s
0 Confrence Championships
5 Division Champioinships

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_Raiders
Raiders sub .500 season since 1970
4-12 97'
4-12 03'
5-11 04'
4-12 05'
2-14 06'

3 SB’s,
4 Confrence Championships
12 Division Championships

From this stand point You guy's should already know how the Raider fans feel.
Execpt ya haven’t been to a Super Bowl since the NFL merger :D
And even though you've managed to sweep us 8 times, what else has your team got to show for their efforts?

TN_Chief
01-12-2007, 07:23 AM
...Well played sir, well played.

StcChief
01-12-2007, 07:50 AM
OH,
Go enjoy a nice warm smoke :bong:
since your living in the past.

Over-Head
01-12-2007, 08:01 AM
OH,
Go enjoy a nice warm smoke :bong:
since your living in the past.

At least we’ve won something since 93' :D

Chiefnj
01-12-2007, 08:11 AM
I'd love to see a tape of Davis interviewing Herm.

Al: "It's 3rd and 13, the defense is in a dime cover 3, what play do you run to get the first down?"
Herm: "I run it up the middle."
Al: "I said 3rd and f*cking 13, not 3rd and 3."
Herm: "I heard you. I run it up the middle."
Al: "You're going to run it up the middle on 3rd and 13? Are you insane you dumb sonumabitch"
Herm: "I'm not running a circus offense. I don't care about passing statistics. Let me ask you a question, would the Cleveland Browns pass the ball?"
Al: "What? My hearing aid must have died, are you questioning me?"
Herm: "The Cleveland Browns haven't been to the playoffs and they'd pass the ball, so is that the right thing to do?"
Al: "Your confusing me. I think I crapped myself. Interview over, somebody else will tell you you got the job."

HemiEd
01-12-2007, 08:47 AM

Al: "It's 3rd and 13, the defense is in a dime cover 3, what play do you run to get the first down?"
Al: "You're going to run it up the middle on 3rd and 13? Are you insane you dumb sonumabitch"
Herm: "I'm not running a circus offense. I don't care about passing statistics. Let me ask you a question, would the Cleveland Browns pass the ball?"
Herm: "The Cleveland Browns haven't been to the playoffs and they'd pass the ball, so is that the right thing to do?"
Al: "Your confusing me. I think I crapped myself. Interview over, somebody else will tell you you got the job."
ROFL comedy gold! umm wait, this sucks that it is accurate.

Rooster
01-12-2007, 09:02 AM

ROFL That is classic and most likely would be word for word. ROFL

jAZ
01-12-2007, 09:09 AM
You'd think that a knowledgable and engaged owner who can stump coaches like that during interviews... would have a much better history with coaches.

boogblaster
01-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Al wears depends and depends on dumb-assery to run his show..dont need that job that bad....

FringeNC
01-12-2007, 09:17 AM
2-12 77'
4-12 78'
3-6 82'
4-11 87'
4-11 88'

0 SB’s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_Raiders
Raiders sub .500 season since 1970
4-12 97'
4-12 03'
5-11 04'
4-12 05'
2-14 06'

3 SB’s,
4 Confrence Championships
12 Division Championships

From this stand point You guy's should already know how the Raider fans feel.
Execpt ya haven’t been to a Super Bowl since the NFL merger :D
And even though you've managed to sweep us 8 times, what else has your team got to show for their efforts?

Wow, those are some ugly numbers for us. Everyone knows about our playoff struggles, but we have only won 5 division titles since 1970!

AirForceChief
01-12-2007, 11:30 AM
2-12 77'
4-12 78'
3-6 82'
4-11 87'
4-11 88'

0 SB’s

Hey, don't sell our sub .500 seasons short. The Chief's were below that mediocre standard many more times since 1970:

1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, and 2004.

C'mon, give credit where credit is due!

Simplex3
01-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Yes, because we don't have enough stupid fans of our own we need to import them from the Fade.

Over-Head
01-12-2007, 01:27 PM
."
ROFL