PDA

View Full Version : NFT: How I lost weight and how you can too!

Ecto-I
01-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Occasionally a thread pops up here and there about peoples fitness progress. I recently wrote a posting on my website about how I got in shape a few years ago and I'm hoping that some readers can use my advice. If you're interested check out the article, <a href="http://dailyremedy.blogspot.com/2007/01/from-chubby-to-studdly.html"> From Chubby to Studdly</a>. I would LOVE to here any feedback from you all about the post or my writing in general. Lemme know what you think, and feel free to post any questions!

BucEyedPea
01-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Does your screen name "Ecto" mean you're an ectomorph now?

BTW...well done. You look good.

Bootlegged
01-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Shocker!

Eat right and exercise. Noted.

Sure-Oz
01-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Nice blog dude, I know a few people that should read up on that. It pretty much is common sense but I guess it comes easier to relay from just an avg. joe that went "chubby" to "studly".

runnercyclist
01-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Look for the follow up post on the "management of the unibrow" coming soon

nice work on the weight loss!

Ecto-I
01-15-2007, 06:27 PM

Haha. Its been managed since that picture :D

Ecto-I
01-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Shocker!

Eat right and exercise. Noted.

As I mentioned in the post, this part is obvious. I just think that finding an easy-to-follow approach is important in becoming healthy.

siberian khatru
01-15-2007, 06:30 PM
The hell with the diet. Tell us about all the poon you've been getting since shedding the pounds.

Ecto-I
01-15-2007, 06:31 PM
The hell with the diet. Tell us about all the poon you've been getting since shedding the pounds.

Night and day my friend...night and day.

BTW, that is a Chiefs T-shirt I'm wearing in the second pic.

kcxiv
01-15-2007, 06:33 PM
i went from 375 to 218, and i just cout out soda's and fried foods completely, i didnt go all hardcore on exercise either. I did alot of walking stretching yard work and what not. It just takes a strong mind to cut out crappy food. Its hard, but you can do it.

Ecto-I
01-15-2007, 06:35 PM
i went from 375 to 218, and i just cout out soda's and fried foods completely, i didnt go all hardcore on exercise either. I did alot of walking stretching yard work and what not. It just takes a strong mind to cut out crappy food. Its hard, but you can do it.

Damn, maybe you should be the one writing articles about this!

My thing is I have a major sweet tooth. It's insatiable, so I found a way to work around it.

Well, its time to go exercise, so I'll check back with you all later.

siberian khatru
01-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Night and day my friend...night and day.

I can believe it, just judging by the pics. Excellent job! :clap:

Sure-Oz
01-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Wow. :clap:

Definetly doing stuff and moving around helps alot, alot of people just sit on there ass most of the day. I try to move around and do things at work, where it requires me to sit most of the day. I think alot of people would rather veg on a couch or in front of a tv and eat all day than go do something outside.

Congrats on the weight loss!

Chiefs Pantalones
01-15-2007, 06:58 PM
If someone asks if you're a god, you say YES!!!

angel
01-15-2007, 07:07 PM
dude, you said what I've been thinking for a while, and you have the pictures to prove that it works, and that's all the motivation I need to get back to "hot college chick" mode.

I like the article, and I must say that I'm motivated by it

Redrum_69
01-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Nice job!

Ecto-I
01-15-2007, 09:12 PM
dude, you said what I've been thinking for a while, and you have the pictures to prove that it works, and that's all the motivation I need to get back to "hot college chick" mode.

I like the article, and I must say that I'm motivated by it

That's awsome! That's exactly what I hoped would happen to some who read the article. Now the trick is to not let this be a temporary motivation and to really stick with it.

A lot of people get motivated from time to time but have trouble sticking to it. It happened to me many-a-time before I found a way that works. Good luck and call me when you get back to "hot college chick" mode :D

88TG88
01-15-2007, 09:13 PM
good for u man

angel
01-15-2007, 09:27 PM
That's awsome! That's exactly what I hoped would happen to some who read the article. Now the trick is to not let this be a temporary motivation and to really stick with it.

A lot of people get motivated from time to time but have trouble sticking to it. It happened to me many-a-time before I found a way that works. Good luck and call me when you get back to "hot college chick" mode :D

why? I'm not good enough for you now? :harumph:

seriously, though, I had thought about all the stuff you wrote, and I made getting into shape my new year's resolution. So far, I'm doing okay- I had a crash weekend what with the weather keeping me indoors, but I think I'm actually going to stick with it. Thanks for the motivation!

Ecto-I
01-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Speaking of New Years resolutions, I wrote about mine last week on my webpage. Since last year, I started writing them down (or in this case, putting them on the web). I found it helped me actually come through a little more knowing that at the end of the year I would be scrutinizing my resolution fullfillment.

01-15-2007, 10:50 PM
If someone asks if you're a god, you say YES!!!
Hey Vinkman, how ya doin?

Phobia
01-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Daily Tennis, Basketball, weight training, and 7 mile running?

You sure drive a hard bargain and I'm mighty tempted but I'll just go on being a fat bastard - thanks....

Deberg_1990
01-15-2007, 11:02 PM
so basically, eat healthier, exercise more....got it.

Bob Dole
01-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Does the plan involve cigarettes and beer?

Chiefs Pantalones
01-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Hey Vinkman, how ya doin?

WE CAME, WE SAW, WE KICKED ITS ASS!!!!!!

Phobia
01-15-2007, 11:09 PM
I wrote down my weight loss new years resolution but my wife has already blown it for me:

Sex in the morning and sex at night.
When she agreed to it, she claims she thought that meant twice in 2007, not twice a day.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-15-2007, 11:12 PM
I was just gonna say...8 o'clock.....you're a legitimate phenomena.

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 12:28 AM
Daily Tennis, Basketball, weight training, and 7 mile running?

You sure drive a hard bargain and I'm mighty tempted but I'll just go on being a fat bastard - thanks....

As I mentioned, at that time I was overtraining. The running wasn't necessary to lose the weight, but it sure sped up the process. In fact, I lost weight a little too fast and sacrificed some muscle as well.

My point is that I found sports I thoroughly enjoyed (basketball and tennis) and did them a lot! Therefore, getting the cardiovascular portion of my exercise was both easy and enjoyable.

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 12:49 AM
BTW, for those of you who care about my crazy stories, I'm putting up a good one tomorrow about my experience this weekend thinking that I was, at one point, being kidnapped....

01-16-2007, 12:55 AM
BTW, for those of you who care about my crazy stories, I'm putting up a good one tomorrow about my experience this weekend thinking that I was, at one point, being kidnapped....
Check your PMs.

Chiefs_Fan
01-16-2007, 07:18 AM
Good read. Congratulations!

Stewie
01-16-2007, 07:33 AM
So, I'm wasting $153 per bottle? Crap. Well, the chick selling the pills sure is purty. :)

Good job BTW.

Kraut
01-16-2007, 07:39 AM

ROFL
BTW Good work !!

Bootlegged
01-16-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm tired of the celebrating of the "I just lost 70lbs crowd". How about celebrating those that have managed to stay in shape their entire lives? Listening to someone that just started working out and losing weight preach about fitness is like a first year football fan explaining how to run a 3-4 def.

-off Soapbox.

Eleazar
01-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Nice work man.

I just started running recently, in the past 2-3 months, and I can tell the difference. It's not like I was large and in charge before, but there's a difference for sure.

Brock
01-16-2007, 08:49 AM
I'm tired of the celebrating of the "I just lost 70lbs crowd". How about celebrating those that have managed to stay in shape their entire lives? Listening to someone that just started working out and losing weight preach about fitness is like a first year football fan explaining how to run a 3-4 def.

-off Soapbox.

A very inspiring story. Excuse me, I have the urge to purge.

crazycoffey
01-16-2007, 08:51 AM
My only secret is just to stop shoving food in my face, eat fruit for breakfast and EXERCISE!!!!

ChiTown
01-16-2007, 09:04 AM
My only secret is just to stop shoving food in my face, eat fruit for breakfast and EXERCISE!!!!

It's a constant struggle for me. In my younger days, I could carry 240+ pounds no problem, but that was when I was playing ball.

Now, I have to keep it under 230, and closer to 225 before it starts to take on a life of it's own. My only saving grace is that I'm 6'5. One of the better advantages of being tall.....

BucEyedPea
01-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Now, I have to keep it under 230, and closer to 225 before it starts to take on a life of it's own. My only saving grace is that I'm 6'5. One of the better advantages of being tall.....
Whoooa! With all that gas too! :shake:

ChiTown
01-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Whoooa! With all that gas too! :shake:

I'm truly blessed......

InChiefsHeaven
01-16-2007, 10:05 AM
I have been up and down for a long time. I started working out at the gym last January, and was actually getting some decent results when tendonitis flaired up and I couldn't lift worth a crap. 10 pounds piled back on in no time, because I got lazy again. I'm back at it, and it's frustrating because of all the strength I lost in the 4 months or so that I skipped working out.

My diet is so-so. I have pretzels here at work, and raisins and fruit that I snack on all day. I have a little oatmeal or something for breakfast, then a sammich for lunch most of the time. Then dinner is whatever my wife makes, and it's not always the lowest in fat and calories, but since it's my only big meal of the day, I let myself indulge. I do lose a little weight like this, but I need to make a better commitment to the diet and excercise. I'm trying again. I've only got about 15 pounds that I'd like to lose. I had a trainer give me a body fat check and all that...he wanted me to weigh 168 pounds and carry 5% body fat. Not gonna happen. I weigh right at 200 pounds right now, I'd like to see 180-185. Any less than that, I think is too much weight loss...

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 10:22 AM

-off Soapbox.

The problem with celebrating one who has stayed in shape their entire lives, is that not many people can relate, especially in America. If someone were to ask your advice on getting in shape, my feeling is that you wouldn't have an adequate solution for someone out of shape. Congradulations. You have maintained your fitness your entire life, however in this day and age, you are not the norm but rather the exception.

The reason I feel qualified to share advice is that this whole thing happend between five and six years ago. Since then, I have managed to remain healthy and fit. The tips I offer are biologically valid. Take them if you want.

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 10:24 AM
A very inspiring story. Excuse me, I have the urge to purge.
LMAO

Fairplay
01-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Now lets see how long you can keep it off.

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Now lets see how long you can keep it off.

Its been five years so far...

Stewie
01-16-2007, 11:04 AM
I've only got about 15 pounds that I'd like to lose. I had a trainer give me a body fat check and all that...he wanted me to weigh 168 pounds and carry 5% body fat. Not gonna happen. I weigh right at 200 pounds right now, I'd like to see 180-185. Any less than that, I think is too much weight loss...

I'm 6'4" and according to the "charts" I should weigh around 185 lbs. That ain't happenin'. I was a beanpole when I reached that height and probably weighed around 180. Now I'm comfortable at about 215. If I get below that everyone says I look too thin. Of course, that could be because people are used to looking at overweight people and thinking that's normal. Right now I'm around 230, so I could stand to lose 15 or so. Ecto has given me some inspiration.

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm 6'4" and according to the "charts" I should weigh around 185 lbs. That ain't happenin'. I was a beanpole when I reached that height and probably weighed around 180. Now I'm comfortable at about 215. If I get below that everyone says I look too thin. Of course, that could be because people are used to looking at overweight people and thinking that's normal. Right now I'm around 230, so I could stand to lose 15 or so. Ecto has given me some inspiration.

I'm glad! BTW, the charts are bull***t, if you lift weights at all. Every football player in the NFL is obese, and Gilbert Brown probably shouldn't be alive by those charts.

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 11:12 AM
I am going to try an hit 205 for a tournament the first week of April. That means losing 30 pounds as I will probably put on 5 pounds of muscle between now and then. So much for drinking. 218 is what I was for the last tourney and pretty cut up then. I am usually between 220 and 230 although I have been up over 250 in my younger more muscular days. Losing weight is just a matter of discipline, how much do you have?

Bootlegged
01-16-2007, 11:12 AM
The problem with celebrating one who has stayed in shape their entire lives, is that not many people can relate, especially in America. If someone were to ask your advice on getting in shape, my feeling is that you wouldn't have an adequate solution for someone out of shape. Congradulations. You have maintained your fitness your entire life, however in this day and age, you are not the norm but rather the exception.

The reason I feel qualified to share advice is that this whole thing happend between five and six years ago. Since then, I have managed to remain healthy and fit. The tips I offer are biologically valid. Take them if you want.

Your feeling is that I wouldn't have an adequate solution for someone out of shape? Based on what? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read. How to lose weight is no secret. You must burn more calories than you consume. How you go about it is the only "secret".

Your tips = exercise and eat healthier than you currently are. What a revelation! Tell me more!

It all comes down to discipline, no matter if you are in shape or tons of fun. While the "in shape" people were passing on that donut or pizza or coke, the "fatty" world woofed it down and enjoyed. Then we're supposed to take tips from tubby once he/she has realized that they will die of obesity and celebrate their incredible stories - for simply doing what the rest of us have done all our lives. Got it.

I'm off to go watch Tina Yothers inspirational story on Celebrity Fit Club.

Brock
01-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Then we're supposed to take tips from tubby once he/she has realized that they will die of obesity and celebrate their incredible stories - for simply doing what the rest of us have done all our lives. Got it.

Do you really think you or others who have maintained their physical fitness throughout their lives are the intended audience here?

InChiefsHeaven
01-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Do you really think you or others who have maintained their physical fitness throughout their lives are the intended audience here?

Exactly. Settle down ya freak...

Skyy God
01-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Nice job!

What, no "I lost three lbs yesterday while performing aerobic exercise on your mother"?

InChiefsHeaven
01-16-2007, 11:30 AM

Your sig has given me...something...anyway...

A few years ago I was undergoing some serious stress and wound up losing about 30 lbs in a very short time. While it was indeed not healthy weight loss, it was weight loss. I just remember looking at myself and thinking, holy crap, I need to gain some weight. 180 would be ideal for me, IMO. I'm about 5-11, so I'm not a large person, but the idea of getting down to 167 lbs seems preposterous.

Bootlegged
01-16-2007, 11:31 AM

I think the intended audience is Phil Margera.

Skyy God
01-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Ecto, congrats. My college g/f lost about 60-70 lbs (before I met her). However, she threw in a liberal dose of bulimia and Phen/fen to go with her diet and exercise.

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Your feeling is that I wouldn't have an adequate solution for someone out of shape? Based on what? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read. How to lose weight is no secret. You must burn more calories than you consume. How you go about it is the only "secret".

Your tips = exercise and eat healthier than you currently are. What a revelation! Tell me more!

It all comes down to discipline, no matter if you are in shape or tons of fun. While the "in shape" people were passing on that donut or pizza or coke, the "fatty" world woofed it down and enjoyed. Then we're supposed to take tips from tubby once he/she has realized that they will die of obesity and celebrate their incredible stories - for simply doing what the rest of us have done all our lives. Got it.

I don't pretend that people don't know that they have to eat better and exercise more, but what you suggest is like telling a homeless man all he has to do is build a house!

Now since you're fortunate enough to have always lived in a house, you obviously don't understand the plight of the homeless. Rather than simply saying, "save money and buy a house," I am offering a practical way of doing so. I've been on both sides, and I'm sharing how I "got the house."

Hopefully my analogy isn't too above your head.

Bootlegged
01-16-2007, 11:50 AM
I don't pretend that people don't know that they have to eat better and exercise more, but what you suggest is like telling a homeless man all he has to do is build a house!

Now since you're fortunate enough to have always lived in a house, you obviously don't understand the plight of the homeless. Rather than simply saying, "save money and buy a house," I am offering a practical way of doing so. I've been on both sides, and I'm sharing how I "got the house."

Your analogy is ridiculous and so is your attempt at a patronizing delivery. Ever hear of trainers? By your way of thinking - trainers can't train fat people. Gotcha.

So - you're telling fat people something other than diet/exercise? Right?

Eleazar
01-16-2007, 11:54 AM
sfs

Bootlegged
01-16-2007, 11:55 AM
sfs

Careful - Ecto is getting hungry.

The Bad Guy
01-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Your analogy is ridiculous and so is your attempt at a patronizing delivery. Ever hear of trainers? By your way of thinking - trainers can't train fat people. Gotcha.

So - you're telling fat people something other than diet/exercise? Right?

Does it hurt to sit down with a stick up your butt?

Seriously? Why flame this thread. What's the point?

The guy is offering advice and you're turning it into a personal pitching match.

Did a fat kid steal your girlfriend in high school or something?

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 12:01 PM

Trainers are successful because they know HOW to work with overweight people. People don't shell out cash to trainers just so the trainer can tell them to exercise more. Trainers understand the process it takes and treat each client according to his or her needs and relative fitness level.

Trainers are great for people starting out or who need extra motivation. They don't just tell their clients to exercise. They show them HOW to exercise. I'm simply telling people how I was able to integrate exercise and healthy eating in my diet in a way that was easy to transition to and maintain.

Obviously you don't appreciate the artice. Feel free to ignore it.

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 12:02 PM

Understand it, of course he does. I ran health clubs most of my life and have got boat loads of fatties in shape. I have always been in shape myself. I don't think it's fair to say people who have maintained their weight their entire life don't understand the plight of fatties. In fact I think it's quite the opposite, they understand how to succeed in weight management. They are the ones you should be listening too. Having been fat and then in shape later doesn't make you special or have a deeper understanding, it just means you finally got your shit together when others have had it together their entire life.

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Understand it, of course he does. I ran health clubs most of my life and have got boat loads of fatties in shape. I have always been in shape myself. I don't think it's fair to say people who have maintained their weight their entire life don't understand the plight of fatties. In fact I think it's quite the opposite, they understand how to succeed in weight management. They are the ones you should be listening too. Having been fat and then in shape later doesn't make you special or have a deeper understanding, it just means you finally got your shit together when others have had it together their entire life.

I don't disagree with you and certainly don't claim to be anymore qualified than a personal trainer or dietition. There are definitely some people though whose are naturally "thin" either by genetics, natural lifestyle, or both.

I offer advice because I know how I lost weight and how others can too...similar to Mr. Fitness world or whatever. I feel semi-knowledgable on the matter both from my own experience, and all the literature I have read.

Bootlegged
01-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Does it hurt to sit down with a stick up your butt?

Seriously? Why flame this thread. What's the point?

The guy is offering advice and you're turning it into a personal pitching match.

Did a fat kid steal your girlfriend in high school or something?

Yes, Frank.. That is what happened.

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't disagree with you and certainly don't claim to be anymore qualified than a personal trainer or dietition. There are definitely some people though whose are naturally "thin" either by genetics, natural lifestyle, or both.

I offer advice because I know how I lost weight and how others can too...similar to Mr. Fitness world or whatever. I feel semi-knowledgable on the matter both from my own experience, and all the literature I have read.

I need to start being very disciplined to get down to 205. I am not even sure I can do it considering I have never been there before. I know I better start getting serious about it though. I will be shredded like a MO if I hit it though. I look lean at 225.

Bootlegged
01-16-2007, 12:14 PM

:clap:

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 12:14 PM
I need to start being very disciplined to get down to 205. I am not even sure I can do it considering I have never been there before. I know I better start getting serious about it though. I will be shredded like a MO if I hit it though. I look lean at 225.

Are you training for a powerlifting or bodybuilding competition???

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Yes, Frank.. That is what happened.

Less talk...more cowbell :D

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Are you training for a powerlifting or bodybuilding competition???

Jiu-Jitsu tournament. Pan American Games. Trying to make the 205 pound weight class intead of 220. I'm really cut at 220 so it should make it interesting.

Brock
01-16-2007, 12:30 PM
I don't think it's fair to say people who have maintained their weight their entire life don't understand the plight of fatties. In fact I think it's quite the opposite, they understand how to succeed in weight management..

Some of them do, and some of them have the genetics to not have to worry about it.

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Whatever you do, don't get caught at like 206-210, otherwise that next weight class is gonna be a biz-nitch.

Baby Lee
01-16-2007, 12:37 PM

-off Soapbox.
I know!! I can totally relate. You see, I've been intelligent all my life, and have no interest in celebrating your story when you finally grow a brain.

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Whatever you do, don't get caught at like 206-210, otherwise that next weight class is gonna be a biz-nitch.

10 days out if I am within 10 pounds I should be good. I would like to be like 5 pounds out then. If I can't get that close I'll start grubbing.

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Some of them do, and some of them have the genetics to not have to worry about it.

Back to the house analogy, I have lived in a house (and condo and apt..) all my life, yet if someone asked me how they could go about getting one, all I could really tell them is to save and invest until they have enough. I have a stable shelter, yet I'm not knowledgable on all of the different financing and loopholes that exist. I'm the skinny guy who never did anything special to stay that way.

The guy needing advice would be better off going either to someone who found stable shelter from nothing (the guy who's lost weight), or from someone very knowledgable on the matter (the trainer)...but not me.

And speaking of real estate, I'm looking to buy soon, so if you know a lot about it, holla atcha boy!

Bootlegged
01-16-2007, 12:41 PM
I know!! I can totally relate. You see, I've been intelligent all my life, and have no interest in celebrating your story when you finally grow a brain.

BL - you diva, you!

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 12:44 PM

Very few can just eat a bunch of junk food all the time and maintain a healthy weight when they get older. Most people who eat shit look like shit which explains why we have such a huge problem with obesity in this country. I'll tell ya if people just wouldn't eat or drink booze 3 hours before they went to bed it would make a huge difference combined with 30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week.

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Very few can just eat a bunch of junk food all the time and maintain a healthy weight when they get older. Most people who eat shit look like shit which explains why we have such a huge problem with obesity in this country. I'll tell ya if people just wouldn't eat or drink booze 3 hours before they went to bed it would make a huge difference combined with 30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week.

Its funny because late-night eating is worst time to eat, but everybody does it. Eating out of boredom.

Eleazar
01-16-2007, 12:52 PM
I'll tell ya if people just wouldn't eat or drink booze 3 hours before they went to bed it would make a huge difference ...

Why does it matter what time of day you eat?

Bootlegged
01-16-2007, 12:55 PM

Unless you have the jimmy-leg or masturbate in your sleep - you don't burn many calories at night. Plus your body is prone - so digestion is an issue. Unless you're a Munster.

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 12:56 PM

Because you don't metabolize the food after you eat it. You just go to bed and store it as fat. Better yet eat 3-4 hours before you go to bed and make it a protein meal. Alchohol kills dieting BTW. I should probably quit right now except for the SB to make weight.

Eleazar
01-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Better yet eat 3-4 hours before you go to bed and make it a protein meal.

What do you mean by a protein meal? Just anything with a lot of protein, or something more specialized?

Thanks for the info. :thumb:

InChiefsHeaven
01-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Ah yes, then their is the alcohol, which I enjoy dearly. That's the biggest stumbling block in my diet. I enjoy a drink in the evenings, and on weekends I can be downright stupid. Not as bad as when I was young, but still something I need to cut back on.

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 01:06 PM
What do you mean by a protein meal? Just anything with a lot of protein, or something more specialized?

Something high in protein and low in carbohydrates. When you sleep carbohydrates are more readily stored as fat since your metabolic rate is down. Protein is a great muscle builder, and since testerone levels are high when you sleep, they work in conjunction to build/repair your muscles.

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Ah yes, then their is the alcohol, which I enjoy dearly. That's the biggest stumbling block in my diet. I enjoy a drink in the evenings, and on weekends I can be downright stupid. Not as bad as when I was young, but still something I need to cut back on.

Well, I'm young and I'm downright stupid on the weekends :D

Skyy God
01-16-2007, 01:13 PM

Rep. I get tired of genetics being trotted out as an excuse. American caucasians have essentially the same genetics as Europeans, and every time I go abroad I'm astounded at how much fatter we are.

Simple steps, really. Skim instead of 2%. Diet soda instead of regular. Bigger lunches than dinners. Eating proteins before carbs in meals.

Bootlegged
01-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Rep. I get tired of genetics being trotted out as an excuse. American caucasians have essentially the same genetics as Europeans, and every time I go abroad I'm astounded at how much fatter we are.

Simple steps, really. Skim instead of 2%. Diet soda instead of regular. Bigger lunches than dinners. Eating proteins before carbs in meals.

Shhh. Don't harsh the blogomercial mellow.

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 01:21 PM

Like ecto said you don't want carbs because they are more readily turned into fat. One of the things I eat consistantly when making weight is roast chicken with some hot sauce on it. That's it, final meal of the day. That being said I want to say something about health in general. I am not an Atkins guy. I am always at the weight I want to be except when trying to make weight for a tourney. That being said once you're there I eat all the healthy food I want. Truth is it's easier on your body to digest and process carbs. That's why you carbo load the day before a fight, you feel much better the next day. My other problem with Atkins is they don't care about how much fat you take in as long as you're losing weight. That's just ****ing stupid. Fat does matter as does getting a regular intake of fresh fruit and vegies preferably organic and raw when possible. It's not rocket science guys it's really pretty simple. Eat good quality food, don't eat before going to bed and do cardio 3 x a week preferably skipping a day and you will be in great shape. Cardio of over 20 minutes picks up your metabolism rate for 72 hours after you do it. You will burn more calories than you ordinarily would during that time. It's not just the calories you burn doing the cardio.

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 01:23 PM

Genetics are not a good excuse. Very few people have "poor" genetics conducive to storing fat. If they do, its likely a medical problem. Most of us either have "good" genes where we can get away with eating whatever we want and stay slim, or "average" genes where we need to watch what we eat.

Mosbonian
01-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Shhh. Don't harsh the blogomercial mellow.

While I applaud you for "maintaining" your weight all your life, if being skinny and buff was all it took to live a longer life, all the fat people, smokers, overeaters, etc, would all be dead and the only thing left would be all the "pretty people".

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Some of the most "in shape" people fall dead from illnesses that being in shape won't help.

I lost 55 lbs 3 years ago and have kept it off since....how did I get "fat" you ask? Well, it wasn't all a desk job, although that contributed to it. There were other maladies that prevented me from exercising and staying in shape.

Once again, I applaud you for "maintenance"....that is an acomplishment in itself. But why blast others who haven't had you sense of committment. What in your life have you failed at that they have been successful at?

mmaddog

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 01:26 PM

Soda is probably the biggest problems in this country. Loaded with sugar and will put weight on you like a MO. Go diet and it's even worse for you. Diet soda and the artificial sweetners they use are the most acidic food in the world making your body a breeding ground for all disease. Needless to say I almost never drink soda. I can't remember the last time I had one. If I did it would be regular soda though.

ChiTown
01-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Soda is probably the biggest problems in this country. Loaded with sugar and will put weight on you like a MO. Go diet and it's even worse for you. Diet soda and the artificial sweetners they use are the most acidic food in the world making your body a breeding ground for all disease. Needless to say I almost never drink soda. I can't remember the last time I had one. If I did it would be regular soda though.

Diet Coke is my vice. 2 12oz cans per day during the week. None on the weekends.

Does anybody have diet drink substitutes that they can offer. I already drink water, I'm looking for caffeine (and I hate coffee and tea). tks

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 01:33 PM
For those of you interested in health in general one of the things you can do is take a good look at the salt you use. I googled it quick. The article looks OK. There is definately something to this.

http://www.curezone.com/foods/saltcure.asp

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Diet Coke is my vice. 2 12oz cans per day during the week. None on the weekends.

Does anybody have diet drink substitutes that they can offer. I already drink water, I'm looking for caffeine (and I hate coffee and tea). tks

Just out of curiousity how many times a year do you get sick since drinking that much diet soda?

ChiTown
01-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Just out of curiousity how many times a year do you get sick since drinking that much diet soda?

Never.

Other than catching a cold from being around my kids.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Pop is absolutely terrible. A nutritionist I saw told me all pop is basically like drinking fat, and diet pop is worse. I started eating right, along with my working out, years ago, and still couldn't get results, as far as my abs. Well...it all starts in the kitchen, and ever since I stopped drinking pop, it's been awesome. Girls are easy to come by when I hit the beach, pool, etc.

My friends call me Abercody & Fitch. hehe

Bootlegged
01-16-2007, 01:43 PM
While I applaud you for "maintaining" your weight all your life, if being skinny and buff was all it took to live a longer life, all the fat people, smokers, overeaters, etc, would all be dead and the only thing left would be all the "pretty people".

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Some of the most "in shape" people fall dead from illnesses that being in shape won't help.

I lost 55 lbs 3 years ago and have kept it off since....how did I get "fat" you ask? Well, it wasn't all a desk job, although that contributed to it. There were other maladies that prevented me from exercising and staying in shape.

Once again, I applaud you for "maintenance"....that is an acomplishment in itself. But why blast others who haven't had you sense of committment. What in your life have you failed at that they have been successful at?

mmaddog

In no way am I blasting anyone except those who are now experts and writing fitness blogomercials. You too can lose weight...

That - is what I take issue with. I fully understand there are reasons for being out of shape.

Put it this way - if you've been an auto mechanic for 25 years and then someone who installs their first fuel pump writes a book on automechanics - wouldn't you feel that they are open to criticism or may lack some credibility?

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Pop is absolutely terrible. A nutritionist I saw told me all pop is basically like drinking fat, and diet pop is worse. I started eating right, along with my working out, years ago, and still couldn't get results, as far as my abs. Well...it all starts in the kitchen, and ever since I stopped drinking pop, it's been awesome. Girls are easy to come by when I hit the beach, pool, etc.

My friends call me Abercody & Fitch. hehe

I see some DenverChief fan mail cumming your way sometime soon. LMAO

Bootlegged
01-16-2007, 01:49 PM

Ha.

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 01:49 PM
In no way am I blasting anyone except those who are now experts and writing fitness blogomercials. You too can lose weight...

That - is what I take issue with. I fully understand there are reasons for being out of shape.

Put it this way - if you've been an auto mechanic for 25 years and then someone who installs their first fuel pump writes a book on automechanics - wouldn't you feel that they are open to criticism or may lack some credibility?

I think experience is one of the biggest boosters of credibility. THis is not something that happened just yesterday. Its something I have practiced and researched for SEVEN YEARS.

Feel free to review all of the information I have shared both here and on my page, and point out any innacuracy. I feel my knowledge on fitness is above average and I chose to share what I know. If you don't find me credible, then feel free to ignore my advice.

ChiTown
01-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Like I said, Diet Coke is my vice, but I eat right and exercise 5-6 times per week - even when I travel. I just need a caffeine subst that isn't coffee or tea.

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Like I said, Diet Coke is my vice, but I eat right and exercise 5-6 times per week - even when I travel. I just need a caffeine subst that isn't coffee or tea.
When do you need the boost in the morning or evening?

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 01:55 PM

I have gone through many spells of drinking a lot of diet soda, but personally, I almost never get sick. My diet soda consumption has not affected me noticeably. I agree, artificial sweetner is probably not the best for you, but for some people, I think its a better option (at least temporarily) than the obscene amounts of sugar in regular soda.

ChiTown
01-16-2007, 01:57 PM
When do you need the boost in the morning or evening?

1st thing in the morning and right after lunch, which is when I down my 12oz cans of DC.

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Chi,

BTW my Achilles heal is drinking. I am about to stop period to make weight. My goal moving forward is to cut my dinking back by at least 80% moving forward after that. It's the single biggest thing I could do to improve my health. Now that it looks like I am bringing in another life into this world it would be good to he/she grow up and have their own family. I am doing everything else right so I should be good to go if I can just do that.

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 02:00 PM
1st thing in the morning and right after lunch, which is when I down my 12oz cans of DC.

Do you get an hour for lunch?

ChiTown
01-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Do you get an hour for lunch?

Heh.

I work for myself, so my lunch break starts and stops whenever the hell I say so. So, yeah. :)

Chiefs Pantalones
01-16-2007, 02:09 PM

:eek:

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Heh.

I work for myself, so my lunch break starts and stops whenever the hell I say so. So, yeah. :)

I don't do caffein that much any more. Recently I started doing my jiu-jitsu training at lunch. The cardio means I am not tired the rest of the day. If you can do 30 minutes of cardio you won't need the caffein. Your endorphins also kick in after going 30 minutes. When I didn't need the boost in the afternoon I noticed I slept better therefore not needing a boost as often in the morning although I did have a shot of espresso this morning.

There are products you can find probably in a health food store that contain caffein but have other more healthful properties to them. One is a juice drink made from a berry called Acai which is suppose to have more anti-oxidants per serving than anything else in the world. It has a natural source of caffein in it. There are other products like this as well. Some people are not thrilled about the taste of this berry but I'm down with it, it's OK.

http://www.zolaacai.com/superfood.html

BTW you can find this product at Whole Foods or Costco.

ChiTown
01-16-2007, 02:23 PM
I don't do caffein that much any more. Recently I started doing my jiu-jitsu training at lunch. The cardio means I am not tired the rest of the day. If you can do 30 minutes of cardio you won't need the caffein. Your endorphins also kick in after going 30 minutes. When I didn't need the boost in the afternoon I noticed I slept better therefore not needing a boost as often in the morning although I did have a shot of espresso this morning.

There are products you can find probably in a health food store that contain caffein but have other more healthful properties to them. One is a juice drink made from a berry called Acai which is suppose to have more anti-oxidants per serving than anything else in the world. It has a natural source of caffein in it. There are other products like this as well. Some people are not thrilled about the taste of this berry but I'm down with it, it's OK.

Cool, thanks man.

BTW, Congrats on the child. I had not heard you were going to be a Father. What's the arrival date?

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Cool, thanks man.

BTW, Congrats on the child. I had not heard you were going to be a Father. What's the arrival date?

She is 2 months in right now. Whey protein, fresh organic fruits and vegies and only a very small amount of meat. It's already driving her nuts. LMAO

Do cardio at lunch as much as you can, it makes a huge difference.

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 03:41 PM

Green tea is also excellent for you.

Baby Lee
01-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Green tea is also excellent for you.
No milk (http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-briefly15.2jan15,1,2796371.story?coll=la-headlines-health)

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 04:03 PM
No milk (http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-briefly15.2jan15,1,2796371.story?coll=la-headlines-health)

Whoa! I didn't know about that. Thanks for the link.

Simplex3
01-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Gawd, milk in tea. WTF is wrong with the Brits. :shake:

Simplex3
01-16-2007, 04:06 PM
She is 2 months in right now. Whey protein, fresh organic fruits and vegies and only a very small amount of meat. It's already driving her nuts. LMAO

Do cardio at lunch as much as you can, it makes a huge difference.
Holy Jesus. Big Daddy is going to be a daddy. Isn't this some kind of sign of the apocalypse?

BucEyedPea
01-16-2007, 04:15 PM

Well, that may explain all that gas you claim to have. You're just full of bubbles, sir!:)

I got off all diet soda,on a regular basis from a health point of view. Only I occassionally had it at the cinema. Stopped completely when I got pregnant.

You might try that fruit flavored water...even the bubbly kind if you insist.
Or lemonade.

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Holy Jesus. Big Daddy is going to be a daddy. Isn't this some kind of sign of the apocalypse?

LMAO, hopefully I get a boy. I have a godson I worked with a lot but I am looking forward to having to having my own.

Rausch
01-16-2007, 04:22 PM
LMAO, hopefully I get a boy. I have a godson I worked with a lot but I am looking forward to having to having my own.

Forget it.

Guys like us have daughters that grow up and date guys like us... :banghead:

BucEyedPea
01-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Congrats BD!

But I gotta ask, as another person who is into health....she's only using whey protein? A preg woman needs quite a bit of protein. Is that enough?

Also, B12 can only be gotten with red meat as a natural source anyway.

I juiced all kinds of raw veggies during mine...but I ate from all sources of protein for a variety of sources. Fish, red meat, chicken, pork, eggs, cheese.
Thank god, my morning sickness and thereafter would not let my body eat sugar. It made me sick just lookin' at it.

I hope you have twins...a girl and a boy. I'd love to see your reaction to your daughter and guys by age 16! :p

Skip Towne
01-16-2007, 04:26 PM

Funny, I never pictured you as a fat ass.

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Congrats BD!

But I gotta ask, as another person who is into health....she's only using whey protein? A preg woman needs quite a bit of protein. Is that enough?

I juiced all kinds of raw veggies during mine...but I ate from all sources of protein for a variety of sources. Fish, red meat, chicken, pork, eggs, cheese.
Thank god, my morning sickness and thereafter would not let my body eat sugar. It made me sick just lookin' at it.

whey has got all the amino acids. She eats some hard boiled eggs too. A little meat but not too much her system is very prone to high blood pressure so we stay away from red meat. We are just getting out the sickness phase. She is doing all her prenatal vitamins. You have to watch the mercury in fish. She can have it but only in small quantities.

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Forget it.

Guys like us have daughters that grow up and date guys like us... :banghead:

Don't tell me that. :cuss:

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Congrats BD!

I hope you have twins...a girl and a boy. I'd love to see your reaction to your daughter and guys by age 16! :p

My mother is vegetarian which leads me to believe that high protein isn't essential during pregnancy. After all, I turned out...well...fabulous!

BucEyedPea
01-16-2007, 04:30 PM
whey has got all the amino acids. She eats some hard boiled eggs too. A little meat but not too much her system is very prone to high blood pressure so we stay away from red meat. We are just getting out the sickness phase. She is doing all her prenatal vitamins. You have to watch the mercury in fish. She can have it but only in small quantities.
Oh it does. Cool. I have Type O blood so I do well on red meat and if I don't I' get pernicious anemia. I thought the mercury in fish was more the oily fish though. The sickness phase is a real drag.

BucEyedPea
01-16-2007, 04:32 PM
My mother is vegitarian which leads me to believe that high protein isn't essential during pregnancy. After all, I turned out...well...fabulous!
I understand. There is that school of thought. I don't subscribe to it though.
However, we all need a different amount. I believe in metabolic typing regarding diets fyi.

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Oh it does. Cool. I have Type O blood so I do well on red meat and if I dont' I've get pernicious anemia. I thought the mercury in fish was more the oily fish though. The sickness phase is a real drag.

Yea well dealing with those hormones is no joke and don't bring up the fact that their wacked because of them either. LMAO

Pre-digested whey is the bomb.

When did you have your child?

BucEyedPea
01-16-2007, 04:40 PM
1993 I think I told you that.

Are you sayin' the woman are whacked from the hormones? I think so.
I think different women react differently. I was extremely happy being pregnant...and people noticed it too.

BIG_DADDY
01-16-2007, 04:52 PM
1993 I think I told you that.

Are you sayin' the woman are whacked from the hormones? I think so.
I think different women react differently. I was extremely happy being pregnant...and people noticed it too.

I am hoping this too will pass like the sickness. I went down this road a long time ago but she was really young and didn't have sickness or the emotional rollercoaster thing going on. Actually Rina has been pretty good we have only had one bad day. I don't bite into that shit either which I think may create more problems than just letting them blow off steam. "Yell at the wall because I am not arguing with you" LMAO

Eleazar
01-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Funny, I never pictured you as a fat ass.

I'm 6'3", and I weigh about 190lbs. If you called me a fatass you'd be the first person ever.

Bootlegged
01-16-2007, 05:09 PM
I'm 6'3", and I weigh about 190lbs. If you called me a fatass you'd be the first person ever.

Fatass.

I wanted to be 2nd.

:p

Skip Towne
01-16-2007, 05:13 PM
I just assumed everybody interested in this thread had a weight problem. I find it extremely boring.

Adept Havelock
01-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Recently I started doing my jiu-jitsu training at lunch.

:hmmm:

KChiefs1
01-16-2007, 05:52 PM
I went from 396lbs to my current weight of 233lbs in the last two years. I've hit a weight plateau that I can't bust through though. I'd like to get down to 210lbs but these last 25lbs have been a bitch.

any suggestions on how to bust this plateau?

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 05:58 PM
I went from 396lbs to my current weight of 233lbs in the last two years. I've hit a weight plateau that I can't bust through though. I'd like to get down to 210lbs but these last 25lbs have been a bitch.

any suggestions on how to bust this plateau?

My best suggestion would be to change up your workouts. Change the exercises your doing. If you're weight training, change the amount of weight, number of repetitions, and actual exercises you're doing. Try making your workouts shorter, but more intense. If you usually do the elliptical for cardio, try the stairmaster or bike. Again change the duration and intensity.

By changing, you are hitting your body from a different angle than the workout it has now adapted to. Keeping the body out of its "comfort zone" is important in making fitness gains.

I don't know how long you've been in this plateau, but in my experience, weight comes of in streaks. I mith lose 5 lbs in a week, then go two without changing, only to lose another 3 lbs the next week. Hope this helps and keep up the good work! :thumb:

Sure-Oz
01-16-2007, 06:27 PM
I was called a fatass by a woman the other day and I am 6'2 182lbs. She weighs more than me and has a size 12 shoe and bigger hands than me! Needless to say i started my regular run after that. I've cut pop out of my diet, but yes alcohol is a killer. I tend to social drink on weekends, but it could be worse i could be drinking pop and alchy all week. Def. eat healthier with more fruits and veggies during breakfast and lunch.

Fairplay
01-16-2007, 07:25 PM
I was called a fatass by a woman the other day and I am 6'2 182lbs.

Dude i am 6'0 and 185, i would hardly call you a fat with those measurements.

Ecto-I
01-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Dude i am 6'0 and 185, i would hardly call you a fat with those measurements.

Whoa. I'm 6'2" and 205. If you all are fat, I'm in trouble... :deevee: