PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Donnie Edwards a good fit for Chiefs

DeezNutz
01-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Don't disagree with JW, but this makes me want to kick G Rob. in the crotch even more. Get rid of good players, and hope to get them back at the end of their careers. :cuss:

Change comming for ex-Chiefs
JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

Previous columns
SAN DIEGO | Good news for Chiefs fans: If the New England Patriots eliminate the Chargers from the NFL playoffs on Sunday, Donnie Edwards and Marty Schottenheimer might both be on the free-agent market Monday morning.

OK, so no one in KC would be all that interested in bringing Marty back. But Edwards? Yeah, he’d look good replacing Kendrell Bell and reuniting with Gunther Cunningham.

Edwards is on his way out of his hometown after losing a three-year battle with Chargers general manager A.J. Smith. Two years after signing with the Chargers, Edwards started asking to renegotiate the five-year contract he signed with San Diego.

Edwards and the Chargers spent two years trying to rework Edwards’ deal, but eventually things fell apart. A.J. Smith tired of Edwards’ public grumbling and before this season tried to move Edwards for a second-round pick. The Saints offered a third. The Chargers balked and decided to let Edwards play out the final year of his contract.

So now the 33-year-old San Diego native will finish his career in a different uniform … just like Junior Seau and Rodney Harrison.

“I don’t know how I get caught up in situations like this,” Edwards said following Thursday’s practice.

Edwards was reluctant to elaborate on the record, but he was obviously referring to his penchant for getting in the middle of coaching-staff and front-office wars. Edwards’ San Diego career is ending exactly how his Kansas City career ended.

No one in football doubts Edwards’ productivity and reliability, but opinions are always split on his value.

In Kansas City, Carl Peterson viewed Edwards as the foundation to KC’s defense. New-at-the-time defensive coordinator Greg Robinson viewed Edwards as expendable and a bad fit for the horrid defensive scheme he planned to install. Peterson, out of loyalty to new head coach Dick Vermeil, deferred to Robinson’s foolish thinking.

In San Diego, Schottenheimer is Edwards’ champion. Unfortunately for Edwards, Schottenheimer has virtually no credibility with A.J. Smith, who in the last month has given two backup San Diego linebackers (Matt Wilhelm and Stephen Cooper) new contracts, sealing Edwards’ fate.

“I don’t know what I’m supposed to do,” said Edwards, who over the course of his 11-year career has been one of the league’s premier coverage linebackers and most prolific tacklers. “Hey, all in all, I’m blessed. I went to UCLA at 180 pounds. When I was a rookie, I weighed 220 pounds, and no one knew if I was a linebacker or a safety. Things have worked out for me. I can’t complain.”

Edwards made $18 million in five years with the Chargers. But he never garnered the kind of league-wide adulation that other “big-play” linebackers receive.

“I’m not a thumper,” Edwards said. “I’m not a guy who gets sacks. I play in space. I play in coverage. I make tackles, and I intercept passes and score touchdowns.”

The interceptions (17 in San Diego) and touchdowns (four in his career) are big plays, but they don’t lead to Pro Bowls or big paydays for linebackers. Edwards’ durability is amazing. He’s only really been injured once. He’s never missed a start in San Diego and has missed just two games in his entire career. He plays on first, second and third downs. You never have to take him off the field.

And you never have to spend one moment worrying about what he’s doing off the field. Edwards is the ultimate good citizen.

Shawne Merriman, the NFL sack king who was suspended for using steroids, will get much of the pregame hype leading into Sunday’s showdown with the Patriots. But if the Chargers’ defense is successful in slowing Tom Brady, it will be someone like Edwards who will pick off a Brady pass and swing momentum San Diego’s direction.

Edwards, even at 33, would be a great addition for the Chiefs.

“I’m a different kind of linebacker,” Edwards said. “I feel great. I can play for a long time. I’ve only had one surgery. It’s not really age that catches up with you. It’s the accumulation of injuries and surgeries. That’s what guys can’t recover from. I haven’t had that.”

crazycoffey
01-12-2007, 09:25 AM
I'd be happy to see him back, wish he didn't leave, get a good DT and/or MLB and defense starts to look more than respectable, maybe even fearsome.

Fairplay
01-12-2007, 09:28 AM
It would be on the tale end of his career. If he had a couple decent years left in him i would be happy.

Skip Towne
01-12-2007, 09:30 AM
He's better than what we have. It would all come down to money.

TrickyNicky
01-12-2007, 09:30 AM
At 4 mill a year? Maybe if we have the cap space to sign him, as long as its 3 years max. No 6 year Eric Hicks deals please, Carl.

I was surprised to learn that Edwards was allergic to grass and thats why he wear sleeves.

boogblaster
01-12-2007, 09:33 AM
yes yes yes... we need him badly ... bye Bell you piece of crap.....

Frazod
01-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Yeah, after he left to spend his best years screwing us for a division rival, by all means, let's bring him back at the end of his career.

Kansas City - the NFL's pre-retirement home. 4321

HemiEd
01-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Interesting that his career has been virtually injury free. When Carl stole him in the draft, it was due to his injury at UCLA, that left him available.

Wouldn't he be a better fit with our current defense, than when he was here previously?

Brock
01-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Yeah, after he left to spend his best years screwing us for a division rival, by all means, let's bring him back at the end of his career.

My sentiments exactly. F*ck that.

StcChief
01-12-2007, 09:37 AM

No sh1t.... Love to see him 1 year at a time....incentive laden contract.

wilas101
01-12-2007, 09:50 AM
I don't care much for the age thing either but let me ask a couple questions.

Is he a better coverage LB than Mitchell? Given the increased cover 2 being played it might be worth it to get a guy with experience, provided he can still get the job done.

Is he a vocal leader? Is he the type of guy that will take charge of a defense and make them accountable to one another? If the answer to these 2 questions is yes then he would fill a hole. Mitchell might try and take charge of the D but if he is in fact being dismissed or ignored by his peers maybe they would pay more attention to an established veteran like Edwards.

I don't know the answer to these questions but thought they might be worth some discussion.

CupidStunt
01-12-2007, 09:55 AM
There's absolutely zero point in it.

We ain't winning jack next year and we need to start developing younger players to build a true, championship-caliber team for the future.

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Get younger. No thanks.

Red and Gold Mania
01-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Let's bring Junior Seau in after his arm heels too. Make it a true senior citizens' community.

dirk digler
01-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Get younger. No thanks.

Yep

SLAG
01-12-2007, 10:44 AM
dosent whitlock think Jeff George is a Good Fit too

:rolleyes:

Basileus777
01-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Edwards is too old. We need more youth, not more declining veterans.

DeezNutz
01-12-2007, 10:50 AM
I can't disagree with those of you who argue that this would be a bad move because of Edwards' age, but if this move were to happen after a couple of things 1. OT 2. WR/DT (I'm assuming we go DT/WR in the draft) and the money was right, why not?

If we don't do anything about the o-line, then it becomes a meaningless move. 6-10, 7-9, here we come. Given the way Herm was alluding to his time in NY, these guesses might be more accurate than we're willing to admit.

BigRedChief
01-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Is he better than Bell or Fox? Yes
Do we need a 34 year old LB? No

DeezNutz
01-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Oh, and we don't need to crown his ass (best Dennis Green voice). Edwards could compete for the job when we hit on a sleeper in the 5th round. :rolleyes:

J Diddy
01-12-2007, 10:54 AM
I can't disagree with those of you who argue that this would be a bad move because of Edwards' age, but if this move were to happen after a couple of things 1. OT 2. WR/DT (I'm assuming we go DT/WR in the draft) and the money was right, why not?

If we don't do anything about the o-line, then it becomes a meaningless move. 6-10, 7-9, here we come. Given the way Herm was alluding to his time in NY, these guesses might be more accurate than we're willing to admit.

I truly believe we aren't going pick anything but ot and dt in the draft

I don't see us picking a wr, we've got webb who he's got a hard on for

DeezNutz
01-12-2007, 11:00 AM

You're probably right, but, if any of the big name guys fell to us, and no I'm not delusional so I know this doesn't include Calvin, I thought it might give us serious pause for consideration. Jarrett's probably a pipe dream after his bowl performance, but I don't believe he'll be the next Mike Williams, and I'd be somewhat surprised if we didn't pull the trigger if he were there.

HemiEd
01-12-2007, 11:03 AM

From the press conference posts yesterday, it was said that the front office is not worried about the OL.

DeezNutz
01-12-2007, 11:10 AM
From the press conference posts yesterday, it was said that the front office is not worried about the OL.

Not really. Herm was being a pain in the ass. He said that "he's not concerned." But then he went on to say, "But what's concerned? It is what it is, and we're aware of the situation." It was rhetorical bs. Something vastly different from Herm's usual responses. :rolleyes:

patteeu
01-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Is he a better coverage LB than Mitchell? Given the increased cover 2 being played it might be worth it to get a guy with experience, provided he can still get the job done.

This is the best argument for bringing him in. With Edward's coverage skills, the Chiefs could (a) take Kawika out when they are in nickle and let Edwards and DJ handle coverage, and (b) allow DJ to blitz the QB more since we'd have another LB capable of dropping into coverage.

But...

Get younger. No thanks.

I agree with this.

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 11:11 AM

First of all, they aren't gonna say ANYTHING at this point that even resembles the truth. They don't want other teams to know what they're thinking regarding the draft and free agency.

And if they plan on spending the entire draft on offensive linemen, it would stand to reason that they're not worried about the OL. :D

J Diddy
01-12-2007, 11:13 AM

If you came out of that interview with any kind of opinion of which way we were going you are a better man than me.

That was designed to put a stamp on the end of this year and give you fluffy stuff that you could read between the lines and maybe make an opinion.

J Diddy
01-12-2007, 11:16 AM
You're probably right, but, if any of the big name guys fell to us, and no I'm not delusional so I know this doesn't include Calvin, I thought it might give us serious pause for consideration. Jarrett's probably a pipe dream after his bowl performance, but I don't believe he'll be the next Mike Williams, and I'd be somewhat surprised if we didn't pull the trigger if he were there.

I think that everyone knows where are weakest link was this year: on the lines, considering herm is wanting a grinding running attack, with a stiff defense that's where he's gonna go. Unless we fall into some stud in fa, imo it's beef on the lines.

King_Chief_Fan
01-12-2007, 11:20 AM

Unless Herm is lying, he stated that we will take the best athelete available. :hmmm:

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 11:21 AM
I think that everyone knows where are weakest link was this year: on the lines, considering herm is wanting a grinding running attack, with a stiff defense that's where he's gonna go. Unless we fall into some stud in fa, imo it's beef on the lines.

If we reach for a 2nd-tier LT and pass on Jarrett, this team deserves to lose...

Hammock Parties
01-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Welcome home.

el borracho
01-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Hah! This article has it completely backwards. I would take Marty back in a second but have zero interest in a 33 year old D. Edwards. The Chiefs are on a youth movement, anyway. I seriously doubt if 33 year old, undersize, mediocre linebackers are in their plans.

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Hah! This article has it completely backwards. I would take Marty back in a second but have zero interest in a 33 year old D. Edwards. The Chiefs are on a youth movement, anyway. I seriously doubt if 33 year old, undersize, mediocre linebackers are in their plans.

Yeah, let's bring Marty back. As if replacing Herm with a former coach who plays the IDENTICAL type of football would somehow make all of this worthwhile...

:shake:

ChiefsCountry
01-12-2007, 11:35 AM
If we are going to sign a linebacker like Edwards, why not Cato June from the Colts? Same type player but younger.

Iowanian
01-12-2007, 11:35 AM
This kind of goes against the entire idea of rebuilding. A 33 year old LB isn't what I had in mind.

I like him better than Bell, particularly in coverage, but he's declining and I want a youth movement. I've also seen enough of Edwards' tackles 5 yards past contact to suit me.

No thanks Donnie.

Brock
01-12-2007, 11:36 AM

BPA always, barring a trade.

FAX
01-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Unless Herm is lying ...

"I'm not going to change the offense."

"This is the same offense."

"I didn't change the offense."

"We haven't made any changes to the offense."

"What's your name, boy?"

FAX

Walter
01-12-2007, 11:37 AM

Bell can't carry Edwards jock. Even at 33, Edwards would be a considerable upgrade.

el borracho
01-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Yeah, let's bring Marty back. As if replacing Herm with a former coach who plays the IDENTICAL type of football would somehow make all of this worthwhile...

:shake:
Marty's 2006 Chargers = 30.8 offensive points/ game (#1) and allow 18.9 points/ game (#7).

Yeah, you're right. Who needs that? :rolleyes:

Fish
01-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Marty's 2006 Chargers = 30.8 offensive points/ game (#1) and allow 18.9 points/ game (#7).

Yeah..... and that's 100% Marty...... :rolleyes:

el borracho
01-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Bell can't carry Edwards jock. Even at 33, Edwards would be a considerable upgrade.
D. Edwards is nothing special. If we want a fast, undersized, bad-tackling linebacker we should just draft one.

el borracho
01-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Yeah..... and that's 100% Marty...... :rolleyes:
Certainly, a lot of the credit goes to the GM for acquiring the talent but Marty has done an excellent job coaching them up (which was always Marty's strength).

How much credit do you think a head coach deserves?

P.S. I don't know why people are getting huffy at the mention of Marty- Marty is definitely an upgrade over Herm and, anyway, we all know it will never happen.

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 11:54 AM

ROFL

Rausch
01-12-2007, 11:57 AM
No thanks...

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Certainly, a lot of the credit goes to the GM for acquiring the talent but Marty has done an excellent job coaching them up (which was always Marty's strength).

P.S. I don't know why people are getting huffy at the mention of Marty- Marty is definitely an upgrade over Herm and, anyway, we all know it will never happen.

I don't think a head coach deserves much credit at all unless he does something VISIBLY above and beyond that contributes to his team winning (ie. Belichek). NFL players are ultra-talented - they are the ones who determine the outcome of a game.

Marty is coaching a team that is LOADED with 1st-round talent and it's widely known who wears the pants in his relationship with AJ Smith. Marty is along for the ride and nothing more.

Marty is most certainly not an upgrade over Herm. They are one and the same.

Fish
01-12-2007, 12:03 PM

Well.... considering Marty went to SD after they were coming off a 8-8 season... and he coached them to 8-8 his first year... then followed that up with a 4-12 season....

Along comes A.J. Smith, takes control, dominates SD's drafts, and the next year they put up a 12-4 season....

So no.... I don't give Marty that much credit.... especially when he still can't shake his playoff curse. Marty is by far the worst coach of any coach who has coached more than 10 playoff games.... and that's with 3 different teams. 5-12 in playoffs... No thanks Marty....

el borracho
01-12-2007, 12:04 PM
ROFL
Which of the following statements is most correct (in your opinion):

1. Marty is a better head coach than Herm
2. Herm is a better head coach than Marty
3. Marty and Herm are exactly equal in head coaching ability

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 12:05 PM

Fairplay
01-12-2007, 12:07 PM

Thats a good thread starter subject.

I will say number one though.

el borracho
01-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Oh, I see you have already answered the question. Well, I disagree with your assessment and could probably pull out win-loss records to support my argument but, really, who cares? I can't imagine any scenario that leads Marty back to KC. No reason to spend the morning on this imaginary topic.

el borracho
01-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Thats a good thread starter subject.

I will say number one though.
Yeah, I would say #1 also but I don't care enough to get all huffy about it.

I think I'm going to go tile my kitchen.

jidar
01-12-2007, 12:13 PM
No. You don't rebuild your team by overpaying veterans at the end of their careers. Bring on the youth.

FAX
01-12-2007, 12:25 PM
No. You don't rebuild your team by overpaying veterans at the end of their careers. Bring on the youth.

Actually, this is encouraging in a way, Mr. jidar. It may mean that the new, simplified offense will actually include a pass to the TE.

By the way, I came up with a new Chiefs joke last night. Here it is ...

What does a prostitute intern and Greg Wesley have in common?

FAX

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I would say #1 also but I don't care enough to get all huffy about it.

I think I'm going to go tile my kitchen.

Where did this idea about getting huffy come from?

I'm certainly not huffy. I'm not even mildly agitated.

Marty is a PROVEN LOSER and that's pretty much all there is to it.

FAX
01-12-2007, 12:36 PM

Give up?

FAX

Dr. Van Halen
01-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Youth movement doesn't mean that you start zero veterans.

Edwards would be a veteran leader on our d. D. Johnson and others would likely become better players for having worked with Edwards, etc.

You never want to go 100% youth. Or even 75% youth. Aside from CB, our defensive starters will be fairly young next year.

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Youth movement doesn't mean that you start zero veterans.

Edwards would be a veteran leader on our d. D. Johnson and others would likely become better players for having worked with Edwards, etc.

You never want to go 100% youth. Or even 75% youth. Aside from CB, our defensive starters will be fairly young next year.

27, 28, 29 = veteran

34 = OLD

J Diddy
01-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Give up?

FAX

you got me

ChiefaRoo
01-12-2007, 12:41 PM
NO - Too old

On second thought he would be better than Bell and if the price is right why not?

FAX
01-12-2007, 12:41 PM
you got me

They both blow their assignments.

ROFL ROFL

FAX

Dr. Van Halen
01-12-2007, 12:43 PM
27, 28, 29 = veteran

34 = OLD

You're probably right. It's just all of this talk about "youth movement" is sounding delusional. It's like any position where a rookie isn't starting must be a mistake. That would seem to be a mistake.

J Diddy
01-12-2007, 12:44 PM

They both blow their assignments.

ROFL ROFL

FAX

lol

Wesley however would be the pro at blowing

the intern, not so much

Skip Towne
01-12-2007, 12:47 PM

Let me know when Herm gets his 200th NFL win.

Bob Dole
01-12-2007, 12:48 PM
In addition to being a solid player, Bob Dole could dig the Edwards signed pennant back out of storage.

|Zach|
01-12-2007, 12:49 PM
So Marty gets a pass for never winning a SB in all his career and Peterson is still the devil?

ChiefaRoo
01-12-2007, 12:51 PM

Marty has more experience and is an excellent Defensive teacher but he's older now. Herm has more drive and "hopefully" can relate to younger guys and hopefully he is as good of a teacher but I doubt it.

Herm and Marty are both too conservative in the clutch. Marty has shown he can open it up during the reg. season but I doubt the old dog is going to change much.

I think Marty is the better coach overall but since were going with youth I'd stick with Herm. I just wish Herm would quit bullshitting and selling the fan base all the time. His schtick is going to get as old as watching DV cry and scream "you people don't have the balls that GRob has" <sob, sob>

Hopefully, Herm can draft and do the Free agent thing better than DV. Hali > Simms, Page > Wesley, Pollard > than Battle, Law > Warfield.

FAX
01-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Let me know when Herm gets his 200th NFL win.

Apparently, this happens in these sorts of arguments. Somebody wants to fall back on facts and numbers.

You well know that you can't just rely on a track record of wins and losses when evaluating coaching talent, Mr. Skip Towne. This league is about the perception you leave behind in your press conferences.

FAX

FAX
01-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Here's another one I made up.

What does a styrofoam jet pilot and the Chiefs offense have in common?

FAX

KCJohnny
01-12-2007, 12:54 PM
This must have been ghost written because its very measured and reasoned. Great write up, Jason. I agree with Whitlock. Donnie would thrive in Herm's Cover 2 because he can cover SO much space. Jared and Tamba are our sack guys. Bell does nothing, Kawika is being asked to do too much. I say move Kawika outside and give Edwards the MLB job. He's good for at least 2 years.

J Diddy
01-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Apparently, this happens in these sorts of arguments. Somebody wants to fall back on facts and numbers.

You well know that you can't just rely on a track record of wins and losses when evaluating coaching talent, Mr. Skip Towne. This league is about the perception you leave behind in your press conferences.

FAX

That and that whole he hasn't even coached 200 games yet

RedThat
01-12-2007, 01:01 PM
I agree with a lot here that Edwards is old.

On the other hand, I disagree with a lot here that say his play is declining. All Edwards has done throughout his career is proven that he is a consistently productive player. Even to this day.

*im a little mixed as to whether KC should make an effort in trying to sign Edwards. Mind you, I'm for KC getting younger. On the other hand, this defense could use some linebackers.

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 01:14 PM
KCJ makes a good point. Edwards is perfect for the Cover 2 it would seem.

If he's cheap, what the hell. Sign him. Gives us additional flexibility in the draft.

Archie Bunker
01-12-2007, 01:19 PM
He would be an ugrade over Bell or Kawika. I'd say Donnie has 2-3 good years left, in the meantime the Chiefs could groom a replacement. I'm all for it; if the price is right.

KCJohnny
01-12-2007, 01:20 PM
KCJ makes a good point. Edwards is perfect for the Cover 2 it would seem.

If he's cheap, what the hell. Sign him. Gives us additional flexibility in the draft.

I'm going to print this out and frame it. Parker and KCJ agree on a football point.

:toast: PBJ

ChiefaRoo
01-12-2007, 01:21 PM
One thing I would add. I don't think Kawika is very good in space and he misses way too many behind the LOS tackles when he blitzes. I have no problem letting him go in FA. If that happened they could plug Donnie in the middle but he is undersized and older and if the DT's don't dominate he's going to have big guards smashing him on running plays and guess what? He'll likely get injured. As and OLB he he'd definately be better than Bell but only for a year or two before age gets him.

If KC really wants to win next year they need two new LB's, a very good LT, a bigger younger Center and at least one dominant DT. Tall order. Otherwise even if you draft smartly over the next 2 years Green,Gonzalez, Law and even LJ (if he keeps getting 400+ carries) is going to get too old and you'll have to start it all over. KC needs to hit a two year window MAX and that means great drafting is required and Carl making HUGE moves in free agency that I have never seen him do.

KCJohnny
01-12-2007, 01:23 PM
He would be an ugrade over Bell or Kawika. I'd say Donnie has 2-3 good years left, in the meantime the Chiefs could groom a replacement. I'm all for it; if the price is right.

With Mitchell, DJ on the outside, DE at MLB, we could really focus on gettng a game-dominating DT. DE would also facilitate the youth movement at the safety positions giving veteran coverage over the middle of the Cover 2 scheme allowing Gun to get Pollard and Page more reps. This just makes sense.

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 01:29 PM
One thing I would add. I don't think Kawika is very good in space and he misses way too many behind the LOS tackles when he blitzes. I have no problem letting him go in FA. If that happened they could plug Donnie in the middle but he is undersized and older and if the DT's don't dominate he's going to have big guards smashing him on running plays and guess what? He'll likely get injured. As and OLB he he'd definately be better than Bell but only for a year or two before age gets him.

If KC really wants to win next year they need two new LB's, a very good LT, a bigger younger Center unless and at least one dominant DT. Tall order. Otherwise even if you draft smartly over the next 2 years Green,Gonzalez, Law and even LJ (if he keeps getting 400+ carries) is going to get too old and you'll have to start it all over. KC needs to hit a two year window MAX and that means great drafting is required and Carl making HUGE moves in free agency that I have never seen him do.

Don't plan on any MLB we get making alot of plays behind the LOS. That's the nature of the Cover 2.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-12-2007, 01:29 PM
I'd like to see Donnie back in KC as well.

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 01:30 PM
With Mitchell, DJ on the outside, DE at MLB, we could really focus on gettng a game-dominating DT. DE would also facilitate the youth movement at the safety positions giving veteran coverage over the middle of the Cover 2 scheme allowing Gun to get Pollard and Page more reps. This just makes sense.

Yet another good point regarding Pollard and Page.

We obviously need to get younger at several positions.

By signing one old Donnie Edwards, it gives us a safety blanket that will allow for us to get immediately younger at OLB, DT, and both safety spots. You can't be young everywhere...

tk13
01-12-2007, 01:31 PM
I have no problem with it. I think it would improve our defense, and I don't think it would detract from Herm still putting a lot of focus into the draft. It's a 53 man roster, you can't put 53 rookies out on the field.

People make the Patriots comparisons, but I think this could be exactly the type of move the Pats would make. They acquired guys like Dillon and Rodney Harrison who had some mileage on them, but were still productive at a better value than a prime-age FA. Plus, I think Donnie could be a leader, and this defense needs that to take the next step.

That's kind of the Oakland A's team-building philosophy, and New England is very similar. Develop a lot of young guys, don't overpay for your in-the-prime free agents, but also take chances on older players looking to prove something at a good value (Frank Thomas or Corey Dillon are great examples, maybe even Junior Seau this year). If the market for him goes out of control, then no, but at 33 I don't think he's going to get Ray Lewis money.

jidar
01-12-2007, 01:32 PM

You're out of your mind.

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 01:35 PM
You're out of your mind.

Yeah, that must be it.

Or maybe it's the 5-12 playoff record.

Or maybe it's the fact that only one other coach has Marty's same record of playoff futility after such regular season success.

I know I'll certainly be out of my mind this weekend after Marty loses another first round playoff game.

Archie Bunker
01-12-2007, 01:42 PM
People make the Patriots comparisons, but I think this could be exactly the type of move the Pats would make. They acquired guys like Dillon and Rodney Harrison who had some mileage on them, but were still productive at a better value than a prime-age FA. Plus, I think Donnie could be a leader, and this defense needs that to take the next step.

That's kind of the Oakland A's team-building philosophy, and New England is very similar. Develop a lot of young guys, don't overpay for your in-the-prime free agents, but also take chances on older players looking to prove something at a good value (Frank Thomas or Corey Dillon are great examples, maybe even Junior Seau this year). If the market for him goes out of control, then no, but at 33 I don't think he's going to get Ray Lewis money.

Great points.

I'm really starting to hope this happens. Carl says letting Donnie go was one of his biggest mistakes. I think he will push to get him back.

Mecca
01-12-2007, 01:49 PM
This would be very very very typical Chiefs, you sign an old aging player that everyone in this market is familiar with and will pay money for to go see.

It's a bad/stupid move to pay a 33 year old LB when you aren't close to winning but that isn't how the Chiefs do things. If the Chiefs give him a big contract it will just be another example of how stupid the people out at Arrowhead are.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Has the game passed Whitlock by? Sapp, Law & now Edwards. Jason know any players in their 20s?

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 01:55 PM
This would be very very very typical Chiefs, you sign an old aging player that everyone in this market is familiar with and will pay money for to go see.

It's a bad/stupid move to pay a 33 year old LB when you aren't close to winning but that isn't how the Chiefs do things. If the Chiefs give him a big contract it will just be another example of how stupid the people out at Arrowhead are.

And what if signing Edwards doesn't require a "big contract"?

ChiefsCountry
01-12-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm telling you Cato June of the Colts would be a better pickup than Donnie.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Edwards sounds like the kind of player the Pats would pick up on the cheap

Buck
01-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Damn, this was my nightmare. But just because Whitlock says it would be a good fit I don't know that you'll get him. As long as he doesn't go to the Raiders or Donkeys.

Mecca
01-12-2007, 02:00 PM
And what if signing Edwards doesn't require a "big contract"?

Well I have to see the contract but something tells me Donnie Edwards isn't going to come on the extreme cheap level.

DJ_is_the_realdeal
01-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Didn't they sign Eric "Burnt Toast" Warfield instead of locking Donnie Edwards to a long contract that year. That was a good choice. I think Herm is going in the right direction. Any true Chief fan had to be pleased with the record and making it in the playoffs. Crybaby Vermeil did it one year out of five. If anyone wants to blame anybody blame Peterson and Vermeil. Give Herm a chance.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-12-2007, 02:09 PM
They had little choice with signing Warfield, CBs were hard to come by at the time. Kind of like RBs were for awhile, now teams have two good RBs

Mecca
01-12-2007, 02:10 PM
They had little choice with signing Warfield, CB were had to come by at the time. Kind of like RBs were for awhile, now teams have two good RBs

You should have confidence in your ability to draft one to not overpay someone who isn't worth it.......

Oh wait Carl....draft.....nevermind.

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Well I have to see the contract but something tells me Donnie Edwards isn't going to come on the extreme cheap level.

Donnie Edwards will likely get something a little less than what Kendrell Bell got. And while his contract sounded big, it turns out it really wasn't.

CREATIVE STRUCTURING.

That's all it takes.

Mecca
01-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Donnie Edwards will likely get something a little less than what Kendrell Bell got. And while his contract sounded big, it turns out it really wasn't.

CREATIVE STRUCTURING.

That's all it takes.

I don't have a problem with a reasonable signing of a player like this......I just fear the Chiefs will overpay a 33 year old player, wouldn't be the first time.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-12-2007, 02:12 PM
You should have confidence in your ability to draft one to not overpay someone who isn't worth it.......

Oh wait Carl....draft.....nevermind.

If memory serves & it sometimes does not. Warfield was the cream of the crop in available CBs at the time. Scary

Mecca
01-12-2007, 02:15 PM
If memory serves & it sometimes does not. Warfield was the cream of the crop in available CBs at the time. Scary

I believe that was the same year we drafted Sylvester Morris.......what an offseason.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-12-2007, 02:17 PM
He was atleast smart enough to know (his)drafting was a long shot

stevieray
01-12-2007, 02:19 PM
I can see it happening, unless the commitment to youth carries more weight.

I know for a fact that he still likes KC.

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 02:22 PM
I don't have a problem with a reasonable signing of a player like this......I just fear the Chiefs will overpay a 33 year old player, wouldn't be the first time.

I honestly can't remember the last time the Chiefs really hosed themselves cap-wise by signing an old player -- Dan Williams maybe? Carl has gotten pretty good at structuring contracts so that they sound outrageous but really don't hurt us too bad.

CoMoChief
01-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Has the game passed Whitlock by? Sapp, Law & now Edwards. Jason know any players in their 20s?

Sapp had a great season, and is better than any DT we got. Of course for the right price would i only take him.

Basileus777
01-12-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm telling you Cato June of the Colts would be a better pickup than Donnie.

While June does fit the system, we have enough linebackers who can't tackle and constantly run themselves out of position.

CoMoChief
01-12-2007, 02:33 PM
LE - Hali
DT - Okoye
DT - Sapp
RE - Allen
OLB - Johnson
MLB - Edwards
OLB - Mitchell
CB - Law
CB - Surtain
SS - Page
FS - Wesley

I like this defense.

Iowanian
01-12-2007, 02:35 PM
While Edwards is undersized, old, losing speed.......I do agree that he'd be a decent Cover 2 LB....just know that he's not a strong tackler, and if he is the Mike, the Run D will probably suffer.

ChiefsCountry
01-12-2007, 02:39 PM
I believe that was the same year we drafted Sylvester Morris.......what an offseason.

Nope it was in 2001. DV's first year.

ChiefsCountry
01-12-2007, 02:40 PM
While June does fit the system, we have enough linebackers who can't tackle and constantly run themselves out of position.

Thats the same thing Donnie Edwards would bring.

Mecca
01-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Nope it was in 2001. DV's first year.

Are you sure.....I thought we resigned Warfield when Gunther was coach. And the signings in DV's first year were Holmes and the trade for Green.

ChiefsCountry
01-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Are you sure.....I thought we resigned Warfield when Gunther was coach. And the signings in DV's first year were Holmes and the trade for Green.

I am pretty sure it was 2001.

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 02:43 PM
LE - Hali
DT - Okoye
DT - Sapp
RE - Allen
OLB - Johnson
MLB - Edwards
OLB - Mitchell
CB - Law
CB - Surtain
SS - Page
FS - Wesley

I like this defense.

Page is a free safety. I won't even comment on leaving Wesley in the starting lineup.

ChiefsCountry
01-12-2007, 02:45 PM
I was wrong, Mecca. It was 2002 that Warfield signed the big money contract. That makes more sense bc Edwards signed with the Chargers in 2002. Talk about a worse offseason - Sims, Freeman, Omar Easy, Cadrez, Morton, other than Roaf talk about a loser.

el borracho
01-12-2007, 02:45 PM
LE - Hali
DT - Okoye
DT - Sapp
RE - Allen
OLB - Johnson
MLB - Edwards
OLB - Mitchell
CB - Law
CB - Surtain
SS - Page
FS - Wesley

I like this defense.
Where is last year's second round pick, Pollard?

dirk digler
01-12-2007, 02:46 PM
I don't why the Chiefs would sign Edwards unless it was a backloaded deal.

Anyway this is all speculation I highly doubt the Chiefs bring back Edwards.

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 02:48 PM

Sitting on the bench so that Page can play out of position and Wesley can continue to suck.

Mecca
01-12-2007, 02:49 PM
I was wrong, Mecca. It was 2002 that Warfield signed the big money contract. That makes more sense bc Edwards signed with the Chargers in 2002. Talk about a worse offseason - Sims, Freeman, Omar Easy, Cadrez, Morton, other than Roaf talk about a loser.

And we wonder why we have holes on our roster.......

CoMoChief
01-12-2007, 02:51 PM

While Pollard played well on ST, there must have been a reason why he never saw the field. Just another 2nd round pick that never plays.

Hammock Parties
01-12-2007, 02:51 PM
If Wesley isn't cut I'll scream. He has no place on this team.

FAX
01-12-2007, 02:52 PM

He is the prostitute intern of safeties.

FAX

greg63
01-12-2007, 02:54 PM
He's better than what we have. It would all come down to money.

Yep!

dirk digler
01-12-2007, 02:54 PM

If Pollard and Page aren't starting on opening day 2007 I will scream and punch Herm in the nose

ChiefsCountry
01-12-2007, 02:55 PM

Too really piss poor drafts in 2001 and 2002.

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 02:55 PM
While Pollard played well on ST, there must have been a reason why he never saw the field. Just another 2nd round pick that never plays.

He's a freaking rookie!

Herm drafted a couple of safeties in New York that played well on special teams their first years and now they're solid starters...

Calcountry
01-12-2007, 05:15 PM
He's better than what we have. It would all come down to money.Green must be gone, cause we signed Gonzo. Do we have enough rooom for a Defensive FA upgrade?

Then we must draft like hungry animals this year, otherwise it is over for years to come.

Brock
01-12-2007, 05:31 PM

You're about 3 years behind the curve.

Hammock Parties
01-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Green must be gone, cause we signed Gonzo. Do we have enough rooom for a Defensive FA upgrade?

Why would Green be gone?

I think we've got loads of money to work with.

KCJohnny
01-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Yet another good point regarding Pollard and Page.

We obviously need to get younger at several positions.

By signing one old Donnie Edwards, it gives us a safety blanket that will allow for us to get immediately younger at OLB, DT, and both safety spots. You can't be young everywhere...

Those worried about Edwards' age are probably not looking at it from the angle that we are. A vet like Donnie does allow us to get younger on the periphery with a tremendous savvy vet covering the middle of the Tampa 2 scheme. As for the age question, looks like John Lynch was too old, too eh?

WilliamTheIrish
01-12-2007, 08:57 PM
NO!

If we're going to commit to getting younger, then get younger.

Bad move.

Basileus777
01-12-2007, 09:20 PM
He's a freaking rookie!

Herm drafted a couple of safeties in New York that played well on special teams their first years and now they're solid starters...

Rhodes is more than a solid starter, he should have made the pro-bowl this year. If there is anything I trust Herm with, it is evaluating dbs.

Halfcan
01-12-2007, 10:18 PM
I was never really impressed with Donnie-a good player but never Great.

Halfcan
01-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Green must be gone, cause we signed Gonzo. Do we have enough rooom for a Defensive FA upgrade?

Then we must draft like hungry animals this year, otherwise it is over for years to come.

I will forward this post to King Carl.

Imon Yourside
01-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Since the overwhelming sentiment here is to not bring him in you can bank on 2 things.

A. Carl reads this board
B. Meet your new free agent acquisition Donnie Edwards

milkman
01-12-2007, 11:30 PM

I don't want Marty back, but I do think he's a better coach than Herman ****ing Edwards.