PDA

View Full Version : Here's what scares me...

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-13-2007, 10:40 PM
If you look at the 12 coaches in the playoffs this year, it's quite obvious that all of them SAVE ONE are better coaches than Herm. In fact, it's really not even close. Reid, Parcells, Belichick, Payton, Smith, and Holmgren are clearly better; Dungy, Marty, Billick, Mangini are also head and shoulders above Herm. He's probably a better coach than Coughlin, but it's really really close.

This does not bode well for this franchise.

Phobia
01-13-2007, 10:41 PM
This is what Browns fans used to say about Bill.

Hammock Parties
01-13-2007, 10:41 PM
How is Lovie Smith any better than Herm? Dude has never won a playoff game.

Dungy was chopped liver in Tampa Bay.

Hammock Parties
01-13-2007, 10:42 PM
This is what Browns fans used to say about Bill.

BINGO

greg63
01-13-2007, 10:51 PM
If you look at the 12 coaches in the playoffs this year, it's quite obvious that all of them SAVE ONE are better coaches than Herm. In fact, it's really not even close. Reid, Parcells, Belichick, Payton, Smith, and Holmgren are clearly better; Dungy, Marty, Billick, Mangini are also head and shoulders above Herm. He's probably a better coach than Coughlin, but it's really really close.

This does not bode well for this franchise.

No.

mdstu
01-13-2007, 10:53 PM
I remember watching a Browns/Chiefs game while I was stationed in Germany, had to be 94 or 95. We won somewhat without trouble and I remember watching Bill twist and contort on the sideline.

All I remember thinking was "Who the hell is this loser". Man how things turn out.

Phobia
01-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Redskins fans thought they had it MADE when they got Lombardi.

Halfcan
01-13-2007, 10:57 PM
So what if there are 600 coaches out there better than Herm, its going to be okay.

Skip Towne
01-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Redskins fans thought they had it MADE when they got Lombardi.
Lombardi had HankStramitis. He did great as long as he had complete control over EVERYTHING. Including the players.

boogblaster
01-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Herm has a plan..Herm has a plan....ask him ....

Believer
01-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Lombardi had HankStramitis. He did great as long as he had complete control over EVERYTHING. Including the players.

Yeah, that Lombardi sucked.

FringeNC
01-13-2007, 11:04 PM
No way Herm is a better coach than Coughlin. True, Coughlin's teams might mutiny, but you don't see these joke schemes from Coughlin. There is simply no way Herm can ever be successful in the playoffs.

Bowser
01-13-2007, 11:07 PM
Billick is the beneficiary of having all time great defenses, not necessarily a "better coach" than Herm.

Speaking of which, his gameplan looked eerily similar to the one we ran. I wouldn't call that good coaching.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-13-2007, 11:07 PM
If Herm can draft he will leave the team in better shape than his last couple of predeccessors. If you have been a Chiefs fan for long, you can cling to smaller goals

suds79
01-13-2007, 11:19 PM
I think this thread over emphasizes the value of a HC.

You gotta have the players to win.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-13-2007, 11:28 PM

Like we did in '95, right?

Mecca
01-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Billick is the beneficiary of having all time great defenses, not necessarily a "better coach" than Herm.

Speaking of which, his gameplan looked eerily similar to the one we ran. I wouldn't call that good coaching.

I'd say Billick is the beneficiary of having a great GM that knows how to draft......the Ravens rarely blow picks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-13-2007, 11:32 PM
I'd say Billick is the beneficiary of having a great GM that knows how to draft......the Ravens rarely blow picks.

But they have put themselves in cap hell before. They run on boom-bust cycles. I don't like Billick at all, but I do think he's better than Herm.

Bowser
01-13-2007, 11:34 PM

I'll agree with that, as well.

Halfcan
01-14-2007, 12:26 AM
What scares me.......Clowns, I have never liked them.

Buck
01-14-2007, 12:29 AM
HERM IS WHO YOU THOUGHT HE WAS, IF YOU WANNA CROWN HIS ASS THEN CROWN HIM.

Imon Yourside
01-14-2007, 12:40 AM

you WILL die by my hands, no one hates clowns and gets away with it. :shake:

TinyEvel
01-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Well.....Art Shell's available.

Buck
01-14-2007, 12:44 AM
you WILL die by my hands, no one hates clowns and gets away with it. :shake:

If the Chargers lose tommorow, Marty Schottenheimer hates clowns, if you catch my drift.

KChiefer
01-14-2007, 12:53 AM
If the Chargers lose tommorow, Marty Schottenheimer hates clowns, if you catch my drift.

Belichick is John Wayne Gacy???

RJ
01-14-2007, 12:56 AM

And midgets. Midgets are creepy. And midget clowns? I don't even like to think about it.

RJ
01-14-2007, 01:00 AM

I think you are under-emphasizing their value.

My guess is that NFL coaches are probably much like managers in other walks of life. The smarter they are and the harder they work the luckier they will get.

KChiefer
01-14-2007, 01:01 AM
And midgets. Midgets are creepy. And midget clowns? I don't even like to think about it.

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/midget_clown.jpg http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/c/c9/180px-Doink_the_clown.jpg

HOLY CRAP THEY EXIST!!! BE AFRAID, VERY AFRAID!!!

suds79
01-14-2007, 01:12 AM
But they have put themselves in cap hell before. They run on boom-bust cycles. I don't like Billick at all, but I do think he's better than Herm.

Exactly! They get it. They go for it and then retool when it doesn't work while loading up on draft picks.

Given the fact that they've won a SB recently, I'd say they know what they're doing rather than being mediocre year in an year out.

suds79
01-14-2007, 01:15 AM
I think you are under-emphasizing their value.

My guess is that NFL coaches are probably much like managers in other walks of life. The smarter they are and the harder they work the luckier they will get.

If you mean "the harder they work the luckier they will get" as in drafting a Tom Brady in the 7th round? Then yeah I'm with you on coaching.

Halfcan
01-14-2007, 01:57 AM
http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/midget_clown.jpg http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/c/c9/180px-Doink_the_clown.jpg

HOLY CRAP THEY EXIST!!! BE AFRAID, VERY AFRAID!!!

Great! Now I am going to have bad dreams.

RealSNR
01-14-2007, 02:06 AM
Redskins fans thought they had it MADE when they got Lombardi.I hardly think having a legendary coach get colorectal cancer after the first season disproves the statement.

pikesome
01-14-2007, 02:42 AM
I hardly think having a legendary coach get colorectal cancer after the first season disproves the statement.

The Joe Gibbs situation isn't exactly the same but close. (HOF coach comes in=print SB tickets)

patteeu
01-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Like we did in '95, right?

Steve Bono?

HonestChieffan
01-14-2007, 09:45 AM
Its like picking the tallest midget for a basketball team in some cases. Ours isnt the tallest.

Calcountry
01-15-2007, 02:48 PM
HERM IS WHO YOU THOUGHT HE WAS, IF YOU WANNA CROWN HIS ASS THEN CROWN HIM.Marty is who we KNOW he is. Chew on it.

Halfcan
01-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Marty is who we KNOW he is. Chew on it.

ROFL How freakin true is that!

Redrum_69
01-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Gochiefs is about due to post a link from WPI.....anytime now....

plbrdude
01-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Marty is who we KNOW he is. Chew on it.

quite possible he'll "CHOKE" on it.

Mr. Laz
01-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Gochiefs is about due to post a link from WPI.....anytime now....
ROFL

heh ... i just wish the first person that respond to his "links" would copy and paste the whole story.

then he'd stop getting the "spam" value out of it.

Alphaman
01-15-2007, 07:58 PM
You know you can talk all day long about how bad of a coach you think Herm is, but there aren't a lot of coaches that would have gotten this team into the playoffs.

When you consider the timing of the Roaf loss as well as the injuries at RT, the injury to Green, and the lack of talent at DT, he did a pretty good job of getting this team to overcome adversity.

donkhater
01-15-2007, 09:12 PM
You guys are way overestimating the talent on this team. If not then you must admit Herm did a fine job his first season. The playoffs sucked and that is what everyone is basing their opinions on, I'm guessing. Had Denver or Cincy got in instead of KC, I think the board would be singing a very different tune.

Is Vermiel better HC than Herm? He went to 2 SB and won one. Then he went 1/5 getting to the playoffs with this team. Don't be diluted to the offensive prowess this team displayed the last 5 years. The defense was one of the WORST inthe history of the game. THAT is the sign of a bad Head coach.

I'm not entirely on the Herm bandwagon, but I think it's amazing that he was able to get this team in the playoffs with his starting QB on the bench half the season and the age the team was obviously beginning to show. You can tell that he knows he needs to get younger and make tough decisions. Something that we haven't had in a head coach in years. I'm looking forward to it.

donkhater
01-15-2007, 09:13 PM
You know you can talk all day long about how bad of a coach you think Herm is, but there aren't a lot of coaches that would have gotten this team into the playoffs.

When you consider the timing of the Roaf loss as well as the injuries at RT, the injury to Green, and the lack of talent at DT, he did a pretty good job of getting this team to overcome adversity.
Yep. beat me to it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-15-2007, 09:21 PM
You guys are way overestimating the talent on this team. If not then you must admit Herm did a fine job his first season. The playoffs sucked and that is what everyone is basing their opinions on, I'm guessing. Had Denver or Cincy got in instead of KC, I think the board would be singing a very different tune.

Is Vermiel better HC than Herm? He went to 2 SB and won one. Then he went 1/5 getting to the playoffs with this team. Don't be diluted to the offensive prowess this team displayed the last 5 years. The defense was one of the WORST inthe history of the game. THAT is the sign of a bad Head coach.

I'm not entirely on the Herm bandwagon, but I think it's amazing that he was able to get this team in the playoffs with his starting QB on the bench half the season and the age the team was obviously beginning to show. You can tell that he knows he needs to get younger and make tough decisions. Something that we haven't had in a head coach in years. I'm looking forward to it.

Ball control, smashmouth football combined with an easy schedule and an incredibly fortuitous final week is an excellent recipe for getting in the playoffs. Once there, it almost never works.

TEX
01-15-2007, 10:11 PM

Nonsense. Any coach that ran L.J. to death and had that schedule would have done the same.

Believer
01-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Only 2 things scare me. And one is nuclear war.

The other?
Carneys. Circus folk. Small hands. Smell like cabbage.

Rain Man
01-16-2007, 12:58 AM

What were our injuries this year?

Starting QB for 8 or 9 games.
Starting FB for 8 or 9 games.
Starting LT for about 12 games.
Starting RT (suspended) for about 8 games.
Starting SLB for about 4 games.
Starting LDE for a couple of games.

Anyone else?

That seems pretty bad on offense, but the defense was actually pretty healthy all year.

donkhater
01-16-2007, 07:07 AM
Amazing.

This team makes the playoffs for only the second time in the last decade and people rip on the coach.

Honestly, Herm is wishing now he hadn't made the playoffs. He'd be getting much more good will. This board and the media ARE basing his season on one game.

This team's offensive talent is average to below average across the board save for three players (Waters, Gonzo and LJ). This team not only has no Pro-Bowl defensive players, it doesn't have any ALTERNATE Pro-Bowl defensive players either. And no it isn't just a popularity contest.

As for the schedule, the AFCWest is always competivitve. The AFCNorth was deep and Jacksonville and Miami were no pushovers this season. I don't now where anyone gets the idea that we had a cupcake schedule.

Herm's got issues. I fear that he is Marty Jr. and won't take the chances you need to get to the big game. But he did a pretty good job this year getting this team into the playoffs and (at least publicly) has said that he is committed to getting this team younger which has been a LONG time coming. You all should jerk that knee back into the socket.