PDA

View Full Version : If the Chiefs wanted to follow the Pats blueprint..

Wile_E_Coyote
01-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Well, we don't have the coach. I'm talking about personnel decisions. Re-signing Gonzo does not sound like a Pat move. Do they pick up cheap FAs & draft well?

BucEyedPea
01-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Well, that isn't all to it. Pats draft players that will fit their system. So they draft intelligent players too. You can't just be a dumb jock to play for the Pats.

Skip Towne
01-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Well, that isn't all to it. Pats draft players that will fit their system. So they draft intelligent players too. You can't just be a dumb jock to play for the Pats.
Really? Then why did they pick up (and discard) Beisel, Warfield and Cloud from the Chiefs? It seems to me they just try out numerous players until they find a fit. Nothing to do with intelligence.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-15-2007, 03:33 PM
First of all, they have very good coaches who can "coach up" the players. Look at the progression Asante Samuel has made his first 3 years in the league.

Secondly, they set a value for their guys, and they don't go one penny over that value.

Thirdly, they bring in intelligent players with good skill sets over dumb players with amazing skill sets...
Harrison, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour are all very smart guys.

Fourthly, they have game-specific plans. They aren't like the Chiefs...they don't decide to run the ball against everyone because that's who they are. They evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the team they are facing, as well as their own, and they attack accordingly.

BucEyedPea
01-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Pats are known for lookng at intelligence when drafting because their schemes require it.

I guess trying out FA's is different. I don't know but I was talking about how they draft. Obviously some FA's can't cut it either way. Not saying they don't have to play well either Pats also had to sign guys off the street too.

Hamas, Brady is also very intelligent as is Belichick. He's a more cerebral coach. Oh, and I agree with your well written post as well, particularly about how they coach-up players well. That is to fit their system. Notice how some don't go anywhere or make a difference after they leave?

JakeT
01-15-2007, 03:36 PM
adding to last post

Fifthly -- They can evaluate talent -- it took the Chiefs 7 years to figure out Warfield sucked at corner the Pat got it in one pre-season

sedated
01-15-2007, 03:40 PM
We don't have Tom Brady

Sure-Oz
01-15-2007, 03:45 PM
What works for the Pat's won't necessarilty work for us. They have excellent coaching and guys who believe in it. We have subpar coaching and only some guys believe in it.

HemiEd
01-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Fourthly, they have game-specific plans. They aren't like the Chiefs...they don't decide to run the ball against everyone because that's who they are. They evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the team they are facing, as well as their own, and they attack accordingly.

Bingo!

Eric
01-15-2007, 03:54 PM
DTs Seymour and Woolfork aren't brain surgeons.

Sure-Oz
01-15-2007, 03:54 PM
First of all, they have very good coaches who can "coach up" the players. Look at the progression Asante Samuel has made his first 3 years in the league.

Secondly, they set a value for their guys, and they don't go one penny over that value.

Thirdly, they bring in intelligent players with good skill sets over dumb players with amazing skill sets...

Their coaches were able to figure out what "making adjustements" means, unlike ours.

NaptownChief
01-15-2007, 03:56 PM
There are many reasons why we aren't the Pats from them having a good GM, great coach and Tom Brady. But I don't think they would have paid Gonzo that type of money at this stage in his career.

I'm guessing Gonzo has one or two more really good years ahead of him but you can be pretty certain that by the second half of this contract the Chiefs will be way overpaying for what his performance will likely warrant.

Throw in the fact that there has been a big movement of the more talented athletes to migrate towards the TE position over the last 5-10 years makes getting good TE's a lot easier than it use to be back in the day when we originally got Gonzo.

It is money I would have never spent especially since the Chiefs have a coach that has little desire to utilize the passing game much. No sense in paying top dollar to have Gonzo stay in block all game long.

FringeNC
01-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Comparing Scott Pioli and Bill Belichick to Carl Peterson and Herman Edwards is laughable. Those two are the best in the business. Carl is average at best, and Herm is at the very bottom of the barrel, slugging it out with Rich Kotite for the "deer in the headlight" award.

We should try to emulate New England, but Carl is too arrogant to admit another GM is smarter than he is.

Skip Towne
01-15-2007, 04:03 PM
One o the reasons Donnie Edwards was jettisoned was that he was making more than all three Pats LB's combined. DV mentioned that and he thought we could do that. We couldn't.

KChiefer
01-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Fourthly, they have game-specific plans. They evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the team they are facing, as well as their own, and they attack accordingly.

Yes. While I too am tired of seeing Indy vs Pats, I'm want to see what offensive scheme the Pats bring. Earlier this year they tore Indy up with the run, but then let them off the hook by forcing passes. I'd say they'd commit to run, but now with Indy selling out against the run it isn't that simple.

BucEyedPea
01-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Your observation is correct. They're football players! :p

Really, now. One does not have to be a rocket scientist or a brain surgeon to be intelligent or intelligent enough for what BB is looking for. Just can't be a dumb jock.

BucEyedPea
01-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Yes. While I too am tired of seeing Indy vs Pats, I'm want to see what offensive scheme the Pats bring. Earlier this year they tore Indy up with the run, but then let them off the hook by forcing passes. I'd say they'd commit to run, but now with Indy selling out against the run it isn't that simple.
Lots of Pats fans thought Josh McDaniels (C) offensive scheme was horrific against Indy as it was trying to make Brady play like Manning with all those passes, including long ones. Especially when they were weak on stopping the running game which was working. Bad game plan imo. OC is young. Still, fans were calling for his head.

Amnorix
01-15-2007, 04:38 PM

Seymour is on a weekly radio show here in Boston. He's no dummy, that's for damn sure.

I haven't heard Vince Wilfork speak as much, so I won't say anything there, I Just don't know.

Amnorix
01-15-2007, 04:43 PM

Multiple receiver sets, 3 or 4 wide, with quick hits up the middle from time to time in the run game.

KC and the Ravens bullheadedly tried power packages and rushing against 8 in the box, foolishly thinking that they could just steamroll them regardless of their defeense.

On defense, the Pats try to take away what you do best. On offense, they try to do whatever you're allowing. Brady's favorite receiver is whoever is open. Their favorite play is whatever will get the most yards with the least risk of disaster or negative yardage.

We saw we couldn't run on SD, and therefore we threw. And threw. And threw and threw and threw. At one point, Brady dropped back to pass 22 striaght times yesterday.

Yesterday was the first time in 27 tries that a team that tried over 50 passes in a playoff game won.

We do whatever will work. If what we're doing isn't working, we try something else. 3 TE power packages to 4 wide and shotgun. Whatever will work.

BucEyedPea
01-15-2007, 04:45 PM
I haven't heard Vince Wilfork speak as much, so I won't say anything there, I Just don't know.
Einstein didn't speak until he was 5. :p Anyhow I believe Wilfork can run the ball now too! ROFL

Skip Towne
01-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Multiple receiver sets, 3 or 4 wide, with quick hits up the middle from time to time in the run game.

KC and the Ravens bullheadedly tried power packages and rushing against 8 in the box, foolishly thinking that they could just steamroll them regardless of their defeense.

On defense, the Pats try to take away what you do best. On offense, they try to do whatever you're allowing. Brady's favorite receiver is whoever is open. Their favorite play is whatever will get the most yards with the least risk of disaster or negative yardage.

We saw we couldn't run on SD, and therefore we threw. And threw. And threw and threw and threw. At one point, Brady dropped back to pass 22 striaght times yesterday.

Yesterday was the first time in 27 tries that a team that tried over 50 passes in a playoff game won.

We do whatever will work. If what we're doing isn't working, we try something else. 3 TE power packages to 4 wide and shotgun. Whatever will work.
My main bitch against Herm is his inability to adjust to the circumstances. I suspect he doesn't know how since he was never a co-ordinator. If they game plan to run they run come hell or high water. All of the other teams know it and exploit it. Even with scrub QB's.

KChiefer
01-15-2007, 04:58 PM

If they stick to this while throwing deep out of some run sets, they'll smoke Indy. I wanna see Manning get owned again. Then it will set up Da Bears for another SB win over the Pats(yeah, right!).

crazycoffey
01-15-2007, 05:41 PM
We don't have Tom Brady

I really don't think Tom is all that good, he's benefited from some good playcalling, and good recievers. If anything the Pats blue print is proof that Football is an ultimate team sport. The majority of the team are good solid performers, but not superstars. If they start to reach superstar status, they let them go.

I'm just getting tired of seeing them win all the time, but good for them.

Brady really sucked most of the time yesterday.

Valiant
01-15-2007, 05:47 PM
adding to last post

Fifthly -- They can evaluate talent -- it took the Chiefs 7 years to figure out Warfield sucked at corner the Pat got it in one pre-season
:banghead: :banghead: :cuss:

BucEyedPea
01-15-2007, 06:15 PM
I really don't think Tom is all that good, he's benefited from some good playcalling, and good recievers. If anything the Pats blue print is proof that Football is an ultimate team sport. The majority of the team are good solid performers, but not superstars. If they start to reach superstar status, they let them go.

You don't watch them play much do you?
Those calls have to also be executed. Their losing year he still had a great year. Name me a QB who is surrounded by talent but doesn't win a SB?

Calcountry
01-15-2007, 06:38 PM
We don't have Tom BradyHere is the secret to the Pats, how did they KNOW Brady would be the fit in their system?

Rain Man
01-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Step 1. Draft a late-round quarterback who plays great in clutch situations in big games.

Step 2. Induce stroke in middle linebacker.

Step 3...

Calcountry
01-15-2007, 06:40 PM
. No sense in paying top dollar to have Gonzo stay in block all game long.But that is exactly what we did.

01-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Really? Then why did they pick up (and discard) Beisel, Warfield and Cloud from the Chiefs? It seems to me they just try out numerous players until they find a fit. Nothing to do with intelligence.
Mangini is the same way..he wants smart flexible players that can digest the scheme..and can play multiple positions in case of injuries and such

01-15-2007, 06:44 PM

:rolleyes:
Brady is a great player..stop being delusional ;)

01-15-2007, 06:47 PM

Exactly..they capitalize on the oppositions weaknesses and maximize their own strengths..

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Exactly..they capitalize on the oppositions weaknesses and maximize their own strengths..

It's amazing how an injection of even the smallest modicum of intelligence and logic gives them such an overwhelming advantage over other teams :shake:

Calcountry
01-15-2007, 06:52 PM

We do whatever will work. If what we're doing isn't working, we try something else. 3 TE power packages to 4 wide and shotgun. Whatever will work.I noticed that, and I also noticed San Diego's response to your always throwing. They just kept blitzing and blitzing and blitzing. They never tried to to cover and have a spy waiting for Brady to run or anything.

Had SD adjusted, your team most assuredly would've adjusted again.

Kansas City on the other hand, would have run run pass punt.

01-15-2007, 06:55 PM
It's amazing how an injection of even the smallest modicum of intelligence and logic gives them such an overwhelming advantage over other teams :shake:
When you go from Kotite to Parcells..and then from Herm to Mangini..it gets magnified tenfold..

Calcountry
01-15-2007, 07:03 PM
It's amazing how an injection of even the smallest modicum of intelligence and logic gives them such an overwhelming advantage over other teams :shake:Heck, let's all become Patriot fans. PBJ

Amnorix
01-15-2007, 07:46 PM

Yes, he was pretty mediocre yesterday, but he's still the best QB in football and you have no idea WTF you're talking about in the first paragraph above.

Belichick has said, repeatedly "there's nobody I'd rather have". Let me tell you -- he never said that about Drew Bledslow or any of the other QBs he's had. He's not just pimping his guy.

Amnorix
01-15-2007, 07:49 PM
I noticed that, and I also noticed San Diego's response to your always throwing. They just kept blitzing and blitzing and blitzing. They never tried to to cover and have a spy waiting for Brady to run or anything.

Had SD adjusted, your team most assuredly would've adjusted again.

Kansas City on the other hand, would have run run pass punt.

Well, a spy waiting for Brady to run isn't really too useful. He's slower than molasses in winter.

You're right that SD didn't adjust that much, which would have forced us to keep readjusting. Of course, if they'd gone with a change that forced us to run more, we might not have had time to complete the comeback.

KCinNY
01-15-2007, 08:17 PM
I really don't think Tom is all that good, he's benefited from some good playcalling, and good recievers.

Yeah those hall of fame WRs like David Patten, Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell and Doug Gabriel.

Hell, Todd Blackledge would win 3 Superbowls with guys like that lining up outside.

dtebbe
01-15-2007, 08:34 PM

You forgot the we talk smack and make the knuckleheads on the other team do stupid things like headbutt at the end of an unsuccessful 4th down play....

That frickin guy should have been cut today!

How that was not offsetting... I'll never understand

DT

milkman
01-15-2007, 09:18 PM

Pot.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Scout really well on the lines...

They spent a 5th Round pick on Ryan O'Callaghan from Cal this year (who I incidentally picked in our Chiefsplanet mock...bizarre) and he wound up being their RT for a good portion of the year....

Not to mention that Ty Warren, Wilfork, and Seymour were all high picks that they f*cking nailed

Whereas we got Sims, Siavii, Freeman, and Downing.

If the Chiefs drafted on the D-Line like the Pats do, we'd have beaten the piss out of them in a couple of AFC title games.

tk13
01-15-2007, 10:07 PM
They're just so smart. I don't know what they do to evaluate players mentally, but they're good at it, they all seem to have decent attitudes and are smart players. Seemed like all the analysts gave SD an advantage because they were more physically talented than NE, and they still didn't win. They just don't ever seem to make more stupid mistakes than the other team.

Smed1065
01-15-2007, 10:22 PM

Everyone, well looking at the season total I would have run or tried on Indy because of where they stood when we played them.

I agree that they also adjust the game plan based on results after the half unlike us...

The first part of your statement makes no sense based on the facts this year, when we played them.

Our strength versus there conceived weakness made sense to me until half time anyway.

I wish we had you as a coach because this week you have been better than 2 NFL coaches, one with the most wins in the regular season-the other in his first year with a new team.

I would like to see your NFL resume besides on Monday morning.

Maybe you should apply?

Nzoner
01-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Heck, let's all become Patriot fans. PBJ

I don't know how anyone who loves football can't be to a certain extent.

I told a much younger friend of mine on Sunday,as a fan of the game enjoy what you've witnessed these last few years because 20 years and beyond from now they'll still be referring to and recalling this era of the game with Brady and the Patriots.

Mecca
01-15-2007, 10:33 PM
We can be like the Pats......lets get a coach that punches photographers.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Everyone, well looking at the season total I would have run or tried on Indy because of where they stood when we played them.

I agree that they also adjust the game plan based on results after the half unlike us...

The first part of your statement makes no sense based on the facts this year, when we played them.

Our strength versus there conceived weakness made sense to me until half time anyway.

I wish we had you as a coach because this week you have been better than 2 NFL coaches, one with the most wins in the regular season-the other in his first year with a new team.

I would like to see your NFL resume besides on Monday morning.

Maybe you should apply?

You do wish you had me as a coach, you dumb motherf*cker.

Smed1065
01-16-2007, 03:11 AM
You do wish you had me as a coach, you dumb motherf*cker.

Yes with your outlook, I imagine we would have class as well as a trophy.

I have my beliefs as well but do not believe I know more than the people making millions at their job.........

Boyceofsummer
01-16-2007, 03:51 AM
You forgot the we talk smack and make the knuckleheads on the other team do stupid things like headbutt at the end of an unsuccessful 4th down play....

That frickin guy should have been cut today!

How that was not offsetting... I'll never understand

DT

OFFSETTING MY ASS! There was never any retaliation. OWNED!

Brock
01-16-2007, 08:43 AM

Yeah, I remember when these same exact things were said about Joe Montana over and over.

Deberg_1990
01-16-2007, 09:12 AM
They just don't ever seem to make more stupid mistakes than the other team.

Agreed...

I always get a good laugh when the TV guys say stuff like "Schottenheimer is a disiplinarian" Then his teams always go out and collect stupid penalties like they did on Sunday. We saw it all the time in KC.